H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

• babydinosaur 06/28/2010 8:18am

some of you guys as of late sunday/eary-current monday are delusional. if you read all across google news, reputable sources are saying that the “dodd-frank” bill is going to be passed this week, YES based upon a few things, but the news has changed its tone from writing in a “looking gloomy” style to “more positive”.

Snowe stepping forward has really blessed us.

leslierickard 06/28/2010 8:28am

unfortunately, that bill has nothing to do with the unemployment extension…it is just another name for the wall street reform bill that was hammered out on thursday night. Dodd and Frank just simply put their names on the bill as a matter of historical reference…

• ridinghero1990 06/28/2010 8:41am

When will we hear news of the House preparing a Stand Alone Unemployment Extension?

littleindian 06/28/2010 8:55am

brings to mind the phrase …when pigs fly.

Sunshine2010 06/28/2010 8:58am

Ridingher1990, Bill S-3520 (which is the stand alone bill for Unemployment Extensions) has been sent to the Senate Finance Committee last week. You can keep up with its progress as I have done and many others by going to the link I posted earlier (Thomas Law Library). Everyone that is concerned about this bill should be writing to there Senate Representatives and even all Senate Reps, Republican and Democratic. We need to SLAM them with mail until they listen to us “little people.” You can also go to www.change.org and sign a petition that has been circulating! Everyone needs to get involved, not just BLOG.

Sunshine2010 06/28/2010 9:06am

All of you please go to this web page which is the Finance Committees’ page and write these people that don’t mind putting money in their pockets but do not care about hard working Americans that have been put out in the cold! http://finance.senate.gov/about/faq/ Bombard them with you piece of mind regarding Bill S-3520!

• ridinghero1990 06/28/2010 9:09am

Why would the House be working on a standalone unemployment extension, if a similar bill was sent to the Senate “last week?”

• leslierickard 06/28/2010 9:53am

Okay…here’s the lastest update…one of the Colorado blogsites has reported that Sen. Stabinow WILL bring the stand-alone bill to the floor TODAY. It also reinserts the $25 stimulus money that was removed from the larger bill.

• Spam Comment

• Abaratarrr 06/28/2010 10:17am

The bill includes a $25-a-week supplement dropped as Democrats pared the jobs bill back to meet the requirements of moderate deficit hawks, none of whom ultimately voted for the bill. It does not create any new tiers of unemployment benefits, instead restoring Tier IV benefits to the jobless. (Congress added or expanded Tiers I through IV last year, as part of its stimulus plan.)

Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine), who refused to cross the aisle for the jobs bill — objecting to, among other things, the closing of a tax loophole for “S corporations” — has said she will vote for a standalone UI bill. She urged Senate Democrats to take one up last week.

• peytonsplace007 06/28/2010 10:28am

The new, stand-alone bill has officially been introduced (see link), by Senator Stabenow (sp) and 4 other co-sponsors. Senator Snowe is supporting it. BUT, with Senator Byrd’s death…instead of needing just one more vote (w/ Snowe’s vote) it now will need 2 more Republicans to vote for it. We need to call need to pummel every Republican with calls, faxes and emails to support the bill. It’s voter anger - and some media attention-that’s spurred this on!

I’m working now…but I wasn’t 7 months ago so I support everyone here who is still out of work and need UI.

leslierickard 06/28/2010 10:43am

on behalf of everyone here who so desperately want this passed I want to thank you, a working citizen, for supporting this.

• Abaratarrr 06/28/2010 12:05pm

The Michigan Messenger is reporting that Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow plans to introduce a standalone bill today in the Senate to continue the federal extended unemployment benefit program.

Democratic Sens. Sherrod Brown (Ohio), Al Franken (Minn.), Jeff Merkley (Ore.) and Sheldon Whitehouse (R.I.) are cosponsors of the bill.

• kaykay76 06/28/2010 12:45pm

I have been looking for employment. I ask that you think of the American people. Today my gas was shut off . Got a call that if I don’t make a car payment then they are coming to take my car. I have two children to take care of . You say you are thinking of our grandchildren. Well think abt the ppl that are suffering right now and the kids that have to sufer too . Do you think they really like to see their parents worrying all the time abt how things are going to get paid and if they are going to have to move. I read in some articles where ppl left comments abt having to split up their family. WE ARE AMERICAN PEOPLE! WE ALL HAVE WORKED MANY YRS! All we are asking if have a heart . Put an end to all of this .
    Vote for this bill. Let fellow Americans be able to rest knowing that the government does care. I urge you to pass this bill. The first of the month is nearing in a few days and alot of ppl are going to be homeless.
    Thank you for your time. I will be praying for you all.

• Jess01869 06/28/2010 1:54pm

I guess writing Henry Reid and putting pressure on him to pass this bill as a stand alone is the thing to do at this point since he could either make or break this bill. Write Senator Reid!! :) I hope this passes!!!!

jillyb2 06/28/2010 2:33pm

Thank you for the idea. I just sent him an e-mail urging him to pass any type of stand-alone bill. I hope everyone will do the same!

