H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

JohnB 06/27/2010 9:16am

Plus alot of us lost money in our retirement plans, all because of mismanagement by Wall St and Washinginton. We had money set aside for emergencies like this, but even that was taken away from us.

• NeedJobs 06/27/2010 8:12am

I strongly feel we will hit a double dip recession if the unemployment support stops. The reason why is because the unemployed makes up a huge chunk of the American work force which helps to keep our economy alive and strong. I think that the Senators whom oppose the unemployment extension need to be educated. Both Sen. Jim Bunning & Orrin Hatch should not be US Senators. Drug testing the unemployed will prove Hatch is an idiot. Why not drug test people on welfare, SS Disability, etc.? There are many people abusing the system that are not part of the American Working Class. The unemployed is the “American Working Class.”

• SelenaSaberWind 06/27/2010 1:04pm

(pt. 2)

“I find it completely and totally unacceptable and irresponsible of the Senate to not treat the unemployment crisis with the utmost dire attention and pass H4213 as a #1 priority, giving the millions of people like me who are suffering a chance to survive. It simply is inconceivable that there was a bail-out, costing billions of dollars, to help save corporate giants like AIG who were in their failing situation through their own fault, and yet there seems to be no help for the tax-paying citizen who has been forced into their situation, despite doing the right thing.

I urge you with every hopeful fiber of my being to understand just how dire our situation really is and make passing an extension for Unemployment Benefits your #1 priority. Help those who depend on you, pay your salary, and determine if you get voted for again.

But above all, help your fellow Americans.

Sincerely yours,
    C [Last Name]"

Sunshine2010 06/27/2010 4:56pm

Great letter Selena! I too have been sending letters to both sides of the aisle. Basically, it all boils down to the fact that they want to have a bipartisan stand off to see who will come out head in the polls in November! Sad isn’t it, that all they think about is themselves.

• SelenaSaberWind 06/27/2010 1:04pm

(pt. 1)

This is the letter that I just sent to every Rep I could think of. I encourage all of you to write and KEEP writing to everyone you can get a contact for. Pass on the word and get everyone you can to do the same.

“Hello,

My name is C [Last Name], and I am one of the millions of unemployed legal citizens of the United States. Since losing my job on February 26, 2009 through no fault of my own, I have been depending on Unemployment to help make ends meet. Before I lost my job, I made a decent amount of money. I was going to school to finish my degree. I was a responsible citizen. And I have held a full-time job now for the past 11 years, since I was 15yrs old.

But when the deadline came to move onto the next tier (for me, Tier IV), I still had approximately $100 left in Tier III and thus was unable to move forward. I have now been without any income whatsoever since then and rent is due on the 1st of July."

• MTeinert 06/27/2010 2:27pm
    If people want to have Jobs shipped over seas to save money, than get out of America and live where you’re taking our jobs, You corrupt #$*@s. Change your citizenship to another country! You can count on the American people not missing you including the small buisness owner who counts on the income of others,(WHO LIVE IN AMERICA)to succeed.
  • bhrodeoaz 06/27/2010 2:39pm

Again Every body LOOK UP S-3520 IT IS THE STAND ALONE BILL FOR THE UNEMPLOYMENT EXTENSION. IT WAS INTRODUCED ON 6-22-2010 Just a reminder that the unemployment is not dead YET

codemoney 06/27/2010 4:48pm

But a lot of us don’t have the 2 to 3 months it will take for this bill to go from beginning (where it is) to passage.

• dankennedy73 06/27/2010 2:45pm

Actually, RichGilmore, no I was right. There was a lot more going on during Reagan’s administration than the Air traffic controllers union mess. You had local unions as well as regional unions that were not being allowed to strike under threat of incarceration. Ask anyone working in the West Virginia coalmine at that time. And what about the railroads industry, or any of a number of others. I was a kid living in West Virgina when the Strikes during the eighties finally did erupt and thanks to Reagan and his thugs in Congress a lot of people suffered.

• Sunshine2010 06/27/2010 5:08pm

Yes bhrodeoaz, there is a stand alone bill S-3520 for the Unemployment Extension on 6-22-10, but it went to the Finance Committee because the Democrats do not like it; therefore, this one will probably die as well. You see, it really is a fight for power between the two parties at this point for their own selfish goals. If all of them really care about their constituents that are destitute they (both parties) would work to pass the stand alone bill S-3520.

