H.R.3200 - America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009

America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 view all titles (5)

• Official: America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To provide affordable, quality health care for all Americans and reduce the growth in health care spending, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 as reported to house.

Displaying 1-30 of 2046 total comments.

Andrea1318 07/14/2009 4:43pm
+ 23
in reply to glr Jul 14, 2009 12:03pm

We should strive for healthcare for all Americans but anything that has to be rushed through is suspect. Quite frankly, we can’t afford it. Sorry but I don’t trust politicians who make promises and I’m certain that if this gets rammed through, we will regret it. People need to remember that the federal government doesn’t make money, they are spending OUR money. Healthcare is important to be sure, but we have to get our finances in order first. This is just too expensive and governmant has a pretty poor track record when it comes to spending money wisely or creating effective program.

la1401 08/13/2009 5:09pm
+ 18
in reply to suburb72022 Aug 13, 2009 4:13pm

I have taken the time to read some of the comments and I’m truly amazed at them. I live in Louisiana and no one here is denied treatment. Now they might not be able to go to a specialist when they want to or see a doctor at a private office, but HEALTH CARE IS NOT DENIED. We have Charity Hospitals and if you go into the ER, anywhere, they have to treat you. The problem in America today are people that can’t provide for themselves, but want the exact same things as people that can provide for themselves. I make what I make, I pay for what I can afford and I don’t give a hoot what the Jones’ have or can afford. Maybe the government should place mandatory INDEPENDENCE classes in a bill. It will teach people how to provide for themselves and stop leeching off the government. Instead, they want to inform elderly people the various and sundry ways they can go about ending their life without costing anyone else money. WAKE UP AN PROVIDE FOR YOURSELF!!

bluelagoon2 10/06/2009 7:26pm
+ 12

Let me get this straight.

We’re going to pass a health care plan written by a committee whose head says he doesn’t understand it, passed by a Congress that hasn’t read it but exempts themselves from it, signed by a president that also hasn’t read it, and who smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn’t pay his taxes, overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that’s nearly broke.

What possibly could go wrong?

glr 07/14/2009 1:23pm
+ 10
in reply to clejeune Jul 14, 2009 12:28pm

not from what I have seen most people think this spending is out of control. I am not sayint there shouldn’t be some kind of reform but passing a bill that they mostly likely won’t read in such a hurry doesn’t solve but creates more problems that will be impossible to undo. I don’t think the government can run any program look at SS and medicare!

mqpoppell 08/14/2009 1:58pm
+ 10
in reply to lux113 Aug 11, 2009 9:15pm

President Bush did alot that hurt the U.S. constitution, but that does not mean that President Obama is doing any better. This bill proposes so many new programs that run in opposition to the principles of the constitution that I can not support it. I hope everyone has good health care, but no one can provide it to everyone. The cost is too high and I do not mean money. Freedoms will be lost and that always leads to tyranny. I do not mean that President Obama wants tyranny, but over time evil mean will use these bad laws to bind us. It has happened in many once great nations.

gstecker 07/22/2009 2:28pm

This is insane! ANY public health care bill passed by this Congress should make it manditory that all congressional members enroll. If it is good enough for WE THE PEOPLE, then it is certainly good enough for the public servants.

Brutarius 07/15/2009 12:39pm
in reply to daringone Jul 15, 2009 3:00am

clejeune,

You are COMPLETELY MISSING THE POINT.

You write, “If you don’t, then don’t take the public option, just keep your existing plan (which get cheaper thanks to competition.”

Sure, I can keep my existing plan — but under this bill I HAVE TO PAY FOR THE PUBLIC OPTION ON TOP OF THAT!!!

Oh, and that “competition” thing? Private insurers will never be able to compete with a public plan where no one cares if it loses money. Obama has said from the get-go that he wants a SINGLE-PAYER plan — and THERE IS NO COMPETITION with a single-payer plan.

Barack Obama, 2003, in a speech to the AFL-CIO:

“I happen to be a proponent of a single-payer universal health care program…and that’s what I’d like to see. But as all of you know, we may not get there immediately. Because first we have to take back the White House, we have to take back the Senate, and we have to take back the House.”

