H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

Star58 07/16/2010 6:16am

Jrhill,

Will you stop already. It’s just like one man embezzeling from a company for eight years, the other man’s trying to fix it and you blaming him because he’s not doing it quick enough. It’s been only 18 months for cryin out loud. Would you starve your family so you can save money? I am so sick of you nay sayers falling for the crap that’s being put out there. Are you aware that the Repubs are spending money on what they think is important? And it is not us? The middle class is moving. We are now considered poor. And we all know there is no room for poor people as far as the Repubs are concerned.

Star58 07/16/2010 5:55am

Oh and by the way. My husband has arthritis in both kneew.(bone on bone) can’t afford replacements. He also has diabetes (can’t afford testing supplies). I have glacoma (Medical company paid for my meds but it will lapse next month). Trying to arrange for samples now. Now that I’ve stopped bitching I will be optimistic that I can find a job soon or UI benefits kick back in. (would prefer job please)

Star58 07/16/2010 5:47am

Attention all job seekers. Have the lowest salary you will accept BEFORE you apply for a job. They now ask up front how much you expect. I have been turned down for 2 jobs because I told them my salary expectations and they were paying less. (Not what the market says) Is there no end to this? They don’t even want to hear that you will accept less money. Other than that got my first welfare payment. Paid 2 bills. Broke again. Husband and I have been cramming Drs appointments the past two weeks. If we get our UI back we will be kicked off medicaid. Can’t earn more than 600.00 (for a family of three) a month to be eligible. Can you believe I now consider this a blessing??

lordgotmilk 07/15/2010 7:26pm

If it goes over well and I can maybe do some light monetizing with it, such as AdSense or such to help pay for itself and other states want something similar, I may do a series of the sites. I just need to work out the back-end development, so that it can pull in needed updates for some of the common things. At least I can get the hosting cheap….I have my own site that sells these products. I’ll be marketing it as soon as I can get control, so I can adjust prices a little. At current prices, I would only make like a couple cents for each item sold.

Now to figure out how to avert the cable (which is also our internet and phone, which isn’t good for job searching and for trying to start a web development business) shut off that’s scheduled for Monday. They may work with it more if they know I’ll be able to pay our account fully current here shortly. Sometimes they can be understanding, it’s a local cable company.

lordgotmilk 07/15/2010 7:16pm

Haven’t had time today to check back in here. Was glad to see the front page of the site. So, they are going to push through hr5618 for now. I’m not sure with how he worded it if they would then be working on hr4213 as well at a later date, which would bring back the extra $25. Anyways, to those who’ve been following along. We managed to get a little help. Our electric will stay on thanks to the local community action program. They paid most of what we needed to keep it on and then sent doctor letters in, so that they can’t shut us off due to medical needs in our home.

I’ve done the preliminary development of an Ohio based website for now. I’ll be fine tuning it and hopefully, with a little of the retro check, I’ll be able to buy the hosting and domain name. I designed it to go hand-in-hand with this site. It’s designed to be an easy to see showing of how our Senators are voting.

codemoney 07/15/2010 5:05pm

Well, received food stamps today. Cannot get energy assistance unless I fall behind on the utility bill.

Jonascord 07/15/2010 1:52pm

I can be Pollyannaish as the next guy. This is a link to an AP story in today’s Houston Chronical.

The condensed version is that the Senate will have the 60 votes (Idiot Proof, I’m really beginning to dislike Idealogues like Tom Coburn.), required when they swear in the new Democrat Senator from WV. This swearing in will be on Tuesday, the 20th. Reid plans to have a vote on the bill immediatly after the ceremony, as on the same day, like at once.

Please let it be so…

Jonascord 07/15/2010 11:21am
in reply to mikeqhawaii Jul 15, 2010 9:54am

According to the House calender, it seemed that they would be taking off for the majority of the summer. I offer this as my defence:

However, I was wrong, and I read it backwards. The Clown College was back home, not listening to their employers, when I had thought them to be “working” in DC. I feel much better now, know that they will be ignoring us in DC, rather than while on a Wall street junket to the Virgin Islands to study the depredations of fish on the rum and shrimp cocktail supply.

mikeqhawaii 07/15/2010 9:54am
in reply to Jonascord Jul 14, 2010 6:58am

good morning my friend. i think everyone here can understand your frustration. we all feel it one way or the other. but, you’ve be careful in the information you post to ensure it’s accurate. a lot of the people here really depend on it.

i’m unsure where you found the house is in recess – it actually doesn’t recess till august 9th. it is currently in session. now if we can get the house and senate to simply do something rather than sitting around on their wrinkled butts giving one speach after another all day.

jrhill 07/14/2010 2:18pm
in reply to jrhill Jul 14, 2010 2:16pm

i wonder why they didn’t just say they saved or created 3 BILLION jobs…

the statistical facts are the same for either 3 million or 3 billion…

they don’t exist…

but at least healthcare will be “free”

right?

jrhill 07/14/2010 2:16pm

sometimes I wonder why we are all having such a tough time finding jobs..

