H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

sackerman4 06/16/2010 12:16pm

I agree there are cheaters in every system. I, unfortunately, am one of the unemployed. I have been searching for work and have been unsuccessful. However, I do have problems with some of the proposed H.R. 4213 and I have mixed feelings regarding the passage of this bill as it is written. I am a Conservative on most issues and I do not like the entire bill as is. However, I hope that the extension will go through, because thousands of families are in great need.

loganstorm 06/16/2010 12:22pm

I also agree that there are cheats in every system, and they don’t care that they are hurting those of us (and our children) who are in true need. I am also a libertarian/conservative and don’t agree w/ the full bill. I don’t agree how they lumped it all together to begin with. Our country is in such turmoil and there are no easy answers- but I do know there are so many families in dire straits, including mine. I would rather NOT have to depend on this… I would rather be working to support my family and teach my children not to depend on the government, but dammit, I need this right now.

GeneralFault 07/23/2010 1:22pm

Yes, take that money from NASA and the thousands that work for it and the companies that have contracts with them. That should help the unemployment rate. Take it from science and knowledge. I hate that we spend so much money inspiring kids to become engineers and scientists that never do anything for society. I would rather that we keep the nerds in other countries.
    We would all be better off if we were a little less educated and interested in the universe we are a part of. What has it done for us lately? And nothing ever came from things like the moon landing or learning to orbit the earth. We don’t need the technologies used for stupid things like jet airliners, communications satellites and GPS. Even if we did, everything important about space has already been discovered and used. There is nothing new up there; it’s just a little empty space with a couple of lame planets floating around.
    This is the short-sighted idiocy that prevents solutions from even being discovered.

dankennedy73 07/23/2010 1:40pm

So let me get this straight, you are in favor of government not only allowing but actually encouraging the outsourcing of American jobs which puts millions out of work an leaves a greatly reduced number of jobs in our country. and you further support the government when after having done this, does nothing to help those Americans who it forced into unemployment. Way to stand up for your own people.

GeneralFault 07/23/2010 1:56pm

The page breaks up the comments. I cannot tell if that was directed at me. If so, then the sarcasm didn’t properly come through. I greatly support NASA. Glen, Alderin, and Warner Von Braun were some of my childhood heroes. And I grew up to be an engineer of sorts (software engineer) with a passion for space and physics in part because of them. As a result, the Federal Govt. has obtained several hundred thousand dollars from me that it may not have without the inspiration.

dankennedy73 07/23/2010 1:40pm

by the way, are you aware that the fewer people who are employed, the less currency flows into our economy and the less taxes can be collected. I would be much happier if the goverment would force American corporations to bring back our jobs, then we wouldn’t need this. But Conservative Republicans don’t want to go against the big bussinesses that contribute to their campaighns. If you want someone to blame, look at the bigger picture. look at all the politicians who allowed and even encouraged outsourcing, like Reagan and Bush Senior and Junior as well as countless others in congress, most of whom are conservative republicans.

GeneralFault 07/23/2010 1:17pm

Yes, take that money from NASA and the thousands that work for it and the hundreds of companies that have contracts with them. That should help the unemployment rate. Take it from science and knowledge. I hate that we spend so much money inspiring kids to become engineers and scientists that never do anything for society. I would rather that we got our nerds and the lame stuff that comes with them from other countries. Wouldn’t you?

GeneralFault 07/23/2010 1:17pm

Besides, we would all be a little better off if we were just a little less educated and interested in the universe we are a part of. What has it done for us lately? And nothing ever came from things like the moon landing or learning to orbit the earth. We don’t need the materials and technologies used for stupid things like jet airliners, instant food, communications satellites and GPS. Even if we did, everything important about space has already been discovered and used. There is nothing new up there; it’s just a little empty space with a couple of lame planets floating around, right? We certainly don’t need any more big Hollywood money or entertainment from thousands of movies and documentaries on the subject. What a bore anyway, right?

GeneralFault 07/23/2010 1:25pm

Edit: Sorry for the repost. I was trying to meet the character limit and kept pushing post attempts to the next page.

dartcanyon 03/12/2010 10:57am

This website would not come up. It throws an error message.

• Filtered Comment [ show ]

richc 03/13/2010 9:59am

opus,,this isnt the site to be opposing anything,,,this is for unemployed people by no fault of their own to get and receive information to help their families. What your too ignorant to understand is that most of these people want to go to work and have been looking for a job like myself, for sometime now and if they cut-off funding they will be forced to get welfare, which has been around for many many years. So before you start adding comments how about doing some research first cause it makes you look pretty stupid!

MTeinert 03/18/2010 7:32am
    + 16
    I don’t appreciate you calling me a deadbeat because i got laid off from my job of ten years making more money than you and your mother combined because of the real deadbeats who take loans that they don’t pay back. Now i have to settle for this unemployment check. You’re a deadbeat that has no idea what is going on so i suggest you keep your prissy mouth shut.
    rachel002 06/15/2010 4:35am

I have to agree with you on your comment. I was laid off from my place of employment 8 months ago and have been sending out resumes like crazy on a daily basis. I was making way more than what I get on unemployment! Do you think I love being on unemployment? Ummmm NO! But I have to in order to survive and keep a roof over my head. These people making the harsh and untrue remarks are people that have a job but have NO IDEA hard it is for the unemployed. Unless these people have or are going through hard times like us do not need to be leaving comments unless they have “been there and done that”. We need to take a look at why employers aren’t hiring new employees? It’s becuase they cut back on all their budgets and learned to work with “less” due to the recession. Why doesn’t congress force employers to hire a certain amount of “new” employers each month. Good luck in your job search and I wish you and your family the best! :)

aloop 07/18/2010 5:23am

I think what you say about the fact that it’s hard to even get hired in a fast food job right now is true. Business has slowed down, and employers are trying to work with less people on the clock at any given time. Even at my work, we are asked to clock out when there are no customers and all of get take multiple breaks a day because things are a lot slower (I work fast food right now). I live in a college town and am hoping that when they get back I’ll be able to pick up more than the measly 20 hours a week I’ve been getting.

