H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

mathewes48 06/24/2010 7:06am

I absolutely agree on the drug tests…not just for unemployment but for all government benefuts….wellfare, food stamps…I bet they’ll save a butt load of money and help the people the REALLY need it!!!!! I am an unemployed and single mother of two…I just finished school so I can find a job in a career field that will always have a demand, my only problem now is I don’t have enough experience….I just signed up with a temp agency that only deals with the medical field…hopefully they can help me out!! Times are VERY hard and don’t know how much longer I can keep a happy face for my kids benefit. I’m doing the best I can but it notg enough, if it weren’t for my parents to help me out since unemployment stopped paying I wouldn’t have lights, food and gas money. If they really care for the people they will do what it takes to help us now and not worry about the national debt…something THEY accrued…..

njcoolchik 06/24/2010 7:18am

Drug Tests for Unemployment is a complete waste of time, money and resources. A majority of hiring companies already have mandatory drug testing as a condition of employment specifically for insurance liability purposes.

Do you actually think that Illegal Drug Users get involuntarily laid off from their jobs, ON PURPOSE, so that they can collect a lousy 26 weeks of meager unemployment earnings to support their illegal drug habit? Do you have any idea how expensive drugs are?? I am barely scraping by with food and lights on and quite frankly cannot afford to pick up an expensive drug habit on unemployment. Surely I wouldn’t trick an HR Manager to let me go of a good paying job with medical benefits just so that I could sit home for 6 months and do drugs.

The very same Unemployment Insurnce we paid into for YEARS that is supposed to protect us during times like these? You are out of your damn mind.

mathewes48 06/24/2010 8:50am

Well, then it doesn’t apply to you now does it??? I’m talking about the lazy ass people that stays home popping out babies like its a career and using welfare, food stamps, medicaid to pay for them. You gonna tell me these people don’t do drugs!! Yea right…the baby daddIES are seling the shit buying the high dollar clothes, shoes, etc, then using welfare, food stamps, ABC vouchers….. Hell, they live better than the WORKING…..in my opinion the government needs to spend more time in people who abuse the system….its there for HELP NOT a way of life.

We have to take a drug test to get our check that we WORKED for….definately need to be drug tested to get ANY KIND of benefit!! I know I’ll pass….seriously..you think everyone on unemployment and other government benefits aren’t doing drugs….you’re out of YOUR damn mind!!!!

chrissy3384 06/24/2010 9:02am

Amen! lol

njcoolchik 06/24/2010 9:23am

Matthewses48 this topic and the bill in the Senate is about a proposal for drug testing for unemployment benefits. Not other state benefits. You are mixing apples and oranges here.

Do you know what unemployment insurance is? Look at your last paystub. It is an automatic deduction that is taken out of your pay to cover your portion should you need to use it. You PAID for it. Welfare and other state benefits are something entirely different. Do I believe for those benefits you should be drug tested? Yes because you can receive those benefits without a timeframe. Unemployment Insurance? No. It is ridiculous and costly to test unemployment receipients for drugs. After all in order to GET UI payments, you have to be involuntarily let go from your job. Keyword – INVOLUNTARILY.

njcoolchik 06/24/2010 9:24am

and oh yeab – through no fault of your own – including drug use.

mathewes48 06/24/2010 9:45am

First of all its MATHEWES……I know what the bill states I can read…I was commenting on CHRISSY3384. Its not really comparing apples to oranges….its a “benefit”…unemployment, welfare, foos stamps, etc..its all benefits and all of it comes out of our paychecks…so more like apples but different kinds….fuji, granny, gala.. I know this paticular bill about unemployment benefits…..I was putting in my 2 cents about all of it… my opinion…if a person collects benefits of any kind then they need to be tested!!!!!! If this goes through then more jobs!!!!! Money being saved by not paying people who use. Then they can move to the other “apples” and help people that really need assistance a chance instead of people that know the loop holes.

dgrobinson0226 06/24/2010 1:10pm

I know that we are all stressed, I have been out of work for almost 2 years. Returned to college for a new direction because I was told that as long as you are in school, you can continue to receive UB. My “past life” I worked in Human Resources. We do not pay any portion of unemployment. The first 26 weeks that we receive is paid for by our previous employer, the reason you can not receive unless you are let go involuntarily. The extensions are all federal, hence the reason we are in this boat. A boat that is sinking now. Those in Congress that have jobs, don’t care about us that don’t have one.

• SoSheVotes 06/21/2010 10:41am

I am disgusted that I expected the thousands of unemployed Americans to be high on today’s Congressional Agenda; however, when I tune in my television to C-SPAN2, it seems that across-the-aisle attacking of Supreme Court nominees trumps the hungry and the homeless! My husband (unemployed and missed the “emergency extension” by a week) and I were just discussing the ridiculous travesty that is occurring on Capitol Hill at the expense of patriotic, hard-working (yes, my husband had been employed since he was 17 years old until this past fall) Americans. He suggested we launch our own operative to remove ALL incumbents, and I jokingly researched it and found that there is a VOTE OUT INCUMBENTS DEMOCRACY (VOID) movement. If we really want to send a message to these out-of-touch politicians, let’s do it! Chuck them all and start fresh!

