H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

kevinelliott 06/20/2010 1:20am

I don’t think it would make much difference! These guys are in it for the power, the politics, the notoriety, and the back office deals. Most of them are already independently wealthy. Remember, it takes a lot of money to get into power, and often times the parties only support financially well-to-do types, since they need to understand the party clientelle (i.e. rich fatcat lobbyists and wealthy corporations who support their campaigns).

I love what you’re saying in spirit. I wish giving these guys a median salary of an equivalent position would actually make them more accountable and understanding, but if they’re already loaded, why would they care? They still have the power, and the back office deals.

• brokechristine 06/17/2010 10:42pm

Shame Shame Shame on the PEOPLE’S representation!!!! GOVT stop lying to make your numbers look good on how f’ing great things are- wake up!!!! Do you even read the news- employers won’t hire the “unemployed” hello is this ringing a f’in bell you self righteous bastards. PASS THIS BILL and bail out the PEOPLE until you finally figure out that your earlier decisions to ship our jobs oversees is now biting your assess off. It’s GOVT WASTE that has this country in a deficit- funding a war we WILL NEVER WIN- HELP YOUR OWN PEOPLE FIRST!!! How could you f’ers take a vacation on Memorial day weekend ok money to Haiti and stick the American people then- and since then- This is ridiculious!!!!! The unemployed like me due to GM closing my dealership after you gave them my money is too qualified for minimum wage jobs that they know you’ll leave at your first chance- so now I can’t get a job- pay the rent- buy groceries etc. Do I have to move to a foreign country to get help!!!! shit

• I havent received the 99 wks others have, healthy white guy, havent resorted to crime, havent scammed anyone, look for work everynight and day, havent given up, regardless of the odds If my chrysler doesnt get paid, in 2 wks, which im 8 months away from paying off, they will come take it, i lose out on every dollar ive paid for the dang thing in the last 5 yrs, i was workin hard, no degree, but im a hard worker, drug free and their talking about us doing drugs, like we could afford them, Their the rich elites, laughing at us and taking our tax money and our parents too, going to strip clubs, dishing out money to criminals and other countries, Obtusity, we dont deserve that, and as far as drug tests go, they should be illegal, Against the constitution to force us to give our dna away to anyone, if i piss on anything it will be in there faces as i go down fighting. we all have our day, yours is a coming. Pass the extension bill, make it right or i promise you havent seen anything yet.

• KASwann 06/18/2010 4:50am

I was unemployed in Nov 2009 and fell through some loophole as my benefits ended May 29th 2010. WOW 26 weeks and I have exhausted my benefits? I am competing with people who have been off for 52 weeks and more and I am off any benefits? Hardly seems right that I fell through this crack. Fix it please!! Take off the extra 25 bucks and let us have our regular extended benefits please!!! Make this bill pass and pronto!

• brokechristine 06/18/2010 5:39am

I am in the same boat laid of Nov 2009. I didn’t receive 99 weeks either- yep were competing with the first wave of layoffs from 2008- plus I live in a college town. Wonder if these representatives read the news about how employers don’t want to hire the unemployed. God help us.

• bluboy1313 06/18/2010 5:45am

Yes, if this isn’t the poster child of this broken government wtf! They put so many issues together and make it impossible to have a straight up bill vote just for Unemployment and then the republicans have a new battle cry “oh we must not add to the budget!!!” WTF really is this the time for your BS now? We are watching and can see when the American people are down who really stands by them!
    My God this is the third week… when it should have been handle before the break… IF the republicans belief in their cause they should return their pay to the Treasury then they too like many Americans can go without pay but their argument rings hollow when it is just a cheap tactic used when it doesn’t effect the elite rich…
    A breaking new story is that many banks are now failing to repay their TARP loans!
    Hey throw those bums out on the street just like they would do to us when we miss our house payments!!!
    I would love to see some homeless bankers!!!

domer4 06/18/2010 8:36am

Looks like another week of no check. What a bunch of BS. Our government is so screwed up. This is a kick in the gut for all hard working Americans who are entitled to this benefit. I can’t believe they don’t understand what this is doing to peoples lives. And they wonder why people don’t want to take the time to vote.

tmo520 06/18/2010 12:23pm

agreed – it is BS. however, that is WHY we need to vote so that this type of thing doesn’t happen! bottom line is that this is another week with NO check. we help everyone all over the world (and most don’t even like us but they’ll take our $$), but we don’t help in our own backyard. hard to believe….

xman69 06/18/2010 12:25pm

you got it only in america maybe another civil war should start up!

brokechristine 06/19/2010 7:47pm

It won’t be long and the news will start talking about the increase in guns and ammunition sales- a scene right out of Les Miserabe. The people will have to do what the people have to do- better make sure you protect your right to arms- that will be the next thing they try to take away now that they’re pissing the real America off. Part of why our troops are still away is that they won’t have a job when they come home either…..chew on that one awhile….