• Jess01869 06/27/2010 11:06pm

I applied at 10 places 2 and a half weeks ago in just 1 week and haven’t gotten any call backs and I’m 28 years old, haven’t made it to even Tier 2 cause I missed the deadline by 5 days! When does Congress go on their 4th of July break? Aren’t they IN session today (the 28th)starting at 9:30 a.m.? Is today the final day before the break and are they trying to vote on an extension of any kind? I’ve been reading articles stating mixed things. Very confused. Also If Obama can’t bypass/over-ride a bill that’s already been voted on, can he not pass the S-3520 since it has not been voted on yet? What a hold up!!

• Jess01869 06/27/2010 11:10pm
    I just hope I can keep my phone on tomorrow and stall my landlord and so much for paying my $40 overdraft fee so their goes my bank account. Already had my car insurance default to non payment and there goes the $200 monthly fee I pay in surcharges to keep my drivers license that I’ve been steadily paying for the last 2 years straight. What a train wreck…next up…utilities. All my money went to these sort of things when I was employed at the job I was “let go” from of 6 years. Seems like even utility companies,landlords,insurance companies, the DMV, tax office, and even banks are getting screwed out of money! Way to go Congress. I feel terrible for people going through this that actually have families, it’s hard enough even as one! I hope something passes SOON for the sake of America!
  • ridinghero1990 06/27/2010 11:17pm

Lets just get a clear idea of what is going to happen next instead of a hundred posts with different information. This week, the House is going to work on and hopefully pass a standalone unemployment extension. Since 1 or 2 Republicans said they will support it, and with the mounting pressure to pass something, I don’t see why this can’t pass successfully. Does anyone know where to find the most up to date information this week?

leslierickard 06/28/2010 5:14am

I just went to one of the sites from google that lists the schedules for congress this week, it did not have one for the senate, but did have one for the house…there is nothing on their schedule about unemployment extensions…nothing…hopefully this will change, but for now I think I am giving up any hope…

Sunshine2010 06/28/2010 7:38am

Ridinghero1990, to get the most up to date information on the bill(s) and the Senate’s schedule and Congress’ schedule go to the Thomas Law Library at:http://thomas.loc.gov/. This site has all the update information. Let us all say some prayers that they find some compassion in their COLD hearts to help us Americans that are in need?

• Jax26 06/28/2010 4:23am

Genesee – you’re nothing but a forum troll. Setting aside an ethical debate, extending unemployment is the right thing to do for the current economy. ~30M people are unemployed and, based on the last number I saw, 40% of those are in the federal tier system – so ~12M. At an average rate of $300/week, that’s ~$3.2B that is being spent in places like grocery stores, paid to landlords/mortgage companies and utilities. Now take that $3.2B out of the immediate economy and what do you think will happen? As volume slows and profits drop, businesses will have to layoff workers – thus leading to more unemployment. From everything that I have read, about 80% of the economists believe that without the unemployment extension, the economy will backslide into a recession and that the costs will far exceed the projected budget impacts of the extension. It’s not about compassion, it’s about math. Trying basing opinions on facts not Fox News or GOP lip service. Karma is a bitch so I would be wary.

Jax26 06/28/2010 4:25am

Just to clarify, that is $3.2B per week – additional impact will be to local governments based on sales tax rates – say ~175M/week if 60% of the money is spent on taxable items at an 8% sales tax rate

Genesee 06/28/2010 7:21am

My opinions are not based on FOX or GOP lip service, as I’m fairly sure that most of them would disagree with me on this issue. You seem to have a liberal, populist view of people who disagree with you. Something tells me that you are the one who is influenced by lip service. Could it be your leftist union leaders? “Progressive” politicians? Marxist presidents?

Jax26 06/28/2010 8:38am

As far as my opinion, it’s based on simple mathematics not lip service. That and the opinion of virtually anyone who knows about Economics (including myself as I have a BS in Economics from the U of I). No economic policy is based solely on compassion. There is a cause and effect mechanism behind it. Basically, by pulling this money out of the current economy, it will result in a backslide of which the impact will be much greater than the projected cost. I’m not sure what alternative you suggest as there are 5 applicants for every 1 available job. As far as Republican’s noble effort to minimize the deficit, it is simply an effort to make Democrats look bad. They took the deficit from a projected 2009 – 2012 $850B annual surplus (projected in 2001) to an annual deficit of ~$1.2B. That’s a $2T swing. They don’t care about the deficit, they just want the Democrats to look bad.

