H.R.3404 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.

JohnB 08/29/2009 8:43pm

All I can say is “BYE”

Serendipity 08/30/2009 10:20am

Perhaps you should say BYE. What gives YOU the authority to admonish a long-time POSITIVE contributor to this site?

JohnB 08/29/2009 7:24pm

The post is way off topic and does not belong here. It appears to be a set up to get a reaction from people like you, when people like me try and keep the board on topic.

Marcy 08/29/2009 6:38pm

Thank you.

You say what I keep thinking and just had no graceful way of putting it.

Marcy 08/30/2009 1:07pm

That "thank you " was aimed at Nancym, mind you.

JohnB 08/29/2009 7:58pm

FROM THE MODERATOR:

Avelino_Maestas Aug 28, 2009 2:10pm Link Reply
    Overall Rating: 5.0  |  Login to Rate | 2 of 2 found useful.

OK all — time for the personal attacks and off-topic comments to stop. I’m gonna start banning IP address real quick.
  • Spam Comment

• HopefromCA 08/29/2009 8:34pm

John B.
    I really believe that everyone plans to wait until the value of the dollar drastically goes down and then they will pay back the money owed for paying unemployment insurance, etc with the cheaper dollars. This has been done repeatedly for generations however I believe they will have a hard time increasing prices of assets while competing with the other countries. So with this theory I have we are going to have less consumers buying and more consumers filing bankruptcy with an ever declining economy.

JohnB 08/29/2009 8:45pm

HopefromCA, I’ve been wondering how Calif will pay back the Feds the money they are getting for Unemployment. If they raise the unemployment tax on businesses now, they’ll drive them under or out of the state. They really need to relax business regulations in this state.

HopefromCA 08/29/2009 9:00pm

JohnB
    I really think they will just keep a tab on how much they owe the fed and just wait years when the dollars are not worth anything and then pay it back. They will not shoot themselves in the foot by raising the unemployment tax on businesses in California for a long time. They need them to make money so they can get their share of the profits, sales taxes, employee state taxes, etc.

HopefromCA 08/29/2009 9:04pm
    If anything they will lower the amount of unemployment insurance from a maximum of $450.00 to say $350.00 per week. ( Just an estimate. My opinion only)
    JohnB 08/29/2009 9:23pm

That has been talked about. I know Arnold wanted to cut the benefits, and they just might do that. Take it out of those most in need. I hope it doesn’t happen

HopefromCA 08/29/2009 9:38pm

JohnB,
    I hope it doesn’t happen either but if rents keep going down as I predict they will they might use that to justify reducing the benefits by saying that the cost of housing is going down.

JohnB 08/29/2009 9:50pm

A friend, here in Calif told me she has to get rid of her two cats. The apartment they are renting now wants $35 a month for each cat a person has. It’s just another way to rip off renters.

HopefromCA 08/29/2009 9:56pm

JohnB.
    Is it possible that the owner of the apartment is hurting and instead of having a possibility of the apartment being empty while looking for someone else to rent it to after raising the rent and the current renters moving out. There are owners of major malls filing bankruptcy so I wouldn’t be surprised if they are just trying to survive by as you say finding other ways to increase the rent.

• HopefromCA 08/29/2009 8:45pm

Serendipity,
    I don’t know how old you are but to support doing away with the 2/3’s vote and Proposition 13 you must have not have owned a house in the 70’s. Many middle class hard working people were losing their houses because the property taxes got way out of control. Sorry to see you are against supporting the middle class people.

JohnB 08/29/2009 9:07pm

I remember a comment from a book I read about management at Enron, “They were smart enought to know how to get around the rules, but they were not smart enought to know why the rules were in place”

Serendipity 08/30/2009 10:28am

It’s not about not supporting the middle class. I certainly fall in that category. I don’t know that it’s fair that one person on the block pays next to nothing in property taxes and another pays out the nose.
    There should be a more equitable distribution.

