H.R.413 - Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act of 2009

To provide collective bargaining rights for public safety officers employed by States or their political subdivisions. view all titles (3)

• Official: To provide collective bargaining rights for public safety officers employed by States or their political subdivisions. as introduced.
  • Short: Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act of 2009 as introduced.

urmedic 09/29/2010 7:27pm
in reply to Splube Jun 15, 2009 10:34pm

those of us in the south west need it to pass also

urmedic 09/29/2010 7:27pm
in reply to Anonymous Feb 25, 2009 3:35pm

why dont you look up H.R. 4899, this should assist with the unfunded mandate. and then come back and re comment. The rest of your statement i agree with. Great way to put it in your last paragraph.

Splube 08/04/2010 5:09am

Duh, Tulip. How else are we going to get anything done?

Tulip 05/28/2010 3:42pm

Doesn’t anyone realize this bill is about unionizing the Police and Firefighters!!!

Forsyth 04/28/2010 3:35pm

The problem in the South is that employee’s dont have a voice in what takes place on their job. Its so easy for people to say " If you dont like it leave ". That may work well for a short order cook but not in public safety. How is it a person can work on the job for 15 to 20 years and be replaced for no reason when a new Sheriff is elected. The Sheriff decides to hire a relative with a criminal record and replaces veteran officers. An officer is forced to leave because he arrested the mayors son for DUI. I can go on and on with stories like these that take place in departments in our southern states. Did you know we have departments in Georgia and Alabama that pay their officers $8.00 and $9.00 dollars an hour with no pensions. Who speaks for them ? We dont want a mob boss nor are we demanding the world. We want the opportunity to sit down with our employers and fix whats wrong. We want a voice !!!

slavetobiggovt 02/27/2010 4:21am

We as public service professionals work every day for the public and it amazes me how much the citizen up north support their public service employees and we on the south do everything we can to crap on them. I am a republican, and I believe this bill supports the republican view more than it does the democratic view. Dems usually support unions, but the whole view of a republican is less government, well this bill does that. It equals the power out, so that the employees have a say not just some yahoo Town Manager that wants to save a dollar and is already retire making over $80,000 with his retirement check and makes 100000 as the TM and now wants to cut everybodies salary.

I want to be able to come to work and not have to worry about if I arrested the wrong person the town will get rid of me. Do not say it does not happen, because you need to work in a right to work state first before you pass judgment.

guappo1 11/03/2009 10:58am

I support the bill as a way for those who protect us, to have away of being protected themselves. This has nothing to do with money, which is limited by budgets and tax revenue. It is job protection. If these men an women are an “at will employees” or employees with out redress which many are, they have no one protecting them from supervisors who want them out. If they need to be removed from the job there are fair ways for complaints to be heard and a defense made. The idea that they will be forced to join a “union” is a valid as death panels. If you need a cop or fireman you do not hesitate to call. They coming running like those killed in 9/11. So respect them for their service, and support them to get this right that most have, nothing more nothing less

Splube 10/08/2009 8:48am

“I am a public safety worker and I do NOT support this bill.” Then get a new job. If you won’t stand with us you are against us. We do not want or need your kind.

1st_2_U 10/07/2009 10:20am

I am a public safety worker and I do NOT support this bill. The main reason is that it will help destroy the volunteer fire & rescue system that protects the vast majority or our country. The International Association of Fire Fighters, the major union for career fire and rescue, has in its constitution a clause that prevents IAFF members from volunteering in their off time as firefighters. Memebers do but face fines, The IAFF has bargined “No-Volunteering” clauses into contracts with muncipalities so that now volunteering could cost people their jobs if they want to help their neighbors and communites where they reside. Alot of localities cannot afford the cost of all career firefighters without a huge raise in taxes which its residents cant afford either. These same localities’ whose fire departments rely on membership of career firefighters that live in the area but work somewhere else, or maybe in the same area, to provide the manpower for emergency calls and fundraising.

Deadhead 06/21/2009 3:34pm
in reply to Whackamole Jun 17, 2009 10:31am

Well good send me some money so I can take a vacation, I love my job but hate to be disrespected. You may like to be disrespected but I was raise to stand up for what is right,you dad if you had one did not raise you that way. I’ve been dealing with people like you for 20 year now. This bill will pass within the next few weeks and they you can go cry in a corner. The Republican party is a party of the past and will never regain traction… Have a great day…. Furthermore I would not want to deal with an asshole like you , day or night so don’t worry about ever seeing me. As far a burnout, yes it happens but has not happened to me yet, I have not came across enough people like you yet.Unions are not a government scam, they are what built this country…..so take your GOVERNMENT SCAM somewhere else. I think it is time for yoy to wake up and see the changes that the American people voted for in Nov 2008. Have a great day.

