H.R.3548 - Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009

To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (6)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as passed house.

woznyclan 09/21/2009 12:32pm

JM no worries buddy . He was talking to me on the illegals issue .

• Spam Comment

• Spam Comment

Cobaltblu 09/21/2009 11:38am

Don’t blame the unemployed, blame wall street and banks and financial institutions who made bad and risky loans and who took too many chances. Also blame the americans who stupidly took out home loans which they could never afford and who spawned a foreclosure crisis. Finally blame government itself who failed to exercise appropriate oversight of the economy and who could have largely prevented the economic crisis.

Redistribution of wealth is an important part of economies around the world because it allows for a more homogenous society. Imagine driving down a road and hitting a dirt section for half a mile and then going back on the pavement because the dirt section was in a town who couldn’t afford to pave it. Maybe you drive down that road and one section is made of Italian marble. That road represents the society we, as a whole, want to live in; maybe one section has a pothole or two but as a whole it is an acceptable experience for all.

• Spam Comment

Serendipity 09/21/2009 12:28pm

“When the economy is soaring and the bulls are running, I did not hear anyone say, “I am making to much, take some of it.” No, they spent their extra disposable income and didn’t save for a rainy day. IE: house, I POD, computer, car, 65 inch LCD and so forth. Most people who voted for this bill support it (94%). However, when it comes to health care most opposes it."

Su100TD,
    While I disagree with your view that both bills should be “shot down”, I do agree with you comments above. It’s hypocritical to complain about “Socialism” and being OVER TAXED and yet willingly accept unemployment benefits, Social Security, Medicare, Medical, food stamps, Veteran’s benefits, etc. Also, to pin the entire blame of the economic downturn on Wall Street, the banks, illegal aliens and the like is irresponsible and myopic. Everyone that participated in the behavior you mentioned, including participating in risky mortgages played a part in the dire state we are in today.

• Spam Comment

Robbi314 09/21/2009 2:15pm

Right or wrong, you feel that way because you aren’t the one who is wealthy. If you were, you wouldn’t. Trust me. If you won the lottery you wouldn’t give it all away so you were equal to everyone else. c’mon. It’s the way of the world. Ever heard of the “president” of a socialist country who was financially equal to the population?? LOL!

• Spam Comment

• Spam Comment

• Spam Comment

Serendipity 09/21/2009 3:21pm

“Ever heard of the “president” of a socialist country who was financially equal to the population??"

Not true. You are equating a Socialistic country with a dictatorship. Big difference.

• iliveinct 09/21/2009 11:18am

which is why I’ll be homeless…

• woznyclan 09/21/2009 11:20am

Thats whats great about this country . Everybody is entitled to their own oppinion . Even if it sux …

• jelee 09/21/2009 11:22am

the associated press just released at 3:22pm today on the main page of the internet, Unemployment Compensatiom benefits to be extended, its going to be 13 wks. for these following states that are 8.5% or higher.

They include Alabama, Arizona, California, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin and West Virginia.t .22

jelee 09/21/2009 11:26am

It smashes any other figure we have ever seen. It is an unthinkable number," said Andrew Stettner, NELP’s deputy director. He said there are currently about six jobless people for every job opening, so it’s unlikely people are purposefully living off unemployment insurance while waiting for something better to come along.

The current state unemployment check is about $300 a week, supplemented by $25 included in the stimulus act.

That doesn’t go very far when a loaf of bread can cost $2.79 and a gallon of milk $2.72, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont., said at a hearing last week on the unemployment insurance issue

jelee 09/21/2009 11:35am

I was a little to fast typing in that headline "Sorry’ it read
    HOUSE MOVES TO EXTENDED UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS

Reading this part looks like those phone calls are working :}

People from North Carolina to California “have been calling my office to tell me they still cannot find work a year or more after becoming unemployed, and they need some additional help to keep their heads above water,” McDermott said.

JMatzelle57 09/21/2009 11:41am

All my wife says it will all be ok but yea i dont believe her this really starting to hurt me more then anything in the world. IDK what to do anymore. doesnt the goverment understand people are holding on with everything they got but how long can they keep a strong grip. Doesnt the goverment understand we are hurting bad and we need help. Its not the goverment going through the pain. ITS THE PEOPLE

They should ask themselves if we dont extend to all states will be be giving up on the american people

• Spam Comment

JMatzelle57 09/21/2009 12:38pm

thanks No Goods,

As long as it will pass and help my family and others then we can all gang up on them again to pass ore

unemployed2007 09/21/2009 12:59pm

Thanks for the post. I hope they adapt it to match NELP’s recommendation too.

• Spam Comment

jelee 09/21/2009 11:40am

??? I just thought I would paste what I saw for everybody here in case they missed seeing it posted on the net. other then that I’ll leave the copying & pasteing to another individual on the board :}

GonzoFL 09/21/2009 12:52pm

I count 29 states plus P.R.as of Sept 20th

• Mnwolf 09/21/2009 11:40am

Living in Minnesota I am scared as my benifits just ran out and what little my girl friend and I did have put away will not last long, even with us cutting a bunch of things out it will not last, I have over 200 apps or resumes out there and not one call back, if anything this bill needs to address everyone, not just those that are in states with 8.5 or more..!!

• shellcia 09/21/2009 11:50am

More good news for Connecticut

Pratt & Whitney says they will be closing their Cheshire plant and a division of their East Hartford facility. Over 1,000 jobs will be lost.

JMatzelle57 09/21/2009 11:55am

shellcia,

Dam all airplane places are going down. I worked at lockheed martin

shellcia 09/21/2009 11:56am

Very sad, the union offered concessions and so did the Governor, to no avail!!

shellcia 09/21/2009 12:02pm

Pratt and Whitney, they just announced some jobs going to Georgia and some to Japan and Singapore…..

HopefromCA 09/21/2009 12:52pm

They should have rules that anything that is made for military should be made in USA only. (my opinion only)

2096 in favor / 373 opposed