H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

bhrodeoaz 06/26/2010 3:31pm

THIS IS AN UPDATE FOR ALL WHO ARE READING THIS MSG BOARD. There is another bill it is S-3520 as a STAND ALONE bill that was introduced on the 6-22-2010. It is the unemployment extension act of 2010 , was introduced by Debbie Ann Stab something a D-MI look it up and pass the word along. ITS NOT A TOTAL LOSS YET BUT THERE WILL BE A LAPSE IN PAYMENTS FOR SURE

mouseissue 06/08/2010 9:15am

From the sounds of things, all of us 99ers (i.e. long-term unemployed who’ve exhausted all unemployment benefits) will be in dire straits (if not already).

I have been looking for ANY job (including ANY minimum wage job) and have been unable to find one for over 2 years! I am a married professional with three children that was laid-off back in August 2006, and am STILL unemployed. My last tier of benefits (Tier 4) ran out back in March 2010.

Last month, we started using food banks for food.
We have begun selling belongings to keep our water and electricity on and pay rent. Very soon, we will be HOMELESS!

What do our elected officials care? They were in too big a hurry to go on another of their many “paid breaks” while more and more Americans suffer.

I do not hold out much hope for folks like me.

dartcanyon 03/12/2010 10:53am
in reply to NorCalGurl Mar 12, 2010 7:13am
I don’t see any of the crooks in Washington being denied paychecks, benefits or anything else even when they get caught and that seems to be a pretty regulat thing with the fat daddies. They are playing with out lives, giving money to foreign countries, foreigners in this country and approving piddly bills that are really stupid and unnecessary. Take the money from NASA and take care of Real Americans out of work. We don’t need to be in space and have no business there. Keep that money and the exorbitant paychecks to play in space right here on terra firma and we’ll all benefit.
JohnB 06/25/2010 5:11am

I don’t like it when people point their fingers at the unemployed and make a broad statement calling us lazy or not will to take a minimum wage job. Most of us had good jobs, great incomes, good retirement plans….then Wall St and Washington crash the market, causing housing prices to drop, people lose their jobs and retirement savings….and they now tell us it’s OUR FAULT ? BS!!!!

enrico17 06/26/2010 4:17pm
in reply to Genesee Jun 26, 2010 11:48am

Genesse, Why are your so disgutingly ignorant

JoshR 05/31/2010 5:29pm

Currently, hedge fund managers’ income is taxed at the lower capital gains tax rate rather than the regular income tax rate, which is higher. It creates situations where billionaires end up paying a lower tax rate than their secretaries.

Thats messed up.

njcoolchik 06/23/2010 12:48pm

Or better yet, I would like to submit my resume and application for the Senate Pee Collector Position.

I have extensive experience in dealing with Senate Crap for over three years.

References provided upon request.

Abaratarrr 07/22/2010 9:45am
in reply to DTyner Jul 22, 2010 9:36am

there will never be a tier 5 as long as the democrats believe that if they do nothing that the republicans will take the blame.

This is not a democrat vs republican thing, if the democrats were on your side they would have proposed a tier 5

The dems and republicans are on the same side we are on the other.

A 5th tier is desperately needed and it has to come from the democrats who are ignoring us because they think we will blame the republicans for their inaction

ericlemberg 03/11/2010 6:54am
in reply to sassysally50 Mar 11, 2010 6:24am

I was under the impression that this bill extends benefits to those who will soon exhaust tier 4 benefits to the end of 2010.

dartcanyon 06/07/2010 7:52am
in reply to ProducerJoe Jun 06, 2010 2:05pm

Obama WILL NOT step in and use his executive power for us. He’s part of the problem folks. They sleep well because they are selfish, heartless people who are only interested in their own wealth that we have helped provide for them with all our long term tax dollars. Let’s STOP paying taxes and you will see how fast Washington knows who and where we are. Disgraceful. They don’t think about the damn deficit when they are pouring more and more money into useless wars and foreign countries. What happened to taking care of America first?

enrico17 07/22/2010 10:37am

Finally, way to long coming. I wish each one of you and all the unemployed the best of luck and hope that you will all soon be back in the working force with the salaries you had before. I am in a different positiion but hurt for all of you, especially if you have families. You will be back on top that you can be sure and remember who helped you when you needed it.

Donny, this website was amazing, not only for the up to date and accurate information you provided, but it gave people a place to talk and support each other and know that they were not alone. Even though you may read about numbers of people, when you hear their stories it makes it real.