I just heard Obama and Joe Biden yesterday on TV and also read it in the paper.

they said they have created or saved 3 Million jobs…

If Obama said it, it must be true…

DrSnark 07/14/2010 1:58pm

Folks! Empower ourselves! Time to move from Comments & calls to senators who view us as collateral damage TO focusing our energy on action – in the streets! In numbers that lamestream media can’t ignore. NO mention of EUC on Network News? OUTRAGEOUS! We may be broke & depressed but we’ve got to start making noise OUTSIDE of the internet. ACT-UP in the 80s re-defined activism, FORCED politicians to deal with AIDS, got drug companies/FDA to push treatments through. The sick were stigmatized then as we are today & most sheepAmericans still don’t care about anything unless it affects them directly. I search daily for signs of a March SOMEWHERE – I know DC is far away but People! Time to turn off the computers and get into the streets, even locally/multi-site, in numbers that CAN’T be ignored! THINK about it, Nov will be too late for many of us. Fewer AIDS folks made a louder roar than we millions, and they were DYING. A call to political action: ACT UP, FIGHT BACK, PASS 5618!!

DrSnark 07/14/2010 1:34pm
in reply to oneofthe30millionunemployed Jul 13, 2010 7:52am

We need to move from typing Comments and calling politicians to focusing all our energy on action & I mean in the streets! In numbers that lamestream media can’t ignore. We are just COLLATERAL DAMAGE in a war that few besides The Ed Show even mention on TV. So we’re depressed& exhausted but we’ve got to start making noise in the streets. ACT-UP in the 80s changed political activism, FORCED politicians to deal with AIDS, got drug companies/FDA to push treatments through. The sick were stigmatized then as we are today. Sadly, most sheepAmericans don’t care about anything unless it affects them directly. I search daily for signs of a March SOMEWHERE – I know DC is far away but People! My experience is: off the computers and into the streets in a way that CAN’T be ignored! THINK about it, Nov will be too late for many of us. Fewer AIDS folks made a louder roar than we millions, and they were DYING. A call to political arms!

Jonascord 07/14/2010 6:58am

To repeat to all, Do you actually believe that anyone in the Senate gives a Flying Fiddle if this bill passes now, or 3 months from now? They are NOT going to work over the weekend. They will stroll in at 2:00 PM on Monday, the 19th, talk about it until 5:00, and schedule a vote to table on Wednesday, and a cloture vote on Friday, and perhaps a vote the following week. IF IT PASSES, the bill will go back to the House, OOPS! House is in RECESS From July 9th until Augest 9th! . If the House makes a change, back it goes to the Senate, but they are GONE for the entire month of Augest, and won’t be back until the middle of September. I’ve got some Magic Beans to sell you, if you weren’t broke.

Everyone here is going to starve.

Jonascord 07/14/2010 6:55am
in reply to satdog Jul 14, 2010 4:46am

Do you actually believe that anyone in the Senate gives a Flying Fiddle if this bill passes now, or 3 months from now? They are NOT going to work over the weekend. They will stroll in at 2:00 PM on Monday, talk about it until 5:00, and schedule a vote to table on Wednesday, and a cloture vote on Friday, and perhaps a vote the following week. IF IT PASSES, the bill will go back to the House, OOPS! House is in RECESS From July 9th until Augest 9th! . If the House makes a change, back it goes to the Senate, but they are GONE for the entire month of Augest, and won’t be back until the middle of September. I’ve got some Magic Beans to sell you, if you weren’t broke.

Everyone here is going to starve.

rbd1217 07/14/2010 6:39am
in reply to peytonsplace007 Jul 14, 2010 4:59am

I think Mr. Reid has a “happening” BBQ scheduled this weekend. Voting will have to wait.

pkerby01 07/14/2010 5:18am
in reply to peytonsplace007 Jul 14, 2010 4:59am

I concur with you wholeheartedly. I never even got to watch any fireworks for lack of gas money to get there. I have barely any food in the house, no money at all after paying my rent and on July 6th I was involved in an auto accident on my way to the unemployment office to apply for jobs. I was not at fault but have been moving very slow for the past week. Congress should be working this weekend. In my past I only received one day off for July 4th; Congress got 6. I need something to happen fast and their should be no reason they shouldn’t work through the weekend to get this done!

peytonsplace007 07/14/2010 4:59am

So the Open Congress home page says Manchin will make the interim VW senator selection by Friday at 5 p.m. If the Senate stays in session over the weekend…the ball could get rolling on this a little quicker w/ all the procedural stuff that has to happen. Reid has to make the decision for them to work over the weekend.

