H.R.3404 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.

• CTunemployed 09/19/2009 2:54pm

To all Connecticut people here.

As you may know they lowered our unemployment numbers for three month after some people questioned them. Our 8.1% this month does not quite get us the last 7 weeks. It would have if they did not doctor our numbers, and this bill will not help us.

Our food banks are almost empty now.

Foxwoods is in big trouble.

And our veterans are in trouble.

Please get on your phones and computers NOW. Contact our senators and representatives from both Washington and our state. Call and email the governor. Do whatever you can. We need all the help we can get now. Winter is almost here.

shellcia 09/23/2009 5:16am

Don’t try to email Courtney or Murphy, if you don’t live in their district they don’t accept your message…and to think they voted no last night~~

• Kickthebumsout 09/22/2009 8:56am

I will just paitentaly wait here till you all come back..as HR3548 is a stop gap till the end of the year.

• Mnwolf 09/23/2009 5:01am

With this bill on the table why in the heck did they push 3548 thru so fast, would it not have made more sense to push this one that in cludes all states, things like this just fry my mind..!

• Kickthebumsout 09/23/2009 8:13am

mnwolf..did you read the senate bill s-16 sumthin sumthin? Theres a couple sentences that say change this from 8.5 percent to 6.5 % I wonder if thats the unemployment rate. Sorry I am not very clear but I read it yesterday and I am geezerly, lol. I don’t understand their thinking either..if your out of a job and out of benifits why does the states percentage matter? Then when you read in HR 3548 about the employer tax that collects 7.9 billion a year and HR 3548 cost 1.9 billion Why not give extensions to all since they would have the money to pay for it.

I think some of it has to do with the tea baggers bitchin about all the money they have already spent, stymulus and tarp..thing is them peeps don’t understand every person that can not afford to pay their bills or buy stuff cost other people their jobs also..including the tea baggers.

• abbondanza23 09/23/2009 11:28am

Baucus is 24/7 about healthcare; he has to say that about 3548 and ‘seeking changes’ to save face for his state voters, otherwise he would look as if he left them in the cold…the fact that this helps almost the majority of the states will get it passed, the only need a majority vote in the Senate to pass this on to Obama…it is not that the other states do not deserve help, but there is NO WAY that republicans will pass an extension that doubles the money…the 8.5% stipulation is why it passed through the House at all!

Kickthebumsout 09/28/2009 9:20am

Might be that $3.5 million the insurers have gave him why he is 24/7 on healthcare.

• rosebud 09/25/2009 6:11am

Hi I live in NJ, have been on unemployment since May 08. I worked briefly in Dec 08 and Jan. 09. I was told in May 09 to file a new claim. That claim will be up in a few weeks. If the 13 or 20 week extension is passed, would I qualify? If the extensions from last year are extended thru 2010, would I qualify for them? I read on a Calif unemployment extension website that anyone regardless of the state that qualifies to file a new claim would not qualify for extension. I’m not sure if I’m interpreting that right.

• GonzoFL 09/25/2009 6:38am

Rosebud:

Everyone that was on this forum is not using the forum for S1699. HR 3404 has been moved to the back burner for now. But to answer your question,yes you should qualify. NJ is at 9.4 3 month TUR average,so that puts you well above the needed 8.5%. As for the California thing…I have no clue. Since HR3458 has passed the house and moved over to the Senate…your focus now should be on S1699 with is the companion bill of the already House passed HR3458. Join us at S1699 for more information as it becomes available.

• GonzoFL 09/25/2009 6:39am

typo….not=NOW

• rosebud 09/25/2009 8:23am

thank you very much Gonzo. I’m over there now.

• THOMASDT1 09/26/2009 7:03am

Has the bill been amended to extend coverage to include those states with less than a 9% Unemployment rate? If a person is unemployed and can’t find work, why is his distress less than someone’s from a 9%+ state? If a person is hurting, they are hurting. Or is this some way to spread the agony around while the politicians enjoy their heath insurance and employment at our expense.

Kickthebumsout 09/28/2009 9:35am

I don’t believe there has been an admendment to reduce the % rate. There is no difference and it will come back to bite them. They do what specail interest pay them to do, thats why we are waiting for sumthin to get done with this. Every one of them including Dick Army at Freedom works who is lobbying agaisnt health care reform have never had health care that was not payed for by the tax payer. Thats why we need to use our vote to limit their terms to one. before they get to many parisites attached to them.

