H.R.3404 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.

Displaying 1981-2010 of 3062 total comments.

• marine 09/04/2009 8:24am

Video for the state of Washington. Recent local news.
    Jim

• VLeichsenring 09/04/2009 8:33am

At least h.r. 3404 is now considered a HOT bill!

• ohionoeb 09/04/2009 8:36am

This helps put things in perspective………http://www.usdebtclock.org/

VLeichsenring 09/04/2009 10:24am

ohionoeb, Thanks for that Us Debt Clock! I don’t know if I should be motivated even more to find a job so I can help pay off this debt, or should I suck on the barrel of a gun? Just joking but it is a reality check!

• ohionoeb 09/04/2009 8:57am

Good thing the stimulus plan is working who knows how high unemployment would be without it. Let’s just make another stimulus plan because the only way to get out of this is to spend our way into more debt. Government steps in and says we don’t pass this stimulus plan unemployment will be at 8%. We pass it and what happens.. unemployment at 9.7% and raising!!!!!

• JohnB 09/04/2009 10:47am

Going to the Orange County Street Fair tomorrow. They block off the streets around the circle and have food from different countries and music. Most years it’s wall to wall people. With the economy the way it is, will be interesting to see how the turn is. I’ll go to German Street and have a German Sasuage, large coke and watch them do the “Chicken Dance” :)

Jans1116 09/04/2009 6:14pm

It sounds like a perfect time. I bet many are also walking around but I bet they are not spending much money.

• johnj2010 09/04/2009 11:15am

Does a republican reject have a bill for us on extensions-NO!!
    It’S ALWAYS the democrats!!

Republicans were ready for the bad unemployment numbers, sending out critical statements within moments of the announcement claiming the administration’s policies are killing jobs and making the economy worse

abaratar 09/07/2009 10:09pm

Guess who said this?

Unemployed workers ‘’need our assistance in these difficult times, and we cannot let them down,’’

‘’I have shared these concerns with the leaders of the House and the Senate, and they understand the need for early action,’’ he said. ‘’When our legislators return to the Capitol, I ask them to make the extension of unemployment benefits a first order of business. And the benefits they approve should be retroactive, so that people who lose their benefits this month will be paid in full.’’

Obama did not say that a republican did!!!!! http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/15/us/bush-calls-for-an-extension-of-unemployment-benefits.html

Why won’t Obama do something like that? Please defend him! If 6.5%was high enough for “Hitler” to call for extending unemployment benefits for everyone one why is 9.7% not high enough for Obama?

• me2unemployed 09/04/2009 11:19am

Does a republican reject have a bill for us on extensions-NO!!

Good Point

This bill needs to pass for ALL states so I don’t have the corrupt republican governor deny us benefits anymore.

abaratar 09/06/2009 2:05pm

Do you know how a bill becomes a law?
    A member of the HOuse proposes bill, The leader of the house (Pelosi) calls for a vote if it receives a majority vote the leader of the senate(Reid) calls for a vote if a majority votes in favor of the bill in the senate it goes to the president(Obama) if the president signs it or does not veto it for a period of time it becomes a law.

Please explain what republicans have to do with this process. There is no reason for republicans to even be in Washington, they can not call for or prevent a vote, there are not enough of them to vote down any bill.
    So john why don’t we have an extension of unemployment benefits?

• Patriots 09/04/2009 11:24am

If anyone in our government does not realize how big this problem is they should not even be there.

Meltdown 101: Unemployment by the numbers

New unemployment data show why it will take years for the labor market to recover from one of its fastest and deepest declines since World War II, even if an economic recovery is around the corner.

The Department of Labor report released Friday showed job cuts in August were lower than they’ve been in recent months. But a deeper look at the data shows why it will take millions of new jobs to dig American workers out of this recession’s deep pit.

Unemployment for teenagers stands at nearly 26 percent. More than 758,000 workers are so discouraged they quit looking for jobs altogether, by far the biggest such number since the Department of Labor started tracking it in 1994. Damage continues to mount in the manufacturing, financial and construction sectors.

In all, some 14.9 million people are out of work and looking for a job.

