H.R.3548 - Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009

To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (6)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as passed house.

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 7:37am

I agree with that. 1 MA Rep has signed onto this bill so far but none of them signed onto 3404. The thing is the way this bill is written it currently helps 26 states and possibly another 6 when the new rates come out 9/18 which might give them the majority they need to pass it. But I still think they will do something for all states.

• ohionoeb 09/12/2009 6:59am

They got this Bill 3548 up on “OC” quick..Let’s hope it passes… just as quickly..

• Patriots 09/12/2009 7:08am

I will re-post what I posted on the other board this morning The coffee finally kicked in.

I signed off early last night to read, so I didn’t get to reply to the CT people. I’ts another rainy day here so I am stuck inside again.

“In Connecticut they think if they close their eyes we will just go away!!!”

That is how our state has always been. They ignore the poor and try to sweep them under the rug. We give a bad image to our “rich” state.

I just heard Rell is cutting help for the poor from the budget too.

I have not even got a reply from our Senators or my Rep. That is the first time that has ever happened. The only ones I got a reply from our my State level Rep. and Senator and though they agree with me there is not much they can do for us. My state Senator is a good guy though, he said he will do some investigative work and he is on our Labor Committee.

Patriots 09/12/2009 7:09am

As far as what we can do besides contacting our Senators and the Rep. for your district I would say NELP is our best bet. They have asked for people to post their stories on there site so they can use them to help us. Any CT people and any other people from states in our situation need to do that.

The AFL-CIO is supposed to be supporting an extension for all states too, but all I have seen from them is that one letter. The unemployment section on their site has not even been updated for months. They are too occupied in the health care thing right now to put much effort into unemployment it seems.

Here is the NELP link for your story.

• Patriots 09/12/2009 7:10am

Number of unemployed workers per available job continues to climb
    By Heidi Shierholz
    September 9, 2009

While the moderating of job losses in August, as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) on September 4, is a very welcome sign, it is still getting harder and harder each month for unemployed workers to find a job.

This morning, the BLS released the July report from the Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey (JOLTS), which showed that job openings decreased by 121,000 in July. Throughout the recession, the number of unemployed workers has continued to grow, increasing by 6.9 million from December 2007 to July 2009. In July, there were 12.1 million more unemployed workers than job openings, or 6.0 job seekers per available job—up from 5.9 in June

Patriots 09/12/2009 7:10am

In July, there were 12.1 million more unemployed workers than job openings"

And that is using the BLS numbers. I’m sure the real number is much higher. That means that all those people have absolutely no chance of finding a job. What are they going to do? We had a conversation here the other night about what may happen in America. I think those numbers show how serious the situation really is.

• michguy09 09/12/2009 7:19am

does anyone hear know when and if this bill will be voted upon thnks in advance trying to keep the lights on in MICHIGAN

• jgallop 09/12/2009 7:23am

I’ve switched over http://www.house.gov/mcdermott/news.shtml

jgallop 09/12/2009 7:28am

I hear ya Mi. I’m in the same boat, in the DETROIT FREE PRESS yesterday Pelosi is said to be trying to get an extension moving, god bless her for that..

Serendipity 09/13/2009 11:43am

OMG, if that power hungry “Socialist” Nancy Pelosi is behind it, there must be and ‘evil’ agenda behind it! lol

Serendipity 09/13/2009 11:44am

(correction) an ‘evil’ agenda

starvinginmichigan 10/07/2009 8:24am

they say it will come to vote later this week…in other words they are saying the same crap we have been hearing for weeks.it’s obvious these senators don’t care about the people…remember this on election day

jgallop 10/07/2009 8:59am

The jobs are still being outsourced, Both candidates campaigned about negotiating NAFTA , nothing has been done, jobs are still moving out to this day, Saturn is done in the USA but I bet you they will make it in China.

• jgallop 09/12/2009 7:26am

I support this bill , the jobs are not there for everyone that is out of work and to say an extension would just let people sit and not look for work is a terrible thing to say about hard working americans that have lost their jobs due to outsourcing and downsizing due to no fault of their own..

