H.R.3404 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.

GonzoFL 09/05/2009 3:13pm
in reply to need2knowinOHIO Sep 05, 2009 2:10pm

HR 3404

Last paragraph of Section 3:

© Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall apply as if included in the enactment of the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008, except that no amount shall be payable by virtue of such amendments with respect to any week of unemployment commencing before the date of the enactment of this Act.

Doesn’t sound retroactive to me. Payments would commence on the date the law is enacted. :(

Avelino_Maestas 08/28/2009 10:10am

OK all — time for the personal attacks and off-topic comments to stop. I’m gonna start banning IP address real quick.

dlh 08/07/2009 8:18am
in reply to NoGoodOnesLeft Aug 07, 2009 6:48am

I completely agree… I, for one, am part of those “not counted” because benefits ran out July. However, thank goodness, PA has extended EB and I will be able to collect 7 more weeks. Does anyone know if the state that had people run out over the past few weeks and who passes the 7 week extension, will they show up for August? I worked for my company 8 years and in December 2007 they called 200 people at home on Sunday afternoon and said “we’re cutting back, so don’t report tomorrow. We’ll mail you’re stuff.” Some of my friends worked for this company 20+ years!! I believe the problem I’m having finding a job is my age (50’s). But that’s just my opinion…..

abaratar 08/01/2009 8:32am
in reply to johnj2010 Aug 01, 2009 7:16am

It would be nice if they would extend unemployment based on the standards of the last administration which was to extend unemployment based on a rate of 6.5% or higher. It would also have been really nice if they would have allowed the republican amendment in the stimulus to make it so that income tax does not have to be payed on unemployment benefits. The sad thing is the people in Washington are just as pathetic as you, the reason we have to pay income tax on unemployment is because the proposal to eliminate income taxes on unemployment came from a republican and you know they can not let a republican measure pass.

Patriots 08/05/2009 5:22pm

I am going to post something very esoteric. After surfing the web, feeling that darkness was closing in on us from all sides, I somehow ran across this.

What’s Goin’ On? – Chapter 5

Good night.

dispaced2007 08/07/2009 7:59am

This is a good read – For all the relief over the jobless figures released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics Friday morning — 247,000 jobs were lost in July, far fewer than economists had expected — a dark problem lurks in the numbers: dangerously high levels of long-term unemployment in America.

johnj2010 08/01/2009 7:51pm

VLeichsenring 08/26/2009 1:56pm
in reply to Patriots Aug 26, 2009 1:53pm

You should know when to stop. Good night already!

dispaced2007 08/10/2009 10:27am

abaratar,

I’m going to www.google.com and www.yahoo.com every day

entering in search box: unemployment extension, unemployment benefits

need2know 08/01/2009 8:10am

I totally concur with all the unemployed in every state across the country. This has been the hardest time in my life that I have had difficulty locating another job at my age. Over 20 years experience, always teaching the younger sect, yet unsuccessful at becoming employed again. No one was prepared for the layoffs, and no one wants to hire at other companies. What should we do in order to continue living? Even public assistance frowns upon us. We want to work, and accomplish survival, but since we cannot get anyone to hire us right now, we NEED an extension in EVERY STATE!

johnj2010 08/04/2009 2:22pm

typo=(THE)

Contrary to what some right wing zealots have spun on the Sunday talk shows, extending unemployment benefits does not create an “incentive problem” for the unemployed to get a job. The sad reality is that there are six applicants for every one job that becomes available, leaving the unemployed with literally no recourse to any type of income without the benefit of an extension. The national unemployment rate, already the highest it has been since the Reagan Administration, looks to be headed north of 10% in the coming months. Millions of Americans are not sitting home, watching soap operas and eating bon bons because the federal has so generously gifted them with $300 checks once a week on which they rely for sustenance. They are looking for work in an environment where job openings are scarce.

Patriots 08/05/2009 3:56pm
in reply to ronaand Aug 05, 2009 1:23pm

It seems to me that because so many people that could afford it took advantage of the free fed. money for a new car, they are making it big publicity, about how their programs are helping us out. I suspect smoke and mirrors myself.

Who the hell is that helping? I wish I could afford to take advantage of it. We will probably hear about many of those cars being repossessed before too long.

Anonymous 08/11/2009 9:08pm

11 Inmates Collect 30K in Unemployment Benefits:

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/07/2009 6:48am

The unemployment rate fell even as employers continued to cut jobs because the Labor Department estimated there were 237,000 fewer people it counted as unemployed.
That decline in the labor force can be due to discouraged job seekers who have stopped looking for work, people who now consider themselves retired or those have gone back to school rather than applying for jobs.
“You can’t lose jobs and have the unemployment rate decline unless folks are opting out,” said Tig Gilliam, CEO of Adecco Group North America, a unit of the world’s largest employment staffing firm. “That means unemployment is going to go back up again.”

