H.R.3548 - Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009

To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (6)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as passed house.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/21/2009 2:57pm

LOL! I already know some karate. Is he saying I should just chop someone in the neck if they don’t give me a job? Or threaten to?

gigi1975 09/21/2009 2:59pm

that link takes you to a site where you can buy chuck norris gear. even if I wanted it I don’t have the money.

marym 09/21/2009 3:05pm

My dear Chuck. We are not all like that, not enough for sure. No matter how many strong ones there are now there is just not enough jobs to go around, period

GonzoFL 09/21/2009 3:09pm

Chuck Norris meet Karen Campbell….Chuck this is Karen,Karen this is Chuck. I now pronounce you moron and moron….now,take hands and take a long walk off a short pier.

• gigi1975 09/21/2009 2:55pm

How can the unemployment rate fall when job losses go up?

• marym 09/21/2009 2:56pm

So true now. The old ones know.

Americans have become weak and fearful things

Joe,

Today, a friend forwarded to me a news article with this headline: “Fines proposed for going without health insurance.” Here are some things I don’t get:

1) If folks can’t afford to reroof the Old Manse or buy groceries or put retreads on the Jimmy, how (and why) are they going to get insurance, and

2) If they can’t afford insurance, how are they going to afford the alleged fine, and

3) Who is the Insurance Police, who’s going to rat me out, and

4) Why did The Bastards wait until the whole country is unemployed to pull this shit, and

5) Who elected these boobs — wait, I have a long-standing soft spot for boobs; make that “idiots” — anyway, and supposedly to act in our interests? Not me.

marym 09/21/2009 2:57pm

My elected representatives so far stand mute on these salient and vexing points.

I tell ya, I’m glad I’m old and won’t have to watch much more of this nonsense go by. Although, my Ma’s 85 and going strong, still tearing up trees and throwing rocks, I seriously don’t think I can take it. I’ll blow the beans out of my pressure cooker one of these days.

And you? Well?

gigi1975 09/21/2009 3:05pm

I am not sure what you mean by blowing beans out of your pressure cooker but it doesn’t sound good.

marym 09/21/2009 3:09pm

Oh, I forgot the link.

marym 09/21/2009 3:17pm

So funny you vote yes for the first part but no for the second part of the same story.

• jjfinect 09/21/2009 2:57pm

Alright so let me get this straight. I live in Connecticut. So not only are we not getting the 7 weeks of EB but we will not qualify for the new federal extension either??? How could this be? Can’t exceptions be made? I mean everyone in CT knows the numbers have been messed with.

This is insane.

• tiffany5839 09/21/2009 2:57pm

Ya know I was confused when Don Manzullo sent me an email stating that they were working on passing another 6 months of unemployment extensions. I didn’t realize that what he meant was hr 3548 is 13 weeks and if they pass hr 3404 then that would be another 13 weeks. They really do need to extend the extensions to the end of 2010 otherwise that wouldn’t be fair to the newly unemployed people. But do you think that would include another 13 weeks also then? Maybe they will pass that before the new year cause that’s when we would all run out again. I’m sure they know from the reports that the job rates are going to get worse after 2009 so maybe that’s what Manzullo meant when he said 6 month extension. If thats true then that would be great!

jgallop 09/21/2009 4:15pm

Does this mean we will end up getting 85 weeks total?

Marly911 09/22/2009 3:33am

Here in pa it will be 79 + 13.

• canalguyopen 09/21/2009 2:57pm

So the yahoo page lists the states that will qualify but Rhode Island is not on the list, we have the second highest unemployment rate in the country, am I to believe this bill does not help us?

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/21/2009 3:01pm

No, they just screwed up. They also left off Idaho and Maine.

jgallop 09/21/2009 4:11pm

Will the cut off date still be 2006?

gigi1975 09/21/2009 3:03pm

surely it is a yahoo mistake

gigi1975 09/21/2009 3:03pm

of course when is the media wrong?

nancym 09/21/2009 3:47pm

No worries, RI is on that list, the previous news quote was incomplete.

See http://www.house.gov/mcdermott/pr090910.shtml

or the Doleta link for the TUR rate on which the 8.5% qualifying rate is based. Your own Senator Reed introduced a bill in the Senate earlier on.

• jjfinect 09/21/2009 2:59pm

We are even showing 8.1% Who is looking out for Connecticut???

marym 09/21/2009 3:11pm

Don’t worry, a whole bunch are working on it.

Us old new englanders are a tough bunch for sure.

GonzoFL 09/21/2009 3:20pm

But what is your TUR?

marym 09/21/2009 3:31pm

That is the Ct. TUR now, 8.1%

Are you asking about the three month TUR average?

johnj2010 09/21/2009 3:30pm

Jen

We keep getting screwed, you have to look at the TUR = wew are @ 7.93 – we need the rate in October (Sept numbers) to stay the same or go up to 8.2 just TO GET THE 7 WEEKS OF eb?

Unless a miracle happens we wont see nothing on this bill till who knows when

I’ll take the 7 weeks or maybe one of our GREAT Senators will come through & fight for all states!! Governor Rell supports the bill!!

• tangy 09/21/2009 2:59pm

i wanted to know if this will be retroactive for the people who have been with out benefits since august if passed.

gigi1975 09/21/2009 3:08pm

No. It begins on the day it is signed (I think)

GonzoFL 09/21/2009 3:16pm

As this bill is written now,it is not retroactive. Enactment of the bill will dictate the start date.

johnj2010 09/21/2009 3:30pm

• tiffany5839 09/21/2009 3:01pm

I believe they will pass weeks for everyone. After all everyone needs this. It probably won’t be retroactive. Once it’s passed and the moneys in yourn account, the weeks will start then

2096 in favor / 373 opposed