H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

• leslierickard 06/25/2010 12:46pm

okay…this is the latest…the dems in the house of reps. are thinking about introducing a new bill that would have the unemployment benefits as a stand alone bill. It is an associated press article released about 12 mins. ago. Itsaid the house dems. are tired of the games being played in the senate and if they have to introduce a new bill, then they might just do it…the only prob. is by the time it gets to the senate, they will probably have breaked for the fourth of july holiday too early to get it to the pres. to sign.

leslierickard 06/25/2010 12:55pm

…and an update to that…both republican senators from maine now support a stand alone bill….

kozmicblossom 06/25/2010 1:36pm

can you post a link to this article…I can’t seem to find it

leslierickard 06/25/2010 2:35pm

this is one of the articles…i googled sen snowe and got several

dedgar 06/25/2010 3:37pm

Check out S.3520 and support it. It’s better than nothing.

sehall57 06/25/2010 7:46pm

Search “S.3520” in this sites search bar. It looks like stand alone legislation has already been introduced. The language reads very similar to to what wasn’t passed (this bill) with regards to Unemployment. Basically it strikes the old expiration dates and inserts new expiration dates and there is something to do with PAY-AS-YOU-GO budgetary obligations which I don’t quite understand what it actually means. CHECK IT OUT!!

• sstone02 06/25/2010 1:40pm

I think Abraham Lincoln said it best: “A house divided against itself cannot stand.” And that is exactly what is happening. 9.7% of the American people our unemployed as of June 12th 2010. The U.S. government is suppost to be for the people by the people, and they’re proving to me that they are only for there own agenda. I hope the American people learn from this.

• Star58 06/25/2010 1:57pm

I really feel sorry for the unemployed Republicans out there. They are taking one for the team. Collateral damage I think they call it. You have to suffer so that the Republican party will win in November. It’s sickening. I would respect them more if the voted the way they really feel instead of what the party wants them to feel. At least some of the Democrats have a backbone. They say this is all for the good of the people. I guess that means the rich. We are just a means to an end.

RichGilmore 06/26/2010 6:44am

OK, I guess I’m one of the people your talking about. I’m not unemployed but I am waiting for this bill to pass too! I don’t like the partisan garbage both sides are fighting! The Republicans have all of a sudden got their fiscally responsible religion back, and while it has its place I agree the unemployement measure is not the place to do it. Star58, if you haven’t been paying attention, 3 measures have been introduced by the republicans who would have had a unanimous majority to let the unemployment benefit stand alone. That is the piece of this that is so troubling to me. The dems want it all, and the Reps want to hold the line Stebbano, and Reid are the two holding up Unemployment benny’s. Don’t take my word go to C-span and look at floor speeches from the week of 6/21

• Abaratarrr 06/25/2010 6:36pm

“Senator Olympia J. Snowe of Maine urged Democrats on Friday to put forward a separate bill to help people who have exhausted their jobless benefits.”

“Separating the unemployment insurance provisions of the extenders bill and passing it as emergency legislation acknowledges the urgency of helping those who continue to look for work,” Ms. Snowe wrote. “Unemployment checks inject money directly into the economy, invariably assisting in the economic recovery we all agree must be accelerated.”

“John Gentzel, a spokesman for Ms. Snowe, said that Democrats were holding the unemployment benefits hostage in their effort to pass a larger piece of legislation, and that they had not heeded Ms. Snowe’s advice weeks ago to deal with the jobless aid in a separate measure.”

• pray2010 06/25/2010 9:45pm

senators think of the deficit of our households,the light bill,the rent,the groceries,the car note and it’s insurance,now in front of all that look at our babies,children,grandchildren,single parents,elderly people,the people who has served and died protecting this nation..this is the importance of what you done for this present..look into our future with this and understand we have none unless you stop and really think.We didn’t all wake up and say let’s quit..You senators did you all quit the jobs we trusted you with,but we are the ones who have suffered..When you see your kids and grand kids just remember there are more kids out there like yours but the difference is they smile without this for us Americans our kids don’t.

• JohnB 06/25/2010 10:11pm

For those who think the unemployed are living off the tax dollars of others, I’m not living off your tax dollars, I’m getting back what Wall St and Washington took from my retirement fund when they crashed the market and bailed out Wall St. It’s part of MY money coming back to me.

• whatsgoingon 06/26/2010 2:13am

I am confused with bill S.3520. It last action was on june 22. They voted on hr 4213 since that date. So to me it looks like the S.3520 is not doing any thing and I am confused why they said on june 25 they will not seperate it and here it’s been seperated prior to the 25th?

Abaratarrr 06/26/2010 10:03am

It is up to reid as to if a bill can be voted on or not and he has said that he will not allow a stand alone bill to be voted on. In the past many from both parties have given into bills they did not like because they new people were suffering.
    4213 passed the senate in march and had passed the house I want to say in December, they new it would pass back then, they have since added crap to the bill so that it wouldn’t pass to stir up crap for the upcoming election.

The same thing happened in 2008 Reid nor Pelosi would not allow for unemployment benefits to be voted on unless it was attached to spending bills that gave money to their constituents. This is not a democrat only thing, I read on here that the republicans played the same game with unemployment benefits in 2002 after the economy took a crap do to 9-11, Bush wanted an extension but the republican house and senate held the unemployed hostage until bush agreed to give money to their constituents.

whatsgoingon 06/26/2010 11:09am

Thats what I thought. It just seemed weird every one getting excited about it I though I was missing something. Thank you.

• Genesee 06/26/2010 6:21am

Why do we keep feeding this pig of a government?