Genesee 06/28/2010 9:54am

The fact that I couldn’t care less about your eduction in economics may come as a shock to your ego. The fact that a compulsory “benefit” forced on the citizenry by the government, controlled by the government, and potentially punted around as political football by the government, only reinforces my opinion that they shouldn’t be in control of such matters. Moreover, it reinforces my opinion that people shouldn’t put their faith in government to “handle” such personal matters for them. It is, again, embarrassing and pathetic.

littleindian 06/28/2010 10:12am

Based on your profile picture you clearly can’t make a decision as to what color you are. Most of us here are truly Red, White and Blue but we’re tired of watching self centered individuals (such as yourself) have a vote in something as disdaining (per your comments)as the operation of our government. I’m old enough to remember when we took a position against the things we felt wrong rather than simply watch them happen. As to the words “embarrassing and pathetic” they are an excellent description of you.

Jax26 06/28/2010 10:38am

Trust me – nothing that you can write will affect my ego. I would feel pretty pathetic (to use one of your words) if I let a virtual blow-hard bother me. I’m just curious about what you think the right course of action is since you seem to have a very defined opinion. First, the benefits is not “forced”, it’s voluntary to apply for unemployment. Second, it has to be administered by the government – as no independent agency could handle the sheer volume of managing the process of both collection and dispersion. Third, this policy is more about economic stimulus than compassion. What is pathetic and embarrassing is that you haven’t present any real ideas as to what is better. You post about how people should take care of themselves and that if they can’t/don’t that they are somehow inferior, yet you obviously have very little understanding at what is trying to be accomplished through the unemployment program and even less empathy for those who find themselves in this situation.

Genesee 06/29/2010 9:59am

The right course of action is to stop subjugating your personal responsibilities to the government. Until then, your fate is in their hands. Apparently, and ironically, you have no problem with that because you feel that they are the only ones who can handle the “collection and dispersion” process. Thank you for that glaring, Marxist opinion. LOL! Here we have 20+ pages of complaints on how they are handling that process. You reap what you sow. GoBama!

dankennedy73 06/29/2010 9:04pm

It’s useless to argue with this coward. Genesee is just parroting all the conservative ignorance that was taught to him/her/it by uneducated parrents or other such adults in youth.

anna1974 06/28/2010 6:22pm

Watch out, you just might be the next to lose your job. If there is no extension of unemployment, everyone will be effected even you and your big mouth. So stop judging people unless you walked in their shoes. This Country is going down because of jerks like you. Nothing further.

• pray2010 06/28/2010 4:46am

can someone tell me where the S-3520 bill has disappeared to from this site?I did a search on here and found only comments of the bill.

codemoney 06/29/2010 10:05am

• judyanne 06/28/2010 6:51am

Where are the jobs the stimulas package was supposed to bring about? Why has our President not been concerned about the issue of Americans being without jobs. He is more concerned with the passage of SB1070 and wasting time and money on sueing the state of Arizona. Pitiful leadership!

• pamtech70 06/28/2010 7:16am

Well, This is my 3rd week, without my U.E. and when my place of unemployment closed last year due to lack of sales etc…I tried really hard to find another job in my field…There was none, so when the D.O.L. sent put those letters stating that we need to go back to school, that this is the perfect time, I finally decided, since my 1st degree is not working out in finding a job, I decided (we decided, hubby & me) that if I can get my unemployment while I hit the books once gain, that we could sacrifice, change our lifestyle and within a year or so…I would have a degree in the medical field and We would get back on track..No gonna happen NOW

pamtech70 06/28/2010 7:17am

….We are barely getting by, along with EVERYONE ELSE in my situation…I guess I am gonna quit school, We cant afford it, The drive is 45 min. one way..Gas etc….$$$$$ And to think I was making A’s and I was trying really hard to make a better life for my 2 kids/family…I live in Georgia, and I voted for my representatives..and they VOTED “NAH”(NO) for the EXTENSION???!!! What do I do now? No one is hiring in my area in my field, still today…I am gonna apply at a grocery store or walmart etc….I have no choice anymore…..and as of last week, they were not hiring either… I am trying very hard to think positive, but I am losing this battle…