H.R.3590 - Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to modify the first-time homebuyers credit in the case of members of the Armed Forces and certain other Federal employees, and for other purposes. view all titles (46)

• Popular: Health care reform bill as .
  • Official: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to modify the first-time homebuyers credit in the case of members of the Armed Forces and certain other Federal employees, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Popular: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act as introduced.
  • Popular: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Legislative Vehicle) as introduced.
  • Short: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act as passed senate.
  • Official: An act entitled The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. as amended by senate.
  • Short: Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: Catalyst to Better Diabetes Care Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: CLASS Act as passed senate.
  • Short: Community Living Assistance Services and Supports Act as passed senate.
  • Short: Congenital Heart Futures Act as passed senate.
  • Short: Cures Acceleration Network Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: EARLY Act as passed senate.
  • Short: Elder Justice Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: ENHANCED Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: Establishing a Network of Health-Advancing National Centers of Excellence for Depression Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Short: Young Women's Breast Health Education and Awareness Requires Learning Young Act of 2009 as passed senate.
  • Official: An act entitled The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. as introduced.
  • Popular: Health care reform bill.
  • Popular: Patient protection and affordable care bill.
  • Short: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act as passed house.
  • Short: Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: Catalyst to Better Diabetes Care Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: CLASS Act as passed house.
  • Short: Community Living Assistance Services and Supports Act as passed house.
  • Short: Congenital Heart Futures Act as passed house.
  • Short: Cures Acceleration Network Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: EARLY Act as passed house.
  • Short: Elder Justice Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: ENHANCED Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: Establishing a Network of Health-Advancing National Centers of Excellence for Depression Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: Young Women's Breast Health Education and Awareness Requires Learning Young Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Short: Young Women's Breast Health Education and Awareness Requires Learning Young Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act as enacted.
  • Short: Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: Catalyst to Better Diabetes Care Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: CLASS Act as enacted.
  • Short: Community Living Assistance Services and Supports Act as enacted.
  • Short: Congenital Heart Futures Act as enacted.
  • Short: Cures Acceleration Network Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: EARLY Act as enacted.
  • Short: Elder Justice Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: ENHANCED Act of 2009 as enacted.
  • Short: Establishing a Network of Health-Advancing National Centers of Excellence for Depression Act of 2009 as enacted.

Dmdclossin 03/25/2010 8:14am

You state that Insurance is part of you benefits compensation such as your paycheck. So by that logic you think that those who are unable to owrk or work for a company who can not afford insurance coverage that they not be allowed to have help with getting coverage. IF this is the case then isn’t the same thing as those who receive SS checks, Medicaid, Medicare, Food stamps… aren’t those forms of compensation for those who can’t be compensated and why is so radical to think that the same government that gives these compensations also be able to give insurance benefit as well.

• geekmom 03/24/2010 10:58am

Yet even here we still see the majority of the people do not want this monstrosity. Yet you democrats refused to listen. November comes up fast and I can’t wait to VOTE YOU OUT.

• Bostondan 03/24/2010 11:02am

The “True Believers” of Big Government will love this bill. Those of us who realize that as governments get bigger and more powerful, citizens are less free, upward social and economic mobility slows, and citizens get poorer will work like heck to get this repealed. George Will articulates it best: “As America’s teetering tower of unkeepable promises grows, so does the weight of government, in taxes and mandates that limit investments and discourage job creation. America’s dynamism, and hence upward social mobility, will slow, as the economy becomes what the party of government wants it to be — increasingly dependent on government-created demand.” —columnist George Will

jonhoye 03/24/2010 12:48pm

Don’t kid yourself that there is anyone who falls into the category of Believer of Big Government. It’s simply a matter of choosing your sacrifices. We all want a government big enough to tackle anti-trust when needed, to defend the borders at very least and to protect the population. This falls into that first category while also increasing solvency, something that slipped very far from our fingers in our response to both real and perceived threats over the past decade.

• Bostondan 03/24/2010 3:03pm

Check this out, it says it all: http://www.rasmussenreports.com/content/view/full/27899

• jonhoye 03/24/2010 5:55pm

I may try to reply to the Howard Rich essay here, since it’s the bottom of the thread. This guy sure quotes a lot of figures without offering any source for where he gets them. It’s also frustrating that he uses such obvious exaggeration. He’s a very wealthy man, maybe he has some access to privy information, but he’s the first guy to question the CBO report in everything I’ve read. Not exactly an unbiased investigative journalist there, I’ll be surprised if he gets much traction.

