H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

patsy1950 06/27/2010 6:37am
in reply to Genesee Jun 27, 2010 5:50am

Genesee: Receiving unemployment “insurance” is paid for by every working American. It is NOT a welfare benefit. I have worked for more than 30 years, got laid off a year ago, and let me tell you something, the government is not “maintaining” my lifestyle; and the weekly unemployment check (1/3 of what my working salary was) is NOT maintaining my previous lifestyle. I am a 60 year old woman who has been searching endlessly for a job. Not earning an income will also affect my social security benefit when I retire. Unless you have unemployment experience my friend, you really should keep your uninformed opinions to yourself….maybe try some understanding, compassion. That’s what is missing “in the real world”….

dankennedy73 06/27/2010 2:53pm
in reply to tmo520 Jun 27, 2010 10:31am

I agree, only cowards hide.

RichGilmore 06/27/2010 1:55pm
in reply to dankennedy73 Jun 27, 2010 7:08am

Dankennedy73, thank you for your service. There is however a couple of mistakes in your thinking. Ronald Reagan told the Air traffic controllers union that they would not be allowed to strike (as did every president from FDR forward) and if they did he would replace them immediately! They thought by striking they had the power to shut down the entire ATC system. They didn’t believe him, & so he kept his promise & showed them he was serious. I agree with you that too many jobs are going overseas however; you are way oversimplifying why jobs are going overseas. First, you are right that it is corporate greed. Secondly the constitution is a document written about individual freedoms, problem is it never saw the vision of a stock market, or publicly held co. So, people are walked over. Furthermore, you have unions who use OSHA & EPA to put so much pressure on corporations that they decide they can get away from the unions and government by outsourcing. Reagan’s fault? Really ?

bhrodeoaz 06/27/2010 2:39pm

Again Every body LOOK UP S-3520 IT IS THE STAND ALONE BILL FOR THE UNEMPLOYMENT EXTENSION. IT WAS INTRODUCED ON 6-22-2010 Just a reminder that the unemployment is not dead YET

MTeinert 06/27/2010 2:27pm
If people want to have Jobs shipped over seas to save money, than get out of America and live where you’re taking our jobs, You corrupt #$*@s. Change your citizenship to another country! You can count on the American people not missing you including the small buisness owner who counts on the income of others,(WHO LIVE IN AMERICA)to succeed.
dankennedy73 06/27/2010 2:45pm

Actually, RichGilmore, no I was right. There was a lot more going on during Reagan’s administration than the Air traffic controllers union mess. You had local unions as well as regional unions that were not being allowed to strike under threat of incarceration. Ask anyone working in the West Virginia coalmine at that time. And what about the railroads industry, or any of a number of others. I was a kid living in West Virgina when the Strikes during the eighties finally did erupt and thanks to Reagan and his thugs in Congress a lot of people suffered.

codemoney 06/27/2010 4:48pm
in reply to bhrodeoaz Jun 27, 2010 2:39pm

But a lot of us don’t have the 2 to 3 months it will take for this bill to go from beginning (where it is) to passage.

Sunshine2010 06/27/2010 4:56pm
in reply to SelenaSaberWind Jun 27, 2010 1:04pm

Great letter Selena! I too have been sending letters to both sides of the aisle. Basically, it all boils down to the fact that they want to have a bipartisan stand off to see who will come out head in the polls in November! Sad isn’t it, that all they think about is themselves.

Sunshine2010 06/27/2010 5:08pm

Yes bhrodeoaz, there is a stand alone bill S-3520 for the Unemployment Extension on 6-22-10, but it went to the Finance Committee because the Democrats do not like it; therefore, this one will probably die as well. You see, it really is a fight for power between the two parties at this point for their own selfish goals. If all of them really care about their constituents that are destitute they (both parties) would work to pass the stand alone bill S-3520.

Nodlee87 07/28/2010 10:08am
in reply to Star58 Jul 28, 2010 4:38am

Take the money 99ers??? What money? There is not going to be a Tier 5 extension so that means there is no money for the 99ers.

Nodlee87 07/28/2010 10:40am

Is there any truth to this?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PRLog (Press Release) – Jul 23, 2010 – Leading Republican strategist are working behind the scenes to brew up one of the most brilliant strategies ever devised to pull the rug out from under the Democratic party at the polls this November.

Monday, July 26, 2010 will be 99 days until the November election. New thinking suggests that select Republican members of the Senate will consider writing temporary legislation to help the group known as the 99ers. These are the lazy Americans who have wasted 99 weeks of government funded unemployment benefits and are seeking more free money from Uncle Sam. The fiscally responsible GOP has dismissed this notion as too costly and too heavy of a burden to place upon the deficit.

Nodlee87 07/28/2010 10:40am

If so basically a select group of Republicans think the 99ers are lazy and don’t want to work. I am sure that more than 90% of the 99ers if not 100% would welcome the opportunity to keep a roof over their head, keep their kids healthy and provide them with food, but of course the select group of Republicans never had to worry about it, because their boss President Bush made sure of that and put us in the state we are in.

Chris51 06/27/2010 10:04pm
in reply to Alant Jun 25, 2010 6:01am

12 Democrats joining a unanimous Republican bloc, the US Senate voted Wednesday (6/16/2010) to defeat a proposed extension of unemployment.
The Wall Street Journal reported last week that American corporations have increased their cash reserves to $1.84 trillion, the highest figure in history. In other words, big business and the banks, after an unprecedented bailout by the public treasury, are hoarding the funds that could put millions back to work. The cash reserves of major corporations have jumped 26 percent in one year, the largest percentage increase in nearly 60 years. The cash reserves of working people, and particularly the unemployed, have not been so fortunate… change.org

Jess01869 06/27/2010 11:06pm

I applied at 10 places 2 and a half weeks ago in just 1 week and haven’t gotten any call backs and I’m 28 years old, haven’t made it to even Tier 2 cause I missed the deadline by 5 days! When does Congress go on their 4th of July break? Aren’t they IN session today (the 28th)starting at 9:30 a.m.? Is today the final day before the break and are they trying to vote on an extension of any kind? I’ve been reading articles stating mixed things. Very confused. Also If Obama can’t bypass/over-ride a bill that’s already been voted on, can he not pass the S-3520 since it has not been voted on yet? What a hold up!!