Whackamole 06/17/2009 10:31am

Deadhead … it certainly sounds as though you have some issues that need addressing. Some time off, perhaps, a rest? You certainly do not sound like the sort of professional I want showing up at my door [or anyone else’s] at any time of the day or night. Job burnout? Or just plain miserable sot? Ask Congress to track all the registered 501c3 and other Associations who are collecting funds from all the rest of us to find out where all the missing collected money is. I am telling you this is a GOVERNMENT SCAM. The Feds pressure the State, the State the counties. When the State screws the counties the first thing they always threaten is to cut Police Fire and Education. It is how they manipulate everyone, everywhere.

Whackamole 06/17/2009 10:00am

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/pennsylvania-narcotics-officers-association-c6423.html <—- look at the complaints against this one I referenced above – The Pennsylvania Narcotics Officers Association

Whackamole 06/17/2009 9:59am

Allot of money is donated to ALL of you, ALL across this country and it is collected by SHAM/SHILL Corporations. Perhaps you would do well to investigate who the perps are and where all the money is really going.

→http://web.dos.state.pa.us/cgi-bin/Charities/creport.cgi <- this is just one example. This company collected $571,595.00 and kept 92% of it for themselves rather than give it to you. There are too many others like it to count who are doing this very same thing to the American people and getting away with it and they are doing it using YOUR Names.

It is not time to give in to Unions it is time to ask WHERE IS OUR MONEY – thank you very much. Investigate!

Whackamole 06/17/2009 9:34am

… And yes, I come from a large NJ family who has many members who have served lifelong as volunteers and paid officers. Police Chief, Capt, Detective, Fire Department and First Aid. Union is as Union does … look at what happened to America’s Car industry and the Union, the Auto Czar and every other Czar Obama has placed. We are being stripped of all our Rights. We all lay our lives on the line – it is our choice! No one elses. Protect our country from the tyrant who cosponsored this and every other affront to American Citizens and our Constitution. Shame on you all! You really need to be looking at the bigger picture and whats going on in the country all around you. You all took an oath – How many of you are Oathkeepers?

Whackamole 06/17/2009 9:25am

“In a statement, National Right to Work Committee president Mark Mix pointed out that Obama cosponsored the Police & Fire Monopoly Bargaining Bill, a bill that would override state and local laws in 27 states and could result in forcing every police officer and firefighter in the country under union boss control.”

“If Big Labor succeeds in passing the Police and Firefighter Monopoly Bargaining Bill, stories like what’s going in Providence are going to be repeated all over the country. It’s going to result in outrageous union boss demands, higher taxes, and more and more cities going bankrupt,” said Mark Mix, President of the National Right to Work Committee.

“If mayors don’t want this to happen to their cities, they better start contacting their U.S. Senators right away. The Obama administration is more than willing to ram it down their throats for the benefit of nobody but Big Labor.

The only people Obama cares about are the union bosses."

Splube 06/15/2009 10:34pm

Those of us in the southeast really need this to pass.

Anonymous 02/25/2009 3:35pm

What?!?!

“It is never in the best interest of the public safety officer or the taxpayer paying their salaries for the federal government to put an unfunded federal mandate on municipalities.”

“This bill would be a travesty to each city across America that wishes to keep the union cronies out of their cities and determine their own destiny.”

Are you serious?! Did you even read the bill? This will give us the right to bargain with our employers. Its not setting the pay scale for us. Its giving us the right to sit down at a table with our employers and bargain for better work conditions, pay, safety precautions, etc. Its not all about the pay. Its coming to work and having to wear a SCBA thats 10+ years old into a house thats on fire to save a complete stranger! Maybe YOU!! There are too many citizens in this country that dont believe the FD or PD need new top of the line equipment until its you trapped in YOUR car bleeding to death or its YOU overcome by smoke in your bed, and its US that come get you, or keep the pedofiles off the street to keep YOUR kids safe. Were not appreciated until YOU need us! God bless every Brother and Sister out there!!

