H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

• unemployeddad 06/20/2010 9:20am

Like most if not all of everybody posting here, I too have been unemployed for quite some time, and with congress failing to pass the bill to help out the average American I too no longer receive unemployment benefits which I have paid into for years. They really need to pass this, with no income what so ever coming in and rent day rapidly approaching me and my family are looking at eviction. Im not registered to vote right now but that will quickly change as soon as i find out what i have to do to get registered, if for nothing else than to vote these selfish SOB’s that have no grasp on what hard working(unemployed) Americans are going through.

On a happier note I would like to wish all those reading this blog/forum a Happy Fathers day (at the very least our children can offer us their love and comfort in this dire time, even if they don’t understand it).

In a way I admire the children, it is true “ignorance is bliss”. Congress must believe this as well.

• klig103 06/20/2010 9:53am
    the American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act. The bill was to have been the House vehicle to extend the enhanced federal matching dollars for the Medical Assistance Program.It is worth $850 million in next year’s budget for PA-over 7% of the DPW budget. The Governor’s proposed budget, along with the state budgets of 29 other states, assumed passage of the “FMAP extension.”

Without this Act, PA will be forced to implement deep budget cuts,face layoffd State, county and municipal jobs

• klig103 06/20/2010 10:14am

WITHOUT THIS BILL I HAVE TO STAY IN A NURSING HOME. I AS PUT HERE INCORRECTLY 2 AND A HALF YEARS AGO AT THE AGE OF 50. I TURNED 53 ON 5/26/10. OVER A YEAR AND A HALF AGO I GOT MY MEMORY BACK RETAUGHT MYSELF HOW TO DRESS, I’M COLLEGE EDUCATED. BUT WOULD RATHER LIVE ON WELFARE THEN IN HERE. A DR. MADE A BIG MISTAKE SAYING SHORT-TERM MEMORY LOSS WAS LONG TERM MEMORY LOSS AND A HEART ATTACK. MY SAVINGS ARE GONE. I CAN’T GO ON ELEVATOR ALONE ONLY GET A 5 MINUTE SHOWER 3 TIMES A WEEK. NO ONE TO TSLK TO. I’M GOING CRAZY IN HERE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET OUT. THIS ISN’T LIVING.

• codemoney 06/20/2010 10:19am

Now what?

• klig103 06/20/2010 10:23am

IF CONGRESS WOULD OASS H.R. 4213 WITH THE FMAP ECTENSION IN IT LIBERTY RESOURCES A GREAT CENTER FOR INDEPENDENT LIVING IN PHILA. PA. COULD HELP M GET OUT. I DON’T WANT TO STAY IN THIS NURSING HOME AND ROT! THIS ISN’T LIVING!

• Jess01869 06/20/2010 4:55pm

I just recently got evicted from my home waiting on the extension or a job. My landlord gave me til June 18th to come up with rent or get out. Needless to say due to the bill not passing and not hearing from employers, I wasn’t able to keep my home.I’ve now had to move to another town 4 hours away from the current one I lived in where a good majority of potential jobs are. I can’t even pay my insurance on my car, put gas in it, or keep my phone on that all aid in my job searches if this bill does not pass! I was lucky enough to be able to stay with struggling friends and give them the very last of my money ($250 from my last unemployment check) to prevent from being on the street with all of my belongings. My father is in even a worse situation with having worked all his life, getting laid off, collecting unemployment and now completely cut off, in his 50’s with difficulty finding employers who want to hire someone his age. He has had to sell everything just to get by and is homeless.

• Jess01869 06/20/2010 4:56pm

I’m in awe over this bill not passing. I’ve been getting unemployment for 7 months after getting let go from my job of 6 years…I’m doing my job searches and everything else I can do to get by. I’m sure everyone on unemployment has similar stories. People ARE going homeless and will continue to do so if something isn’t done! The only good thing put into perspective on this situation for me is that I know exactly who I’ll be voting for come election.

• pattyddddd 06/20/2010 9:24pm

I’m in the same boat as everyone else is. Lost my house, sold everything in order to pay for my bills. Now I’m out of medicine (insulin).

Here’s the killer!! I called the city to tell them I can’t make my monthly tax payment and they gave me until next month to pay. Wow….I can’t pay my taxes because this Bill hasn’t passed. Seems like a vicious circle to me.

• njcoolchik 06/21/2010 3:59am

The unemployment portion of this bill does not add extra benefits in addition to what was already passed. All it does in FUND the benefits that was already agreed to.

How can you promise Americans unemployment benefits by giving them clear cut described terms then turn around and not provide the financial support for it? Its like saying “You are entitled to food to live”, but I’m sorry we can’t give it to you." What good does entitlement when there is no follow through?

This hurts the most. You don’t know what the job market is like out there. Be GRATEFUL that you are not caught up in this mess now and if you are currently employed. You don’t know how good you have it.

We don’t want to be on unemployment, we want jobs. But until the recessions shows some signs of easing and employers start hiring again, HELP us by funding the program you already voted and agreed to.

• mjh 06/21/2010 5:32am

Due to current situations with UI, made decision with cutting back on some things also including auto insurance (bare state minimums plus medpay, since have no health insurance) and using air conditioner even less than was before to cut down on electic bill. As hot as it is in evenings in my aptmt. hopefully the decision to move my ’puter into my bedroom which feels about 15 degrees cooler will help some. Also stronly considering losing my land line which already has been discounted on the lifeline program. Considering to sell some of my sports memorabilia books of my favorite football team have collected over the years (6 of them).

