H.R.4183 - Helping Unemployed Workers Act

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of programs providing unemployment benefits, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of programs providing unemployment benefits, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Helping Unemployed Workers Act as introduced.

NYER566 03/13/2010 12:23pm

Sign this petition it needs 100 signatures for tier V it will be sent to congress! The website is http://www.change.org/actions

dartcanyon 03/12/2010 10:49am
in reply to Cindermaid Mar 10, 2010 4:58am

Yup and I passed the Census job exam with flying colors but did not get a job out of it and I’m a college graduate. I am not sending any census papers back. They know where I am and that I am out of work. That’s all they need to know. What can they do?? Put me in jail?? Yeah…then I would have free rent, no bills, food, medical at no expense. Sounds OK with me.

dartcanyon 03/12/2010 10:46am
in reply to dartcanyon Mar 12, 2010 10:46am
I don’t see any of the crooks in Washington being denied paychecks, benefits or anything else even when they get caught and that seems to be a pretty regulat thing with the fat daddies. They are playing with out lives, giving money to foreign countries, foreigners in this country and approving piddly bills that are really stupid and unnecessary. Take the money from NASA and take care of Real Americans out of work. We don’t need to be in space and have no business there. Keep that money and the exorbitant paychecks to play in space right here on terra firma and we’ll all benefit.
dartcanyon 03/12/2010 10:46am
in reply to Cindermaid Mar 10, 2010 4:58am

CNN/HLN just had a piece on about people who are cheating on unemployment and that Sen. Byh, I think, opposes the passage of what the Senate just approved. There are cheaters in every system including the very people who run this country from Washington. Until each and every one of them is honest, straightforward and does NOTHING wrong then I don’t want to hear a damn word about anyone else. The vast majority of the unemployed are honest people who look for work regularly and can prove that.

Cindermaid 03/10/2010 4:58am
in reply to dartcanyon Mar 04, 2010 12:27pm

Ya! I am thinking about taking my Social Security at 62 instead of 66 will lose money but will have some kind of money coming in. What happens if (baby boomers all do this that are unemployed) may cause the Social Security to run out faster than expected due to not passing extensions while we are looking for full time work. Right now if we are able to find work we would still be adding money to the SS pension. HUM !!!! Somebody isn’t thinking about the long term effect and people with families would get on State Aid which and Federal Food Stamp programs. HMM!!! More money spent!!!!! Heck someone told me about the money that was just spent on letters sent out to people to let them now the Census would be starting for 2010 what did it cost to send out all the letters to people to let them know that it is going to take place? HMM!!!!

dartcanyon 03/04/2010 12:27pm
in reply to dartcanyon Mar 04, 2010 12:14pm

It is great to discuss the extensions but little is said about the Tiers that need to be added. Without that information people are very confused and think that the “extensions” represent added tiers. Those who are on their last Fed-Ed extension of 6 weeks will NOT be eligible for anything unless the Senate passes a bill ADDING more tiers to qualify people for extended benefits. What was passed yesterday only guarantees people who have more tiers available will get them. Those of us who have or are about to end all Fed-Ed Tiers will get nothing more. Millions of us will literally be out in the cold. Add Tiers to last throughout 2010 and then we will not have to keep going thru these misunderstandings and frustrations created by Washington and the media. It needs to be explained exactly as it is happening and who is and is NOT affected by each action.

dartcanyon 03/04/2010 12:14pm
in reply to dartcanyon Feb 06, 2010 7:33am

However, a separate extension of benefits may be available for those who exhaust their regular UI claim after March 27, 2010. California currently meets the threshold for a separate extension of benefits known as FED-ED. If California continues to meet the unemployment rate required to file FED-ED extensions after March 27, 2010, additional benefits are potentially available for eligible claimants once they run out of their original maximum of 26 weeks of benefits and remain unemployed. Learn more about the FED-ED extension program.