Anonymous 02/15/2009 11:31am

This bill needs to pass and from what I understand it has bi partisan support in the house and senate. Those of you opposed to it try winning an electionand maybe your represntatives will do things different. For now its gonna happen. Get over it

Deadhead 02/10/2009 12:38pm

Ok, if you want me to send you a copy of my pay check to prove my point I will, not a problem. No one is asking for a million dollars, just enough to live on. Notice I said bring home…. I bring home $1100.00 every two weeks that is….. I’m sorry $28,600.00 per year, I misquoted on the $30,000.00.

I could care less how much hardship this will cause my community, my family is in hardship, screw the rich folks art district that they, the city, just dumped $200,000,000.00 into.. ( yes, 200 million)If they can not pay police and firemen then they need to cut back on something else. Why should the police and fire be the only ones having to pay extra… If you are not paying them a fair market wage then you may as well ne stealing from them. That is not very nice to do to people who put their lives on the line for you.

This bill will become law and all you snobby rich want to act like you better than ereryone else can kiss my white BOOTY. You can sit in the corner and cry…..“Boo hoo boo hoo the unions are taking over, these people want a livable wage and to be treated fairly, how dare they ask for that, they are the poor working class famlies, they are supposed to bow to the rich, they are not supposed to ask for anything”. “I don’t want my taxes going up to the police and firemen, if they don’t like it just uproot their entire family and move. Who cares if they have been lied to as long as we don’t have to pay them”. " They are just firemen and police they do not have to send their kids to college, buy a home, take a vacation. have a Christmas or save for retirement, they are peasants,always have been, always will be, piss on them" This my friend is the attitude in the rich white South.

It is time to get rid of any right-to-go-broke-state. A right to work state is one step away from slavery…..oh wait, that is what they like in the south….is’nt it…

Anonymous 02/10/2009 4:04am

Deadhead says:

" For instance a 25 year officer in Chattanooga TN. brings home less than $30,000.00 per year"

Hmmm, looking at the City of Chattanooga website this morning I see that the STARTING pay of a police officer is:

Starting annual salary is $34,118 and increases to $35,913 after completion of field training and one year probationary period.

People are worth whatever they are willing to work for. While we would all like to make a million dollars a year that just ain’t gonna happen.

Singling out public safety employees for special treatment is something that already is causing many municipalities hardships. Passage of this bill will only place additional financial burdens on all the citizens of every municipality.

Anonymous 02/07/2009 3:24pm

Public safety should be determined in each city, by the taxpayers of each municipality. Pay and benefits should be commisserate with market pay, or noone would apply for those positions. It is never in the best interest of the public safety officer or the taxpayer paying their salaries for the federal government to put an unfunded federal mandate on municipalities. It is unconstitutional. This bill would be a travesty to each city across America that wishes to keep the union cronies out of their cities and determine their own destiny. Taxes would surely rise in each city and most of the money will go to the union lawyers – NOT the safety officers.

Anonymous 02/07/2009 1:39pm

I can only hope and pray that this bill will pass. I am a career firefighter in South Carolina. Its not only the pay, its the work conditions, the years of being walked on by the higher ups. I love my job and can think of nothing else Id rather do. Yes, the pay sucks, but the job in a whole is very rewarding. We brothers and sisters do a job that most in the public can not handle. Our relationships and our families are torn apart by us working long hours in high stress situations. If you do not support this bill, ask your self this question. When your house in on fire and your loved one is in danger of falling to that horrible fate who do you call? Who do you put your lives in the hands of when you have been involved in a horrible car accident, when youre dying, who? If your son or daughter was dying in your arms, who shows up at your door all hours of the night to do the best they can to save a complete stranger? Firefighters and Paramedics thats who! We need your support in this crappy economy. Keep the ones happy that can keep you alive!

Deadhead 01/28/2009 4:26pm

I am so glad this bill will pass. Police officers and firefighters put their lives on the line each and every day for this country and should be paid a livable wage. For instance a 25 year officer in Chattanooga TN. brings home less than $30,000.00 per year. I do not believe after 25 years of service to his or her community they should have to live on under $30,000.00 per year. I hope this bill is passed and set into law within the first 100 days of the Demoratic congress. I know Bob Corker voted against this bill in 08 but things have changed. Of course while Corker was Mayor of Chattanooga he gave himself a 30% pay raise and gave the police and firemen NOTHING. Our time has come and I do see the light ahead.