HopefromCA 08/30/2009 11:50am

Serendipity,
    It is about supporting the middle class. If we didn’t have control on property taxes we would be paying a lot more benefits for the state’s employees that are much higher than the public employees. Many people that are against Proposition 13 are working for the State of California and they want wonderful retirement benefits even if the public sector is only doing half as well on pensions and benefits. The State of California has a lot of employees making over $100,000.00 a year with overtime. Talk about what should be on a more equitable distribution.

Serendipity 08/30/2009 1:12pm

Hope,

I agree we need to keep property taxes in check. But in my mind, it’s not equitable to have some folks paying $500.00 a year and the next door neighbor paying $5K. Prop 13 may have served a purpose 30 years ago, but currently it places an unfair burden on many homeowners while others pay a nominal amount. I’m not a state employee. I just think the law is outdated and unfair.

HopefromCA 08/30/2009 6:06pm

Serendipity,
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the price of houses rolled back to the late 90’s house prices. If that came about I expect the property taxes to be reduced on those houses that were bought in 2002 and later. I agree that proposition 13 could have been fairer on people buying houses later but at the time it was the only thing that passed. My point is that if we had a more fair law passed and more tax funds were given to the State of California would they have done the right thing or would they be in the same situation as now? I would say they would be in the same situation as they are now except bigger paychecks and pensions for the employees of the State of California!

JohnB 08/30/2009 1:48pm

HopefromCA, Calif is only one of four states with a full time legislature. They’ve lost contact with the people of the state, until there’s a complete change in the legislature, I only see thigs getting worse for Calif. We haven’t hit bottom yet. Unemployment will get alot worse.

HopefromCA 08/30/2009 6:16pm

JohnB
    I have been told over and over again that until the price of housing stops going down that the unemployment situation will not improve. If only everyone had let the price of houses drop faster we could be in a recovery mode faster but certain agencies didn’t want that to happen so now we are going to be dragged out longer to 2012 before housing bottoms out. As long as California’s see the price of houses going down they are going to keep their wallets locked up and only spending the change for basic stuff.

• HopefromCA 08/29/2009 9:11pm

nancym,
    I have always enjoyed reading your posts. Sorry to see you are taking a break. I look forward to your return and hope everything goes well.

• HopefromCA 08/29/2009 9:19pm

Serendipity says:
    There are many ways to bring in additional revenue to California without further destruction to our environment and wildlife. Offshore drilling is not the answer.

Serendipity,
    Since you bought this up you need to realize that if United States does not start depending on their own natural resources to survive your country maybe taken over by another country. Is that what you want? China is depending on their own natural resources and they are thinking of restricting exports of their natural resources. If you need prove I can provide websites for you.

HopefromCA 08/29/2009 9:23pm
    I met proof instead of prove that I can provide websites for you.
    Serendipity 08/30/2009 10:07am

Thanks Hope for the offer. No need. I’m very well-read on Prop 13 and the 2/3 majority. I stated we need to take a hard look at Prop 13, not necessarily overturn it. I’m convinced the 2/3 majority MUST re repealed.
    No changing my mind on that front.

Serendipity 08/30/2009 10:47am

Hope,

We need to be shepards of the environment. Reducing our dependence on oil, no matter where it comes from is paramount. We have become a country of short-sighted citizens fixed on immediate gratification.
    Humans are the number one destroyer of the environment. How arrogant to think WE have the right to continue to pollute the environment and kill off wildlife that was here long before before humans.
    In the process we are killing off human beings as well. I tend to think the planet will be better off without us unless we collectively WAKE UP and embrace the bigger picture.

HopefromCA 08/30/2009 11:03am

Serendipity,
    I agree we need to reduce our dependence on oil but not by buying oil from other countries and putting United States in a third world country.

• HopefromCA 08/29/2009 10:26pm

To All,
    One thing I have noticed lately is how empty the stores are lately. I would start estimating in my mind how long each store would last based on the amount of traffic they were getting. I am estimating alot of stores will close in mid-January after the holidays. Everyone needs to be prepared for slow times coming.