God Bless you all

sweett813 06/25/2010 6:01am
in reply to sweett813 Jun 25, 2010 5:55am

The problem with politicans and politics in general is that they stick with thier party instead of the good of the people. Bipartisan does not exist they never come together and agree on anything, and you people put this people to represent who, sure not the lower or working class

michaeldf 06/24/2010 6:25am

This is not a party issue, when I see comments pointing the finger at repubs it is obvious that people do not understand the bills contents. Dems and Repubs both need to be ashamed of themselfs for using a bill that was ment to help the american worker and attach all kinds of useless pet projects. It drives up the cost so it is hard for anyone to swallow. Reid give up the stimulus money, McConnell quit being an as@*$le. Be warned Reid, with Navada having a 13+% unemployment I am sure its citizens will be looking to tar and feather you.

sldhouston 06/14/2010 2:13pm

As of this evening, June 14, 2010, the bill to extend unemployment has STILL NOT PASSED! These leaders went on break for a week. They foolishly played games last week. This is the 3rd week they are debating over this. Meanwhile several thousand Americans are relying and depending on a check, many who’ve been cut off because these leaders think it’s cute to play games this way. Next-to those of you who tell us to go get a job working retail, fast food, supermarkets/stores, etc. they do not hire us. Those of us with degrees are not a fit for them for two reasons. One-they know we’re over qualified. Next-they know we need the job to fill in the financial gap for now until something better comes along so they do not hire us b/c they know we’re not in for the long haul. I have also been told that managers and company executive DO NOT look to hire those who’ve been out of work and are considered unemployed. It is an every day fight just to have the door slammed in our face.

NorCalGurl 03/11/2010 7:23am
in reply to ericlemberg Mar 11, 2010 6:54am

Nope, just extends the deadlines.

Bringing over this article regarding how the press is getting info regarding the recent extension bill wrong…

But what really caught my eye was this part…

UPDATE (10:30 a.m. CT): There have been a number of questions about why the various politicians continue to refer to the provisions in the jobs bill as an “unemployment extension.” I think there are several key reasons. Unlike the Senate bill, the House version of the bill apparently includes additional weeks of benefits for those who have exhausted the current coverage. It’s not clear to anyone I’ve spoken to how that will be resolved with the Senate version.

sedsaw 06/26/2010 4:39pm
in reply to magedanna Jun 25, 2010 5:02am

You are an ignorant dip. I trust you never use or need any assistance from OUR government. Must be nice to have your husband work and sit at home doing house work. And probably not doing that well. These are extreme times we’re in, not as if this was 5 or years ago. are you blind!!!! These people are out of work due to no fault of their own.

Do the MATH idiot…
For every $1.00 provided businesses makes money. The government receives their state and local tax.. it was determined that $1.90 comes back into the economy. Do you really think people are saving that measly $300 per week. Yeah getting rich of that. It contributes to the economy, guess what your local stores WONT get anything now. Great job!!!

ProducerJoe 06/06/2010 2:05pm

I’m going to keep this as civil as I possibly can. However, the attitude of incumbents, such as Jim “Tough Sh*t” Bunnings and his repeated blocking of this bill under the feigned concern of cost, makes it extremely difficult.

My point concerns IRS 181, attached to this bill somewhere, according to attorney friends of mine. My company, and other producers, have numerous projects waiting on this.

Talk about creating jobs and affecting middle class workers directly? Blocking this bill is a textbook example of Washington bureaucrats directly affecting the workplace!

The Senate could have voted on this before leaving on their week-long RECESS. But no, they just wanted to get their butts out to “play”.

Listen up, senators! You need to get back here on Monday, get the votes together and pass this @#$%*& bill!

I understand Bunnings is or has retired, so he gets away with his insolence.
But in November, we’ll remember incumbents who’ve forgotten who they work for!

PASS THE BILL!

MTeinert 06/21/2010 2:34pm
I think it’s just hilarious how convinient it is to not pass this bill due to the excuse of the national deficit. All of a sudden the deficit is now a concern because the middle class needs a bail out. Who was complaining when we spent billions bailing out the banks who took that money to pay the fat salaries of these greedy ceo’s and pay for multi million dollar beach partys. How many billions of dollars a month to pay for a war in Iraq that seems to me is doing nothing for us? These greedy assholes in congress who dont want to pass this bill is because they dont want to stop shipping jobs overseas for free so they dont have to pay as much for labor and they wonder why there’s no jobs and millions of people are unemployed and they have the nerve to object on this bill and blame the democrats who are trying to fix this nation for racking up the deficit. That is just a crock if you ask me and why are all republicans sticking together to buy into this is beyond me?
APascarella1 03/24/2010 6:37am
in reply to richc Mar 22, 2010 3:24pm

you know what i just realized. my roomate who got layed off before me and on unemployment before me will be collecting unemployment longer than i will because of the dates we fall on for our last filing. the system is messed up. i wish we could just vote all these idiots out and replace them with normal people, not self indulgent jack asses. oh well.

rbd1217 06/24/2010 1:09pm
in reply to bhrodeoaz Jun 19, 2010 10:34am

Both of the senators from my state are voting yea for this. I would hope everyone posting here is writing their senators a nice email to voice their opinion. We dont have alot of campaign $ to give but we can give them a good piece of our mind, the more the better. I doubt they read this site but I know at least their aids read the emails. One could only hope it gets passed on.

whatsgoingon 06/27/2010 3:29am
in reply to Genesee Jun 26, 2010 11:48am

You must be uneducated and definitely don’t know anything about what is going on in the real world. Sit there, shut up and look pretty. Maybe you will learn something while the adults talk about the real world problems.

