H.R.3962 - Affordable Health Care for America Act

To provide affordable, quality health care for all Americans and reduce the growth in health care spending, and for other purposes. view all titles (10)

• Official: To provide affordable, quality health care for all Americans and reduce the growth in health care spending, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Affordable Health Care for America Act as introduced.
  • Short: Affordable Health Care for America Act as introduced.
  • Short: Indian Health Care Improvement Act Amendments of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Affordable Health Care for America Act as passed house.
  • Short: Indian Health Care Improvement Act Amendments of 2009 as passed house.
  • Official: An act to provide a physician payment update, to provide pension funding relief, and for other purposes. as amended by senate.
  • Short: Preservation of Access to Care for Medicare Beneficiaries and Pension Relief Act of 2010 as passed senate.
  • Short: Preservation of Access to Care for Medicare Beneficiaries and Pension Relief Act of 2010 as passed house.
  • Short: Preservation of Access to Care for Medicare Beneficiaries and Pension Relief Act of 2010 as enacted.

• VincentGaines 11/09/2009 10:06am

so who’s actually read the bill?

or are the opinions just based on Fox News demagoguery?

bkrueg 11/09/2009 11:43am

Here we go again with another liberal, vincentgaines, attacking the messenger and not the message.

nmeagent 11/10/2009 1:38pm

It doesn’t matter if they’ve read the entire bill or not, only that they’ve read enough to identify the subject and scope of the legislation.

I haven’t read the entire bill, though I have read the entire United States Consitution. That pesky document enumerates the powers of the federal government to the exclusion of everything else (see the 9th and 10th ammendments). The Congress is not legally allowed to legislate in matters that are not specifically enumerated in this document. It doesn’t matter how popular the bill is, how much wisdom is contained within its pages, how well it would work, etc. It is not permitted. Is this anti-democratic? Yes, for good reason; it has in the past protected our rights from the tyranny of the majority. Don’t like it? Fine then, amend the Constitution.

Congress is ignoring this fact, however, and with it their oaths to protect and defend the Constitution, etc. Many of you out there are letting them get away with it.

• tkrawforemich 11/09/2009 10:59am

I argue that the existing rules need to be changed allowing Congress to add the short and long term fiscal instrument of a General State and Federal Health and Human Services Municipal Fund based Public Derivative and subsequent common pool.

1) At a 3-8% adjustable rate of Municipal Fund Outlay, placed into a state pool, with Congressional and SEC oversight, this instrument will supplement Section 307: Health Insurance Exchange Fund in terms of specific short term offset.

2) Regional voluntary basis insures overall intended economic offset which Sections 308, 309 and 310 (insurance exchanges, interstate compacts and regional cooperatives respectively) as Affordable Health Care Infrastructure Sub-Initiatives were originally designed to facilitate.

3) Participating State Treasuries, continually re-invest the underlying of 3-8% original Municipal Fund backed outlay into the original pool

These “spiral” steps will insure Subtitle B’s success.

A Thought from,
    Tom
    Ann Arbor

• STOPTHISRECLESSSPENDING 11/09/2009 11:06am

Spending all this money does not solve the problem. The problem is with our laws. Below are a few examples: Many states have laws that prevent hospitals from denying treatment. I’m not talking about denying true emergency care. I’m talking about routine doctor vists. Low wage and foreigners have no need for insurance at any price, they just walk into an ER and get what they need for free. Pregnant visitors, use this trick while visiting the US for free care and US citizenship. Laws should be in place to prevent automatic citizenship to the children of foreigners that don’t have legal residency. Another example, a law that allowed hospitals to hold the birth certifcate until the bill is paid, could reduce this. If you want to stop illegals, a law to prosecute the landlord or person harboring these people would put an end to that problem. I could go on and on…

nomadwolf 11/09/2009 10:59pm

“Laws should be in place to prevent automatic citizenship to the children of foreigners that don’t have legal residency”

Well, that’d require a constitutional amendment, so have fun with that.

However, this bill aims to give coverage to low wage earners so they can go to a normal doctor instead of the much much more expensive ER.

If the hospital holds the birth certificate for someone that can’t pay, then what happens to the child?