• jillyb2 06/26/2010 8:19am

My family and I are PRAYING that this issue will be resolved before the Senators go on their wonderful one week vacation for the 4th of July. We have been without an unemployment payment for 3 weeks now. It has become exhausting to try and figure out what will be paid today and what is going to have to wait or worse, not be paid at all. My husband is a combat veteran from both Operation Iraq Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom. We have taught our children to love and respect the USA but doing that lately has become increasingly difficult considering the fact that the leaders of this country are making us suffer and are sending us a message that they just don’t care. The 4th of July has always been a special holiday for us but at this point, I can’t even bring myself to hang my flag.

leslierickard 06/26/2010 8:44am

hang your flag for your ocuntry…not for your senators. My father served during vietnam and i too have always been proud of his and every other soldiers sacrifices and the sacrifices of their families. I have emailed the president and let him know that the government may make me sick to my stomach, but i still live in the greatest nation and proud to be an american. I have gone since May 30 with a total of $65…i applied for state assistance yesterday, i will get a total of $262/month in money, but $525/month in food stamps…i now understand why people on welfare (in my state it is known as K-TAP) are always so broke, but appear to eat healty.

leslierickard 06/26/2010 8:44am

I would rather have a job, but since my phone was cut off, and I have no gas in my car…I had to turn to the state for help. My caseworker said they had been turning down people because they had unemployment, even though they expired their tier..but since I had gone a month without any mine somehow got approved. It is sad that we have to go through this because of our government, but it was not our country. I still support america and its troops and thank your family for the sacrifices you made.

• peytonsplace007 06/26/2010 9:15am

Looks like Olympia Snowe is the only hope, but now Harry Reid doesn’t want to pass a stand-alone unemployment bill. We need to put pressure on him.

• Star58 06/26/2010 9:31am

RichGilmore
    I have been paying attention. Here’s what Ive learned.
    1. Repubs wanted everything paid for (Fiscal Responsibility)
    2. Everything would have been paid for EXCEPT FOR EMPLOYMENT EXTENTION
    3. Repubs still voted no
    4. They now look bad
    5. Repubs now want a standalone bill.
    6. If Dems don’t pass it, They’ll look bad
    7. If it is passed it STILL WON’T BE PAID FOR.(Fiscal Responsibility)
    8. Why didn’t Republicans vote to pass in the first place?

And around we go.

Abaratarrr 06/26/2010 9:43am

that sums it up pretty well,
    the answer to number 8 is because the republicans new it would be political suicide for them to vote for a bill that cut social security benefits to retirees, old people that live on social security benefits are a big part of the republican base. If they had voted for that bill there would never be another republican elected again, the AARP is a very powerful organization and the senior citizens vote in blocks, there are actually more voters drawing from social security then from unemployment and they are the wrong group of voters to piss off.

RichGilmore 06/26/2010 10:05am

Star58:
    both sides are trying to make the other look bad. But, Olympia Snowe said it best: Until taxes are lowered for small businesses, the creator’s of 80% of all new jobs, people are going to be out of work! And she said explicitly, she doesn’t care if unemployment relief is fully offset or not. Most believe everything should be paid for, but given the timeliness of the unemployment relief already expired and many provisions in this bill expiring on the last day of the month, they were willing to break out the UPI and they would all vote “yes” and the Republicans said they would also add an extra month so it could be sorted out further. It is the “pork” that they cannot swallow. It is the tax increases on small business America cannot swallow or adding another tier to unemployment isn’t going to do you any favors because you’re going to be right back at square one when they run out! If you want to create jobs, you gotta ease up on small business!

• patsy1950 06/26/2010 10:18am

Yes, the Republicans offered a stand alone, but with a 30 day extension only! Since the last extension expired 6/3 that would extend it until 7/3. Then where are we again?…back to the battle between Dems and Repubs. Fingerpointing is not going to help us at this point. We all need to keep writing the Senators, President, Reps, mass media, insisting on a stand alone bill now! I can’t help thinking that this is just grandstanding in the Senate and that they will pass an extension…then again, it could be wishful thinking.

• gagefamily 06/26/2010 11:03am

With all of the phony drama, posturing and number crunching surrounding the extension of emergency unemployment benefits, and expression of concern regarding the deficit impact, why have I never heard any recognition of the fact that most of us now cut off from needed EUC still pay federal income taxes on the benefits? The federal government and Treasury are “clawing back” part of what they are giving out to tax paying beneficiaries, unlike foreign aid and other off-shore assistance. Explain that one senators and representatives and honestly and openly reflect those numbers in your deficit impact reduction calculations. GET THIS EXTENSION DONE AND SIGNED BY THE PRESIDENT BEFORE YOU GO ON YOUR NEXT, ENJOYABLE HOLIDAY VACATION PAID BY TAX PAYERS!!!

• Filtered Comment [ show ]

JohnB 06/26/2010 12:30pm

The actions of this government and Wall St have wiped out the retirement savings of millions of Americans. The government caused the problem.

Genesee 06/27/2010 5:27am

JohnB, I agree that the government is the problem.

domer4 06/26/2010 12:38pm

“Why is everyone so dependent on the government to smooth out the rough edges in their lives? The whining for government benefits is embarrassing and pathetic. The federal government wasn’t formed to act as your personal piggy bank to bust open whenever you run into financial problems”

Genesee,

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. Have you ever been out of work for an extended period of time. Talk about embarrassing and pathetic.

jillyb2 06/26/2010 1:09pm

Do you realize that the only people on Unemployment Benefits have lost their jobs by “NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN?” I really hope you can keep whatever job you have or you will end up in the same position as we are and then we’ll see how you feel. I agree…talk about embarraassing and pathetic.