H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

• sniperxess 07/22/2010 12:21pm

what happens to the people not in a high unemployment state? such as VA? do they still qualify for this new extension or is it only in the high state over a certain %

Qityrbchn 07/22/2010 12:32pm

Virginia’s has a 7.1% unemployment rate. That may not be as high some states but we will still be eligible. I talked to the VEC office yesterday and they said that after the bill passes and is signed they will send extension applications to us in Va. They couldn’t tell me how long it would take, so I’m still wondering how long we will have to wait.

• sniperxess 07/22/2010 12:47pm

thanks….cause my girlfriend lives here in NC with me but collects from VA…..doesnt know if she can collect from NC or not…so she was worried about the extension helping her out or not.

• UNEMPLOYED34 07/22/2010 12:55pm

OBAMA SIGNED 8 MINUTES AGO

• adrabon 07/22/2010 2:33pm

Everyone dont give up.Push through this.
    P.U.S.H= Pray Untill Something Happens

• whywasilaidoff 07/22/2010 4:23pm

We have to fight for the 99rs. This is an emergency! These people need us and our forces. We could be next. What can we do to make this happen?

Nodlee87 07/22/2010 5:33pm

7 Days to Be Heard!!!

MY FELLOW 99ERS!!! Please contact your local news stations!! All you have to do is call… some are not aware of the 99ers situations…they have been broadcasting about the unemployment extension yet some do not know how bad a Tier 5 extension is needed for the 99ers that are suffering…the media is the only way to get Congress’ attention!!! Please call them and let them know how important it is for us to be heard right now!! WE HAVE 7 DAYS TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!

• ExGOP 07/22/2010 5:34pm

TO ALL MY FELLOW UNEMPLOYED AMERICANS … LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD AND DON’T STOP FIGHTING FOR YOUR RIGHTS ONCE YOU RECEIVE YOUR CHECKS.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION AT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE:

THIS COULD BE YOU! ECONOMISTS PREDICT JOBS WILL NOT BE BACK BY NOV. 30TH! THEY’RE TALKING ABOUT A SMALL PICKUP IN 2012, BUT EVEN THEN THIS COUNTRY WILL PROBABLY NOT BE ABLE TO CREATE 15 MILLION JOBS BY THEN. IN OTHER WORDS, ANY RECOVERY WILL BE SLOW. LET’S START NOW TO HELP AVOID THE CRAP WE ARE CURRENTLY GOING THROUGH.

P.S. PLEASE FORWARD THE PETITION LINK TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY MEMBERS TO SIGN. WE STILL NEED 11,000+ SIGNATURES TO REACH THE 50,000 GOAL.

• dls52174 07/23/2010 7:29am

Wow. I am in Illinois and just got off the phone with the Unemployment office. I was told by a fairly ignorant and not so nice woman that they did not have official word about the extension and no decisions had been made yet. I am certifying next week for my final week out of the initial 26 weeks. I was told to certify for that week and that I would get paid for that. After that, I am suppose to wait for a letter notifying me of what happens with the extension. There is no estimated time frame for an answer or response regarding the extension in Illinois according to this woman. I am hoping that somebody else out there got a more helpful answer in Illinois and can elaborate.

• sniperxess 07/23/2010 7:31am

I re-filed my claim with the Un-Employment Office in NC 3 days ago…and i received the letter date the 21nd ….that i was not “MONETARILY ELIGIBLE” to received extended benefits but that was before the bill was signed. SO THAT BETTER CHANGE! by next week or this bill didnt help me out at all.

I knew i should have waited to refile my claim but i got antsy….LOL

i’ll re do it again next week or wait for some kind of letter from there.

• jereme28 07/23/2010 8:21am

I have read this bill over and over again, and it does not mention EB whatsoever, it also does not mention anything about 99 weeks. This bill only addresses EUC being the tiers, it prevents reductions in benefit amounts, and it changes the eligibility dates. Am I missing something here?

• sniperxess 07/23/2010 9:03am

yeah……the last monies Ive been receiving was from Second Tier Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) I’m looking at the letter they sent me dated 4/26/10 and i received my last check on 6/20/2010

So i am eligible or should be for the next 2 tiers….right?

I dont know why i got a letter about EB….once the new bill hits they should get the act together.

• lordgotmilk 07/23/2010 10:32am

I called Ohio unemployment today at around noon. I was told they just walked out of a meeting (explains the 94 minute wait time..lol) about the new bill. She told me that they are working on the system to change what they need to so that it can be processed. She said that this Sunday I may be able to file my week online, but if it’s not showing yet, to call Monday. I asked about the retro payments and she said that it was brought up on how to deal with it and said that they are working on it as well. She said they currently didn’t have a date on when they would be sent out, but that the overall consensus is that they should go out next week.

Good luck all and we need to get extensions dealt with for the 99er’s still, so keep it up.

