H.R.3548 - Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009

To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. view all titles (6)

• Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To amend the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary availability of certain additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 as passed house.

CHICAGOILL 09/21/2009 8:56am
i have been on this forum since april of 2007, when this really all started with the extensions. i still havent had any luck finding a job since. came close but no such luck. i just wanted to say a few words. i really dont think 13 weeks is nearly enough. i think ALL states should get 13 weeks, and states that are at 8.5% or higher should get 20 weeks. its just my opinion.
jelee 09/21/2009 11:35am
in reply to jelee Sep 21, 2009 11:22am

I was a little to fast typing in that headline "Sorry’ it read
HOUSE MOVES TO EXTENDED UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS

Reading this part looks like those phone calls are working :}

People from North Carolina to California “have been calling my office to tell me they still cannot find work a year or more after becoming unemployed, and they need some additional help to keep their heads above water,” McDermott said.

tiffany5839 09/21/2009 10:59am

Hi everyone! I just wanted to inform you guys that Andrew Settner from NELP emailed me and said for everyone to go to this link and let your voice be heard……http://www.nelp.org/page/speakout/ExtBenefitsNow to everyone you know. Please also call your member of Congress to make sure they hear the message loud and clear by dialing the congressional switchboard at (202) 224-3121. He stressed that it is really important that we do this today so we flood the emails and calls because they are probably going to decide what they are giving the states tomorrow. He also said the only reason this got pushed sooner is because of all the people calling and emailing. He said if for some reason the only pass this bill for states over 8.5% that NELP will make sure that ALL states get weeks by having a duplicate bill for states under 8.5%. I’m pretty positive everyone will get some kind of help. So lets all work together and bother these people again!

gigi1975 09/21/2009 1:52pm

Detroit’s jobless economy: Start-ups take root

JMatzelle57 09/21/2009 10:33am
in reply to iliveinct Sep 21, 2009 10:26am

KEEP CALLING THE SENATE FIND OUT WHEN THEY WILL PASS IT!!!!!!!.

I WANT THEM TO GET THE BILL PASSED NOW!!!! FOR ILLVEINCT AND EVERYONE GET THIS PASSED!!! PUSH THEM. THEN WHEN WE ARE DONE PUSH THEM TO DO MORE WE VOTE FOR THEM TO REPRESENT US!! SO LET THEM DO WHAT WE ASK!!!

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/21/2009 11:31am

Going by the 9/20 list, it looks like they left out Idaho, Maine and Rhode Island. I count 26 (not 22) on your list plus these 3 makes 29.

ohiotarheel 09/21/2009 11:05am

I’ll be very thankful for an extension. I’ve used up all of my benefits & am in desperate need of help. However I would hope that all states would get help. Everyone is hurting…Also I certainly don’t believe that in 13 weeks the economy will be any better, so this is a very temporary fix. Then what?

GonzoFL 09/21/2009 3:16pm
in reply to tangy Sep 21, 2009 2:59pm

As this bill is written now,it is not retroactive. Enactment of the bill will dictate the start date.

gigi1975 09/21/2009 3:08pm
in reply to tangy Sep 21, 2009 2:59pm

No. It begins on the day it is signed (I think)

woznyclan 09/21/2009 9:09am

I’m with you on that but we’re singing to the choir . Atleast this will buy us some time and keep our kids fed . From what I have read today the future job prospects are not any better . HR3404 is still to adressed by the end of the year from my understanding .

me2unemployed 09/21/2009 9:29am

A question for the board

Do you think ant congresman or senator may stand up for all states? I agree 13 for all states & 20 for 8.5 & higher!!

Zeo 09/21/2009 11:00am

I’m grateful for everyone’s hard work, persistence and call for help ensuring there members of Congress act and support unemployed Americans While it appears the Bill will pass this week it remains to be seen if all states will end up with an extension. Helping only a few while so many are in need is unacceptable and simply not good enough. I will continue to compel my state representatives to do the right thing and extend benefits for all States. Every individual and family requires the same humanistic action that other states will receive.

jelee 09/21/2009 11:22am

the associated press just released at 3:22pm today on the main page of the internet, Unemployment Compensatiom benefits to be extended, its going to be 13 wks. for these following states that are 8.5% or higher.

