H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

kevinelliott 06/20/2010 12:57am

You got it. That should actually be a job REQUIREMENT! Some experience showing that they know how to run a tight budget due to tight times. Shouldn’t a government that has a steep deficit and a huge national debt be run by people who know how to fix a budget and run a tight ship smoothly (and without putting the people at risk), and not fatcats with deep pockets who have no incentive to actually improve anything?

• ufuknjakoffsincongress 06/16/2010 4:05am

My eyes are wide open, I know who our leaders are that represent the unemployed!! My fellow-unemployed, come Nov, plz do not vote ignorantly…To those that bash us, we will not forget..congress continue dick’ng around, you are only so lucky we dont have the money to visit you personally..I’m so sick and tired of you mtherfckers!! YOU ALL are causing undue stress and turmoil, no jobs for the quantity of unemployed, yet you continue to lie and say “it’s getting better”, umm NO, and repugs..if you think your getting the next available seat, NOT when you throw “WE THE People-THE UNEMPLOYED” under the bus!! ufuknjakoffsincongress!!!

• BillSherlock 06/16/2010 7:22am

Here’s a thought-start sending empty boxes to our “beloved” elected officials (senate & house)-maybe they will figure out that ‘MOVING DAY" is coming and they better start saving their $$$$ for a u-haul. I’m also sending them the address to the local unemployment office. Don’t get mad-just get even!!!!

• tambo 06/16/2010 8:11am

Please tell me why politicians wait until the last minute to pass this? Extension IS necessary but we do need a solution. Until we have the solution, extend the benefits so we don’t have angry mobs out there. I’ve been reading a lot of blogs out there and there are some serious people looking for work who can’t pay the bills. Take away unemployment=starving families and more homeless. Extend it till the end of the year and in the meantime, find a solution to this growing problem. If not, we the people will vote for new politicians who new ideas.

• tybeedac 06/16/2010 9:34am

I am also one of the long term unemployed. I have two college degrees and 15 years experience in my field. Finding a job that even comes close to my old pay, is almost impossible. I have become one of the middle aged unemployable people. I have skills. I work hard. I want a job. Not only do we need longer extensions of current unemployment benefits, we need a real solution. I am tried of being poor. My husband was a general residential contractor. He hasn’t had real work for a couple of years. What I want is the government to provide small business loans with stimulus monies to people like us, so we can create or buy our own small business,hopefully end our joblessness. With the loss of income over the last few years, our good credit is gone. With a car repossessed, and we have many unpaid bills. Our credit score is in the toilet and through normal routes, we can never get any money to start a business. We are worth the risk, and we don’t want to live like we have anymore.

kevinelliott 06/20/2010 1:03am

The banks are hardly even lending to small businesses and entrepreneurs with outstanding credit, history, and personal capital. And yet, people who have been let go at no fault of their own, are now in a situation with destroyed credit, and no foreseeable job in the near term. They’re fully capable of starting a small business to offer something they’re wildly good at, but can’t possibly find funding because of the debt and destroyed credit. I know this situation well.

Until government starts to really appreciate small businesses, and create a path to help worthy people a way to repair that credit and eliminate the debt, I can see this being a problem for many more years to come.

• Walnut12 06/16/2010 10:33am

This bill not passing today for some reason doesn’t suprise me one bit at all. I have paid my taxes for 20 years and never collected unemployment until this past year. I just exhausted my first extension today and the guy on the phone tells me no one has any idea as to if I will get my tier 2 extension. It figures right us Americans that pay are way and do as we should are always the one’s left in the cold. While Congress plays with our lives and gets richer by doing so. How is is that we have money to help other countries but when it comes to helping our own we are broke. I am sorry but I am severly frustrated and this bill needs to be passed one way or another. To Congress, just remember every extra day that passes by millions of peoples lives spin down the black hole we call society in America today. Help “US” to live our lives! Figure this out soon.

kevinelliott 06/20/2010 1:00am

I know exactly how you feel. I sit wondering the same.

