H.R.3404 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.

JohnB 08/29/2009 10:57pm

Around the corner from me, there’s a strip mall of auto repair shops. 2 years ago the parking lot was always full, they had to park cars across the street, they were so busy. Now, most of a repair bays are empty, they had to lay off alot of people.
    Next weekend I’m going to a Labor Day Street Fair, will be interesting to see how many people show up. Every year it’s pack, we’ll see next weekend.

Serendipity 08/30/2009 10:10am

Not so much in my area. The stores have been pretty busy all summer. Seems like many out of work folks have been shopping.

HopefromCA 08/30/2009 11:11am

Serendipity,
    You might see people in the stores but are they coming out with purchases? I find that this summer a lot of people just browsing and keeping cool in the stores with air conditioning and if they find a bargain its usually just a small purchase. Its the stores like the Dollar Tree, Kohls, 99 cent store, etc that are doing well in this environment because the customers are cutting back on their purchases.

JohnB 08/30/2009 11:40am

I always check out the bargin bin at the grocery store. I cannot believe how many people pass up the discounts. Afew weeks ago I picked up some vitimans, normally sell for $8 a bottle, selling for $2. It was a discontinued store brand, but well within the expression dates.
    There are alot of ways for the unemployed to make their money last longer.

HopefromCA 08/30/2009 8:00pm

JohnB.
    My doctor tested me for vitamin D to protect against the swine flu and found out I was on the low side. He put me on 1,000 IU vitamin D per day. Good thing I had this test done before my medical insurance expires.

HopefromCA 08/30/2009 8:02pm

My cobra is expiring because the company we have the cobra with is bankrupt and canceled the contract with Blue Cross so I am trying to increase my immune system before the swine flu season hits us.

Serendipity 08/30/2009 11:50am

Maybe some browsing, but I’ve definitely seen most people walking out with purchases. Of course Marshalls is ALWAYS packed. But stores like Target, Costco, KMart, Sears and Macys are much, much busier than last summer. Same goes for the malls.

• BrokeInOhio 08/30/2009 2:44am

Ohioians, I was once again able to file via the computer.. This is my 2nd week of a zero balance with money…Still the same EB form…. WHat I find odd is that they still want to keep track of who and where you are applying for jobs even though you are not receiving any money. What businesses is it of theirs where or if I apply as long as they aren’t paying me?

jelee 08/30/2009 3:37am

Hi, Brokeinohio
    Well just claimed my last week of EB today, and will probably do the same as
    you starting next week keep claiming with zero amount, I don’t think it will matter much whether if you keep claiming or not, as if this extension goes through they won’t do reach backs, but to continue claiming anyway can’t hurt
    if its only for ODJFS to keep statistics of those still unemployed,
    and remember how quick ohio sent the EB through once enacted? what was it?
    about two weeks time?

• RobinSamRyan 08/30/2009 5:07am

In reading the last pages of posts I find it interesting that a lot of people talk off topic and then point fingers when someone shares a heartwrenching story of what unemployment has caused them to do so their pet does not starve to death since they cannot feed the pet any longer. Yet talk continues about things that have nothing to do with HR3404. California’s broke unemployment fund is off topic from this bill. Also a post by JohnB on a car repair place not being busy. I think we all need more tolerance since we are all struggling. The person who posted their story about their dog, I am sure was just looking for people to talk to who understand what it is like. We here on this board understand the sacrifices we have made because our legislators drag their feet. I found the post awful but had to step back and realize the reason for the post was lack of employment and unemployment funds to help. So really it was on topic in a way. Just like your Cali. posts on the fund. IMO!

• RobinSamRyan 08/30/2009 5:08am

Thank you everyone for your congrats. I hope my new job goes well and I hope all of you get jobs soon too. I am nervous today about starting tomorrow but this too shall pass.

• Moderated Comment

• Moderated Comment

• BrokeInOhio 08/30/2009 6:02am

The person who MURDERED their dog is not a heartwarming story, at least not where I come from. I agree with Ohionoeb, you coulg of taken her to the ound or a animal shelter, and if she was old, they would of put her to sleep with a shot. My god, how in the world can you hit a anilmal on the head the slit their throat. You are one sick person.

JohnB 08/30/2009 6:20am

BrokeInOhio: the person made the story up just to inflame others on here. I would ignore their post.

Serendipity 08/30/2009 10:15am

JohnB,

How do you know if was meant to be an inflammatory post? Like Flarlene said, YOU are not the Moderator of this site.
    Your recent post are nothing less than INFLAMMATORY.

• Moderated Comment

ohionoeb 08/30/2009 7:40am

This is about 7110 be without unemployment and not being able to feed Sara ..so I am going to responed to this post:

7110
    Re: what would you do?

I would have share(50%) my breakfast ,lunch, dinner or whatever I ate that day with Sara (Family member)..

RE:You can not by dog food when you can not buy school supplies.

But you have $$ for the internet …you have your priorities backwards ..

JohnB 08/30/2009 7:51am

ohionoeb, like I said the person made up the story, just just ignore them. Do a search on this site and find where this person has posted before or had any conversation with anyone else. I can’t find any. Their profile says they’ve been a member for 11 months, but I can’t find any of their post. 7110 is actually a number for a previouse bill that failed passage.

• Spam Comment

RobinSamRyan 08/31/2009 12:40pm

I never said heartwarming, I said heart WRENCHING! Geez!

• JohnB 08/30/2009 6:22am

Just sent in my last claim form today. I hope this bill passes as soon as they get back in session.

• HopefromCA 08/30/2009 8:13am

JohnB,
    Are you going to continue to record your job searches after your EB ends?
    I am concerned that they might change the requirement to include job searches on EUC to include recording job searches.

JohnB 08/30/2009 8:33am

HopefromCA, if we’re back under EUC, we won’t have to. I’m sure EDD will let us know. It wouldn’t hurt to do it anyway.

• AngelXOXO 08/30/2009 8:20am

Just PASS this bill ASAP, without all the red tape and debates. MANY loose all benifits this month. Just DO it.

• gollum 08/30/2009 8:21am

to: 7110 poster, I tend to agree with a few of the posters here, your dog story is exaggerated, but in the case is did happen, You seriously need some mental help, not to mention to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
    and if it was to get attention,in making up such a story and posting it on a public board, I hope they trace your ip address and give it to the proper authoritys so they can trace you down, and get that mental help you so desperatly need. you are one sick individual, to want to share this hideous act you might have committed with anybody, no matter what excuse you give as to why?

• ohionoeb 08/30/2009 8:24am

Congress comes back Sep. 8 .. They stated they will address extending unemployment benefits in early September.

• HopefromCA 08/30/2009 8:28am

RobinSamRyan,
    Unemployment funds is related to this bill. If all the states had a surplus of unemployment funds this bill would not exist.
    Talking about how busy business is around you is also related to this bill. If business was good then this bill would be canceled because unemployment rate would be going down.
    The reason I talk about this is because we need to figure out how long this is going to go on and prepare for it. Millions of people only have one weeks savings as I posted earlier with a link so as more people get laid off its going to effect everyone indirectly.

JohnB 08/30/2009 8:36am

I sent in my last claim form today, should be fine until next month. This bill should pass by then.

• HopefromCA 08/30/2009 8:45am

To all,
    Just to let all know that September is always a bad month for the stock market so don’t be surprised if it crashes or goes down a lot and businesses stop hiring till it goes up in October.