H.R.3962 - Affordable Health Care for America Act

To provide affordable, quality health care for all Americans and reduce the growth in health care spending, and for other purposes. view all titles (10)

• Official: To provide affordable, quality health care for all Americans and reduce the growth in health care spending, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Affordable Health Care for America Act as introduced.
  • Short: Affordable Health Care for America Act as introduced.
  • Short: Indian Health Care Improvement Act Amendments of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Affordable Health Care for America Act as passed house.
  • Short: Indian Health Care Improvement Act Amendments of 2009 as passed house.
  • Official: An act to provide a physician payment update, to provide pension funding relief, and for other purposes. as amended by senate.
  • Short: Preservation of Access to Care for Medicare Beneficiaries and Pension Relief Act of 2010 as passed senate.
  • Short: Preservation of Access to Care for Medicare Beneficiaries and Pension Relief Act of 2010 as passed house.
  • Short: Preservation of Access to Care for Medicare Beneficiaries and Pension Relief Act of 2010 as enacted.

• Lmmspeasley 11/02/2009 12:44pm

The arrogance in Washington is just unbelieveable! There is not one word directed to one of the main causes of Healthcare abuse…hence payback to the trail lawyers for getting this bafoon in office. Does healthcare need fixing, hell yes. Rushing the 1,990 pages of a language no one but the trail lawyers understands, trying to vote on it quickly should be raising some really red flags for all of us. I personally feel like Congress is acting like a shady car salesman and selling us a bunch of garbage desguised in a pretty little red bow…you know, like the stimulus was shoved down our throats…transparency my rear end! Stop lying to the American People. We are your bosses! Slow it down, ask the people who work in the system that aren’t bad lawyers for advice and let’s put forth a piece of legislation that will make sense and not take from our Senior Citizens who worked their entire lives for what the thugs in Washington are trying to steal from them.

• LucasFoxx 11/02/2009 2:26pm

The arrogance in cyberspace is just unbelievable! There is not one word directed to one word of the main Healthcare Bill…hence payback to the trail dogs for getting this buffoon to OpenCongress.org. Does healthcare need fixing, hell yes. Rushing the 1,990 pages of a language no one but English speakers, trail hands, and lawyers understand, trying to vote on it quickly should be raising some really red flags for all of those caught with their ideology down. I personally feel like Congress is acting like representatives of the people, and getting something done for us in a pretty little red bow…you know, like the stimulus was quickly acted on…transparency – finally! Stop lying to the American People. We are their bosses! Don’t slow them down, remember the people who work in the system that have advised you and let’s put this legislation on the books! That will make sense and reward those who worked their entire lives for what the thugs in Washington had been stealing from them.

NotAPundit 11/03/2009 9:26am

That is one of the better trolls in this thread, I must admit…

justamick 11/04/2009 3:20am

agreed. Honestly, this is the first one I’ve seen that’s copied the words of the poster before he/she and just tweeked the words just to mock them.

it’s funny how you rarely see he/she make a valid argument or make an argument that actually make a small bit of sense.

LucasFoxx 11/04/2009 3:22pm

Thanks. That’s amusing on a number of levels.

• WeimMom 11/02/2009 3:15pm

“* The U.S. Post Service was established in 1775 You have had 234 years to get it right and it is broke.

• Social Security was established in 1935. You have had 74 years to get it right and it is broke.
    • Fannie Mae was established in 1938. You have had 71 years to get it right and it is broke.
    • War on Poverty started in 1964. You have had 45 years to get it right; $1 trillion of our money is confiscated each year and transferred to “the poor” and they only want more.
    • Medicare and Medicaid were established in 1965.. You have had 44 years to get it right and they are broke.
    • Freddie Mac was established in 1970. You have had 39 years to get it right and it is broke.

You have FAILED in every “government service” you have shoved down our throats while overspending our tax dollars
    AND YOU WANT AMERICANS TO BELIEVE YOU CAN BE TRUSTED WITH A GOVERNMENT-RUN HEALTH CARE SYSTEM??"

“NO” to H.R.3962

• dnewyear 11/02/2009 3:25pm

I can make my own healthcare decisions. I don’t need the government’s help. Another huge waste of our money.