• cwhunbun 11/09/2009 12:48pm

If this bill passes it will be because the will of the people have not been served and all you dems are voting the party line and not your conscience …. wake up and vote your heart! Ask your self is this being passed because it is what the party wants or is is because this is what is good for ALLLLLLL AMERICANS. I am one of those without healthcare and I can tell you this bill will not be in my best interest. I am an educated American that wants to have affordable health care not Government run health care (Health Insurance)you act like we are stupid!!!!!!!!

nomadwolf 11/09/2009 11:01pm

Really? voting the party line? The only party that’s unanimous is the Republicans. And I can’t believe that that is what all (except Joseph Cao) believe in their conscience. Tell THEM not to just toe the party line.

bhumphreys52 11/11/2009 6:24am

No one is calling you stupid, but you do cost me money. The uninsured who feel they don’t need coverage are taking a risk that affects all of us who pay for coverage. If you get sick and don’t have coverage I pay a higher cost for my coverage. My coverage cost has increased at least 15% each year and what is covered has been reduced. I would prefer government run health care because then we can debate and oversee the system. Frankly it is a joke how the US health care system currently works. We have the best facilities in the world, but do not have the best health care, why? Government run facilities such as local clinics run more efficient and cost less than a lot of privately owned facilities. Medicare in some cases is 17% less to administer than private insurance. We are ALLLLLL in this struggle to create a better America. I just wish the Republicans and Democrats would work together to find the best solution instead of grandstanding for the next election.

• PE_Zelda 11/09/2009 5:30pm

This petition respectfully requests that President Obama keep true to his word and veto HR 3962 should it cross his desk. The president stated that he “will not sign a bill that raises the deficit”. HR 3962 does, in fact, raise the deficit2. Signing this petition indicates strong opposition to HR 3962. Demand that the president keep his word. Sign here:

Help get 5,000,000 signatures! Pass it on.

• brianmessinaart 11/09/2009 7:07pm

Paranoia is in bloom here…

• kbenskin 11/10/2009 5:49am

80% oppose this bill so why did the bill pass? Government is suppose to be for the people. Passing a bill against the people’s interest is not representing the will of the people.

How can we stop this bill?

• ConstitutionMom 11/10/2009 7:04am

I am wanting to print the entire bill, but see no print option. printing from browser prints lots of stuff i don’t want.. Any ideas?

• CuriousKiss 11/10/2009 9:14am

The car insurance remarks are insulting to our intellegence. NOT THE SAME THING! Also, Jail time as a consequence for not buying the insurance is absolutely ABSURD! Did anyone else hear OBAMA side-step that question on consequenses for not buying OBAMA-CARE?

bkrueg 11/10/2009 12:53pm

From Sunlen Miller:

During an exclusive interview with ABC News’ Jake Tapper today, President Obama said that penalties are appropriate for people who try to “free ride” the health care system but stopped short of endorsing the threat of jail time for those who refuse to pay a fine for not having insurance.

“What I think is appropriate is that in the same way that everybody has to get auto insurance and if you don’t, you’re subject to some penalty, that in this situation, if you have the ability to buy insurance, it’s affordable and you choose not to do so, forcing you and me and everybody else to subsidize you, you know, there’s a thousand dollar hidden tax that families all across America are — are burdened by because of the fact that people don’t have health insurance, you know, there’s nothing wrong with a penalty.”

JUST-SAY -NO TO OBAMA CARE OR GO TO (POLITICAL PRISON) JAIL UP TO 5 YEARS

bkrueg 11/10/2009 1:01pm

The president said, “I think the general broad principle is simply that people who are paying for their health insurance aren’t subsidizing folks who simply choose not to until they get sick and then suddenly they expect free health insurance. That’s — that’s basic concept of responsibility that I think most Americans abide by,” Mr. Obama said, “penalties are appropriate for people who try to free ride the system and force others to pay for their health insurance.”

The President said that he didn’t think the question over the appropriateness of possible jail time is the “biggest question” the House and Senate are facing right now.

OBAMA DIDN’T THINK JAIL TIME IS WHAT? JUST-SAY-NO TO OBAMA CARE BECAUSE HE DOES NOT CARE.

bhumphreys52 11/11/2009 7:52am

Jail time? What a joke, if you want to make these kind of leaps in logic please continue writing fiction, but don’t represent it as fact.

