H.R.3548 - Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009

To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (6)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as passed house.

libbelle 11/06/2009 4:17am

Actually, you are mistaken. The Democrats have enough votes (in either body) to carry any vote. The media attempts to place blame on Republicans so as to skew voters (such as yourself) from backing Republicans.

dartcanyon 10/28/2009 1:15pm

I have been posting on every site I’ve been on just as hundreds of others have. It is deplorable that this is evening happening. Republicans are ruining this country and driving the knife deeper in the unemployed worker’s backs. Maybe they’ll get the message when no one votes Republican again. Every unemployment dollar is taxed so the government gets back every dollar they send out. Let’s all STOP paying those taxes and see how soon the government comes knocking on our doors with threats. And yes… we should get retroactive monies because it’s not our fault we are out of work and that there are hundreds of people applying for one job. Wake up Washington!!

dartcanyon 10/28/2009 1:21pm

Also, EVERY Social Security check has $96 taken out of it before we even see it so it’s not like we are getting something we don’t deserve nor pay back. The government TAKES their money back. Take the $ 10 million or so that was just put into a stupid rocket. That would pay a lot of unemployed people. Go to the Senatus site and you will see all the ridiculous bills that they are working on instead of the critical unemployment extension issue. And we are supposed to have so much faith in Washington? Obama can handle this bill by himself by using his executive powers. So what’s his problem?? Read up on it.

jlacombe1 10/28/2009 3:12pm

OMG COME THE FUCK ON FOR ALL THE PEOPLE HURTING, INCLUDING ME, WE NEED THIS SHYT! IM BEHIND IN ALL MY BILLS, I LOST MY CAR, MY APARTMENT, AND I STILL HAVE A 2 YR OLD TO TAKE CARE OF! SO WTF!! YES WE NEED THIS I HAVE SEARCHED AND SEARCHED AN SEARCHED AN CANT FIND ANYTHING!! I HOPE THE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT ARE SAYING NO!!!!!!! SHOULD DIE AND GET THROWN UNDER THE BUS WIT US! TRYIN BEIN POOR! TRY LOOSING EVERYTHING! TRY HAVING EVERYONE THINK YOUR A LOSER CUZ OF WAT HAPPENS FINANCIALLY. THANKS FOR YOUR AWESOME CONCERN AND CARING FOR OTHERS TO SAY NO, DONT HELP THESE PEOPLE! WE ALL APPRECIATE!

• johnj2010 09/11/2009 5:09pm

All states should qaulify!!!

• woznyclan 09/11/2009 5:25pm

I back this bill 100% ! Thanx EVERYONE for all the info and support .

• need2knowinOHIO 09/11/2009 7:22pm

I just would like to know who is the one person who opposes this bill…show your face!!

johnj2010 09/11/2009 8:00pm

Probably Michele Malkin :))

romeoclown 10/19/2009 4:57am

orin hatch republican

romeoclown 10/27/2009 5:06am

orin hatch utah.the latest to screw americans dave vitter la.

• JohnB 09/11/2009 8:21pm

I’ve switched over :)

JMatzelle57 09/11/2009 8:39pm

johnb,

im soo worried that nys will dip below 8.5 and ill be screwed what you think..the triger still shows @

finaltruth 10/22/2009 6:37am

if it does not i am sure it will be fixed to show it is. lets face it republicans want the unemployed workers in this country to die.

• NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 2:38am

Another good thing abut this bill is that it was only referred to 1 committee instead of 2 so it can definitely move faster than 3404. My theory as to a reason why it was lowered to 8.5% is that the 9% probably wasn’t getting enough support since it only helped 22 states.

johnj2010 09/12/2009 6:55am
    this bill helped 5 more states like NY (Charlie Rangel)- What about the other 25 states were all in the same situation. I dont see my REPS voting yea" if it doesn’t help our state?
    JMatzelle57 09/12/2009 7:04am

john ur thinking about his other bill for 9% this bill he streamlined and requires a 8.5% im worried that we wont get it we will know next friday when the unemployment rate comes out on friday hopefully it didnt drop from a 8.6 to below 8.3 because then we dont hit the average

nancym 09/12/2009 8:05am

JMatzelle57—

johnj2010 is from Connecticut. There are about 23 states that will still not qualify if this bill passes as is, even in this modified version. Your state of NY almost certainly will qualify, unless there’s some dramatic drop in unemployment (in our dreams).