• rgreen001 06/21/2010 11:26am

This is really sad! Our Government cares more about other countries and illegal Aliens than its own Citizens.Gone are the days of proud to be American.

• pattyddddd 06/21/2010 12:54pm

Ok…so they say they want to add drug testing! Well wouldn’t that mean that they would have to add procedures and places to take this test. Oh My!!! does that mean it would take more weeks to complete this process. Lets not forget that this process may or maynot have flaws. If they want to add this process it’s fine and dandy but do it in the next wave and approve what we need now!!!! I’m a little tired of these politican playing with our lives!

• pattyddddd 06/21/2010 1:47pm

thank you loganstorm….that website was really good! I hope something does happen this week.

• plmcdowelltx1 06/21/2010 1:48pm

I am currently on Tier 3 (which has expired). In TX there is no Tier 4 but there is EB (an 20 additional weeks). I am raising two young children and have been unemployed for more than a year. The $392 I draw each week in unemployment is the only reason we are able to get by! I have worked, paid taxes and social security 30+ years. I am 25 years away from being able to draw social security, for which I am sure I will never see a dime due to government’s overspending and I’m not talking about overspending on unemployment extensions! I have also been a lifelong Republican but not anymore. When John Cornyn held the position of the Attorney General of Texas his office was absolutely no help while I was trying to recover more than $18K my exhusband owed me in back child support for my oldest child – now that he’s a US Senator, still no help. He and Kay Bailey Hutchinson will receive a nay vote from me come re-election time and hopefully from everyone else I can convince to do the same!

• MTeinert 06/21/2010 2:34pm
    I think it’s just hilarious how convinient it is to not pass this bill due to the excuse of the national deficit. All of a sudden the deficit is now a concern because the middle class needs a bail out. Who was complaining when we spent billions bailing out the banks who took that money to pay the fat salaries of these greedy ceo’s and pay for multi million dollar beach partys. How many billions of dollars a month to pay for a war in Iraq that seems to me is doing nothing for us? These greedy assholes in congress who dont want to pass this bill is because they dont want to stop shipping jobs overseas for free so they dont have to pay as much for labor and they wonder why there’s no jobs and millions of people are unemployed and they have the nerve to object on this bill and blame the democrats who are trying to fix this nation for racking up the deficit. That is just a crock if you ask me and why are all republicans sticking together to buy into this is beyond me?
  • monday239 06/22/2010 6:11am

There is welfare for the unemployed who have children, but the single unemployed are just out of luck. Myself, I was initially laid off in August 2007, found a job in April 2009 and was laid off that job in August 2009, found another job in August 2009 was laid off that job right before thanksgiving 2009. The job market is worse now. I am single over 40 and this is affecting my chances at a getting a job. It doesn’t matter what I have a college education in because the jobs I get are for $7.25 an hour. My vehicle was repo’ed two weeks ago, with one year left to pay. I have no way to pay my rent now and I am glad I don’t have a mortgage. If I rob a bank, get caught, all my worries will be solved. I will have health care, a roof over my head, meals .. guaranteed for about twenty years — much better than the outlook I have now. So, congress, go ahead and not give a 5th tier , just remember people pay taxes on unemployment and no one wants to hear congress whine Apr 15, 2011

leslierickard 06/22/2010 6:34am

I am a single mother of two, and a full-time college student. I do not qualify for welfare…beacause the unemployment I have received is considered “unearned income”. I also do not qualify for food stamps for the very same reason. My phone was cut off today, so its not looking like I will be getting a call about a job anytime soon. If this doesn’t pass my kids will be homeless next week, no job, no money…I really don’t know what to do. I have no family to help me out, I’m just stuck.

littleindian 06/22/2010 7:06am

I’m near 60 and have worked everyday of my working career. In the last 20 years I have worked for no less than 10 different companies as well as owning my own. I paid taxes, voted, served jury duty, volunteered civil services, ran for government, spent 13 years as a scout master and never put a burden on anyone. Now at my age I can’t buy a job and due to the thievery in the banking world I can no longer support starting a new company. I lost a $400,000 house and now live in a rented duplex in a poor neighborhood. Welcome to America 2010! Does anybody know what time it is……

• Ktula7 06/22/2010 7:51am

Just pass the damn bill already!!! We’re dying out here!

• nikki8712 06/22/2010 8:59am

I really hope they get their selfs together real soon. I have $27.00 left to my name. How will I survive.

carterpc 06/22/2010 9:14am

i worked in my job 37 years never collected unemployment. Id say my employers paid for my 99 weeks and then some. Sadly no one wants to hire us baby boomers that dont have a college degree and my heart goes out to the families struggling with this. This is disgusting that our government would try to do this to us..these people shouldnt get paid either and we are the ones who have made them rich beyond our wildest dreams. Their salaries are from taxes us hard working folks have paid and from money from lobbyists. they should be ashamed of themselves and our president should have the authority to override all of this political nonsense. I actually heard one of the politicians saying this was being done to make Obama look bad…SICK!