Until very recently I very much supported most libertarians, voting for them whenever I got to the polls, but these guys are off the rocker lately. What’s an independent party that wants to reduce the deficit and reach fiscal responsibility, not simply by avoiding interaction with government, but by actually working within it.

• Dmdclossin 03/27/2010 9:02am

LMAO I just think that, Yes you should defy the Governmentwhen they do something that is unethical and flat out wrong but please just don’t be the person who complains and B****s when your employer sticks you with the cheapest plan they can find and quite possibly may just be as usless as not having Insurance at all. Please do not be the people that complain becasue you are getting collection calls because your kid broke their leg and get stuck with a $6k bill for just a MRI. Don’t be mad when your plan drops your butt when you get cancer and your plan tells you “sorry we’re only going to give you $100,000 for a lifetime benefit” when your Chemo run at $15k a treatment. As for the president himself, lets face it like him or hate him he promised this would be done and in just over a year it’s done unlike the other presidents who tried and failed over the past 40 years.

• PChalks 03/29/2010 8:38am

I would like to know why you left out Sec. 1513 from your summary of this bill. That is not in any indicative of “Open” anything, Congress or otherwise. That is perhaps the most invasive, calamitous aspect of this bill, and one that has gotten no attention whatsoever from the media. Virtually no one knows it exists; therefore, nobody knows the harm it will cause to our economy.

• jsprong 04/07/2010 5:59am

I totally disagree with the methods these people are using to display their disagreement with this bill. They made it much harder for the rest of us to be able to disagree with this bill in a way that we are actually heard, in a way which may be more useful for making progress. And, as long as the and debated,se idiots continue acting like this, and using violence, the threat of violence, or other foul talk to respond to things that they don’t like, people are going to continue to equate them to everyone else who disagrees with what Obama and the rest of the government is doing.
    While the summary of H.R.3962 looks fantastic, the real meat of the bill is nothing but a bunch of lining for rich people and politicians, people who wanted their fingers in it to get something for themselves. Obama did nothing to stop this, as he had promised to do during campaigning.
    I guess for now the government will stay behind them, and keep getting away with nibbling away at our constitutional rights.

• kbthiede 04/22/2010 4:36pm

haha bill is law, and you losers are whining even though it seems to help the guys you jerk off to every night: the wealthy corporate elite

• jabariabramson 05/01/2010 10:07am

Do we need an amendment to separate corporation and state? Good Lord, they need to just hit the kids with healthier lifestyles, exercise and preventative care and implement medicinal marijuana to help cut those damn prescription pill costs down and the government could take in some revenue.

• mastermeerkat 05/15/2010 9:43am

This bill was suppose to be good

Without the public option this law only makes it worse.

mouseissue 05/23/2010 8:46am

Almost nothing the gov’t does is good!

Mediocre is the best they can do (And even that is rare).

• elmichle 05/25/2010 7:03pm

Last month our elected officials fed myself and many others to the sharks, when they did not add a tier 5 in Pennsylvania. Since then I have searched the websites of Arlen Specter and Bob Casey, to see if they were addressing this issue. What I have found is that they all just seem to be ignoring it. They are not mentioning unemployment at all. The are all shouting and throwing their hands up in praise of some workforce recovery act. I received a response to an email that I sent to Casey, about my need for a tier 5, and he responded by telling me about this great work force recovery bill they passed. He did not even mention the word unemployment in it, not once. These politicians want to tell us they have created jobs – why don’t they offer us one then? Now they are going to give an extension to others and not to us. If they give an extension to any they should give one to all. I have been looking for work, for so long, and now I don’t have any money at all to look for work.

• elmichle 05/25/2010 7:17pm

I am a long term unemployed individual. I had spent 28 years working and paying taxes in the State of Pennsylvania. I was last employed, for 10 years, as a technician in the lab of a textile processing facility. I have an associates degree in the arts and I am now in my junior year of the B.A. program at Kutztown University. I have lots of experience and education. I have been looking for a job for a long time and I have not found one. Bad (employed) people are saying that I/we are lazy and not looking for work. I was filing mail claims for quite some time, to receive my benefits. Any one of our elected officials should know this much, or they should not even be broaching the subject. The truth is you can’t be a long term unemployed individual and not have been looking for work, because, at one point, you must document your searches. If my congressmen don’t help me, I do not know who I will vote for – none of them deserves to draw a paycheck from the taxes I will pay.

• elmichle 05/25/2010 7:19pm

I already voted out specter for turning his back on us. Who’s next?

nivekeleets21 06/24/2010 1:09pm

he voted yes for the bill.

