H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

gantoine 07/20/2010 12:09pm

60 votes is what was needed in order to pass and we rec’d 60.

minimoe 07/20/2010 12:16pm

Yes 60 votes is what we needed in the initial vote to block the filibuster.. However gantoine keep in mind that the Senate still has to do the actual vote.. And for that one we only need 51 votes

• wes00 07/20/2010 10:03am

Just for the record guys… I was also watching CSPAN and we did indeed get the 60 votes needed to move this bill forward..and I’m happy to say that this was the hard part. Praise God.

• FLeigh 07/20/2010 10:04am

So how long do you folks think it will take before the results of this vote reach the people?

lordgotmilk 07/20/2010 10:14am

They have to do the actual vote on the bill. They have up to 30 hours to do so, but only need a simple majority to pass it. Then, since it’s different than the version that passed the House, it has to go back there for a vote. The House is waiting on it, so it should pass through the House fairly quickly. I read somewhere that it has to go back through the Senate again for a vote again, but I’m not sure about that part. Then it goes to Obama’s desk. Once it’s signed, it depends on how quickly the fed and the states get the funds dealt with and checks mailed.

It’s not a “tomorrow” fix, but at least it’s on it’s way and it’s a little easier to tell people “I will pay you back as soon as the check comes”.

minimoe 07/20/2010 10:30am

Actually there should be no reason it would have to back to the Senate again after the House votes on it again!! Thankfully lol

• thumper 07/20/2010 10:13am

;-)

• minimoe 07/20/2010 10:36am

now the million dollar question is are they going to vote again today in the senate or are they actually going to make us wait untill tomorrow and in that case would push the House vote to Thursday at the earliest

• mikeqhawaii 07/20/2010 10:41am

you know “lordgotmilk” – i hope that more people like goodwin is voted in come this november and 2012. if more of those crusty old soul-less bastards are voted out and replaced by people with passion and dedication maybe this country will start moving in the direction we all need it to. there’s far more wrong here than partisanship. it’s time for changes.

i’m going to miss the posters here. throughout the last month and half i’ve read your stories and kept up with what is happening in your lives. regardless of what side you fall in this issue remember the anger and frustration you’ve felt since benefits lapsed. remember it this november and in 2012. make sure the people you feel screwed you hear about it and feel your anger.

good luck and aloha to all.

• minimoe 07/20/2010 11:06am

“WASHINGTON — Senate Democrats, with the help of a pair of Maine Republicans, broke a GOP filibuster this afternoon and set up an expected vote late tonight or tomorrow to approve an extension of unemployment benefits for the long-term jobless.”

“Benefits would be good through November, and retroactive to June 2. The vote this afternoon was to begin 30 hours of debate, and will require another vote before it goes to the House, which is expected to approve the measure on Wednesday”
    (quotes from boston.com)

So I would venture to say that actual vote would definitely be tonight. This is GREAT NEWS FINALY my friends!!!

DBM 07/20/2010 11:45am

Yes, great news finally! but let’s not forget what those “Nay” voters did to us!

• travling 07/20/2010 11:45am

i live in a state that has 10% unemployment but get unemployment form a state that has 6.5% unemployment. will i still be able to get my tier 1 from that state?

• vote4whoandwhy 07/20/2010 12:15pm

99ERS NEED HELP TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

minimoe 07/20/2010 12:37pm

I think, and Hope for your sake that they will try to take care of that next… Maybe trying to do a Tier 5..

Anyone elses thoughts on that?

• michaeldf 07/20/2010 12:23pm

Yeah It passed…Everyone jump up and down now that we will get our unemployment, what’s sad is that most of you will drop off and go about your life until November. Don’t get me wrong I am greatful for the passage, What concerns me that this bill has so much extra BS in it, thanks Mr Reid. Comments about Jrhill and Republicans just shows how little people understand about where the money is being spent and who is trying to get funding for their pet projects hidden in a bill to " help the unemployed". Even Obama’s press conferance in the rose garden yesterday made me sick, do not believe everything you hear. I think the proper term is “sheeples” become informed and understand how your government and the people who are in it work before making stupid comments. Hey its the American way spend now and have someone else pay the bill…

• whywasilaidoff 07/20/2010 1:20pm

Topic: Ed Shultz just said on his show he’s going to bat for the 99er’s. I saw this on giveusourmoney.org. This site has alot of information for us too.
    The fight is not over. The 99er’s need our hope. Who knows when this economy will turn around. We might be in the boat with them some day.

• brokechristine 07/20/2010 1:32pm

Well we’re half way there…I pray that everyone here gets the job they need so “WE THE PEOPLE” no longer have to beg for scraps from the masters table. Please do not forget those reps on both sides that made this an unbearable journey for us all. My heart breaks for the 99’ers. Don’t forget those left behind in this mess, if you can help a neighbor- do so. I too will miss the support we’ve given each other during this time. Save the site to your favorites and check in won’t you…getting an unemployment check isn’t getting a job. prayers for jobs- to you all!

• UnemployednHouston 07/20/2010 1:50pm

I cannot believe the speech McConnell gave against the unemployment extension before the vote was held. Arrogant, pompous, self-righteous, out of touch with middle income class America – these are the nicest adjectives I can use. Middle class Americans are the majority of the tax base. We pay his salary, yet, he would deny us our unemployment income.

