H.R.3200 - America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009

America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 view all titles (5)

• Official: America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To provide affordable, quality health care for all Americans and reduce the growth in health care spending, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as reported to house.

Displaying 61-90 of 2046 total comments.

nfcooper 09/11/2009 3:42pm

So who do the doctors work for now? Insurance companies?

pandawa 09/24/2009 12:02pm

its currently not free. doctors dont even do it because insurance companies don’t think it is part of primary care.
    under this plan, you can only “abuse” (?) it once every 5 years (more than enough if done thoroughly)and it is paid for. win win win.
    “because the patient has been sold on the idea that their life is not worth living.”
    wow. that’s dark and simply wrong. your logic is dizzyingly vague and misleading.

escondido 08/31/2009 9:01am

Where do you think the government gets its money? Look in the mirror. You probably also think the bill means “free” health care for all.

nfcooper 09/11/2009 3:05pm

I was born and raised in the South. Most of my family still lives there. I am still surprised at how many well educated southerners don’t believe in a living will. Many of them don’t even have any type of will. As I speak to family members, I find that most are ignorant to doing anything to protect their family in a time of grief. Many have said to me that they don’t care what happens after they die. I love the south, my husband and I plan to retire there. However, it’s frustrating sometimes when dealing with life and death issues and the mindset of people who are born and raised there with limited world exposure. I do believe that much of this debate is due to prejudice of any change, not necessarily race.

escondido 08/31/2009 8:58am

Why do you think it should be up to the government to do this for you? Take responsibility for yourself and make use of a multitude of readily available resources to create a living will.

merrilln 09/11/2009 5:44pm

In my opinion, the death panel, refers to the Health Advsory Council (bureaucrats) who will be sitting on a panel deciding whether you will get the drugs and procedures you need. If you get denied, then you could die, or (Ezekiel Emmanuel) if you are 70 or 80, you might get turned down because the money would be better spent on someone younger with a longer life left to live.

pandawa 09/24/2009 12:05pm

Instead of buying the $120/dose pill, the government will buy a generic $5/dose pill that does the exact same thing.
    how does this not make sense to you.

legal1 10/17/2009 8:06am

Makes excellent sense to me….

berlin 08/18/2009 8:48am

Do you honestly still believe in “death panels”? Obviously the news has been telling you something… like FOX News.

Do your research and quit being a sheep.

scottowego 08/19/2009 6:22am

Right on! I can see a guy dressed up like Darth Vader coming into my hospital room with a clipboard and breathing heavily (you know how he does it) over my shoulder while I sign my life away ! How could ANYONE in this country believe such bull shiite? Like I came right out and asked my 82 year old aunt… “do you REALLY believe this country would kill you to save money”? I was shocked when she said yes. 82 years old and that’s the kind of faith she has in our system and family? Some people think their families, friends, lawyers and representatives…. also their churches would go along with this???? YIKES and Carrumba!

ArmyMason 08/26/2009 8:33pm

It’s not that they are going to kill you off, it’s that they have no means to really support such a health care program. With so many people requesting treatment their wouldn’t be enough to go around. Remember a few years ago when the flu vaccine was bad and everyone wanted the vaccine but their wasn’t enough to go around. What happened? They rationed the stuff and only the most needy got the shot. Same will happen under a one government plan like Obama has provided us. Don’t even think this bill competes with private insurance, all it will do is drive up premiums until they cant afford to stay in business anymore and all we will be left with is rationed health care. Want a prime example of Government run health programs, look at the VA. Poor conditions in the hospitals, rationing of medication (no bull they make me cut my pills in half in order to save a buck), lower quality care and long wait times.

Filtered Comment [ show ]

StreetBeaver 08/27/2009 5:49pm

Uba,I am suprised that you ignored the “army” part of Mason’s name. I would surmise he is getting the only working example of government controlled healthcare we have to see currently. VA care. thats right the fgorce that brought you homeless and ignored veterans under BOTH parties. The very thought that people are blinded by the desire to rob their neighbours so completely baffles me. (again,I am libertarian and therefore easily confused)at least where the shredding of our constitution is concerned. Healthcare is just a toe in the door toward complete government control of our lives . EVERY choice you make affects your health and if our “servants” can justify lifestyle changes for a greater good you can rest assured that they will. I only ask that we learn what we can and base our comments on facts rather than our unreasonable hatred for a party or an individual

KISS 08/30/2009 1:56pm

Hey Uba, You sound like a coward. Why don’t you get a little courage, go to Afganistan and earn your right to be an American?

uba 08/31/2009 1:43am

hey kiss, I’ll sign up for Afghanistan as soon as the military takes 68 year old women! hee, hee, hee!

HEALTH CARE REFORM NOW!