JMatzelle57 09/12/2009 7:29am

Patroit, Whats the chances anyone actually goes below it. really i mean its slim and what happens if we slip alittle and go below it but the month after were above it… they have to give us our money again

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 7:39am

I am confused. Are you in NY or CT? NY had 8.7 in June and 8.6 in July. As long as you get 8.2 in August you should qualify. So even it it drops 0.1 like it did last month, you would still qualify.

JMatzelle57 09/12/2009 7:50am

im in ny…im worried that it will drop below and we get screwed i mean 2 months would be great 8 weeks ill be happy lol…

But what i dont get is the 3 month avg if they go by june july and aug how can they take away the eb or they keep doing it. How can they cut eb benifits like that just give us the money

like we get the 4 weeks based on june july and aug..

then another 4 weeks for july aug and sept

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 8:00am

That is the way the EB law is written. When it triggers off, payments stop 3 weeks later and it can’t be triggered back on (regardless of the rates)for 13 weeks from when it triggered off. I’m not sure if this bill would follow the same rules or if once you qualify, you would get all 13. If Nancy were on here now, she would probably know.

JMatzelle57 09/12/2009 8:03am

any way to conntact nancy and find out…

im curious

so say im done with my 4th week and we trigger of we will get a extra 3 weeks and thats it

any way to contact nacy on here…They shouldnt have that trigger bs. What happens if it really gets bad say we drop below and then sky rocket because of crashing stocks again. It can happen

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 8:08am

I just noticed she made a post on page 1 just recently. NANCY!!! Maybe she’ll see her name in caps and throw in her 2 cents on this topic.

nancym 09/12/2009 8:21am

LOL! Jeez, guys!

Yes, I also posted again on page one and then amended my response to Patriots. I’ll repeat my comment here:

“Let me amend my own remark. Yes, it is EUC money, but the qualifier basis is EB. Whether the 13 weeks would be interrupted for a dip in the qualifying status, like EB, is a really good question. Hmmm. Probably have to study the details of the wording, if that’s even addressed in this short bill!”

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 8:24am

Well, Nancy, you are the OC drudge worker (LOL) so of course we expect you to know everything!

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 8:26am

Nancy, you should apply for a federal government job as “Unemployed Workers Liason.” I’m sure everyone here would give you good references.

nancym 09/12/2009 8:42am

Well, as a matter of fact, I did apply some months back, but it was not for the government, but for a similar part-time job with NELP. I was interviewed and think maybe I was seriously considered, but in the end they decided to choose someone who could come into their NYC office once in a while for meetings. Can’t blame them for that, really.

That position, now filled, is what is responsible for fleshing out the previously rarely updated unemployedworkers site that NELP runs, and other chores.

But thanks for the vote of confidence; maybe I’ll put it on my list of references. “Majority of posters on the Open Congress forum,” contact info unknown." lol!

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/12/2009 8:52am

I have been around awhile (even though I only registered once they made me) so I know the kind of stuff that went on here and won’t give my personal info to anyone here. But I would gladly send an e-mail letter to OpenCongress for you to use if you ever really do need references from here.

JMatzelle57 09/12/2009 8:54am

nacy i would like to thank you for answering the questions..

As you can see im not nervous about the bill passing im nervous it will pass and we will drop below in nys which idk i dont think it will its just alittle unstable

JMatzelle57 09/12/2009 8:56am

patriot there is another bill the reed bill for unemployment its the same exact bill thats going to be addresed tue

go down to tue the 15 finance you will see thats the reed bill

there it is..

its bill 1647

Patriots 09/12/2009 9:19am

And the reason you are posting that as replies to that post are what? Maybe just a mistake.

Patriots 09/12/2009 9:10am

So would I, under the same situation.

nancym 09/12/2009 9:38am

Thanks, Patriots. Hopefully I’ll find more web-related work anyway. I am getting a few more little bits, but hardly any comparison to a regular job. But I’m going to be taking a few online courses for added skills I need. So I’m in a better mood this morning than I was this past week.

2096 in favor / 373 opposed