• mikeqhawaii 06/28/2010 2:36pm

i keep reading reports of companies not wanting to hire individuals who are unemployed….one of them being sony. an article i read this morning stated that it’s printed in the “want-ad”…“NO UNEMPLOYED CONSIDERED”. can you guys tell me about that? who, what, when, where and why? of all the things i’ve seen happen during this crisis, hearing companies take that position is the most unbelievable and unexplainable. i’d love to understand why and if possible, not favor such companies with my business.

whatsgoingon 06/29/2010 3:33am

Wow, that is really sad. Now that angers me since I have tons of their products. I support them and here they will not hire someone that can start today and appreciate having a job. That just makes me wonder how many companies are not willing to hire unemployed. I am also curious of thier reasoning for this horrible decision. See if I buy their products any longer. A company that can not help out people in the Contry they sell to is a company that can go out of business as far as I am concerned.

• MrHappy 06/28/2010 3:01pm

Does this bill do away with Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay for Vets?

I will not hold my breath for this to pass.

• Star58 06/28/2010 4:05pm

June 28. Have been borrowing money for gas and groceries. Today I went out my door and saw two police cars in our complex (I live in a townhouse). They were evicting one of my neighbors. Their furniture is still sitting out in the yard. Next month It will be me unless I get some kind of aid. I am getting very depressed. I pray I can get a job or some relief.

• anna1974 06/28/2010 6:34pm

The Unemployed of America will remember in November who ruined their lives and starved their children. Repukes are going down, big time. It’s time to clear the House and Senate from the one who destroy this Country and are killing an American Dream.

Abaratarrr 06/29/2010 8:41am

I know that reading the media pieces on this subject can be confusing but if you have been following these bills you should no that it is not the republicans that or stopping the unemployment extensions, it is not the democrats that are stopping the unemployment extension. The unemployment extensions are being help up by one individual whom poorly represents the other members of the party he belongs to. Harry Reid is the sole reason that there is not an unemployment extension in place.

• Jess01869 06/28/2010 11:28pm

Some companies actually have fired their employees and it’s been ruled as “wrongful termination”…these same companies have these very employees “eligible for rehire” but are “blacklisted” despite their rehire status…I would like to see a bill pass in regards to people who fall in this bracket. How many people has this happened too that could get their job back that are on unemployment but “blacklisted”? There needs to be changes in the “at will” employers policy…laws that guard employees from getting fired solely based on the employer not liking them and making up an excuse to fire them. Just a thought because I know a few people who fall in this category that can’t find a job who would rather be working at their actual previous jobs instead of collecting unemployment and waiting for an extension!!

whywasilaidoff 06/29/2010 5:42am

I was laid off even though I had more seniority than most of my co-workers. I believe that I was singled out because of my age and the fact that I was making more money than they were. Loyalty means nothing so why did I work so hard and bite the bullet everyday just to go to a job where I knew they had it in for me. Today it is all about the dollar and how cheap will you work for me. Of course I would rather be working at my old job because I was bringing home a paycheck and had benifits. I was paying my taxes and contributing to the good of our country. What good did it do? Where did my money go? Please give us what we earned!

• dgrobinson0226 06/29/2010 2:25am

I just read that the House will vote on a stand alone extension today, should it pass, it will give the Senate time to take up the measure before the July 4th recess. I pray something is done this time!

• whatsgoingon 06/29/2010 3:59am

Everyone just needs to ignore Genesee. You guys are getting upset over some form troll. His purpose is to piss everyone off and were just putting the fuel on the fire. We are giving him exactlly what he wants. Arguing with him is like arguing with a two year old. Well, actually a two year old argues better than him. Just ignore this idiot and don’t give him the satisfaction. We have bigger problems to worry about other than dealing with trouble makers with no grounds to base their opinion on.

• njcoolchik 06/29/2010 6:45am

Good Morning to all esteemed wealthy policitians who refused to pass the very wise economic employment extension. How are your stock portfolios looking today? Hmmm from what I see on MSNBC.com looks like the market is down -217.66 as of 11:0037am for a lack of economic outook. Awwww did you lose money?? Gee, how sad. How we unemployed can relate. Hope your investments that you made with my stolen retirement, 401K and losses in my home really doesn’t continue to occur due to your filibuster. How ironic that would be, wouldn’t it?

But if it does, when you check your investments and lament your financial losses, think of each and every one of us who are out of a job and are suffering worse because you deserve those loses times 100. Then when we vote you out of office in November, you will then realize exactly how important meager unemployment benefits are. What goes around comes around even if you are a Senator.

• leslierickard 06/29/2010 6:50am

The House will be voting on their version of a stand alone bill today, it is called the Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Act, I have not found an ID number for it yet, still looking. It will be the 13th bill up for consideration today which means it will probably not be discussed until after 4:00 pm eastern time.

unemployeddad 06/29/2010 7:03am

@leslierickard – I believe this is the one you are referring to H.R.5618 – To continue Federal unemployment programs.

• njcoolchik 06/29/2010 7:06am