I encourage everyone to blow up Reid’s email, phone & fax and ask him to stay in session over the weekend to work on this. They just had a July 4th break while so many could not celebrate due to their stalling. They need to work, even over the weekend, on this.

satdog 07/14/2010 4:46am
in reply to jereme28 Jul 13, 2010 10:53pm

First of all governemnt better stop the games and get an extention long enough in this still bad reccession larger numbers of ALL Unemployed are happening everyday but not reported. The republicans started these delays, blocks months ago. The democrats know it is needed but are not leading or saying anything.The news is hiding with just a few hints now and then. ALL Unemployed need a BILL with new Tier 5 or Tiers 5 or 6 for at least one year and they know it in this poorly based job country. They spend on other things without a worry but when it comes to the ALL UNemployed Americans now in a still deep job reccession they delay. Get an additional Bill past with new tiers for one year and lead Democratics just passing deadlines is an insert which cut new Unemployed out before you can even start it! Stopt he daedline and get BiLL with new tier or tiers for one additional year it needed now with delays so people can afford to have lifeine to look for work!

jereme28 07/13/2010 10:53pm

Just another day on Planet Bullshit. I cant recall the last time I was dicked around this bad, and for it to be done by the very government that expects us to bow down and give them a cut of our pay from our work? Wow, what a sick sad world. This is a blatant example of the relationship the people of America have with their “representatives”. Hopefully the lesson is learned, and none of us should ever file a 1040 aslong as we live, this relationship is over.

Jess01869 07/13/2010 8:56pm
in reply to oneofthe30millionunemployed Jul 13, 2010 6:05am

Thank you so much. Just curious though…I thought Tier 2 was based on what was worked in 2009 (according to Texas Workforce Commission anyway-Tier one for me was based on what I worked in 2008.)I worked at a company for 6 years and was wrongfully terminated and got unemployment, 2 months later I got a job and was wrongfully terminated again after only 2 months of working when that company was going under and needed to find an excuse to fire me. I worked 8 months in 2009…so wouldn’t I qualify for my new claim July 31st? I really hope I get the extension as opposed to having to file for a new claim qualifying or not, actually.

lordgotmilk 07/13/2010 1:55pm
in reply to alzoron Jul 13, 2010 10:46am

That makes sense. My Mom fell under that. She had just got put on the State Extended Benefits. I think she was only like 2 weeks in when it got cut off.

alzoron 07/13/2010 10:46am
in reply to alzoron Jul 13, 2010 8:17am

*update

After a second call to my local UI office I’ve apparently been on State Extended Benefits and not Tier III, and from what they told me that can be cut off partway through, and has been since June 5th because of congress not extending UI benefits.

Boriqua187 07/13/2010 8:46am

Your tier shouldn’t have stopped if you had a balance on your EUC. It should have stayed the same until that tier was over. The current bill is for the people who have exhausted their current tier and are waiting to get put onto the next one if they pass the bill. LET US PRAY!!!

alzoron 07/13/2010 8:17am
in reply to peytonsplace007 Jul 13, 2010 7:53am

I have a quick question about this current lapse of unemployment benefits.

I was under the impression that everything going on right now was only supposed to affect people who were transitioning from regular unemployment to emergency unemployment, or moving from one tier of emergency unemployment to another tier of unemployment, and that if you were in the middle of a particular tier you wouldn’t be cut off until you exhausted that tier.

I was only on my second week of tier III and had my benefits cut off. I have called my local unemployment office and they’ve told me it wasn’t because of any disqualifying decision on my part, but because the Federal Government had not extended benefits.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Was my state in error for cutting my benefits off mid-tier?

peytonsplace007 07/13/2010 7:53am

This article proves what we’ve known all along. S. Kyl, the Republican Minority Whip out and out says to extend tax credits for the rich—EVEN IF IT ADDS TO THE DEFICIT!!! Yet he and his cronies are using the deficit argument in their attempts to not extend unemployment insurance. I expect some hypocrisy in politics, but this is a blatant slap to the face.

If I were wealthy, I would expect to pay more taxes. That’s just the way the cookie crumbles. In fact I would happily pay them as it shows I’ve got so much money, it doesn’t matter (ahhh, must be nice) and it is my belief we take care of each other, no matter your party or socioeconomics.

Kyl is delusional and needs medication.

I found another unemployment discussion website.

textdog 07/13/2010 7:43am

hey everyone, i have been working on the big banks and the bailout, we have focused on the unemployment they caused. we’re anewwayforward.org.

we now have a petition going right after brian moynihan, ceo of bank of america to proactively lobby for the unemployment extensions — he has a responsibility to make this extension happen. Silent support is not enough! We hope you can sign – let’s get Brian!

please, please, we need to know what you think — the way in which the biggest banks can wreak havoc and get away with it is absolutely unfair and shows how broken things are!

please sign if you can, and tell others. we need to organize!!!!!!

enrico17 07/13/2010 7:38am

We are forgetting that even if this bill is passed next week, it still has to go back to the house because of all the changes. However if they approve the house bill they may be a chance it could pass before their Aug. recess. But now I see that that bill did not pass. Totally confused on that.

You know the Repubs will delay even if they know the dems have the 60. I am starting to think this is all and dog and pony show on both sides to delay until after Nov.

Donny, can you explain the declined on the house bill. thanks

in reply to oneofthe30millionunemployed Jul 13, 2010 6:57am

I was wrong. It was about raising taxes instead.