• vote4whoandwhy 05/26/2010 4:44am

OK, this may sound wacked out,BUT what if each state took the funds out of its lottery commission to fund its individual state’s unemployment extension?? Everyone KNOWS how much money is made by the lottery commission!!! Just a thought. Horray for the great work force recovery bill. Let’s hope it works…(rolls eyes) BUT PLEASE CONGRESS, PASS AN AMENDMENT to the existing tier AT LEAST to get us through to eat, pay for gas to get to our interviews, and to pay for clothing and shoes for an interview!!

• Hearmenow 06/04/2010 6:38am

Please forgive my ignorance but before I say I like or do not like this bill can someone please explain the following?
    Title IX: Revenue Provisions – Subtitle A: Revenue Offset Provisions – (Sec. 9001, as modified by section 10901) Amends the Internal Revenue Code to impose an excise tax of 40% of the excess benefit from certain high cost employer-sponsored health coverage. Deems any amount which exceeds payment of $8,500 for an employee self-only coverage plan and $23,000 for employees with other than self-only coverage (family plans) as an excess benefit. Increases such amounts for certain retirees and employees who are engaged in high-risk professions (e.g., law enforcement officers, emergency medical first responders, or longshore workers). Imposes a penalty on employers and coverage providers for failure to calculate the proper amount of an excess benefit.
    Sec. 9002) Requires employers to include in the W-2 form of each employee the aggregate cost of applicable employer ,etc

nwipling 11/29/2010 12:16am

You get to pay an extra tax if you are deemed to have a ‘rich’ benefit plan provided by your employer…unless you are in law enforcement or a high-morbidity risk field.

• umrph95 10/01/2010 9:30am

Last year our federal income tax, alone, was within 3 or 4 thousand dollars of my husband’s entire gross income! We have 4 children and both work full time, plus I have 4 prn positions to keep us afloat. As a health care professional I am livid when I see the amount of my hard-earned $ that our government wastes. When a customer/patient drives up to our drive-thru in a Lincoln Navigator, wearing designer clothes, and talking on a Blackberry then hands me a medicaid card to pay for their medication it is difficult to maintain a professional composure. I resent giving half of my income to these kinds of people. Waste is rampant!!! If our government wants to save $ on healthcare, lets limit access to these programs to only the elderly, TRULY disabled, or critically ill (those with a CRITICAL illness that prevents them from working). I stood on my feet working 10 – 12 hr shifts for the past 2 years with a hemoglobin of 7 (they give transfusions at 5). If I can do it, so can a lot of others

• kir 10/07/2010 4:06am

I was just told that according to a new law if you have health insurance, you can not go to another doctor and pay cash, you must use a doctor that takes your insurance plan. Any idea if this is true and if so is it in this bill or another?

• carlt 10/23/2010 9:29am

test comment

• jacckfrost 11/16/2010 11:07am

I support this bill as it allows for innovation to take place in the industry and it will create jobs. I work in the hightech/Software industry and I can see may ways plenty of companies can get involved in making this happen.

• BenjaWiz 11/21/2010 11:55pm

BAD BILL SEND IT BACK NO NEW TAXES.

magicalpig 12/30/2010 7:54am

huh
    What new tax?

• nwipling 11/29/2010 12:11am

The language of this law was carefully crafted so that one can claim it is only ‘regulation’ of the health insurance industry. But there is a large lack of limitations specifying how far that regulation will be allowed in practice. So yes, the talk of death panels is bunk – there are none, but there is no definitive verbiage in it that would prevent restrictions from reimbursing for treatments that were deemed ineffective. That is why this issue is so highly polarized – its interpretation hinges on whether you have a more apprehensive or altruistic view of government or big business.

• BenjaWiz 12/10/2010 3:42pm

THIS BILL NEEDS TO BE DEFUNDED RIGHT AWAY………

• Spam Comment

• PGJK 02/01/2012 6:22pm

“To amend …certain other Federal employees [I’m fine up until this point, except in cases of those “noshow” FEDs to which division heads be held accountable for support. AND AS FOR “…and for other purposes”. No way!!! ..Just like monies from the lottery that was supposed to go toward education. We should have by now, qualified teachers using topend learning materials in the U.S. system by now, instead Ed. system is laying off & not hiring due to lack of funds. Imagine millions & millions of unallocated monies slated toward educational system being spent elsewhere (I’ll keep my 1 pothole for just 1 more qualified teacher). No wonder foreign countries are killing us in our school syatem, infrastructure seems more important than a child’s education. And forget about funding for continued education where most students are just about forced to pay their own way unless they’ve received some scholarship monies or are a minority.

“…and for other purposes” ..definitely no way!!!