They include Alabama, Arizona, California, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin and West Virginia.t .22

jelee 09/21/2009 11:26am
in reply to jelee Sep 21, 2009 11:22am

It smashes any other figure we have ever seen. It is an unthinkable number," said Andrew Stettner, NELP’s deputy director. He said there are currently about six jobless people for every job opening, so it’s unlikely people are purposefully living off unemployment insurance while waiting for something better to come along.

The current state unemployment check is about $300 a week, supplemented by $25 included in the stimulus act.

That doesn’t go very far when a loaf of bread can cost $2.79 and a gallon of milk $2.72, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont., said at a hearing last week on the unemployment insurance issue

gigi1975 09/21/2009 3:13pm
in reply to tiffany5839 Sep 21, 2009 3:11pm

It depends on your state. We always have to reapply.

woznyclan 09/24/2009 6:19pm
in reply to SFGA Sep 24, 2009 6:13pm

Go Away ! …. Please

JohnB 09/21/2009 2:47pm
in reply to jgallop Sep 21, 2009 2:30pm

Sorry, but my thoughts do not put bread on the table or pay the bills. :)

jjfinect 09/21/2009 2:57pm

Alright so let me get this straight. I live in Connecticut. So not only are we not getting the 7 weeks of EB but we will not qualify for the new federal extension either??? How could this be? Can’t exceptions be made? I mean everyone in CT knows the numbers have been messed with.

This is insane.

iliveinct 09/21/2009 1:18pm

watch

tangy 09/21/2009 2:59pm

i wanted to know if this will be retroactive for the people who have been with out benefits since august if passed.

tiffany5839 09/21/2009 3:01pm

I believe they will pass weeks for everyone. After all everyone needs this. It probably won’t be retroactive. Once it’s passed and the moneys in yourn account, the weeks will start then

dispaced2007 09/21/2009 2:01pm

Yahoo main page news: House moves to extend unemployment benefits

Please click on “BuzzUp” so the story gets more exposure

BPennett 11/04/2009 1:59am

and he does support this bill as I ardently do….(with emphasis)….

NoGoodOnesLeft 09/21/2009 3:01pm
in reply to canalguyopen Sep 21, 2009 2:57pm

No, they just screwed up. They also left off Idaho and Maine.

dispaced2007 09/21/2009 12:51pm

Here’s a pulse on the layoffs:

Number of layoffs since Nov. 1, 2008, at America’s 500 largest public companies: 609,408

Here’s the link to the “smaller” companies layoffs:

kurebeachman 11/02/2009 9:05am
YES, Lets please stop the BS. I have come to site for good info and its turning into a JOKE. Let stay on the bill.
Cobaltblu 09/21/2009 11:38am
in reply to Su100TD Sep 21, 2009 11:15am

Don’t blame the unemployed, blame wall street and banks and financial institutions who made bad and risky loans and who took too many chances. Also blame the americans who stupidly took out home loans which they could never afford and who spawned a foreclosure crisis. Finally blame government itself who failed to exercise appropriate oversight of the economy and who could have largely prevented the economic crisis.

Redistribution of wealth is an important part of economies around the world because it allows for a more homogenous society. Imagine driving down a road and hitting a dirt section for half a mile and then going back on the pavement because the dirt section was in a town who couldn’t afford to pave it. Maybe you drive down that road and one section is made of Italian marble. That road represents the society we, as a whole, want to live in; maybe one section has a pothole or two but as a whole it is an acceptable experience for all.

GonzoFL 09/21/2009 12:52pm
in reply to NoGoodOnesLeft Sep 21, 2009 11:31am

I count 29 states plus P.R.as of Sept 20th

me2unemployed 09/21/2009 8:56am

P.S-Most states are being hit-hard!!

The House is scheduled to vote on Tuesday on the measure to extend jobless benefits for another 13 weeks in hard-hit states

shellcia 09/21/2009 11:50am

More good news for Connecticut

Pratt & Whitney says they will be closing their Cheshire plant and a division of their East Hartford facility. Over 1,000 jobs will be lost.

2096 in favor / 373 opposed