• brking 11/02/2009 11:13pm

after reading all the post i must say i find some very interesting things said, but much more that wasn’t said.

1) i support abortion in limited cases and yet i find my self agree with those of you who are pro-life this bill should force you pay for other who want an abortion. sadly though this is how taxes work, i don’t support the wars we are engaged in and the innocent lives our solder have killed aka “collateral damage” but my taxes pay for it nothing i can due about that its the nature of taxes.
    2) i support health care reform, but like any bill congress passes it is influenced by special interest groups and mainly for their gain or at the very least their consent is needed for thing that are in public interest. with this in mind i fear no health care bill really be popular among the people but this is it. we get the health care bill they want us to have or we keep the current system. i will chose the lesser of two evils, a choose that politics always gives it’s voters.

• brking 11/02/2009 11:47pm

3) i support this bill because it deal with something i have heard no one talk about and that is adverse selection and genetic discrimination. think about it insurance company don’t want to cover unhealthy people so all they have to due is deny people who are prone to disease based on their genetic information. only health people will be covered if insurance companies got their way. not so fast,right, the genetic info non-discrimination act prevents this right. unfortunately the devil is in the details. →http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-493&version=enr&nid=t0%3Aenr%3A446<— this section makes the definition of what counts as a a genetic test to exclude Phenotype tests. in other words when actually develop the genetic disease they can legally discriminate and deny you.
    it no reform is implemented not only are cost going to go to keep going up, but most of us won’t get basic insurance anyway when we need it. assuming they want to maximize profit.

desolation_anonymous 11/03/2009 2:13pm

That is a point. But, what about the REST of this monstrosity? Wouldn’t they do better just to pass a tiny bill that says that?

I’m all for passing one simple law at a time- not these huge rolled-up mostrosities with lots of bad thrown in the tiny bit of good.

LucasFoxx 11/03/2009 4:37pm

They need to be very specific and verbose so they can avoid as many loopholes as possible. There is nothing that some people like to do more than find loopholes they can exploit to avoid the spirit and responsibility of the law.

desolation_anonymous 11/04/2009 4:01pm

I would disagree that the more verbose and more separate parts thrown in, the more loopholes can be found, even with pages of ‘definitions’ and legislative intent thrown in.

It is also easier to make sure law sticks if it is done one simple bit at a time, like definitions in the California Business and Professions Code.

devlin 11/04/2009 1:22pm

this is something that could be taken care of via a reform of the current laws not a full on government take over.

• RetiredPublicSafetydotCom 11/03/2009 4:52am

Regardless of the content, what I’m not seeing is anyone asking our elected representatives and senators how many of their actual constituents support or oppose this bill? When you contact your official on their website, you have to provide your name, address, phone, email, and ZIP+4 so they know you are in their district (representative) or state (senator). It should be an easy matter to tabulate how many actual citizens are in support of or opposed to this bill and vote accordingly. What good does it do to put it online if our voices are not going to be heard?

I suggest asking them how many actual verifiable voters support or oppose the bill, and to produce credible evidence in support of this.

I’d also suggest challenging your local newspaper or TV station to have them ask this question, and put the official on the record for accountability. If they are not voting the way the identifiable majority wishes, then they should find another job after the next election.

• cerebralscrub44 11/03/2009 11:12am

does anyone here feel compassion towards your fellow citizens? why is it so repugnant to so many Americans to reach out to the poor, the homeless, the sick, the shafted of our country who have always gotten the short end of the stick? why is it so terrible that a woman should have the right to choose whether she feels ready to be a mother? why should the government have the power to deny her that choice? if passing this bill means that one person’s pains are relieved when in our current system they could not be, I support it and I am willing to pay for it.

desolation_anonymous 11/03/2009 2:15pm

I had a lot more compassion towards my fellow citizens before my government tried to redistribute wealth on it’s own.

I’d much rather help my fellow human beings through individuals and charities and food banks and not greedy government officials that take their cut, and give massive bonuses to their special interest group supporters.