SouthSideScotty 09/01/2009 11:42am

Then maybe you can find some kind of reading comprehension class at the local community college before you go mouthing off about the opinion of someone who has obviously gone out and got a job, serving our country. To suggest a veteran of the military is leaching off our country because he is using the substandard services of the VA is beyond the pale.

uba 09/01/2009 12:02pm

Last I heard, we have a voluntary army – I didn’t ask him to fight in a war that was illegal to begin with – if he’s not satisfied with the FREE substandard services of the VA then he should get private insurance and not look a gift horse in the mouth!!

scorsey 09/05/2009 1:21pm

You can also get the same private insurance. whether he fought in an “illegal war” is purely your opinion. Even if he did fight in iraq or afganistan he still deserves to be taken care of by the system, same as all vetrans. I think they deserve it more than the leetches we got in our government sucking the nation’s wealth dry, serving nothing more than thier own self intrests. The vetrans of this country deserve to have everything they need as they gave everything to protect the rights and freedoms of all, wherever they may have fought. oh and another thing, the fact that it is a volunteer army makes everyone who joins and serves in times of conflict even more deserving in my opinion. I’m also wondering wether you want health care reform or free health care? because what they are offering now is not heathcare reform. It is a government takeover pure and simple.

sjheine 09/10/2009 6:51pm

Your disrespect is disgraceful. I hope that if you ever need defending he is busy serving someone who deserves it and you are left to fend for yourself. If you are unsuccessful, it won’t be a great loss.

pandawa 09/24/2009 12:12pm

ooh autocrats have teeth. just call me the dentist.
    service is great. however (as per my comment above), military service doesn’t make you more or less american. for example, you could serve your countryman by taking 1-2% out of your paycheck (as I will gladly do if this is passed) and help others in need?
    Thats right. you wouldn’t because you think obama is a fascist socialist dictator. how much of your rhetoric is what you actually think and how much of it is what Faux News tell you?
    Im guessing 20% originality.

oderintdummetuant 09/24/2009 2:34pm

Pandawa, your “logic” seems…well jacked up. Why aren’t you already contributing 1-2% of your paycheck to help your fellow countryman? Thats the difference between us and you. You keep waiting for something to make the world a better place, we are doing it now. Thats what makes us more of an American than you.

cbsullivan16 10/13/2009 11:54am

If you’ve done something regarding healthcare that makes the world a better place, I’ve missed it. Last I checked, we’re still 37th in the world for healthcare quality even though we spend the most. So good job on that…

oderintdummetuant 10/13/2009 1:12pm

cbsullivan, if you want to know what I’ve done for this country’s well being, we can discuss that. My point is that its not my duty, responsibility or place to better “healthcare”. Its my duty, responsibility and place to provide my own healthcare, and not one iota of responsibility falls on me to do, provide, make possible anything for you…other than freedom which I do provide.
    Where do we stand in terms of survival rates? Quality of life? Tell me those numbers sport.

LucasFoxx 10/13/2009 5:44pm

Isn’t that amazing? We have some of the best health care in the world, but so many can’t afford the insurance and don’t get basic care, we rank low among our peer countries in quality of life and longevity. We even rank lower than Cuba in infant mortality rates, and they’re a 3rd world country. than we do. The selfishness and arrogance in this country embarasses me sometimes.

abaratar 10/18/2009 7:05pm

read before you comment, we have the second longest life expectancy of all industrialized nations when you subtract suicides, car wrecks and murders, we are a violent society and drive more then just about anywhere in the word. Cuba and the countries they are comparing us too do not consider a baby to be a live birth if a child is born weighing less then a pound or born premature or if it dies within 48 hours after birth, in the US all children born 5 ounces or above with a pulse are considered a live birth that counts against us numbers wise.

what you should really be embarrassed about is your lack of research before making a stupid comment.

LucasFoxx 10/19/2009 6:22pm

You’re pretty quick with the stupid comments yourself.

Which study is your puppet master having you quote from?
    It’s not the World Health Organization’s, unless you are referring to the HALE estimates computed using standard categories and methods to ensure cross-national comparability. Those numbers still have us behind France, UK, Netherlands, Singapore, Spain…at least dozen others. A long ways behind Switzerland 73/76 m/f

The same report has under-5 mortality rate (probability of dying by age 5 per 1000 live births)has us behind France, Greece, Spain, Austria, Germany, Italy, Canada, ….. Let’s stop there.

Which of those countries don’t consider a child born with a pulse a live birth?

abaratar 10/20/2009 10:49pm

But, Canada is not alone. In Holland, where they also have socialized medicine, they set an age limit for which premature babies will be given care. The Times Online reported that in Holland, doctors do not routinely administer intensive care to babies born before 25 weeks of pregnancy. Premature babies would not routinely be resuscitated if they fell below this age limit. Great Britain has also considered this policy due to the high cost of treating premature babies. This is truly unfortunate considering the fact that the survival chances have greatly improved recently for premature babies.

LucasFoxx 10/21/2009 5:47pm

And yet we still lag behind them in life expectancy and Under-5 mortality rate. That’s the problem.

abaratar 10/21/2009 6:17pm

In the under 5 mortality because we try to save many more preemiess and babies with defects, the countries you are comparing us to simply let those kids die soon after birth(and never count them as being alive)

LucasFoxx 10/22/2009 4:48pm

Only after they check your insurance.