H.R.4183 - Helping Unemployed Workers Act

To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of programs providing unemployment benefits, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Official: To amend the Assistance for Unemployed Workers and Struggling Families Act and the Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2008 to provide for the temporary extension of programs providing unemployment benefits, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Helping Unemployed Workers Act as introduced.

Doingtherightthing 12/03/2009 5:07am

Glad to see this get the attention it desperately needed. So many didn’t realize just how important this bill is. As many don’t even have their 3rd tier started yet, this bill is a very serious issue for them and all of us into 2010. I have been busy all day emailing and calling to show my support for the H.R. 4183. Let’s get this passed before year’s end!

woznyclan 12/03/2009 2:54am

Reauthorize ARRA for the Millions of Workers That Will Lose Benefits Without It

dartcanyon 03/12/2010 10:46am
in reply to Cindermaid Mar 10, 2010 4:58am

CNN/HLN just had a piece on about people who are cheating on unemployment and that Sen. Byh, I think, opposes the passage of what the Senate just approved. There are cheaters in every system including the very people who run this country from Washington. Until each and every one of them is honest, straightforward and does NOTHING wrong then I don’t want to hear a damn word about anyone else. The vast majority of the unemployed are honest people who look for work regularly and can prove that.

Doingtherightthing 12/19/2009 1:43pm

Im probably one of the worst cases for unemployment. I was laid off from 3 differnet jobs over 12 months. And my income went from 46,0000 a year to 9,900
so now I dont get full benefits or weeks. A very bad place to be,and I feel bad for those who are in the same situation as me ,the system really hoses us. We get half the amount and half the weeks ,based on the low income. So now I run out 1st week of January of the 3rd tier already. Sense they passed this I wont get the 4th tier of 6 weeks but only 3 weeks,which lands me the 1st of Febuary with nothing ,unless I get the EB benefits I was getting before the 3rd tier kicked in. Anyone have any information if we would get EB ? Not a good place to be right now.

nancym 12/06/2009 4:27am
in reply to Jane0218 Dec 05, 2009 3:59pm

Jane0218, yes, it extends all EUC Tiers, so you would get those, as the bill stands now. But are you sure you would get EB in PA? Check to see what your current cutoff date for qualifying for EB is in PA. Many states EB laws provided for benefits only for the period that was covered under the previous federal 100% funding and stopped when that cutoff did at Jan 1, 2010. This new bill extends EB funding at 100% again, if passed, so if PA’s dates cut you off at the earlier federal cutoff date, PA legislature would have to pass further legislation for you to get EB. (I don’t know that PA might not have a more generous law; you would have to check with them to find out for certain.)

JohnB1932 12/16/2009 7:55am

House voting on HR 3326, Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2010. Appears it will pass with a huge majority, currently Yeas 399 – Nays 29. Last I heard there would be a 2 month extenion of ARRA with a jobs bill being brought up in January. Pelosi wants the new job bill on the President’s desk by the State of The Union address.

NYER566 03/13/2010 12:23pm

Sign this petition it needs 100 signatures for tier V it will be sent to congress! The website is http://www.change.org/actions

JohnB1932 12/16/2009 8:04am

Defense spending bill PASSED! Onto the Senate. Some votes changed FINAL VOTE: 395-24. Jobs bill is on for later in the day (even if the House passes this, the Senate is likely to push this into January). Pelosi is leaving for Copenhagen and will stay until 12-19. If any changes or new votes are needed, Pelosi has alerted the House that will be back for additional votes on the 19th.

dartcanyon 03/12/2010 10:49am
in reply to Cindermaid Mar 10, 2010 4:58am

Yup and I passed the Census job exam with flying colors but did not get a job out of it and I’m a college graduate. I am not sending any census papers back. They know where I am and that I am out of work. That’s all they need to know. What can they do?? Put me in jail?? Yeah…then I would have free rent, no bills, food, medical at no expense. Sounds OK with me.