• zorayamckee 06/16/2010 10:34am

Oh my gosh!! this is so confusing! so when do we know if this passed??? i am a mommy of 5 and i also have a college education my husband lost his job and now its been hell trying to find one!! we need this to survive i don’t know what were going to do without the unemployment help.. no one knows what it is like to look into your little boys face and tell them you don’t have the money for a pair of new shoes for them because his are so worn!! it brakes my heart and i hope everyone can understand!!!

Wormwood 06/16/2010 10:46am

It has been voted down, rejected by the senate. Hundreds of thousands of people will be without money now. Unable to pay bills, and keep the economy moving. We are headed for a double dip recession, there will be more layoffs, and you can say this is the start of the second greater depression.

zorayamckee 06/16/2010 10:54am

omg!!! that is awfull!! i am in tears..i have no words to express how i feel!

loganstorm 06/16/2010 11:22am

They aren’t done voting on amendments yet (watch directtv,ch 351) so how can u say its been voted down??

tmo520 06/16/2010 3:15pm

i’m trying to follow this bouncing ball, but can’t seem to keep up! so there has not been a final vote yet? are you saying that tomorrow they will vote again and this time it will be minus the “stimulus” $25/week “extra”? OMG – i just don’t know what will happen if they don’t extend this. i guess we’ll all be filing for food stamps, welfare, medicade/medicare and whatever else is out there. i’m sick over this and can’t even sleep. to bad i don’t have a job with health benefits so that i could go to the doctor! OMG

kevinelliott 06/20/2010 1:06am

All of those programs are already having problems too, so a flood of people on these “lower level programs” will most definitely trigger further issues.

kevinelliott 06/20/2010 1:05am

This assumes people even have a television service! In my household, this was one of the first things to get cut off to save money and live way under our means.

• nikki8712 06/16/2010 10:58am

Question…when will they pass this bill and release the money?
    I just received my last check.

• jourdanzion 06/16/2010 12:01pm

The us senators who voted against this bill have valid reasons not to. But the people who are unemployed and cannot find a job needs the help. I’m really glad I have no one to feed but myself but what about people who have famalies. We need help then the 99ers who have exhausted the tier program.

loganstorm 06/16/2010 12:10pm

I agree to what they will be offering tomorrow- to back out $25/wk in order to pass the bill. I pray it will be accepted.
    I’m an unemployed mother of 2 who’s first 24 weeks of unemployment just ran out. I haven’t received any extensions yet, but my family will suffer tremendously if not passed. I have 2 degrees and have been looking daily for 6 months and its just not there.
    I keep reading that I am expected to ‘move to where the work is’, etc. If only that easy! If I can’t pay my current rent, how am I expected to afford to move, pay 1st/last/dep etc. for a new rental? Who’s going to rent to someone unemployed? Am I expected to pull my kids out of school, take them from their comfort, stability & friends and drag them down too? C’mon, think about it! It’s not that easy or affordable to just “up and move where the work is”… Also, think of the economy if everyone moved?? Crazy, irresponsible thinking.

sackerman4 06/16/2010 12:23pm

Loganstorm, I wish you and other families good luck. I pray that this country will turn around, but until we vote these fools out of government we will stay in dire straits. Let’s keep our fingers crossed that the bill will pass.

• jillyb2 06/16/2010 4:57pm

I exhausted my Tier 2 benefits a week ago. I am now going on my second week of no unemployment benefits. My husband and I are trying to figure out how we will survive if the Senate doesn’t come to an agreement soon. It’s ridiculous that a lot of this comes down to pure politics and us US Citizens are forced to suffer for it. This bill should have been passed by June 2nd at the latest and here we are, June 16th and it has still not been resolved. My husband and I love this country. He is a combat veteran from 2 different wars so we are a very patriotic family but for the first time in my life, I feel that this country is letting us down.

tmo520 06/16/2010 7:05pm

i am a veteran myself, jillyb2. i don’t agree with this entire bill, however, it still needs to be passed TODAY. i will received my last check on the first 26 weeks tomorrow. my husband had to file for unemployment last week. we’re totall screwed if they don’t pass this. does anyone in the government read our comments on this site?