• sushiboo 09/29/2009 1:51pm

The last day to qualify for a first extension of benefits is 12-20-09 (at least in CA) and my benefits end 1-2-10. Will I qualify for an extension under the new bill? The woman at the EDD seemed to think so and that I would then also be able to get further extensions. Can anyone tell me if any of this is correct? I’m worried out of my mind.

• sushiboo 09/29/2009 4:25pm

GonzoFL — can you help me with this question?

janbunz 11/03/2009 5:09am

I am like you sushiboo and from California as well. My benefits run out 01/12/09 and then what? I have been told so many different things and have been unable to get through the phones at EDD regarding this qualifying date issue. Has anyone heard if we will have to wait and pray that 3404 comes up next? Please reply. My job search hasn’t been going well. Sent over 300 resumes and 2 replies stating they hired someone else. We are all in a state of panic.

• Jans1116 10/06/2009 2:07pm

Good site that appears interesting.

• hawaii25 10/14/2009 4:54pm

Who is going to help those that have lost there unemployment in Sept and soon to be end of Oct if the President dose not sign it before Thanksgiving When people who have ran out of unemployment and no money for Thanksgiving to by a meal.and who have no other means like my self Is the republicans beeing greedy. they have jobs they have money to buy food. They want the money for some thing else, Not carrying about people now. Who need it now. We need to push the republicans to pass it for all of americans for all states who need it now. Stop stalling with it

• mabco 10/24/2009 7:52pm

Does anyone have a clue where unemployment benefits come from? They come from the companies that could be your future employee. The more these unemployment benefits get extended, the less likely it is that you’re going to get a job. Companies can’t continue to foot the bill for the poor economic policies of our dreadful government.

kim2009 11/09/2009 1:36pm

They’ve been, as you say, “footing the bill” for unemployment for over 30 years – $14 per employee/year. If this is such a hardship that a company folds or cannot hire, perhaps they weren’t a viable business to begin with…

While you could argue that companies can’t foot the bill because of poor economic policies – (which I wouldn’t agree with – they prosper with choices like NAFTA – it’s the employees who are left unemployed due to “poor economic policies of our government”) – blaming the FUTA surtax is a bit extreme.

• Rlukas 10/27/2009 4:12pm

i hope this bill is still in play. The December deadline is going to hurt a lot of people if the dont extend those tiers to the end of 2010

• bmoore 10/31/2009 9:03am

Ohio yes please continue to certify weekly until this Bill is passed so that your career center will not suspend your pin.

• Rlukas 11/06/2009 4:11pm

Bump

We have to get this going

• RL77 11/08/2009 6:40pm

Does anyone know what the hold up is on this one? Do you think this one will be next now that HR 3548 has been passed and signed? If I’m reading correct this bill would push the December deadlines for all the extensions back to 2010, is this right? Given I’m on my 1st extension which ends January 9th I’m going to be up a creek without a paddle come January if those deadlines stay the same. I’m very nervous about what may come if they don’t do something soon!

• Sher1 11/09/2009 4:30am
    OC
  • jcny 11/09/2009 10:19am

Now that HR 3548 has passed, we need to start raising awareness about all of us who will run out of extenstions because of the Dec 2009 cut off dates. I am going to write to my congresspersons and senators to encourage support of this bill.

• Private 11/11/2009 4:24am

I am trying to wrap my mind around all that has happened since I last logged in a few months ago. My benefits are all exhausted and work is still this illusive dream I only experience in my memories. What is HR 3548? and does it present hope of an extension for those of us that have exhausted all benefits?

• michaelwilliams 11/15/2009 3:14pm

I think people forget that even though there are a lot of unemployed people out there, unemployment benefits are essentially charged to the employer. This means that employers are going to be out a lot more money, money that they now have to make up for by raising prices or lowing payrole. Lower payrole and layoffs only brings more unemployment. This bill is a black hole for the United States’ economy.

• specagent1 11/26/2009 2:54am

Ok i’ve recieved both my benefit letters and my monetary determination along with my call in date (which was today), so why do i get a message after i finish and hit that “1” key that last time that says “your payout cannot be made at this time, but you will be given credit for the weeks claimed” thats as close to the message i cna remember…can someone tell me what that means?? Please?

• hankoppe 12/09/2009 10:35am

Yes, this bill is important. It is estimated that the passage of this bill will generate an additonal 245k jobs annually for an industry that currently generates $1.3 trillion annually and supports 8.3 million direct travel-related jobs. Unemployment is currently 10% and this bill would benefit those unemployed or under-employed individuals.