Patriots 09/04/2009 11:26am

• johnj2010 09/04/2009 11:24am

Patriots

Can you imagine if CT got our unemployment numbers revised we would get the 7 weeks of EB.

By the way, I know we need a miracle, but what is the rate that we need for August? atleast 8.2 & maybe they would round it off?

• johnj2010 09/04/2009 11:26am

We already knew but….

CNBC , FOX & CNN all metioned the unemployment doesn’t count people who are off the books so the number is much higher than 9.7%

Patriots 09/04/2009 11:32am

I haven’t even bothered to figure out what we would need to get it after they “corrected” our unemployment rate for those months. It is BS, but even some people in a position of power can do nothing about it right now.

johnj2010 09/04/2009 11:40am

Patriots

I know we aren’t going to get the eb-Governor Rell is tryng to help out Pratt & Whitney with that money.

hopefully, Congress will help us out? Maybe we can get 10 weeks? We need it

Patriots 09/04/2009 11:45am

Well……whatever will be will be I suppose.

I’m not looking forward to this winter here, that is for sure.

The Farmers Almanac says “cold and snowy” for us.

• Patriots 09/04/2009 12:02pm

The job search…..

I got a call from a friend that is a boss at General Dynamics, where I once worked. He said they are hiring about 40 people sometime this month. He will put a good word in for me. The last time they hired 40 people they got over 4000 applications. I have my fingers crossed.

I also talked to an old boss of mine that I keep in touch with. He said he would love to have me back, but he only has enough work to keep the guys he has now working for another month or two.

It’s the first time in my fifty something years that I have seen anything like this.

• woznyclan 09/04/2009 12:45pm
    I think I heard earlier on CNN that Obama was spending his Labor Day weekend at the AFL-CIO picnic .

• Patriots 09/04/2009 12:47pm

How much freedom can one man stand?

Not much more, dear hearts, not much more

By Joe Bageant

Freedom comes in many forms in America, and new forms are constantly being created. The latest has been freedom from basic financial security. The weakened economy has given corporatists an excuse to, as they say, “let workers go.” Which sounds as if companies are granting employees some sort of freedom: “Go on George, twenty years on the job is long enough, so git outta here. Have yourself a ball!”

• Patriots 09/04/2009 12:49pm

By that measure, there have never been a more free people. Now benevolently relieved of their job responsibilities, millions are free to do almost anything they choose, go fishing — or take up the banjo. At the moment 14 million Americans have been granted freedom, with another three or four million expected to be pardoned before the economy “levels out,” meaning more people will lose their jobs, but at a slower rate. Of those 14 million liberated souls, six million are so free they can even take the family on a year-long round the world trip, if they so choose. They need no longer report in at the (un)employment office because their benefits have expired. One little suggestion for their trip abroad: visit the guy in Asia who now has your job. With a little effort, I’m sure you can get over the barbed wire topped steel mesh fence enclosing the factory’s “attached employee housing compound” in Sichuan Province.

Patriots 09/04/2009 12:49pm

VLeichsenring 09/04/2009 1:03pm

Patriots that was a really great article!

Patriots 09/04/2009 1:07pm

Thank you. Maybe we are not all that different after all.

VLeichsenring 09/04/2009 1:10pm

We have our moments but we are both Americans who are unemployed.

• Patriots 09/04/2009 1:10pm

I love that article. Here is another part.

But luckiest of all are those American workers who get to have their cake and eat it too. According to the U. S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, an additional three million adults over age 25 have both jobs and unprecedented leisure time. These are the working Americans living on “unintentional part time employment.” This term carries overtones of some sort of accidental consequence of something the worker did. As in: "Oops, silly me! I didn’t realize that I cannot support a family on 17 hours work and $120 a week. So now I must spend all my newfound leisure time seeking more “unintentional underemployment.” One must admire government speak for its subtlety. Intentional or not, these working folks are experiencing unprecedented new leisure time opportunities as Americans. Whoopee! Sleep in four mornings a week!

VLeichsenring 09/04/2009 1:15pm

I already read the whole article and am going to buy the book.

VLeichsenring 09/04/2009 1:22pm

I meant to say the book “Deer Hunting with Jesus”.

Patriots 09/04/2009 2:07pm

Maybe I will too. It looks interesting.