• direstraits 06/21/2010 6:04am

It’s been 3 weeks since our extensions expired. I am not a 99er, I was one of the one’s who fell in the mid tier expiration. There will be alot more me’s in the weeks to come. My rent is 3 weeks overdue, my lights will be shut off soon, I have no gas to job hunt anymore, cant pay insurance now anyway, phone will be shut off soon so jobs I applied for won’t be able to reach me anyway, food is running out. I don’t know how to hunt or fish but I am going to learn, and I have a tent and camping equipment. I’m female, and my teenagers also can’t find work so…I see no choice soon but to embrace our inner Daniel Boones & go live in the woods and learn to survive there. Forget housing which has a 1 year waiting list because so many people lost their jobs. My parents grew up in the Great Depression and told stories. And that, my friends, is where we are fast heading…by September this country will be in the 2nd Great Depression complete with Hobo towns and beggars on the streets. Good luck.

• whywasilaidoff 06/21/2010 6:32am

So the House of Representatives meets at 11:00, says the pledge of allegiance and then the speaker announces that the House now adjourns. I wish that when I was working I could have taken a break after 3 mins. and gone back to my desk one and a half hours later. I don’t understand.
    I pray that this bill is brought up and passed today. Lord help us all!

leslierickard 06/21/2010 6:55am

It’s not the house that you need to be watching now…the bill is caught up in the senate. They are expected t ovote around 2:00 this afternoon and will be televised on cspan2…i no longer have cable so I will be trying to watch online. Of course after it passes (if it ever does) the sentate it will then be returned to the house and then to the president. Its not looking like I will have my rent paid this week, so I join the people that are already homeless.

njcoolchik 06/21/2010 7:31am

Thanks for this information, I will be sure to watch it while I still have a tv.

loganstorm 06/21/2010 8:01am

There is supposed to be a 10 minute debate before the 2:00 voting. Tune in at 1:45 EST to catch it all.

loganstorm 06/21/2010 8:00am

Join the club :( If I don’t have money this week, I’m also out. I haven’t used any extensions yet.. just ended the original 26 weeks of UI, but with two degrees, no one will hire me… “overqualified” I’m told. Then exploit me! I need to take care of my son.. don’t even know what to do if it doesn’t pass. I, along w/ so many of you, am feeling so lost right now. I don’t like this helpless feeling at all. Too bad we’re not in the same area… I know I could use the support (as well as a roomate under the nearest bridge)

• Jess01869 06/21/2010 9:18am

I definitely woke up this morning thinking how on the cusp America must be of The Great Depression # 2

Harmonzhouse 06/21/2010 9:30am

These politicians are just rediculous..what happened to the 2:00 vote? maybe my watch is wrong but it’s 2:30 on my watch.

unemployeddad 06/21/2010 9:34am

nope its right, killing time I guess

unemployeddad 06/21/2010 10:08am

Does anybody know where to go, for the time table/schedule for the senate today?

dgrobinson0226 06/21/2010 10:10am

I just read in one of the blogs that the Senate will not consider this until later in the week…

unemployeddad 06/21/2010 10:31am

can you post the link to the blog that you read this please

Harmonzhouse 06/21/2010 9:36am

I’m starting to hate this country, i was always very patriotic but boy has that changed. This country is no longer about the people, its about the politicians and how fat their pockets can get.

• kozmicblossom 06/21/2010 10:13am

does anyone know when they will really vote for this? can you post a link to the site that tells us??

loganstorm 06/21/2010 11:45am

Now I’m hearing (don’t have anything to link yet) that they aren’t going to vote until next week. not only are they holding us hostage not voting… but not even keeping us on schedule and up-to-date. Very frustrating to say the least. If what I’m hearing is wrong, PLEASE correct me!

fustratedamerican 06/21/2010 12:16pm

The latest I heard is on this site- http://www.opencongress.org/
    I also heard there is a proposal for drug testing? Seems like Hatch (and I’m sure a few others) are implying that everyone or most on benefits are drug users. This is not the first comment I’ve heard like this by a rep.
    Insane..pulling for everyone..

loganstorm 06/21/2010 12:45pm

Don’t know if it will help, but someone has started a petition for the immediate passage of the bill at http://uspoverty.change.org/petitions/view/we_demand_an_immediate_passage_of_bill_hr_4213_extension_of_unemployment_benefits
    I never have used drugs- at this point, although I don’t agree, I would take the test if it meant being able to feed my children.

loganstorm 06/21/2010 1:08pm

Ok all, hope is not lost- I found this article:
    and this website has been very helpful in posting up to date info:
    Don’t give up… I know I want to, but we can’t!!!!

rhian116 06/24/2010 6:13am

I cannot believe they are doing this to us. I am unemployed, and I am disgusted by their recent proposal to force me to take a drug test. It is degrading, insulting, and humiliating. I have never taken drugs, and I never will, but in the spirit of compromise, I offer my own proposal: I will submit to Hatch’s drug testing after he and every other Republican tell me how many hookers they’ve spent our tax dollars on this week you filthy hypocrites. Wanna reduce this nation’s debt? RESIGN!!! Not paying your salaries will help a lot and they can give that money back to us! And don’t worry about the recession hitting you; I’m sure all your corporate and Wall Street buddies will continue to line your pockets for years of faithful service to them and not to us.

chrissy3384 06/24/2010 6:16am

I agree with you 100% they want all of us to get drug tested (which I am clean as a whistle) then they should get drug tested and the hooker thing I bet they all spend that money on hookers and strip clubs.