H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

• sehall57 06/24/2010 5:32pm

Republican mindset? It is OK to send 5.8 billion to Afghanistan? Doesn’t that add to the national debt? We don’t need to worry about foreign terrorists when we have our own Capital Hill versions right at home doing more damage than any foreign enemy ever could.

They made the whole thing too top heavy to the point it would have even scared Casper. They should have only offered a safety net to catch the immediately affected (month or two) and then work on the rest later. You always deal with the immediate now and the future down the road.

Abaratarrr 06/25/2010 10:41am

the republicans proposed such a bill yesterday the democratic leader would not allow the senate to vote on the bill

• lordgotmilk 06/24/2010 5:35pm

Different parts of this have been stewing around in my head. Sure, this would be speculative, but stick with me for a minute.

If they want to require us to drug test for our unemployment insurance payments, then make it system wide. Also require those receiving any form of government benefits to take a drug test. If you fail, you lose benefits and have to pay for your own testing and complete a recovery program and since you failed once, you pay for testing for each check you get once reinstated. The savings of payments would easily pay for the help we need while also taking a stance against drug use by those receiving benefits.

I know…it would never pass….don’t you know, those people suffer from a disease?

• SelenaSaberWind 06/24/2010 5:36pm

Just remember everyone – if you’re angry about the shameless behavior going on right now in the Senate, DO something about it: Write letters to your reps, get your friends and family to do the same, and VOTE against those who are hurting us in the elections. They’re worried about “what the implications of passing the bill would be come election time”? Let’s give them a REAL reason to be worried… I will be voting against every single person who opposed the unemployment extension.

butterflyangel 06/24/2010 6:53pm

your not the only one who is going to be voting against the ones opposed it as well I live in a communtiy that consists of primarily republicans and the majority of my community are unemployed because of the major employer in the area went out of business because of this economy and from what im hearing from my former co-workers they plan to vote democratic next election or start writing in votes. It’s time for the republicans to be scared of whats in their own future with any luck we will start seeing them in he uneployment line.

Abaratarrr 06/25/2010 10:40am

Are you aware that there was a provision in this unemployment extension that cut social security benefits for retirees, I am willing to bet that you would also vote out anyone who would vote to cut social security benefits.

So I am with you on this one I will vote against all that voted not to help the unemployed and all that voted to cut social security benefits, in other words vote them all out.

• Star58 06/24/2010 5:45pm

I’m not angry. Just numb and scared.

sehall57 06/24/2010 8:54pm

I will certainly keep watching my “Theater” while sitting and living on the local bus bench.

whatsgoingon 06/25/2010 4:07am

You SHOULD be angry. “Numb and scared” is exactly how the top 10% of this country wants us “little folk” to be, not to mention “complacent and servile”. Fear and complacency will get us nowhere. At least anger can be channelled into something useful.

• ridinghero1990 06/24/2010 6:08pm

Everyone – relax. Something will pass in the next few weeks or heads will roll on both the Democrat and Republican sides. This whole thing is just “theater”. Keep calling, writing, posting… contact the news organizations and let them know what’s going on and that you want them to cover it. It’s not over until it’s over.

leslierickard 06/24/2010 6:29pm

i dont have a few weeks to relax in…my rent was due last monday(the 14th), my phone has been cut off already, and utilities are next…i put my last $10 in my gas tank today so i could go to my aunts funeral.

Abaratarrr 06/25/2010 10:36am

? did you not hear what reid said? Were you not watching yesterday when he would not allow for a vote on a stand alone unemployment extension bill? He said the unemployment issue is dead and that he will not allow another vote.

Are you saying Harry Reid is a lier?

• leslierickard 06/24/2010 6:27pm
    On December 7, 2007, Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, as a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, disclosed on the floor of the U.S. Senate that he had declassified three legal documents of the Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) within the Department of Justice that state: 1. An executive order cannot limit a president. There is no constitutional requirement for a president to issue a new executive order whenever he wishes to depart from the terms of a previous executive order. Rather than violate an executive order, the president has instead modified or waived it. 2. The President, exercising his constitutional authority under Article II, can determine whether an action is a lawful exercise of the President’s authority under Article II. 3. The Department of Justice is bound by the President’s legal determinations.

I know this isnt about unemployment, but explain executive order…the president most certainly CAN issue executive order. Google"rules of executive order"

leslierickard 06/24/2010 6:28pm

this actually pertains to Bush’s eavsdropping on americans, but it does explain the rules…

• cateyes2010 06/24/2010 7:11pm

Well, this is a blow. So, after it’s all said and done the people that have been unemployed through NO FAULT of their own will have to resort to other means of survival. People we’ll just have to go down to the welfare (social services) and apply for all the benefits it offers and bombard that system for money; shelter, food, medical expense and clothing. IDK…. I don’t get it. They would come off cheaper if they extend benefits, because most of the time unemployed getting $300 or more don’t qualify for food and medical expense through welfare; depending on the size of the family and the income guide line in the state. I’m just saying…, For the IF in Life.