domer4 06/17/2010 6:10am

So they did not pass the bill again!! Un friggin believable. I just completed my tier 2 and I am eligible for tier 3 when these politicians get their head out of their a**. But it’s ok for our president to send 400 million to Palestine for aid and relief. Yes 400 million, I did not believe it at first but went on-line to verify. But thousands of Americans can’t pay their mortgage, utility bills and whatever else. The trickle down effect of this is going to be disasterous for this country.

jillyb2 06/17/2010 7:12am

I hope someone is reading this. Every blog and website has the same comments on this subject. We are suffering for this. PASS THE BILL ALREADY!!!

• sehall57 06/17/2010 8:03am

Have you heard the latest? The unemployed need not apply. In this economy, just sounds like a modern day variation of population cleansing. Instead of Auschwitz, its America and instead of Hitler its America’s employers who are doing the cleansing.

sehall57 06/17/2010 11:56am

I thought we were fighting terrorism. Looks like we are fighting ourselves. The terrorists new weapon of mass destruction? – sitting back and watching America implode on itself.

• Unemployed1 06/17/2010 8:45am

This is unreal! I watched some of the Senate on CSpan and they do a lot of sitting and standing around. All the do otherwise, is argue about how each party is wrong. Why does it have to be about what democrats or republicans want? It should be about what we as americans want and need. I am not working and exhausted my 26 weeks. I did not realize they were ending this week, so now I have no money. I also thought that it would be extended since I was approved for the 599 because I am attending college. I called to find out why that did not kick in. I was told that I have to wait and see if I get this other extension first because I have to exhaust all other possibilities before i get the 599 extension. So as far as I know, I will get it, just not sure when. The politicians dont care, they have money and their bills are paid! I know there are many of us in the same spot here, I hope it all goes through and soon.

sackerman4 06/17/2010 11:42am

Like you, Unemployed1, I was so busy trying to find work, I did not realize that my 26 weeks were up. It is terrifying to think that in two weeks, my bills will begin to go upaid and my mortgage will be in default.

I have a feeling, though, that H.R. 4213 will be passed. But, I hope it will be soon. We are all feeling the pinch and we are all scared.

Maybe the politicians can kick in some of their “kick backs”.

• ladias 06/17/2010 12:32pm

I made minimum wage as a waitress and loved my job. But when my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 brain, and lung cancer, I quit to take care of her. When she passed away I started receiving unemployment benefits. I have been searching for a job for a year and six months now, and still nothing. The unemployment I receive gets me buy month to month, and without it I don’t know what I am going to do. I believe congress should make a decision now!!! Help us already!!

• Widestance_Politics 06/17/2010 3:43pm

Congress will either come to their senses or they will be forced into it. When a person has supported his family, government, state, city, community etc. by working an honest job and paying taxes, only to find themselves in a situation where they receive a pittance(Unemployment Insurance), then have that refused by a civil servants personal philosophy or agenda, ultimately leading the victim to lose home, car, self-respect, dignity, faith in our system……that is when people will start pushing back, what is the worst that could happen? You get sent to a prison with a roof over your head and food in your belly? At least the crooks in there won’t deny that they are using you…..There are jobs in my area as long as you aren’t overqualified, and can convince them that fast-food or retail has been your life long career goal, and that you have no intentions of leaving them for that other career you have invested many years in……

• Debbie119 06/17/2010 3:56pm

First off, I applaud Sen. Brown from Ohio!!! He think he said it just like it is. Secondly, many people have to pay more for their health insurance now and many many more lost their retirement that they thought was a guarantee. I would love to know what we need to do so that Congress and the Senate have to pay at least 50% of their health insurance and I would love to do away with their retirement plans. Thirdly, I have to do twice as much for the pay cut my company did that was company wide in order for all of us to keep our jobs. I think it is HIGH TIME, that they take a HUGE pay cut.