Doingtherightthing 12/16/2009 7:32am

Im sure that the house dropped the part of the jobs bill that was mixed with the defense bill and not the years end deadline extension that was to be voted on today but I could be wrong .

mike40 12/15/2009 1:31pm
in reply to divasheart Dec 15, 2009 9:29am

What they are working on now in congress is called the defense funding bill..and with our luck they decided to try and add the extented dates of HR3548 to this (from their pass mess up with the ARRA).

Now if this don’t pass quite a few are SOL in 2010..but speaking of the long term unemployed..if this bill passed or not is no help to us..if your ending your 99 weeks around March 2010..thats it..find a job and fast no matter what it pays!!! For those not long term unemployed..this bill also will not give you 99 weeks..unemployment isn’t welfare..in other words not made to be fair to all!

US_Taxpayer 12/16/2009 6:36pm

People get confused. The recent passage in the House in the defense bill to extend unemployment 2 months is NOT extending actual benefits by 8 weeks, but IS a 2 month eligibility extension. EXAMPLE: I will exhaust my OC Original Claim of first 26 weeks of UI Unemployment Insurance Jan. 5 2010. I was not eligible to go to Tier 1 (20 additional weeks) because of the old CUT OFF Date of Dec. 2009. With the CUT OFF date moved to Feb 28 2010 ( providing it passes the Senate before years end) I will go to the next Tier 1.

Debbie119 12/16/2009 8:12am

CNN just posted Jobless Benefits Extended through 2/2010 passes overwhelmingly by Congress, ON TO THE SENATE!

JohnB1932 12/16/2009 8:23am

Graham 12/16/2009 7:20am
in reply to NYER566 Dec 16, 2009 2:51am

So what happens now?

dartcanyon 03/12/2010 10:46am
in reply to dartcanyon Mar 12, 2010 10:46am
I don’t see any of the crooks in Washington being denied paychecks, benefits or anything else even when they get caught and that seems to be a pretty regulat thing with the fat daddies. They are playing with out lives, giving money to foreign countries, foreigners in this country and approving piddly bills that are really stupid and unnecessary. Take the money from NASA and take care of Real Americans out of work. We don’t need to be in space and have no business there. Keep that money and the exorbitant paychecks to play in space right here on terra firma and we’ll all benefit.
JohnB1932 12/16/2009 1:36pm
in reply to JohnB1932 Dec 16, 2009 1:35pm

The three expiring provisions are:
(1) Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program, which provides up
to 53 weeks of extended benefits, depending on a State’s unemployment rate;
(2) 100% federal funding for the Extended Benefits (EB) program, which provides
up to an additional 13 to 20 weeks of benefits in certain States (13 weeks for States
at or above 6.5% unemployment and another 7 weeks for States at or above 8%
unemployment); and
(3) Federal Additional Compensation (FAC), which increases all UI benefits by
$25 a week.
The legislation would fully continue these three programs for the first two months
of 2010.

JohnB1932 12/16/2009 1:35pm

Cont’d:

The three expiring provisions are:
(1) Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program, which provides up
to 53 weeks of extended benefits, depending on a State’s unemployment rate;
(2) 100% federal funding for the Extended Benefits (EB) program, which provides
at or above 6.5% unemployment and another 7 weeks for States at or above 8%
unemployment); and
(3) Federal Additional Compensation (FAC), which increases all UI benefits by
$25 a week.
of 2010.