• jereme28 07/23/2010 11:07am

A new Amendment introduced by Rep. Baucus has been passed is ready to be signed for EB. see if your state is eligible.

sniperxess 07/23/2010 11:47am

well thats great!….NC is not listed….but hoepfully that wont affect me just yet. AS im hoping i still have 2 more tiers to go?

Abaratarrr 07/23/2010 3:53pm

that is nothing new that has been in the bill since November. Stete extended benefits is what was originally know as tier 3 but now most if not all states are now paying tier 4 before tier 3,

originally it was

tier 1 20 weeks
    tier 2 13 weeks = 1 week added by teir 4
    tier 3 state extended benefits, 13 week for states at 6.5% plus 7 more for states at or above 8%
    tier 4 13 weeks plus 6 more weeks for states over 8.5% or 9% i forget

now many states are calling what was originally tier 4, tiers 3 and 4 and calling state extended benefits which use to be tier 3 something separate.

ridinghero1990 07/23/2010 10:37pm

State Extended Benefits happens after you exhaust Tier 4. It’s an additional 20 weeks. It’s only payable in certain states with high unemployment.

Regular: 26 weeks
    Tier 1: 20 weeks
    Tier 2: 14 weeks
    Tier 3: 13 weeks
    Tier 4: 6 weeks
    State Extended: 20 weeks

Add this together and you’ll get the 99 weeks of federally funded unemployment.

5280voter 07/24/2010 10:44am

It is so difficult to know what to believe. A week prior to the bill passing, I called to determine if my Colorado SEB (state extended benefits) would be paid under the bill. Absolutely I was told without question I would receive my benefits. Then friends of mine were told once the bill had passed that SEB was NOT going to be paid. I called and was told by a different clerk that SEB was not being funded. When I questioned him about this by quoting parts of the bill, he told me I did not understand the bill.

Another day of being giving misinformation. So frustrating. Anyone know what Colorado is planning on doing?

Abaratarrr 07/26/2010 11:53am

there are some Colorado people on the 1699 bill thread if you go to the comment section of that thread you will find the answers you are looking for were answered last week.

Abaratarrr 07/26/2010 12:05pm

tier 2 13 weeks + 1 week added by tier 4

Abaratarrr 07/26/2010 12:12pm

by the way Baucus is not our friend, he as taken a stand along with Nancy Pelosi saying that 99 weeks is enough and that there should not be any additional benefits.

• jereme28 07/23/2010 11:11am

Here is the amendment

mikeqhawaii 07/23/2010 11:55am

jereme28 – can you explain this amendment to me? this is the first time i’ve dealt with it.

• mikeqhawaii 07/23/2010 11:12am

has anyone from hawaii been in touch with the dol reference the extension? i spoke with them right after the bill was signed and was told it would have to be approved by lingle first which she should do sometime next week. i was told to call back afterwards. then last night on the news a spokesperson from the dol said we are to wait on letters the state is going to send out to those who are eligible. ? i don’t trust that. i wonder what experiences other kamaaina are having….

• mikeqhawaii 07/23/2010 1:11pm

k…..i’m now officially confused. what is the difference between “eb” and “euc”? geez……someone help da braddah out please.

sniperxess 07/23/2010 1:29pm

i think EB (extended Benefits) comes after you have exhausted all 4 tiers? if im wrong someone else may know..but thats how i understand it.

enrico17 07/25/2010 4:41pm

Hi Mike, I am not from Hawaii, although I wish I was, but I think I can answer your question. Eb is extended benefits that is paid by the state and is given out after you exhust all four tiers. The four tiers are paid by the government and called Emergency Unemeployment Compensation (EUC). When you finish your tiers the state will send you a letter advising you that you are entitled to the extended benefits which can be either 13 or 20 weeks depending on the state and its rate of unemployment. Hope this helps and that you receive what is due you.

Good luck

mikeqhawaii 07/26/2010 8:03am

thanks enrico.

after a little more investigation i found that it’s not available here…..which is why i haven’t heard of it. compared to most of the nation hawaii isn’t really that bad off. a lot of what happens here is based on what happens in asia. since asia has not been as severly affected by the downturn tourism has continued which for the most part keeps our economy strong.

the problem is if you don’t work in the tourist industry, you would be having a hard time right now – thus my situation. thanks again enrico you’ve responded to me once before. it’s much appreciated. mahalo.

• dankennedy73 07/23/2010 1:52pm

I think the only way the Unemployment mess in this country will besolved is if we force our representatives to put unbearable pressure on corporations like Wal-Mart, Nike, and any other American corporations, to make them bring theire plants back home and flood our market with a surplus of new jobs.

jrhill 07/26/2010 1:46am

the democrats have basically forced these and hundreds of other corporations and businesses out of the US. They are not coming back.

In fact, hundreds more are either going out of business or continuing to move operations to Mexico and elsewhere.

Until these representatives are either thrown out of office, Soetoro, Reid and Pelosi will just continue to punish “profit” and “success” even further.

Kicking these bums out of office is the best solution…

The only way to de-seat Nancy Pelosi from the People’s House is to vote out every single democrat on the ticket…