C-E-L-E-B-R-A-T-E We got the 60 votes. Now I can buy gas to look for a job, put food on the table, and pay my mortgage until November. I have already emailed Senators Collins and Snowe to thank them for crossing the aisle to vote with the democrats.

I can’t wait until the elections come in November so I can vote against those politicians that voted against my unemployment extension.

• minimoe 07/20/2010 1:51pm

ok I have a question.. Read this quote here from an article I just found.
    “Individuals who have not been receiving aid will be paid retroactively. Individuals who had already used all of their available benefits before the end of the last extension will not be receiving any retroactive pay.”

what does this part of it mean? (Individuals who had already used all of their available benefits before the end of the last extension will not be receiving any retroactive pay)

Im confused over that sentence… Anyone?

Here is th link to the article incase you need to put into context – http://www.newsopi.com/us/unemployment-extension-vote/3139/

• Star58 07/20/2010 2:24pm

G,

I see. So you don’t like the idea of Medicare. Didn’t they think that FDR was socialist too? Giving people a handout when they didn’t work for it. How long did it take to get out of the depression. About 10 years…that can’t be right. It should have taken 1 year. So when I’m old according to you I should just lay down and die if I don’t have a pension. (I did but had to use it when I got laid off to survive) You are right. We should go back to when the children worked in sweat shops and women begged in the streets if their husbands died or couldn’t work. (sigh! the good old days)

• Jess01869 07/20/2010 2:52pm

YES-VERY CONFUSING!(Individuals who had already used all of their available benefits before the end of the last extension will not be receiving any retroactive pay)-Yeah what does that mean!? My very last payment was on June 7th for $242 from Tier 1. I’ve been making my payment requests bi-weekly since as directed by Texas Workforce Commission. So this means I don’t get retroactive pay then?

leslierickard 07/20/2010 3:11pm

I think it means that if you have expired all of your tiers, you will not receive any pay…

minimoe 07/20/2010 5:24pm

Well ya that would make sence, but why dont they just say it like that then lol

ridinghero1990 07/20/2010 4:58pm

If you only completed Tier 1, you will now move on to Tier 2, 3, 4…

• brokechristine 07/20/2010 7:33pm

We have all taken the time to take a stand here and email and call the **it out of every Rep there is – I would strongly suggest we email Susan Collins of Maine and also Olympia Snow of Maine for doing the right thing. Thanks should also be extended to Munchin for putting Goodwin in Byrd’s seat- they did the right thing. On the other hand- you’ve got some briarwood named Mitch McConnell of KY who is as stubborn and a government mule and his buddy Bunning who deserve a hearty- kiss my unemployed ass- oh yeah you too Mr Ben Nelson of NE (D) thanks for the hold out?- what did you gain. Go to the very top of this screen and hit votes on this issue and send the appropriate thank you’s and the appropriate f u’s.

• gramps 07/21/2010 2:50am

star58
    How did you get that out of what I said. I said policies He is putting in place now. I am older and want you to have the same benefits as I do. The way he is wasting our borrowed money is scary.I lived through the depression as a child and a penny for candy was a big reward.
    I planned to work a few more years but now feel the jobs should go to you younger people. Don’t tell me what I think.

Star58 07/21/2010 8:58am

I’m sorry if I misunderstood you. Saying “Not the way he is miss-using our money and putting policies in place that are SOCIALIST in effect.” I just assumed that you thought social benefits that the government has provided us, ie. Medicare, Medicaid. Aid to Dependant Families and all other programs like it were socialist. You are entitled to your opinion. I would just like people to give the man a chance. 18 months is not enough time to undo almost a decade of spending. In 50 years the 100,000 thousand dollars the Reps say our children will owe won’t be worth 100,000 thanks to inflation. Let’s agree to disagree. Good luck to you and God Bless.

Star58 07/21/2010 9:13am

And maybe I didn’t make myself clear. The above programs were once thought of as being Socialist and a waste of the taxpayers money. Government was getting too big and was not in the business of giving handouts. I guess I just dated myself :)

• LosingHopeInGOVT 07/21/2010 5:26am

The time it took to get this bill passed by the so called ruling elite makes me wonder why in the technology age we cannot make a major change to the constitution and get rid of the representatives ability to vote. It would be so simple to have the first direct democracy since ancient times. Each person could get a voting device and then each week you would have that week to vote yes or no. Simple majority would win. Talk about putting the power back in the hands of the people again literally! I mean are we really expected to believer that so called “Professional” politicians are needed to “represent” our votes? These people do not Represent us. They rule us and keep us happy enough to not gather out pitch forks and knock down the castle doors while keeping us poor enough to keep them in the castles! Of course in order to amend the Constitution “they” would have to call a convention and vote themselves out of a job! Not going to happen. I wish we could do that though!

lordgotmilk 07/21/2010 6:27am

Sure, your idea of a direct democracy would be doable, but also could be easy to manipulated by anyone taking the time to do so. The biggest problem with it is that the majority of the public do not want to spend the time to view and determine where they stand on an issue. They want to pick someone that represents them as closely as possible and then walk away. Back in 1776, the politicians weren’t “professional” politicians. They were farmers and business owners that knew what the people needed because it was their own needs too.

I think a way to work it could be done by us, If we could just find local people to put into the elections and then back that person, not matter what. If we could get at least 50% of the House and Senate filled with regular people, not groomed politicians, then we’ve got true representation. Limit how long they can keep office to make sure that our representatives don’t get too comfortable in “business as usual” and we’d see real change.