dartcanyon 03/04/2010 12:14pm
in reply to dartcanyon Feb 10, 2010 10:59am

For Those Already on a Federal Extension
The new deadline pushes back the filing deadline for a second, third, or fourth federal extension to April 4, 2010. Anyone just completing one level of the extensions and needs to continue on to another level will be able to do so by this deadline. Those who exhaust any level of extension after Saturday, April 3, 2010, will not be eligible for any further levels of extensions unless Congress once again revises the filing deadlines.

dartcanyon 03/04/2010 12:14pm
in reply to dartcanyon Feb 10, 2010 10:59am

If someone may not be eligible for any further extension after April 4, 2010, it is possible the individual could become eligible for the separate FED-ED extension. Learn more about the FED-ED extension program.
If the individual has already collected on a FED-ED extension based on his or her most recent regular claim, he or she is not eligible to file for another FED-ED extension. Therefore, the federal extension collected on or after April 4, 2010, will be the last one available unless Congress again decides to extend the current filing deadlines on federal extensions.
For Those Currently on a FED-ED Extension
If Congress does not take action to extend the current version of the FED-ED extension law, and California continues to meet the threshold for FED-ED benefits, a FED-ED extension may be reduced to a maximum of up to 13 weeks of benefits beginning Sunday, April 11, 2010. If this happens and a claimant is affected by this change, he or she will be notified by mail.

dartcanyon 03/04/2010 12:12pm
in reply to dartcanyon Feb 06, 2010 7:33am

For the More Recently Unemployed
The new legislation makes Sunday, March 28, 2010, the new deadline for filing a first federal extension of benefits, once a regular UI claim runs out. So once someone runs out of their state UI benefits (up to 26 weeks) they may then become eligible for up to 20 additional weeks of benefits in the first federal extension. Collecting any further extension benefits after that, if they remain unemployed and otherwise eligible, all depends on if Congress will once again push back the extension filing deadlines beyond Sunday, April 4, 2010.

dartcanyon 02/10/2010 10:59am
in reply to dartcanyon Feb 06, 2010 7:33am

Democratic leaders had originally hoped to pass the bill this week, before record snowfalls effectively shut down Congress and much of the rest of the federal government in the nation’s capital. Final action now may not come until March.

This was on Senatus today. March will be too late folks. Another political stalling tactic.

dartcanyon 02/06/2010 7:33am
in reply to jecapers Jan 05, 2010 9:26am

4183 at this point.

dartcanyon 02/06/2010 7:33am
in reply to dartcanyon Feb 06, 2010 7:32am

If things are getting better Washington then send everyone who is unemployed a notice of a job you have waiting for us because that is not happening in CA for sure. I am constantly on line and the phone sending applications/resumes and all I get back is that they are not hiring at this time but yet they have ads in the papers and online. Explain that one! 2010 is NOT going to be any better in the job market and after paying taxes into this country’s systems for most of our lives we deserve to not be trodden on by any public officials in the name of politics. It’s survival folks and basic at that.

dartcanyon 02/06/2010 7:32am
in reply to dartcanyon Feb 06, 2010 7:31am

If anything it has increased so Wall Street and the government need to give us more credit than they do now. Numbers don’t mean a thing and can be manipulated easily to look favorable about anything. Actuality and facts are what we are about so they can stop their false reports that only help Wall Street and big business daddies and stick with the truth and the facts that we all can see every single day. This is also a political ploy to try and stop any further bills passing in order to extend benefits to millions who ARE and CONTINUE to look for jobs and have, as of yet, not been hired.

dartcanyon 02/06/2010 7:31am
in reply to NYER566 Jan 13, 2010 8:04am

You need to read carefully too..6 week authorized extension takes us until the end of March.

Sara Murray of Wall Street Journal has an article in our paper this morning about the unemployment rate drop for this week. This is nothing more than a political ploy to make it look like the economy is getting better. Unemployed workers are not dumb or stupid and can see right thru these tactics. While jobs are still being lost by the thousands it is impossible for the rate to decrease.