We get it! You just want Obama to fail because you just don’t care

bkrueg 11/11/2009 7:57am

The President said the punishment was appropriate when asked about jail time in HR-3962. Stop lying to the American people. JUST-SAY-NO TO OBAMA HEALTH CARE.

bhumphreys52 11/11/2009 9:29am

The President is not lying to the American People. You are using your interpretations of the circumstance to justify your rhetoric. What I see is people trying to find a way to improve our lives and up our standard of living in both the Republican and the Democratic parties and then there are those who criticize and contribute nothing of substance to the debate. Running after red herrings using inflammatory statements to tear down and create chaos is not debating the issue. I will not just say no to Obama health care, because it is not Obama’s health care it is the American people’s health care, my health care that the President is trying to improve. I applaud his efforts and support the process. The President is right; the system is broken and needs to be fixed.

bkrueg 11/11/2009 10:11am

America does not like this President.
    The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 45% now favor the health care plan proposed by President Obama and congressional Democrats. Most (52%) remain opposed.
    Only 25% Strongly Support the plan while 42% are Strongly Opposed.
    The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows that 30% of the nation’s voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President. Forty percent (40%) Strongly Disapprove giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -10 (see trends). Republicans have opened a six-point lead on the Generic Congressional Ballot.
    Overall, 46% of voters say they at least somewhat approve of the President’s performance. Fifty-three percent (53%) disapprove.
    JUST-SAY-NO TO OBAMA CARE.

bhumphreys52 11/11/2009 1:21pm

It is nice to see that you and the polls tell me that America does not like this President. What people do and don’t like changes daily which is what the report you reference shows. When should it matter who likes the President? My thought is at election time. Our President is someone who is trying to get something done and he is working to make needed changes. Change is hard and most people have a difficult time with change.
    Many people are in need of health care and can’t access the system because of the high cost of insurance. I have seen faces on jars in the local 7elevens trying to raise money for needed operations and I see the mentally ill homeless in our streets. I get angered at the politician who only wants the next poll to tell him or her that the opponent is on the ropes. I want someone who gives a damm and tries to accomplish honorable goals. I see this in our President.

bkrueg 11/11/2009 1:35pm

President Obama has not accomplished anything in his life except hand out the kool aid, out tax dollars and win elections.

bhumphreys52 11/11/2009 1:56pm

It look like he got you pissed off, that is something

LucasFoxx 11/11/2009 10:29am

You’re not going to get anywhere with these people by telling them the truth. It is far easier for them to make up or copy/paste deceits that support their paranoid perceptions; perceptions that seem to have some basis in aristocratic snobbery and xenophobia. Odd considering this site is a project of the Sunlight Foundation. Which makes me think that some of them are paid to be here and not actually here to contribute to an informed discussion. Very few comments here have anything to do with the actual legislation. Most of these people haven’t read one word from these bills. I’ve stopped wasting time on snipe hunts. I salute your effort. These next few years are going to be very difficult for people like you that live in reality.

bkrueg 11/11/2009 10:41am

There you go again, attacking the messanger. JUST-SAY-NO TO OBAMA CARE.

LucasFoxx 11/11/2009 11:55am

I’m still not attacking the messenger. I’m mocking his gullibility. But, I was correctly admonished for that. So, I’ll stop. Again.

bkrueg 11/11/2009 10:37am

WHAT PART OF “PENALTIES ARE APPROPRIATE” DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?
    When I am forced me to pay for other Americans health care with HR-3962 and then President Obama said, ““penalties are appropriate for people who try to free ride the system and force others to pay for their health insurance.” That to me is a hypocritical liar. What say you?

bhumphreys52 11/11/2009 12:23pm

I see it is easy for people to complain about paying their fair share of the health costs. President Obama said penalties are appropriate which, is not a lie. In order for the system to work everyone must pay for some type of insurance, if they don’t the rest of us are penalized how is that fair? If you have Health Insurance then you are currently forced to pay for other American’s health care, but as long as we don’t tell you that then I guess ignorance is bliss? Health care is costing Americans trillions of dollars and if you are not insured then get sick I help pay for your care. In other words you are stealing from my family when you “free ride the system”. What part of that do you not understand?

bkrueg 11/11/2009 1:32pm

I cant understand how liberals can steal my hard earned dollars and give to abortionist, illegal’s, people who don’t want any health insurance by choice, force me to purchase crap I don’t want or believe in and then call it freedom.

bhumphreys52 11/11/2009 1:54pm

Maybe you could purchase health insurance that you can believe in or don’t you believe in the free market? Yes please use those words that anger “abortionists and illegals” because they help promote understanding and tolerance. In case you are confused I am mocking you. Yes I am liberal in some issues and conservative in others, but most humans have many different aspects to their personality. Those wicked liberals are going to steal you blind, but at least you can get health care to help you see again. And of course it is “All about you”