• sehall57 06/18/2010 11:55am

Is this going to come down to the President making an Executive decision to override Congress? Failure to pass legislation to extend unemployment deadlines is going to have a devastating impact on all levels in this country. How can our Senators be so blind as to not see THERE ARE NO JOBS and with employers taking the cold hearted position of excluding unemployed workers from consideration for openings Congress should be adding “Employment Status” to the list of Title 5 discriminatory conditions employers are barred from practicing. America’s employers are the ones who dumped all these workers onto awards of the state to take care of all in the name of higher dividends and profits for their shareholders. The government should be holding them totally, by proportion, accountable. They should not be allowed for creating this burden on America.

• Spam Comment

• whywasilaidoff 06/18/2010 7:31pm

THROW THE TEA IN THE BAY!
    Too bad I was busy working and paying taxes all these years and didn’t have time to watch our legislators at work. Too bad I was laid off even though I had more seniority than most of my coworkers. I get angrier every moment that I watch what happens while the Senators waste precious time and money. Does anyone else yell at the screen when they are telling stories about movies they saw or spending hours wishing happy birthdays? Thank goodness for the Hollywood walk of Fame because that is one of the most importaint issues today. ???!!!
    It makes me mad that my senators voted down this bill. Who are they representing? Get to work for us and do your job!
    FOR THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE.
    WE ARE BROKE.
    WE NEED HELP!

• tmo520 06/18/2010 8:07pm

i read everyone’s comments on here daily (and then some) and i wonder what we can do besides posting comments on this website. i have written my congressmen, etc. are they hearing us? this should have been handled weeks ago and tonight on ABC national news they reported that they don’t know how they are going to pay for it? funny, it didn’t seem to be that hard to use our hard earned $$s to bail out auto and banks. what else can we do to get this taken care of?

dankennedy73 06/19/2010 9:26am

To be honest, if you are wondering if our represntative hear us the answer is only when it is close to an election and even then it is only to pay us half heartened lip service. We need to stop voting for career politicians, we, “the everyday citizens of this country,” who have to endure the ridculous crap that comes from Congress and our respective state legislatures, need to start geting involved. Running for office ourselves and remembering always what it is like for our fellow citizens on the streets. That is why they don’t care. Most politician have never been poor, and of the few who have most of them have forgotten.

• loganstorm 06/19/2010 3:28am

Well its official. I’ve lost my home. If I don’t have the rent paid by July 1, my children and I are homeless. I’ve worked all my life, I am not a deadbeat, I ran out my first 26 weeks of unemployment the day the extension ended. While on UI, I was looking for work aggressively. After awhile, I couldn’t even afford the ink for my printer to print resumes, but at least I had the rent paid so my children had a home. I have two degrees, one in child psychology and one in accounting/business management…and was looking even for waitress work and was turned down for being overqualified. When I told them to exploit me, they just laughed. If this bill doesn’t pass, get signed & go into effect in the next few days, I’m homeless. I’ve never been a whiner or a quitter, but I just don’t know what do do anymore. If it wasn’t for my kids, I might just give up for good.

xman69 06/19/2010 5:56am

i feel for you loganstorm! i’m right behind you,guess i’ll have to resort to srlling drugs or something to make sure my family can eat. would rather just have a job :(

mrepictruth 06/19/2010 10:16am

Welcome to debt slavery! America’s apathy made it so.

kevinelliott 06/20/2010 1:37am

I feel for you. Your situation is dire, and you don’t deserve this. You’re highly qualified for most any position it sounds like. I have read a lot of comments, and have met a lot of people over the years, who like you have several degrees. I almost feel like in a lot of ways this whole country is over qualified. We ship off so much of our jobs overseas that we can’t ALL be managers and business owners. We can’t all do thought work and engineering (although so much of that is offshored too now). Everyone becomes over qualified, except when it’s convenient for a company to wade through piles of resumes and slowly take their pick. Sure, it’s their right. But that’s the sad truth. Some companies are so happy that they can finally nitpick over which exact candidates they want.

Anyway, you’re not alone. Hang in there. Millions in your shoes, and likely hundreds of thousands in your exact situation. Whatever you do, don’t go back to school AGAIN. It’s unnecessary.

• dankennedy73 06/19/2010 9:43am

Go check out Yahoo News. Just yesterday I read a story about corporations listing jobs that specifically deny unemployed from being able to apply. They want someone with a job already to apply because they believe the same crap everyone else does: if you’re unemployed it must be because you’re lazy and don’t want a job. What a load of bull! I would love a job, but I won’t even be considered by anyone for a decent job just because I’m unemployed.