JohnB 08/29/2009 1:35pm

Can we please stay on topic.

HopefromCA 08/11/2009 7:18am

30 Million Americans out of full time employment =19%

For male teenagers, the numbers were disastrous: only 28 of every 100 males were employed in the 16- through 19-year-old age group. For minority teenagers, forget about it. The numbers are beyond scary; they’re catastrophic.

FLarlene 08/13/2009 10:25am
in reply to Robbi314 Aug 13, 2009 10:18am

Robbi, call someone higher up than the AWI customer service #. That is what I did. She reviewed my claim on the spot and released the funds.

Go as high as you need to.

Oh, and the classless person I spoke to reminded me that my benefits would be ending soon. So unprofessional.

Robbi314 08/13/2009 10:18am

Well, as I said in the other forum, I believe this all has something to do with job security for the AWI people. Kelley services is hiring teps to work for them. The gov’t pays hourl;y for each employee working on the EB program. Not only will this funnel more money stimulus money into the state( which we personally won’t benefit from), but it makes Florida’s unemployment numbers look better. So the longer they take to pull our claims apart, the better it is for them. Slick, huh???

dispaced2007 08/12/2009 9:58am
in reply to bl5 Aug 12, 2009 8:39am

This is a very good read….

Back to the 9-to-5—Finally

nancym 08/10/2009 10:26am
in reply to abaratar Aug 10, 2009 9:52am

Good point. This bill, H.R.3404, doesn’t even show up in recent Google News search.

unemployed2007 08/01/2009 8:41am

51 Views of this bill this morning. I’m going to twitter about it..hopefully gain some traffic to move it up on homepage.

NoGoodOnesLeft 08/01/2009 12:29pm

Can someone please tell me when corporations became more important than people? Did I blink and miss it?

nancym 08/02/2009 8:31am
in reply to abaratar Aug 02, 2009 8:25am

September IS “toward the end of the year.”

GonzoFL 08/03/2009 4:33am
in reply to nancym Aug 03, 2009 1:25am

Mr. Sherk has me profiled perfectly. My $275.00 a week has living the good life….free and easy, not a care in the world and better than the smell of napalm in the morning. I have had to make some tough choices though….had to give up my estate in the Hampton’s,no cruise to the south of France,can’t enter the George Hamilton coco butter open tanning contest in Aruba….sigh. But don’t worry Mr. Sherk I’ll be ok because I know that economists like yourself have it all figured out…ha ha…“If brains we gas you couldn’t drive an ants go cart around the inside of a cheerio once”. Take your med’s and go bad to sleep Mr. Sherk.

Patriots 08/05/2009 1:08pm

I just came from my local gas station. There was a woman with two kids sitting on the hood of her car crying in the 90 degree sun. One of the kids was holding a sign saying “Broke…out of gas…anything will help”

They lost their apartment when unemployment ran out. They are living in their car now.

I filled their gas tank and called a friend. His wife came and got them. At least they have a safe place to park and a meal tonight.

Something better be done soon to help people out here.

ronaand 08/06/2009 2:30am

fl arlene – people who write this are either employed or well-off (although berrnie maldoff types take care of that pretty well)
when you’re unemployed you’re an outcast, it’s you’re fault, you’re lazy
some of my most rewarding conversations lately come in groups where more and more family members have lost their jobs – all of a sudden, they’re sympathetic

jgallop 08/06/2009 11:16am
in reply to ohionoeb Aug 06, 2009 5:57am

There are so many crooks out there putting stimulus money in their pockets, what a criminal country we live in.

ohionoeb 08/07/2009 6:12am

Aug 7, 2009
Congress May Extend Unemployment Benefits

The U.S. Congress will consider extending unemployment benefits when it returns to work in September, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said on Friday.

www.cnbc.com/id/32329834

pslmom 08/06/2009 4:22am

Good morning, I thought I lost this support group. I have not been on for a couple weeks. Thank you all for keeping it going.

jgallop 08/02/2009 6:01am

There should definitely be an additional extension for 13+26 weeks, the economy is in shambles. I stopped by the Toyota dealer to smell the inside of the new cars and the salesman said I would qualify for CFC and I haven’t worked in 1 3/4 years.. Unreal I see repo city after this is all over with ..