Diana361 10/18/2009 6:30am
in reply to rj32 Sep 21, 2009 4:50pm

As a nurse I can say there is nothing wrong with our “health care” our doctors do a great job. The problem is insurance reform! We need to make insurance companies responsible for their policies and not have these loops they can slip through to drop someone who has been paying for decades because they get sick or need an expensive surgery!

I don’t understand why the goverment is trying to fix something that is not broken.

Most doctors offer a lower cost for uninsured individuals as my husband and I were for many years…you just have to talk to the doctors and find out if they do or do not work with patients and payment plans.

mattpileggi 07/22/2009 12:42pm

I cannot stand the chicken-little “the sky is falling” bull crap routine from this president any longer. While it is clear as day that we are in need of healthcare reform, it is not OUR deadline to have it passed by August!!! I don’t want to add administration and bureaucracy on top of an already failing system just for the sake of change! This whole “pass it now cause we can’t wait another 40 years” mantra is RIDICULOUS!! Pass IT RIGHT!! Not pass it right now! I am glad health care has the attention of the masses but delay is ALWAYS preferable to error – especially in something as large, complicated, and necessary as health care reform. Stop pandering to the party lines and start putting America first for once!

oderintdummetuant 09/13/2009 3:52pm
in reply to earthtravel Sep 13, 2009 3:01pm

Roads, schools, fire department, county park, city water, county park employee, county nursing home and police all STATE not FEDERAL. You really have the most primitive concept of what socialism, fascism, communism and capitalism each are. State funded programs are far different from federal. Don’t be simpleminded and think that one thing translates to the other…., or do whatever.

Talk about oblivious.

hch 07/19/2009 8:09am

I moved to this country and became a citizen 41 years ago to escape the repression of socialism. It is hard to explain to someone that has not lived the experience, but socialism kills the soul. The constant reliance on the government to provide for you destroys motivation. Just look around the world at the ruins of failed socialist program they are everywhere. Just show me one successful socialist country. What is happening to America have we gone mad. We must STOP THE RUSH TO SOCIALISM

scopemonkey 08/21/2009 11:29pm
in reply to jimprjayp Aug 18, 2009 1:08am

If you want to know the value of any patient, look no farther than their insurance benefit package. Its called lifetime maximum benefit. Mine is $2 M according to Blue Shield. My friend’s is only $500K. Who determined that? All systems have “beancounters” for your health and I sure am tired of some for-profit corporate bureaucrat standing between me and my patients. They maximize profit by denying care and answer to their shareholders and not the “insured.” This forum is a testament to the public option—government answers to us. When’s the last time a private insurance company held a Town Hall meeting? Try expressing your opinion at a board meeting of Aetna/BlueCross/Foundation Health/etc and see how far you get.

Here’s relief for your psyche: “end of life” means when your life ends, as in death. It isn’t vague at all.

dbritt28 07/15/2009 5:04am

I have not read all 1,000 plus pages, but cannot support this bill as drafted. There are two items that stand out for me. The first is the definition of ‘employee’ which includes contract labor and the second is the small business credit phase-out amount with average salaries of $20,000. These two items may put an extreme burden on small start up companies and give an incentive to only hire part-time low wage employees. This seems to be a negative impact on economics as a whole (employer and employee).

rjwh1ster 07/16/2009 12:27pm

Vote NO.

1. This bill does not change the fee for service payment method which has led to health care cost inflation.

2. The revenues to pay for a “social” program should be broad based and incentivize better health habits (tax on fast food; sugary drinks; or voluntary health procedures such as plastic surgery).

3. Increasing the number of health consumers will lead to either more price inflation or more wait times for services.

4. This bill mandates minimum coverage and restricts choice. This will just increase costs across the board.

ProudVirginian 09/05/2009 1:48pm
in reply to scopemonkey Aug 21, 2009 11:29pm

Being free to buy in to a plan is voting with your dollars. We don’t need Aetna to have a town hall meeting because Aetna, unlike the gov’t, is not and can not impose laws that create fines for those who do not subscribe to their service. If Aetna is such a poor company, and I’m not just talking about Aetna, I’m just using A. as an example, then businesses, schools, individuals etc. would not choose them as a provider. The freer the market the more democratic the society. Socialism is restrictive and anti-democratic, and this bill has the potential for abuse that will can lead to tyranny and socialism.

