H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

• Jess01869 06/22/2010 7:10pm

Senator Orrin Hutch wants to drug test the unemployed…just got to love this guy’s idea on how he proposes to actually fund these tests. Hatch said the test would be paid for with money saved by not paying benefits. “Any monies left over would go to help the states with the drug testing and so forth, and if there’s any surplus it goes to pay off the deficit,” he said
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/22/orrin-hatch-drug-test the_n_620908.html
    I also don’t think anyone who is on unemployment really actually buys drugs with their money. I think they are struggling to eat, raise families, pay bills and rent, and pay for health care! How insulting. Waste money on drug testing those who don’t do drugs in the first place-brilliant.

tmo520 06/22/2010 8:02pm

if this weren’t so pathetic, it would be frickin’ funny! can you imagine standing in line with millions of other unemployed people to pee in a cup. then, we would have to TRUST the government to get the results correct. that’s funny. i wrote my congressman and asked him for his local address in CA, because my family and i were going to come and live with him since i just exhausted my first 26 weeks of unemployment, and my husband had to file for it 2 weeks ago. to date, i don’t have his local address. i don’t think i’ll hold my breath! pass the frickin’ bill!

• Jess01869 06/22/2010 7:22pm

I’m 28 years old and have kidney stones and if I need to see a doctor I sacrifice a utility since it’s a $100 to go to a clinic in Austin, Tx and $565 + to go to the E.R. Now I have absolutely nothing on my card and just exhausted Tier 1 on June 5th. I was just evicted from my home June 18th for non payment of rent and since I couldn’t guarantee my landlord my extension would come through to pay July’s. She got sick of waiting just like everyone else. I got lucky and managed to move into another house in another town at half the rent I had been paying and still have to come up with rent for July 1st for my new home @$850 (including the $350 deposit.) I have to pay car insurance which is due tomorrow (don’t have $40 for even that), and set up utilities….I’m already used to starving. I’m waiting on this extension, a job, or even death…not that some of these senators give a damn and surely not the senators of the state I live in. I’ve written 3 senators so far today and I’m not done.

• katsus7 06/22/2010 8:54pm

Look people please go and call your reps and senators ASAP everyday if you have too, they are counting the calls..ALSO please email Henry Reid and tell him your story and ask him to please get a move on with this…he has the power to SEPARATE THE BILLS…WE NEED THIS UNEMPLOYMENT BILL SEPARATE AND THEY NEED TO QUIT DOING POLITICS AS USUAL…THIS IS BOTH THE DEMS AND REPS FAULT…THE DEMS CAN MAKE THIS BILL A SEPARATE ISSUE SO PLEASE CALL UR REPS AND SENATORS EVERYDAY!!! THANKS

• kozmicblossom 06/23/2010 5:08am

when are they going to vote again, what is going on now? what is the latest news?

codemoney 06/23/2010 6:01am

From what I have been reading there is no hope of any more extensions.

fustratedamerican 06/23/2010 7:51am

Here is a link to the latest I read:

Also Donny Shaw gave an update on his blog today- It’s on this very site: “Dems Give up GOP, Deal With K Street Instead on Extenders Bill”

• tybeedac 06/23/2010 5:09am

This Great Recession that we are in has destroyed the Middle Class as we know it. One of the largest groups of long term unemployed are professional people from ages 40 to 65. We are discovering that our previous occupations do not exist anymore. I do believe that extended unemployment benefits are necessary to help sustain the long term unemployed and our economy. However, a long term solution is also necessary. I agree that Government needs to draw a line as to when benefits should stop, but they need help us create our own solutions to our joblessness before they draw that line and curtail benefits.

• tybeedac 06/23/2010 5:09am

I suggest that the Government provide stimulus funds to the long term professionals, who are unemployed by way of the Small Business Administration. These funds are available to anyone with a good business plan and excellent credit. That is the problem for many of us long term unemployed, who have lost their homes, cars, and have many of unpaid bills. All of which have resulted in the destruction of our credit ratings. We do possess the knowledge, fortitude, and skills to open our own small businesses and support ourselves, and create new jobs. We just do not have the credit. We want to be part of the solution – not the problem

• whywasilaidoff 06/23/2010 6:15am

Let’s look into welfare money and see what we can cut there. How many millions of dollars are sent out to people who have never worked a day in their lives? I have heard of families where the children, parents and grandparents are on welfare. I have neighbors who get free housing, utilities, food and money for their children. I have seen for myself these people selling illegal drugs to suppliment their income. How about testing welfare recipiants for drugs?
    We have worked hard and earned the right for these unemployment benefits.
    PASS THE BILL!