satdog 07/19/2010 6:53am

The president today 7/19/2010 had a media talk on the unemployed and had several of unemployed indivduals from 2 years to 1 year etc. He stated that people have exhausted their benefits and need help from the congress to help ALL Unemployed in this still jobless economy. It is now up to the congress to get a Bill to help provide a lifeline for all unemployed. The unemployed can now hold you congress accountable to any measure that deviates from what the president said about the unemployed. ALL Unemployed need a Bill to help provide additional lifeline for at least an additional year in this very slow recovery jobless economy. They need to do more that add deadlines they need to add additional weeks, Tier 5 or Tiers 5,6 to help all unemployed. Period

CsHroCKs 07/23/2010 3:04am

I’m one of those who exhausted all of them benefits and had to beg and borrow from friends and family to pay my bills. I found a job a few weeks ago but was let go after 6days. I was told I wasn’t the guy he thought I was. What a bunch of B.S.! I’m now so far in debt I’m thinking about ending it all. It’s sad that I get these thoughts but
    unless something happens soon maybe a tier 5 benefits package. I just
    may end up homeless! I cannot borrow anymore, without knowing I can pay it back. My phone and internet will be shut off soon and my landlord will be evicting me. That sure won’t help finding a job!

GeneralFault 07/23/2010 1:31pm

Buy, borrow or if you must steal a sailboat and take an adventure. Or put your last 50$ toward a tent and a canteen, put an “abandoned” sign (or nothing at all) on your door, and find a 500 mile dusty trail. Risky, but “ending it all” is guaranteed. Never give up. You always have options. Others may not like your choices, but almost any choice is better for you than the one you suggest. And in the end, it’s your choice. Creditors will not follow you to the peaks of Alaska or the mountains of Montana. Nor will they find you in the vastness of the Atlantic.

Allana1 07/27/2010 4:30am

I don’t know where you are but there is help available. I know nobody likes public housing but that is an available housing option and Catholic charities and such will help. You need to get to your local Department of Human Services. Also tell them about your mental state because you are in a severe state of despair if not clinically depressed. Call 211 that is usually the number for United Way. Don’t give up!

• kim2009 03/15/2010 4:54am

From http://progressillinois.com/quick-hits/content/2010/03/12/number-day-16 MediaMaven:
    (post 1 of 3)

I recently received a message regarding this board.

I am from a DC PR agency, and while I cannot professionally endorse what you are trying to accomplish (conflict of interest purposes), I can provide you some information to help your cause.

I have read some of the great post regarding amending HR4213. I would like to advise another vehicle to get your message out there – a press release. All a press release needs is a:

Headline (center space)
    Summary (goes directly under heading – center space)

(double space)

Body

Contact Info:

• Spam Comment

• kim2009 03/15/2010 4:55am

(post 3 of 3)

All anyone has to do is to go to each site and set up an account and post their release.

Make sure to include “key” words in the body of the release (i.e., Senator Reid, Obama, unemployment benefits, Pelosi, hardships, crime, etc.) – this will ensure more visibility and to be picked up by the media.

You can also go online to see samples of press releases.

This site has some very intelligent and articulate people – so I know that creating a solid press release will not be a problem.

Share this information on every UI board and all the Facebook contacts – and tell all to post a release each week until a tier 5 is created.

I received a message about this board from a reporter, who in turn forwarded it to me – so your media outreach is working.

Get luck to all of you!

• kim2009 03/15/2010 7:39am

This article is a must read for those who want a Tier 5 extension.

• tybeedac 03/16/2010 12:34pm

I know that many people are unemployed and have been for a very long time. I am in Tier 1 and I will not recieve any benefits when my 1st tier expires in May 2010. I do believe that I can find a job, but without any income it will become impossible. Unfortunately, my husband can’t help because he is a self-employed contractor, that has been not had much work for the last 2 years. I don’t want to rely on the government to feed me and my family, but right now we don’t have a choice. Our congressman (mine – Jack Kingston) really need to step up and help middle class Americans get back on our feet. I am currently working on re-training and updating my work skills, but I need more time.

• jellybeanmachine 03/16/2010 7:25pm

What is meant by extend the filing deadline? I am in Tier 2. My benefits ends in April. If this bill passes, will I be able to file for Tier 3 — which I am not eligible for now because I was laid off five days after guideline requirements.

• NYER566 03/17/2010 6:38am

This bill allows everyone to move on to tier IV. Nothing past tier IV :(

• NYER566 03/17/2010 6:40am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEDDTxRrtK4….. You Tube Tier V to survive! Put this on any website you can, twitter, facebook or any site people look at, its gotta go viral!

MsDubya 03/22/2010 1:29pm

Is this a workable link or are you asking for everyone to get on Youtube, facebook, twitter, etc., and complain? I just clicked your link and it didn’t work.

What you try’n to say? LOL.

richc 03/22/2010 3:24pm

APascarella1 03/24/2010 6:37am

you know what i just realized. my roomate who got layed off before me and on unemployment before me will be collecting unemployment longer than i will because of the dates we fall on for our last filing. the system is messed up. i wish we could just vote all these idiots out and replace them with normal people, not self indulgent jack asses. oh well.