• unemployedwife 06/22/2010 9:19am

I can understand cutting off after Tier 4. That is extremely long term and you have had plenty of time to at least get a minimum wage paying job. What about those of us who haven’t entered Tier 1 yet? My 26 weeks dried up this week and without that I can’t even continue my job search. Next week I will no longer have a telephone or enough gas in my 35 year old piece of crap car (lost my car that was only 5 months from being paid off to repossession) to get on the internet to search. Next I will lose my rented home, because I already lost the home I owned earlier this year. Today, I am ashamed to be an American.

proudtobehiswife 06/28/2010 11:50am

I agree, 2 years is a very long time not to find a job. My husband was out of work for 3 years due to epileptic seizures, and finally had surgery to correct them 2 years ago. He was given permission to return to work a year after the surgery, and found a job not even two months later, and he makes a great living. He didn’t just submit resume’s online though…he hit the pavement, went in to businesses dressed professionally and handed his resume’s to the highest person available. He called back on every resume he submitted and requested interviews, and he’s educated. It is tough out there, no doubt about it. But there are jobs out there (however low paying some of them may be) for those who are willing to work them. I do hope that those who have only been on for 26 weeks though, are allowed the extension.

• LRSAYRE 06/22/2010 9:34am

I FEEL EVERYONES PAIN. I WAS LAID OFF A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO TRYING TO SUPPORT THREE CHILDREN AND MYSELF THANKS TO A DEAD BEAT DAD NOT PAYING SUPPORT. BUT I AM FINALLY IN A POSITION TO BUY MY FIRST HOUSE AND WITH THE CLOSING DATE DEADLINE FASTLY APPROACHING TO RECEIVE THE TAX CREDIT I MAY HAVE TO BACK OUT OF THE CONTRACT. WHY DID THEY ATTATCH THAT TO THE UNEMPLOYEMENT EXTENTION IS BEYOND ME. BUT I AM PRAYING FOR ALL OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES THAT THIS PASSES SOON. I WOULD NOT WISH THIS ON MY WORST ENEMY.

• klig103 06/22/2010 9:55am

PASS THIS BILL ALEADT!!

• meekin30643 06/22/2010 11:29am

Right see this is my complaint. I can understand that the deficit is major, but we have no issue at all throwing money to the war on terror, homeland security, and funding other countries. We however cannot seem to find it possible to help out our own citizens who worked for extended periods of time before the recession. I worked inthe automotive industry. I was laid off on January 20th of 2009. I am currently on Tier 3 because I lived for several months off of savings and 401k money to avoid having to go on unemployment. Now I cannot qualify to go to Tier 4 because of the deadlines. I am being punished simply for trying to NOT use unemployment and consuming my savings instead. Now that I need the unemployment because the savings is dry… it is not available!

• njcoolchik 06/22/2010 11:51am

It is utterly ridiculous to pass a bill that creates the Tiers with clear-cut defined guidelines which were assured to the American People then purposely withhold funding for it. How do you promise to the American People who have paid into Unemployment when it was at its lowest for years then yank away the funding for the benefits? Just exhausted Tier 3 and the additional week back to Tier 2. According to the already established Tier 4 and EB benefits, I should be eligible for those benefits but can’t because the state ran out of money and the Federal Government won’t fund them for the programs they promised we would be able to take. In the meantime we are afraid we are going to wind up on the street after getting turned down for excessive forebearance from Bank of America. The HAMP program which was also supposed to help us too. The government creates these programs which are SUPPOSED to HELP PEOPLE which are nothing but mirrors and ruses. POLITICS as usual.

• Allana1 06/22/2010 1:31pm

Everybody please go to the websites of those that are holding out snd start emailing them, if they have a website or email to reach them, also email your state and local Reps and see if they can’t put any fire to their counterparts. I would say write but stamps cost money and a letter takes 7-10 days to get in their hands in D.C.. Also start emailing your newspapers and local TV stations. Especially TV stations that have the anchors that do human interest pieces. I feel we are getting swallowed up by the disaster in the gulf. If they don’t pass this bill by Friday we are stuck until after the 4th of July! Don’t just bitch and moan about it do something! We can do so much more if we act together! I pray everyday for a job or for them to pass this damn bill!

dani20090 06/22/2010 1:56pm

I agree. We need to flood our State Representatives, local new stations and newspapers with e-mails and/or phone calls. We must take action and do everything possible to get this bill passed! I too pray every day for a job or for the Senate to pass this bill to HELP thousands and thousands of unemployed workers.

tmo520 06/22/2010 2:33pm

i agree, allana1. we all have to do this or we will continue to be screwed and none of us can afford this. i am going to email everyone political person i can think of and all local tv and newspapers. we have to raise holy cane and time is urgent. do this NOW!

Allana1 06/22/2010 6:53pm

Oh and everybody on this board that lives in Nebraska needs to email Ben Nelson. He calls himself a Democrat but he is voting with the Republicans, but he can do that because his state has one of the lowest unemployment rates. They need to seperate or create a bill specifically for unemployment and leave it at that. But for a new bill to be created you need to get on your Reps! Come on everybody I know we can do this together!