H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

• lordgotmilk 07/22/2010 8:52am

As adamantly as they all spoke about this, you’d think much of the voting would be done already. I don’t consider myself less patient than others, so apparently the sheer inefficiency of this process is really on show….

Oh, the changes a group of regular people could make in this system.

• lordgotmilk 07/22/2010 8:57am

So, once this passes, does anyone know where we can follow it to the president other than waiting on news to report it tonight?

• lordgotmilk 07/22/2010 9:00am

Here’s one of the inefficiencies that I’ve brought up…the vote timer has expired and still nearly half haven’t voted…what’s the reason for this? When the timer goes to zero, it should be over with.

lordgotmilk 07/22/2010 9:02am

And even now that all the remaining non voted wouldn’t affect pass or fail, they don’t call it.

minimoe 07/22/2010 9:03am

lol.. No worries.. Its passing

• dls52174 07/22/2010 9:03am

With 232 “yay” are we at the simple majority? I believe so, but am afraid to assume that I am correct.

lordgotmilk 07/22/2010 9:07am

At 218, the remaining not voted could have all voted against the bill and still have passed.

• butterflyangel 07/22/2010 9:03am

c-span just announced that the house has passed the bill

• Abaratarrr 07/22/2010 9:04am

it passed the house, now oboma just needs to sign it and its done

• minimoe 07/22/2010 9:07am

Wonder when goes to him to sign? Tomorrow?

• kathyjo 07/22/2010 9:13am
    The official count of unemployed also does not include the ones that didn’t qualify for unemployment,therefore they did not file. I know several that were fired or quit their last job, disqualifying them for benefits,in most cases.
  • kathyjo 07/22/2010 9:23am
    How do you know what tier you were on? I received 77 weeks,I think….. definitely not 99. I’m in a high unemployment state, Ky. I can get no helpful info from the UI offices or their onlne site. I’ve been told to keep claiming my weeks….but the balance is 0…Do I re-file online, or will that hurt me if that’s not the route I’m supposed to take???? Errrrggghhhhhh…
    DTyner 07/22/2010 9:36am

My husband was layed off through no fault of his own and was only on his first tier when it ended in June…he has apps and resumes’ out everywhere…you can’t make people hire you…so what are people suppose to do?…it’s basically the have’s refuse to give to the have nots….I don’t care how many tax cuts you give the wealthy…they are not creating jobs for people here…they are sending it overseas…I think once it leaves this country for someone else to do the work that an able bodied American can do and give a job to someone..it should not be let back in this country…or taxed so high they will want to bring it back to America…I can’t wait to vote in November….

Abaratarrr 07/22/2010 9:45am

there will never be a tier 5 as long as the democrats believe that if they do nothing that the republicans will take the blame.

This is not a democrat vs republican thing, if the democrats were on your side they would have proposed a tier 5

The dems and republicans are on the same side we are on the other.

A 5th tier is desperately needed and it has to come from the democrats who are ignoring us because they think we will blame the republicans for their inaction

DTyner 07/22/2010 9:57am

I am blaming both sides…maybe all those up on Capital Hill should have their pay cut down to min. wage and try to live on that and provide insurance for their families…I bet if they had to do that for 1 month…they all would change their tunes…I cannot believe we actually elect these yahoos….I don’t care what side of the fence their on be it Rep or Dem…I don’t trust any of them…I voted for Obama hoping to see some difference from the last 8 years…and I am sorely disappointed..

Submrnr 07/22/2010 9:37am

I too am in the same boat (and sinking fast) but in Colorado they told us to keep filing since we hit Teir IV and that it would be retroactive. Also not to refile because that would confuse the computers…hope that helps.

5280voter 07/24/2010 10:56am

I was told there is no Tier IV and the SEB was NOT being funded. Yet all the info on the actual bill states SEB is being funded. I voiced my frustration to the clerk giving out incorrect information. I asked him if he had considered the impact that doing so would have on a person trying to keep it together. He said I could stop filing and get a job. What does he think I have been doing with the fantastic fortune of $1200 month?

lordgotmilk 07/24/2010 5:19pm

I remember seeing somewhere on this site a list of changes that have occurred among the states where some states unemployment rates went up and now qualified them for the EB and some states’ unemployment rates went down to just under the cut off, therefore cutting off EB. I remember seeing Colorado on that list, but I don’t remember exactly what it said. I’ll try finding that and post a link.

Nodlee87 07/22/2010 10:35am

I just contacted the UI center and I have exhausted my benefits in tier 4 and will not be part of this extension unless there is a tier 5. I was told the max number of weeks anyone is eligible to collect is 99 weeks.

ridinghero1990 07/22/2010 11:26am

What state are you from? In some high unemployment states, there is an extra 20 weeks after Tier 4, known as State Extended Benefits. We have it here in PA. After I get the last six weeks of Tier 4, I’ll move onto this now since the extension gives back the full federal funding for state extended benefits. Hopefully I find work before then.

Nodlee87 07/22/2010 5:41pm

CT, we were one of the high unemployment states but not any more

ridinghero1990 07/22/2010 10:09pm

When federal funding is withdrawn, states use a conservative formula for determining high unemployment rates. Now with the federal funding restored, your state may go back to the more liberal formula so you will may be eligible for state extended benefits. I’m not sure about Connecticut’s details.

ridinghero1990 07/22/2010 11:28am

99 weeks

26 weeks regular
    20 tier 1
    13 tier 2
    14 tier 3 (13 + 1)
    06 tier 4
    20 state extended benefits (only certain states with high unemployment)

99 weeks

• adrabon 07/22/2010 9:43am

South Carolina will start sending out checks the Monday after the President sings the bill.

sniperxess 07/22/2010 1:08pm

surely not……if he signs tonight which he just did…SC will not start sending checks out this Monday? thats just way to soon.
    Hell, here in NC it tells me im exhausted but ive only been thru 2 tiers….so it will take a while before they start sending checks out. I wish i could start filing again and not be so stressed.

we’ll see how long it takes

adrabon 07/22/2010 1:12pm

yes its true talked to them today. what happened is nSouth Carolina was working on this for the past week just in case the bill was passed.So when it was passed they would be ready.

sniperxess 07/22/2010 1:42pm

man!….i wish NC was ready like that! Good deal, Im glad for ya!

Shoot I still cant file….I just redid my claim lastnight.

NC better get on the ball!

adrabon 07/22/2010 1:49pm

thanks I wish you all the best good luck and hope God will bless you.

• Submrnr 07/22/2010 10:24am

Certain States to take longer than others to send out (retroactive)payments…

• enrico17 07/22/2010 10:37am

Finally, way to long coming. I wish each one of you and all the unemployed the best of luck and hope that you will all soon be back in the working force with the salaries you had before. I am in a different positiion but hurt for all of you, especially if you have families. You will be back on top that you can be sure and remember who helped you when you needed it.

Donny, this website was amazing, not only for the up to date and accurate information you provided, but it gave people a place to talk and support each other and know that they were not alone. Even though you may read about numbers of people, when you hear their stories it makes it real.

God Bless you all