zorayamckee 06/16/2010 10:34am

Oh my gosh!! this is so confusing! so when do we know if this passed??? i am a mommy of 5 and i also have a college education my husband lost his job and now its been hell trying to find one!! we need this to survive i don’t know what were going to do without the unemployment help.. no one knows what it is like to look into your little boys face and tell them you don’t have the money for a pair of new shoes for them because his are so worn!! it brakes my heart and i hope everyone can understand!!!

rhian116 06/27/2010 11:08am
in reply to rhian116 Jun 27, 2010 11:04am

And P.S. Genesee, how dare you insult a soldier? What was the last thing you did for this country?

loganstorm 06/19/2010 3:28am

Well its official. I’ve lost my home. If I don’t have the rent paid by July 1, my children and I are homeless. I’ve worked all my life, I am not a deadbeat, I ran out my first 26 weeks of unemployment the day the extension ended. While on UI, I was looking for work aggressively. After awhile, I couldn’t even afford the ink for my printer to print resumes, but at least I had the rent paid so my children had a home. I have two degrees, one in child psychology and one in accounting/business management…and was looking even for waitress work and was turned down for being overqualified. When I told them to exploit me, they just laughed. If this bill doesn’t pass, get signed & go into effect in the next few days, I’m homeless. I’ve never been a whiner or a quitter, but I just don’t know what do do anymore. If it wasn’t for my kids, I might just give up for good.

brokechristine 06/18/2010 5:39am

I am in the same boat laid of Nov 2009. I didn’t receive 99 weeks either- yep were competing with the first wave of layoffs from 2008- plus I live in a college town. Wonder if these representatives read the news about how employers don’t want to hire the unemployed. God help us.

bhrodeoaz 06/19/2010 10:42am

Another thing i noticed was a CNBC report about last months jobs report boasted 438,000 jobs created. Big DEAL what they didnt say was 411,000 of those jobs were Temporary Census workers who are now back on the unemployment line. Bunch of biased bull shit if you ask me

jillyb2 06/16/2010 4:57pm

I exhausted my Tier 2 benefits a week ago. I am now going on my second week of no unemployment benefits. My husband and I are trying to figure out how we will survive if the Senate doesn’t come to an agreement soon. It’s ridiculous that a lot of this comes down to pure politics and us US Citizens are forced to suffer for it. This bill should have been passed by June 2nd at the latest and here we are, June 16th and it has still not been resolved. My husband and I love this country. He is a combat veteran from 2 different wars so we are a very patriotic family but for the first time in my life, I feel that this country is letting us down.

brokechristine 06/17/2010 10:42pm

Shame Shame Shame on the PEOPLE’S representation!!!! GOVT stop lying to make your numbers look good on how f’ing great things are- wake up!!!! Do you even read the news- employers won’t hire the “unemployed” hello is this ringing a f’in bell you self righteous bastards. PASS THIS BILL and bail out the PEOPLE until you finally figure out that your earlier decisions to ship our jobs oversees is now biting your assess off. It’s GOVT WASTE that has this country in a deficit- funding a war we WILL NEVER WIN- HELP YOUR OWN PEOPLE FIRST!!! How could you f’ers take a vacation on Memorial day weekend ok money to Haiti and stick the American people then- and since then- This is ridiculious!!!!! The unemployed like me due to GM closing my dealership after you gave them my money is too qualified for minimum wage jobs that they know you’ll leave at your first chance- so now I can’t get a job- pay the rent- buy groceries etc. Do I have to move to a foreign country to get help!!!! shit

lordgotmilk 07/11/2010 4:44pm
in reply to brokechristine Jul 11, 2010 12:44pm

brokechristine,

I myself am facing eviction any day, electric shut off on the 19th along with cable. My fiance and 5 of her kids here at home. All we’ve ever done is be able to eek by, keeping the bills paid and food on the table. Keep in mind, you’ve done all that you have until now. There is no reason for shame. Hold your head high. Keep positive, no matter how bad and except graciously what help your son can give. It’s not a sign of weakness in this economy and that’s what family is all about.

Keep positive in your job search and be creative. I myself have a few options because I looked outside the box. One is a job and the other would be a partner in a business of a group of us working together to market our skills to small businesses. While waiting to hear from one, I’m setting up meetings for the other.

Just remember, you aren’t alone. We are in this together.

Widestance_Politics 06/17/2010 3:43pm

Congress will either come to their senses or they will be forced into it. When a person has supported his family, government, state, city, community etc. by working an honest job and paying taxes, only to find themselves in a situation where they receive a pittance(Unemployment Insurance), then have that refused by a civil servants personal philosophy or agenda, ultimately leading the victim to lose home, car, self-respect, dignity, faith in our system……that is when people will start pushing back, what is the worst that could happen? You get sent to a prison with a roof over your head and food in your belly? At least the crooks in there won’t deny that they are using you…..There are jobs in my area as long as you aren’t overqualified, and can convince them that fast-food or retail has been your life long career goal, and that you have no intentions of leaving them for that other career you have invested many years in……