JohnB1932 12/16/2009 1:31pm

Check out the link from the House Ways and Means comitte regarding the specifics to the amendment to HR 3326 (the Defense bill):

JohnB1932 12/16/2009 1:35pm
in reply to JohnB1932 Dec 16, 2009 1:31pm

The text (in 2 parts since it exceeds the maximum of 1,000 characters):

Extension of Unemployment Insurance Programs in DoD bill –
The three primary Unemployment Insurance (UI) provisions established or
continued by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act phase-out at the end of the year. (At the end of December, no new entrants are allowed to claim EUC benefits and existing recipients may only conclude their current tier of benefits.)

traveler1 12/16/2009 2:53pm
in reply to mike40 Dec 15, 2009 1:31pm

mike40 that’s a good point. I wonder how many folks out there are thinking that a 6 month or a 12 month extension is going to give them 6-12 months of extra money. Unless I’m mistaken, those extensions simply apply to the last date that you can apply for an extension that you are qualified for. Meaning, like you said .. if all you have coming is 20 weeks then no matter how far out they “extend” the thing .. your benefits will be over when your 20 weeks run out. Thankfully unemployment seems to be turning around and they are also trying to stimulate job growth through their jobs spending package. Hopefully after 14 or 20 weeks we’ll all be standing at some water cooler at some job thankful for what we’ve gotten so far. Without all those extensions, a lot of us would be living under a bridge. If there was room there.

nancym 12/16/2009 3:55pm
in reply to divasheart Dec 15, 2009 9:29am

The extension of benefits in this bill will help ALL who are up against the Dec 31 deadline for eligibility. That includes not only the long term unemployed but also anyone who cannot advance to the Tiers without this extension. So whatever tier or benefits you are on you can advance to getting the next tier, as long as you exhaust your current tier before Feb 28.

Doingtherightthing 12/16/2009 7:29am

Anyone ? They said there was a vote today was there ? is there ?. There are so many splits to this unemployment extension,first there is the extension of just the dates from dec,31,2009 to febuary 09 the 2 month filing extension which only allows filing not extending any weeks. Then there is the 6 month extension for all unemployed that I beleave was dropped today for later review and voting by late Jan,2010 . I guess right now we need to know if there going to vote on the years end extension dead lines,or is this the part that was dropped today ?? any information would be great on this.

djsgarrett 12/28/2009 8:13am

What is the name of the actual bill that the new EUC dates are in? I know it started as HR 4183 but then got moved to the defense bill.

djsgarrett 12/20/2009 2:57am

OK, now that there is a little sigh of relief for some of us, I pray now for jobs. Does anyone else agree that NAFTA should be abolished?

traveler1 12/16/2009 8:27pm
in reply to US_Taxpayer Dec 16, 2009 6:36pm

US Taxpayer, I keep forgetting that tier 3 folks are not the only ones in existence. Being on your original 26 weeks, you’ll just enter tier 1 in January. And, it seems like you’re one of the ones who would benefit from a 6 month or 1 year extension because then you could qualify for all the tiers instead of having everything cut off in March. At least that’s the way I think it works. If that’s the case, a 6 month extension could help a lot of people who are still in the earlier or even “pre-tier” stages.

Doingtherightthing 12/17/2009 1:34am

No the 3rd tier people are set to run out of benefits in march regardless. So there is a job’s bill that could extend benefits for the long term unemployed,not just a date extension but a actual benefit extension. For those on tier 1 or 2 probably wont see a 5th tier like the long term unemployed will,because by the time they use there benefits up,the unemployment rates could be way down ,at least we hope they are. Its all about the unemployment rates and if by late 2010 rates are still up then congress could vote to extend the filing dates for the tier 1 and 2 people,but thats a hole new ball game.

switsail 12/17/2009 1:44am

I’ve been monitoring the posts here (My panic date is Mid January).

I just want to thank you guys for the info.

Sure does take a little of the worry out of the situation.

I feel bad for people who have no idea what is going on.

Thanks again

Doingtherightthing 12/16/2009 8:44am

Thanks guys for the info. So as of now we could at least get the year end date moved out untill Feb 2010. If the senate approves, then we could have a vote on a 6 month extension later on say late Jan ,2010 ??

NYER566 12/16/2009 2:51am

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/72439-house-drops-plan-to-package-jobs-bill-with-defense-appropriations-measure The House dropped jobs bill with defense bill, so now what?