• martyritchie 06/23/2010 6:27am

I have been laid off since the beginning of December and just exhausted my 26 weeks of unemployment. I do apply for jobs everyday and get no response. I don’t want and can not live on unemployment forever, I just can’t take care of my family on no income. I just wish congress would pass this bill so that hardworking families who have come on hard times can survive until better things happen.

• Noyaha 06/23/2010 6:50am

I know one thing if this government doesn’t get on the ball and pass HR4213 and put a stop to they nickpicking and help this countries unemployed, then when it comes time to vote for their a**, I will most assurely put them out of a job. So listen up those of you that supposely Represent Tennessee, if you want to keep your job and get my vote next time pass this Bill.

Allana1 06/23/2010 8:13am

Hi Noyaha,

Go to www.senate.gov find your senators Lamar Alexander and Bob Corker and email them. Tell them your story. If they don’t pass the bill by Friday the 25th we are stuck until after the 4th of July and they most likely won’t come back until the 6th. So while their fat asses are on vacation and enjoying their 4th we will be stressed hoping that our families don’t go hungry and will not be kicked out on the street!

loganstorm 06/23/2010 8:16am

According to CSpan2 schedule, they will start voting on amendments again today at 2:30.

littleindian 06/23/2010 9:50am

Does anybody Really know what time it is…..?

I never understood the words to that song until now!

loganstorm 06/23/2010 9:54am

Wow, what a runaround. NOW, Reid spoke for 1 minute, said the bill needs to go back to the finance committee for about an hour and should reconvene for debate around 4:30 on cspan2

Harmonzhouse 06/23/2010 10:07am

Well first things first, took me 15 mins to log in, says over capacity, however says i can still make a donation congress but could not leave comments..WTF right donate what , my unemployment money that im not going to be getting, RIGHT!! Anyway all these people are doing is stalling, as far as sending the bill back to finance ? Why dont they just come out and say , hey we dont want to deal with this bill right now. This is all becoming absurd and i cant wait until Election time !!

Harmonzhouse 06/23/2010 10:37am

When the hell are they gonna vote on this !!!1

n30hansen 06/23/2010 11:44am

Now it’s been pushed again to 6:00 because another senator asked for changes. Just an FYI.

loganstorm 06/23/2010 12:03pm

they’ll never get to it… its their plan to make us dependent on them :( I think they enjoy toying with us. feeling like a puppet anyone?

carterpc 06/23/2010 12:13pm

i agree with you and have thought that along..its a sick game toying with people livelyhood

littleindian 06/23/2010 12:17pm

or lack there of….

littleindian 06/23/2010 12:18pm

my strings are worn and short!

• patsy1950 06/23/2010 7:43am

Watching c-span2 as I have for days and it is still not looking promising. I am attaching 2 websites with info for a request of executive order from Pres Obama including a request for the 99er’s:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/37861613#37861613; http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5513830/2010_unemployment_extension_99ers_appeal.html?cat=62

• martyritchie 06/23/2010 7:47am

So glad to see congress thinks prepaid calling calls are more important than enemployment insurance!!!

• Allana1 06/23/2010 8:41am

OK everybody it is Wednesday the 23rd of June. We have until Friday the 25th to get them to pass this bill or we are stuck until after 4th of July most, likely the 6th because the 4th falls on a Sunday and they (government employees) will observe it on Monday. I just went to whithouse.gov and emailed the president have you? I’m going to start working on the rest of capitol hill right now. I was just going to email MY senator but they ALL need to know what they are doing is irreprehensible and selfish! They are jaded because some of those old timers have been on the hill so long they’re out of touch with what is going on with their costituents and what is really important for US not THEM!

• Jess01869 06/23/2010 10:37am

I can’t believe this is happening. sickening. I wish I had the money to leave this country.

• Jess01869 06/23/2010 10:57am

Allana1 has got the right idea. I emailed senators Snowe, Collins, and Hutchison yesterday; today I plan on emailing more and the president…why the heck not?

tmo520 06/23/2010 2:11pm

you’re right – i emailed Cali’s senators – i’ve already emailed the president (back in march) and got a reply a couple of days ago. a bunch of canned BS. this is unbelievable – pass the bill……………..

• patsy1950 06/23/2010 11:43am

This bill has been delayed again. It was sent to the finance committee and now Senator Reid says that there is 1 Senator that wants to change “something” so now the bill will be back on the floor at 6pm. I only can hope that congress passes this tonight….I’m running out of hope…..