Freedom4America 07/17/2009 3:56am
in reply to deannalee1369 Jul 16, 2009 10:46am

Universal Health Care implies that everyone can be covered. However, stop and think, government generates revenue by taking from others. If government offers health care to all, it must take more from others to pay for it.
So, the individual that worked 70 hours a week for 20 years and now makes more than 250K annually will be taxed more to cover this bill. Please explain the “fairness” of increasing the taxes on this individual who sacrificed 20 years to reach a goal and now is penalized for it.
Health care is not a right, a right is that which does not take from one to give to another, a right is what the government is to protect, a right is that which is automatically conveyed.
Universal health care will take from select individuals in order to give to others.
If America sets this precedent, Health Care is a right, where will it stop. Here are some examples, it is a right to own a home, it is a right to have a job, it is a right to have a child.

medbob 07/15/2009 11:29am

This is not only wrong, it’s immoral. These idiots are not listening! Is there anything that we the people can do to stop this madness?
How can I get involved beyond being ignored by my Representatives?

FireOpal 07/23/2009 11:03am
in reply to Brutarius Jul 15, 2009 12:39pm

You’ve hit the definition of Capitalism. Without competition, there is nothing that will keep the prices under control. The problem with this bill is that the proposers seem to think we live in a society where people don’t cheat, we have endless stores of money, and we all want to be taken care of. I fought very hard to be considered an adult and make my own choices. I think it’s appalling that the national government, people who we elected, don’t seem to think we can decide what’s best for us.
The bill is idyllic in a perfect world, but it can never work. We can’t afford more government spending and the officials we elected to represent us seem to have forgotten where the money for these bills are coming from.

abaratar 08/19/2009 11:48pm
in reply to uba Aug 19, 2009 3:10pm

It is already free to do a living will why would the government want to pay for something that is already free?

abaratar 07/17/2009 3:06pm
in reply to bgrossen Jul 17, 2009 1:50pm

Hospitals use to be nonprofit that is why all the old ones are named after churches of charities, they had to become for profit institutions after the government, lawyers and insurance companies got involved.

If we could get the government out of medicine, churches and charities could run hospitals again.

abaratar 08/16/2009 7:55am
in reply to lxtkn1989 Aug 14, 2009 8:32pm

I just did an exercise all should do, I went to http://www.ehealthinsurance.com and put in my zip code 80202 then a zip code from Massachusetts 02019 since they are one a few state that meet the requirements for the government health insurance plans. My cheapest bar bones policy for Denver (for a smoker) was $64 a month, for Massachusetts the cheapest was $218 a month and that was with a $2000 deductible so that plan won’t meet the qualifications for this bill. the plan that comes closest to meeting the requirements for this bill(o deductible) is $354 a month

I suggest everyone go to http://www.ehealthinsurance.com enter your zip code and get a quote then get a quote as if you lived in Massachusetts 02019, that should give you an idea if insurance rates will have to go up in your state if this bill passes. Would be cool if people posted the difference from their current state vs Massachusetts.

willison8 09/03/2009 5:30pm
in reply to scopemonkey Aug 21, 2009 11:29pm

Try suing the government and see how far you get. At least I can sue if I think I’m being mistreated by my insurer. Of course H.R. 3200 allows for grievances but who is the arbiter? The same bureaucracy that caused you the grievance in the first place. Government may be accountable to us collectively but certainly not individually. I can not trust the public-option not only because it can not offer a suitable redress of offense but also because it must limit my options for alternative insurance.

daringone 07/15/2009 2:57am

All this “rushing” with this administration… how about taking some time to consider what is being done with something so big as:

1 – An $800 billion stimulus bill

2 – Cap and Trade

3 – Government run health care

In all seriousness, because the government is sooooo efficient at running other public welfare programs (see Social Security and Medicare) why would we ever want them stepping in to run health care for everyone. As I’ve posted elsewhere here, this can only end in a poor outcome. Either it’s terrible and nobody uses it, thus pissing away the $1.2 TRILLION of OUR MONEY that the president wants to start it, or it is a success in undercutting private healthcare putting thousands more (upon the millions already) out of a job.