More people would support others if they didn’t feel ripped off by the government.

desolation_anonymous 11/03/2009 2:18pm

Also, I don’t see the need for government intervention because i live in a state where several counties have public health care. No-one is denied coverage in the state and county I live in.

I’d like to point out that I have friends that are on the government/county health care plan, and they think it sucks.

The government wants to take us all down to this lowest common denominator- unfortunately no-one will get better health-care, we’ll all get the sucky public option.

Filtered Comment [ show ]

justamick 11/04/2009 3:30am

So my hard earned and well deserved money should go to you?!?

It’s not part of living in a CIVILIZED society, it’s part of living in a communist society. Last I checked, WE LIVE IN A CAPITALIST SOCIETY! Communism specifically revolves around the redistribution of wealth so that everyone has equal amount of money. It isnt fair and it isnt right. I worked hard to get to where I’m at right now, my hard earned money should be mine and I should be able to have the right to give as I see fit, not the Government. If you like the idea of redistrubting wealth, then do it yourself and dont force your ideas on me or the rest of the country.

LucasFoxx 11/04/2009 3:23pm

I don’t need your money, I have my own. I love this country and the people that make it work and bring it to life. I’m just not the tightwad you are.

justamick 11/05/2009 2:37am

You completely missed my point.

I believe that it should be of my own choice as to whether or not to distribute my hard earned money to those who dont have any. The government doesnt have the right to make that choice for me.

If you like your wealth being redistributed, might I suggest you relocate to a European country? As for me? I have six kids to take care of, I’d like to keep the vast majority my money to support them.

justamick 11/05/2009 2:40am

lol, I cant belive I said six kids… I meant to say family of six to take care of.

desolation_anonymous 11/04/2009 4:03pm

Unfortunately, I fear our leaders are quickly trying to turn our country into an economically socialist country. I don’t disagree with you.

devlin 11/04/2009 1:49pm

Where is wealth redistribution in the Constitution? What? I can’t hear you…..

I have seen it in the Communist Manifesto though….

You want more money? Start your own company, get a better education that allows you to get a better job, don’t do drugs that make you lazy and broke, it’s called personal responsablity. I make under the national average but I don’t expect others to pay my bills. When looking for employment I made sure where I was applying to had health benifits. I shouldn’t have to pay because others made other decisions including dropping out of high school then whining because they don’t make crap! My step-son dropped out and after two years trying to get a decent job that paid enough to live on he got his GED on his own…..Personal responsibility….

LucasFoxx 11/04/2009 3:35pm

I don’t need the money. You sound like you are at the national median. You’re family would clearly benefit from this legislation. You should look at it. Good luck to you.

batmomva 11/05/2009 9:42am

My hubby is self-employed, I am in school right now, but we have found out that there is no guarantee as to how well educated or employed you are, you still may not get coverage. We have been without for years and not for lack of trying, we make to much for Federal Aid and the cost to insure our family equals our yearly income, not only that, but the only coverage my hubby can get is Major Medical, there are THOUSANDS of well educated people who have lost their big paying jobs and have to settle for less, and that also means no insurance.

Not everyone without insurance is a drop out or lazy

desolation_anonymous 11/05/2009 3:24pm

Depends on what state you live in. In the state and County we live in, I think there are 6 different options to get ‘public’ health care if you don’t have private insurance.

Some have income limits, but some don’t…

desolation_anonymous 11/04/2009 4:05pm

I dunno… many charities do great good in our country and others without the help of government aid.

I want to help who I want to help, not who the government makes me help.

LucasFoxx 11/05/2009 5:17pm

Agreed, but charity can only do so much when there are so many that don’t participate.

Actually, to an extent, you do tell the government who to help when you are able to deduct your contributions from you taxes. You are, essentially, getting that percentage back and making the government pay it.

suzieqs 11/07/2009 4:46am

My Great-Great Grandfather always said (he was an Irish Immigrant by the way) that the way to solve all of the economic problems was to take everyone’s money and put it into a big pot then distribute it out equally to everyone in the country. That way no one had more than anyone else.

When asked what would you do if some ended up with more than others?

“That’s easy.” he said, “Just put it all back in the pot and do it all over again.”