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 7:32am

John, I keep saying – and discussed it with Patriots yesterday – that the Senate Finance Committee is having their hearing on 9/15 regarding Unemployment Compensation. The 2 member speakers are from kind of low average rate states – Montana at 6.5% and Iowa at 6.1%. They have released the list of witnesses and someone from NELP will be there. I think they will put forward something about helping all states since the long term unemployed in MT and IA didn’t even get EB.

johnj2010 09/12/2009 7:44am

nogoodonesleft

I dont want you or peole on this board to think I’m against the bill, We ALL states need extensions. I’m more frustrated with CT labor than anything.

We were without eb since July 18th, I’m going through my savings & now 401k, I applied for many jobs including the 150-200 according to our wonderful Republican Governor , Rell(only seen 4 postings)jobs for Jerry Springer,Maury Povich & Steve Wilkos show.(No one locally got a job)

We’ll wait & see what happens Tuesday-Thanks for the info!!

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 7:46am

I know what you mean. I am in MA so I couldn’t have cared less about 3404.

• GonzoFL 09/12/2009 5:44am

JMatzelle57:

Your TUR average right now is 8.5%. In order for NYS to fall below the 8.5% average,your preliminary July numbers would have to drop(it’s at 8.6%) drastically or your August numbers will have to drop to about 8.1%.

JMatzelle57 09/12/2009 6:09am

gonzofl,

like honest whats the chances..we drop that much to get below 8.5

JMatzelle57 09/12/2009 6:10am

gonzofl,

like honest whats the chances..we drop that much to get below 8.5

im like soo nervous

Patriots 09/12/2009 7:22am

Something to keep in mind with EB is that even if you qualify for it one month and then your rate drops below the trigger rate the next month, EB ends.

nancym 09/12/2009 8:08am

But remember this bill is not EB, rather EUC. I don’t recall, but I don’t think EUC could end abruptly like that; correct me if I’m wrong on that about EUC.

nancym 09/12/2009 8:17am

Let me amend my own remark. Yes, it is EUC money, but the qualifier basis is EB. Whether the 13 weeks would be interrupted for a dip in the qualifying status, like EB, is a really good question. Hmmm. Probably have to study the details of the wording, if that’s even addressed in this short bill!

JMatzelle57 09/12/2009 8:21am

nacy they should but this under extened benifits. I mean really idk nys is bad anyway. my uncles lost his job and so did his wife has to put his kids up for adoption because he cant afford anything. Its horrible what do we do its soo hard

nancym 09/12/2009 8:36am

You do NOT want this to be put under EB entirely. That would require state legislatures to go through a whole approval process again in many states, and it would be a mess of delays. Besides the extra paperwork of those work search requirements.

• Zeo 09/12/2009 6:53am

I have contacted all my State Representative both State and Washington offices by phone, e-mail and U.S. Mail. I have asked them to co-sponsor this bill immediately. I will continue to try and hold them accountable until I see they have signed on. Any representative who would not offer to support this legislation and support his/her constituency should be ashamed. With no moral or ethical character for actions trying to do the right thing will only help improve the demise of many impoverished Americans. I am tired of always having all my questions answered during my first claim, and refuse to let my representatives get away with continually using selective comprehension while trying to put me together with a bunch of cognitively incompetent nonsense! Please contact your representatives and ask them to show there moral fiber and support this legislation.

Patriots 09/12/2009 7:12am

Those unemployed in all the states that this and those other bills do nothing to help do not support it as it is written now.

2096 in favor / 373 opposed