NYER566 02/02/2010 7:26am

PEOPLE WAKE UP BENEFITS WILL NOT BE EXTENDED BEYOND FEB 19TH, 2010 IF SENATE DOESNT DO SOMETHING, CALL YOUR SENATORS NOW NOW NOW! OR BE LEFT OUT IN THE COLD….READ THIS FROM UNEMPLOYEDWORKERS.COM http://www.nelp.org/sites/unemployedworkers/index.php/benefits

Anjou99999 01/15/2010 2:46pm
in reply to djsgarrett Dec 20, 2009 2:57am

I concur!

NYER566 01/13/2010 8:04am

If you look on unemployed workers.org website they say now is the time to start to call your senators about another extension and its important to tell them an extension for the long term unemployed also

jcase30045 01/10/2010 6:16am
in reply to jcase30045 Jan 10, 2010 6:14am

Oh yeah thats right people I have to live at an extended stay hotel, because who has the money to pay deposits to get into an apartment or anything? I have to pay $125.00 a week, but the way I figure it is that at least I have a roof over my head, and a place to lay my head at night.

jcase30045 01/10/2010 6:14am
in reply to jcase30045 Jan 10, 2010 6:14am

Who would want to have a kid in this world the way it is right now? Not me. They need to get off their high horses and help out the little people. We need help badly. Do they realize how many people are in homeless shelters because they’ve lost their houses? I have a thrift store right down from the hotel that i stay at, and they offer a homeless shelter, they are filled to the max. Things have got to change. I never realized that I would get penalized because I dont have a kid. Maybe I should pop out three or four they would give me everything under the sun.

jcase30045 01/10/2010 6:14am
in reply to Doingtherightthing Dec 19, 2009 3:38pm

Thats the whole problem with this country. The rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer. We cant even make enough to make ends meet anymore, while they sit up there making hundreds of thousands of dollars, living in their mansions, driving their expensive cars, eating their expensive food, taking all the money they have for granted, when people like us who have gotten laid off from our jobs, struggle on a daily basis to even eat. When I got laid off, I decided to go back to school to maybe better myself so I could get a better job, well I went to DFCS to apply for food stamps to help get me through, they told me I didnt qualify because I dont have a kid under the age of six in my home. What the heck is that about?

NYER566 01/09/2010 3:58pm

That is what i wanna know, what bill number are we supposed to look for now, if and when senate picks up another extension.

jecapers 01/05/2010 9:26am

Does anyone know how this bill will be resurrected? End of Feb will come fast.

jecapers 01/05/2010 9:25am
in reply to Doingtherightthing Dec 26, 2009 6:23pm

I thought that EB was funded in full by the Federal Govt, so how could it lapse.

staylor24 01/05/2010 6:29am
in reply to djsgarrett Dec 28, 2009 8:14am

Georgia is showing the February dates on their website.

djsgarrett 12/28/2009 8:14am

Also, when will these department of labor websites start reflecting the new dates? Georgia still shows December 26.

djsgarrett 12/28/2009 8:13am

What is the name of the actual bill that the new EUC dates are in? I know it started as HR 4183 but then got moved to the defense bill.

deewtaei 12/28/2009 4:31am
in reply to Doingtherightthing Dec 28, 2009 3:45am

For clarification:

Regular = 26 weeks state
EUC08 = 33 weeks federal

Is this right?

Doingtherightthing 12/28/2009 3:45am
in reply to Doingtherightthing Dec 28, 2009 3:39am

EB is precluded by any EUC08 benefit eligibility. In other words, EB cannot be paid until you exhaust all regular and EUC08 benefits.

Doingtherightthing 12/28/2009 3:39am
in reply to deewtaei Dec 27, 2009 4:17am

Indiana triggerd off , I am also confused if the EB program is over , or if it was re activated by congress passing the extension dates. All four extensions would be tier 1 tier 2 tier 3 and 4th tier EB would be a 5th tier so to speak and not included ,they posted that Indiana trigerd off and went back to the old way of figuring the unemployment rate so it was only 3.5% and needed to be 5% to stay on ,but its off now ,from what I see , its a bunch of hog wash ,Indiana loves to rip off its people. Here is the link from there site dated Dec,8 th . I see nothing about EB being back on ,it just says we wont be able to collect our EB benefits that we had left ,and again Indiana sticking it to there people. http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?id=39076