• sehall57 06/24/2010 10:02pm

Everyone. All is not lost. All the Republicans succeeded at was not passing a “Cloture” vote which is necessary to break a filibuster (which the Republicans are holding steadfast to right now). Once they can break the filibuster the bill can be moved for a real vote. Back in October 2009 there was legislation that extended benefits until June 2010 and the Republicans used this stall tactic (filibuster) to stall the measure for 5 weeks. Once that was broken (cloture vote to move forward) all the sudden the Republicans were on board and passed it overwhelmingly. Keep the Faith and your eyes opened for updates. Maybe a job will open up and we can all get out of this Congressional S&M nightmare of webs.

jsaiis 06/24/2010 10:15pm

will they vote on it on friday or next week?

sehall57 06/25/2010 8:22am

I cant find any info on what is going on in the Senate today (Friday 6/25/10). My best guess is that this has been put aside until after the July 4 holiday. Congress goes on a week vacation starting today and won’t be back in session until Tuesday, July 6, 2010. This matter is probably going to be allowed to brew until then and after.

michaeldf 06/25/2010 8:33am

of course they need a vacation at the lake house for the july 4 week its patriotic.

Abaratarrr 06/25/2010 10:32am

Reid the democratic leader said he will not allow for a vote on a stand alone unemployment bill. As he proved yesterday by not allowing a vote on an unemployment bill that he new would pass. Ried said that he will not allow for another vote on the unemployment issue period. the issue is dead to reid and he has all the power.

So in short no vote Friday no vote next week, no vote while reid is still the leader of the senate.

• Jess01869 06/24/2010 10:36pm

On Cspan2 live, I believe the debate was going to continue today at 9:30 a.m. I have written to 10 Republican senators so far in the last 3 days. Going to keep on going. Funny I’m doing so as I jump back and fourth to another window to send resumes and online applications.

pray2010 06/25/2010 12:08am

it’s not humanly fair to treat us like this,why would the senates of our states the ones who voted no do us this way,we have kids,families to feed,we aren’t in stores shopping for Christmas we are barely surviving and our only means of that is our benefits,i’m currently in school and can’t seem to focus on passing so i can have better career opportunities to get me and my family placed into comfortable living.I’m only 30 years old and instead of enjoying my youthful years,me and my wife along with our 2 kids are suffering because you the government won’t let us breath,why is it you say show you a better version of the bill to shed some of the funds away making it affordable in the eyes of you who control for the most part the world.I would much rather have a job.GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU..AND TO THE SENATES WHO HAVE VOTED YES GOD BLESS YOU TOO..TO: PRESIDENT OBAMA WHY ARE YOU LETTING THEM DO THIS TO US,SURELY YOU HATE TO SEE US LIVE THIS WAY PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS CRISIS.

• MTeinert 06/24/2010 11:32pm
    I think its a good strategy to not take the one month extension because when the month expires the argument will start up all over again. I say we get this thing passed for the longer term. We’ve already went this far, let’s keep making a mockery of the republican greed until they give in!
  • AnnaSchaefer 06/25/2010 1:11am

This is totally inhumane! Who in there right mind wants to stay on unemployment? This is only a backlash slap in the face to the democrats and President Obama for passing the healthcare reform. We need to supply jobs first. What are these people suppose to do? Live on the streets? We always seem to have enough money for earthquake victims in different countries. America is always there first to offer help. What a disgrace that we can not and won’t help our own people first. I bet you are the same republicans who wanted u.s. money to help BP in the disaster they caused. This is a national disgrace, caused by you people that were voted in office to help us. You all should be very ashamed of yourselves. And definitely remembered on election day.

• whatsgoingon 06/25/2010 1:41am

I hear a lot of write letters, don’t vote for this person or that person. Bottom line is they already know how we feel. They have gotten many letters already. They didn’t go into this without realizing people are going to lose their homes, banks losing money due to people not paying for their homes. Don’t vote for dill or hole doesn’t really make them worry or do the right things. They are already in office and got their big pay checks, from our tax dollars, they don’t care if they get voted out they are rich and can afford to invest their money so they don’t have to work.

jackie2000 06/25/2010 3:03am

I’m new to this site, so they didn’t know how “I” felt, until today. I am writing every senator who voted “nay” to ask them to please reconsider and vote for the bill. I urge you to do the same.
    They NEED to know that despite their votes, we are still here and still exercising our American will to speak out and have our voice be heard.

I truly believe if these “nay” voting senators received an unprecedented strong surge of letters, they would do the right thing and listen to what their electorate is asking. Please write. We CAN do this!! :)))

whatsgoingon 06/25/2010 12:10pm

I don’t think they really care, they already know. Your right it doesn’t hurt to try and I will do it. But once I lose everything im ready to play nasty. I would be all about armed revolution and more people will agree with me once they hit the point of nothing to lose.

• jackie2000 06/25/2010 2:55am

ACTION TO TAKE TO CHANGE THE VOTE!!

I would ask everyone here who would like to see this bill passed to please click on the Tab on this page that says “Actions and Votes” and then click on the pie chart that says “Nays” for votes. You can click on each and every one of the Senators who voted against passage and it will take you to their page on this site. Look on the righthand side and there will be a link to their Senate page where you can contact them. I have copied and pasted the same letter requesting reconsideration of their vote and ask for passage of the bill to extend unemployment benefits. I tell them my story and address each to Senator _____ and state their name. If appropriate, I modify my letter to incorporate something that may be specific to them or their state.
    In any case, please write them and ask them to vote FOR the legislation.
    We ALL need to do our part. Thank you so much!! God Bless!

• loganstorm 06/25/2010 2:56am

Anyone sleep last night? I didn’t. I spent the night wondering how to tell my 12 and 6 year old boys we have nowhere to live come the 1st. Well at least we can catch up on our zzz’s when we’re all sleeping under the nearest bridge.

• tmsiii 06/25/2010 3:59am

Senator Bunning will not be the only Republican Senator retiring this year.