• bhrodeoaz 06/19/2010 10:36am

Then Senators who oppose this bill are attacking the middle class americans like myself who work in the construction industry. They want to piss and bitch and moan about boo hoo whos gonna pay for our unemployment.? Hmm i am gonna guess we are going to pay for it our selves, with the govts ability to throw trillions of dollars to banks, automakers supervising boards(not the workers), and yet they can not help out its own citizens. I know that with out the middle class construction workers NOBODY would have a car to drive built by americans, on roads that are built by american workers, to buildings and/or work built by american workers. Yet the senators bitch and moan wondering about taxes and shit. Set your political bickering aside step the f- up and take care of the people who put your fat asses in office. Otherwise we will getyou the hell out its simple

• bhrodeoaz 06/19/2010 10:42am

Another thing i noticed was a CNBC report about last months jobs report boasted 438,000 jobs created. Big DEAL what they didnt say was 411,000 of those jobs were Temporary Census workers who are now back on the unemployment line. Bunch of biased bull shit if you ask me

leslierickard 06/19/2010 2:24pm

It is bs, and it is very biased. Big Buisiness controls the media, the same way it controls the government. If they say jump the government jumps and the media is there to take their pics and report on who jumped the highest.

• KASwann 06/19/2010 5:42pm

I do think Obama should over rule this darn thing and sign it in. HE knows that it is seriously screwed up. Bail out banks and no good auto makers and then let the people who are out of work lose everything? not funny. They really need to get working on this bill and get it passed.

• Unemployed1 06/19/2010 5:59pm

They are worried about the money to fund this bill and some parts of the bill should not pass. The unemployment extension should be on a seperate bill. If they are worried about funding unemployment bennefits, what will the do when people have to line up at the welfare office because they lost their unemployment? I am sure that none of us want that, none of us want welfare. We were eligbel for unemployment because we had our weeks in and the job market still sucks. Pass the bill, cant they seperate the unemployment part of the bill and then work on the rest? They need to stop worrying about who looks better in the end. Pass the damn bill already!

• brokechristine 06/19/2010 7:31pm

Our leaders are worried about a welfare state. What they should be worried about is the unemployed rallying together with what little resources we have and taking a road trip to the capitol, making signs, using bullhorns and making an unemployment quilt with each square representing an American family who’s American dreams have died.

• patsy1950 06/20/2010 5:40am

Our Congress is shameful! I am so tired of hearing that the majority of America wants to lower the deficit, not increase it. This was repeated over and over again during the Senate hearings. Blah, blah blah. Nothing else to say Senators? Yes, we all want to lower the deficit, but right now there are hundreds of thousands of YOUR fellow Americans left out in the cold because of your own criteria. I am a 60 year old unemployed woman that has been laid off 2 times in the past 20 months and currently unemployed for 1 year. Too young for retirement and too old to be hired. Yes, that is a fact that is happening along with employers requiring people are currently employed.The longer I am unemployed will affect my retirement earnings. Senators, sending billions to other countries in crisis, but ignoring your own American citizens is disgusting and shameful!!!! We all will remember come next election.

leslierickard 06/20/2010 8:13am

Congress is so worried about the defecit….are they even thinking about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac? It is estimated now that it will cost the AMERICAN TAXPAYERS…yes the AMERICAN TAXPAYERS….$145.9 billion to bail them out of the mess they were in. How does HR4213 compare…how can they seriously say they are worried about the defecit? I am already a week late on my rent with late fees growing every day, I am expecting an eviction notice any day now. I have so many open applications out there, if anyone should call they won’t be able to get through…AT&T is shutting my phone off. My electric bill hasn’t been paid this month, so that’s going as well. I have used the last of my money for what groceries I could get…and it wasnt’t much. I won’t even be able to drive to a food bank because I will not have gas in my car. My youngest son’s birthday is Tues. and it breaks my heart to tell him he will be getting nothing. I just hope to be able to eat by then!

leslierickard 06/20/2010 8:13am
    I am so disgusted with our government and ashamed…I really don’t think this is what George Washington and our founding fathers thought of when they formed the United States. Somewhere along the way the grasp on reality slipped away and now these politicians live in a fantasy world…at least it’s a fantasy world to me, a place where I don’t have to worry about my next meal or if my son’s will have a roof over their heads come next week!
    leslierickard 06/20/2010 11:29am

Well, my landlord just came by, if I don’t have rent this week my sons and myself will be homeless. WHat part of WE NEED HELP is the senate not hearing!