Vote no on this bill, or any bill proposing government health care!

Sarazona1313 08/11/2009 1:12pm
in reply to oderintdummetuant Aug 06, 2009 5:53pm

The return on your investment is HEALTH CARE, duh. Moreover, it is health care for all. You are not the only person living in this country and if you are only looking at your best interests than I feel sorry for you. No one should be satisfied with their health care while so many Americans are left out in the cold with no access to doctors and medicine.

Work in the insurance industry with no insurance for a while like I did. Watch people get denied coverage and assistance for really no better reason than to keep from spending the money. Watch a $20,000.00 surgery get turned into a $110,000.00 surgery in the interest of making money for these private corporations you are so keen to continue to support. Maybe then you will see why our tax dollars should be used to support every citizen who is contributing to this nation.

ajwz24 08/10/2009 11:30am
in reply to mattpileggi Jul 31, 2009 8:06am

the insurance companies are the biggest abusers of the the healthcare system, as it is today, and believe it or not insurance companies are responsible for increasing the “cost of the care”. How many times in the last (just grabbing a number)5 yrs has your employer changed your coverage or raised your coverage rates? In other words, have many times have they changed providers or raised your premium or raised your deductable? I guarantee you it hasn’t gone down, either. More people paying in will lower the cost for everyone! And the penalties are for people and families and businesses that don’t buy into some kind of coverage. If you are in any plan, no penalty will be assessed.

nwaprogrammer 08/21/2009 5:20am
in reply to Sarazona1313 Aug 11, 2009 1:12pm

The evil in this country is an entitlement/victim mentality. This country prospered until the New Deal and free stuff was given to people. Slow decline ever since.

StreetBeaver 08/26/2009 5:47pm
in reply to uba Aug 20, 2009 6:27am

Sweet for a savings of only $250 dollars i can throw away all personal freedom and responsibility and Go feed at the teat of my neighbors…… and they said social fascism would never fly in “america”. I am so glad i stumbled acroos your comments whilst cleaning my guns and reading my Bible(GWBush edition). While I 100percent agree that the healthcare system needs fixed i think we can do better if we just let real competition work and perhaps look at tort reform. Too bad our “glorious leader” has been a lawyer too long to piss away his lobbyist support. If the bill is so good why are the government workers exempt from it?

ArmyMason 08/26/2009 8:33pm
in reply to scottowego Aug 19, 2009 6:22am

It’s not that they are going to kill you off, it’s that they have no means to really support such a health care program. With so many people requesting treatment their wouldn’t be enough to go around. Remember a few years ago when the flu vaccine was bad and everyone wanted the vaccine but their wasn’t enough to go around. What happened? They rationed the stuff and only the most needy got the shot. Same will happen under a one government plan like Obama has provided us. Don’t even think this bill competes with private insurance, all it will do is drive up premiums until they cant afford to stay in business anymore and all we will be left with is rationed health care. Want a prime example of Government run health programs, look at the VA. Poor conditions in the hospitals, rationing of medication (no bull they make me cut my pills in half in order to save a buck), lower quality care and long wait times.

bgrossen 07/18/2009 8:07pm
in reply to glr Jul 14, 2009 12:03pm

Read the www.pnhp.org website, Physicians for National Health Plan.
The physicians of American support HR 676, a single payer plan, would save $350 billion a year. The for profit insurance companies (insure the healthy, deny the sick) are emphatically opposed to HR 676 and buying out our legislators. So no cost report has come from the CBO. This HR 676 would make our health care cheaper, but cutting out the profits of private insurance companies, and keeping choice in our health care. I can choose my doctor. That’s the choice I want. And she can give me what I need.

daringone 07/15/2009 3:00am
in reply to clejeune Jul 14, 2009 1:17pm

…which will get cheaper thanks to competition…

Or go away completely because it can’t compete, which some would say is the whole goal of this bill anyway.