Jess01869 06/27/2010 11:10pm
I just hope I can keep my phone on tomorrow and stall my landlord and so much for paying my $40 overdraft fee so their goes my bank account. Already had my car insurance default to non payment and there goes the $200 monthly fee I pay in surcharges to keep my drivers license that I’ve been steadily paying for the last 2 years straight. What a train wreck…next up…utilities. All my money went to these sort of things when I was employed at the job I was “let go” from of 6 years. Seems like even utility companies,landlords,insurance companies, the DMV, tax office, and even banks are getting screwed out of money! Way to go Congress. I feel terrible for people going through this that actually have families, it’s hard enough even as one! I hope something passes SOON for the sake of America!
ridinghero1990 06/27/2010 11:17pm

Lets just get a clear idea of what is going to happen next instead of a hundred posts with different information. This week, the House is going to work on and hopefully pass a standalone unemployment extension. Since 1 or 2 Republicans said they will support it, and with the mounting pressure to pass something, I don’t see why this can’t pass successfully. Does anyone know where to find the most up to date information this week?

leslierickard 06/28/2010 5:14am
in reply to ridinghero1990 Jun 27, 2010 11:17pm

I just went to one of the sites from google that lists the schedules for congress this week, it did not have one for the senate, but did have one for the house…there is nothing on their schedule about unemployment extensions…nothing…hopefully this will change, but for now I think I am giving up any hope…

judyanne 06/28/2010 6:51am

Where are the jobs the stimulas package was supposed to bring about? Why has our President not been concerned about the issue of Americans being without jobs. He is more concerned with the passage of SB1070 and wasting time and money on sueing the state of Arizona. Pitiful leadership!

pamtech70 06/28/2010 7:16am

Well, This is my 3rd week, without my U.E. and when my place of unemployment closed last year due to lack of sales etc…I tried really hard to find another job in my field…There was none, so when the D.O.L. sent put those letters stating that we need to go back to school, that this is the perfect time, I finally decided, since my 1st degree is not working out in finding a job, I decided (we decided, hubby & me) that if I can get my unemployment while I hit the books once gain, that we could sacrifice, change our lifestyle and within a year or so…I would have a degree in the medical field and We would get back on track..No gonna happen NOW

pamtech70 06/28/2010 7:17am
in reply to pamtech70 Jun 28, 2010 7:16am

….We are barely getting by, along with EVERYONE ELSE in my situation…I guess I am gonna quit school, We cant afford it, The drive is 45 min. one way..Gas etc….$$$$$ And to think I was making A’s and I was trying really hard to make a better life for my 2 kids/family…I live in Georgia, and I voted for my representatives..and they VOTED “NAH”(NO) for the EXTENSION???!!! What do I do now? No one is hiring in my area in my field, still today…I am gonna apply at a grocery store or walmart etc….I have no choice anymore…..and as of last week, they were not hiring either… I am trying very hard to think positive, but I am losing this battle…

Sunshine2010 06/28/2010 7:38am
in reply to ridinghero1990 Jun 27, 2010 11:17pm

Ridinghero1990, to get the most up to date information on the bill(s) and the Senate’s schedule and Congress’ schedule go to the Thomas Law Library at:http://thomas.loc.gov/. This site has all the update information. Let us all say some prayers that they find some compassion in their COLD hearts to help us Americans that are in need?

babydinosaur 06/28/2010 8:18am

some of you guys as of late sunday/eary-current monday are delusional. if you read all across google news, reputable sources are saying that the “dodd-frank” bill is going to be passed this week, YES based upon a few things, but the news has changed its tone from writing in a “looking gloomy” style to “more positive”.

Snowe stepping forward has really blessed us.

leslierickard 06/28/2010 8:28am
in reply to babydinosaur Jun 28, 2010 8:18am

unfortunately, that bill has nothing to do with the unemployment extension…it is just another name for the wall street reform bill that was hammered out on thursday night. Dodd and Frank just simply put their names on the bill as a matter of historical reference…

ridinghero1990 06/28/2010 8:41am

When will we hear news of the House preparing a Stand Alone Unemployment Extension?

littleindian 06/28/2010 8:55am
in reply to ridinghero1990 Jun 28, 2010 8:41am

brings to mind the phrase …when pigs fly.

Sunshine2010 06/28/2010 8:58am
in reply to ridinghero1990 Jun 28, 2010 8:41am

Ridingher1990, Bill S-3520 (which is the stand alone bill for Unemployment Extensions) has been sent to the Senate Finance Committee last week. You can keep up with its progress as I have done and many others by going to the link I posted earlier (Thomas Law Library). Everyone that is concerned about this bill should be writing to there Senate Representatives and even all Senate Reps, Republican and Democratic. We need to SLAM them with mail until they listen to us “little people.” You can also go to www.change.org and sign a petition that has been circulating! Everyone needs to get involved, not just BLOG.

Sunshine2010 06/28/2010 9:06am
in reply to ridinghero1990 Jun 28, 2010 8:41am

All of you please go to this web page which is the Finance Committees’ page and write these people that don’t mind putting money in their pockets but do not care about hard working Americans that have been put out in the cold! http://finance.senate.gov/about/faq/ Bombard them with you piece of mind regarding Bill S-3520!

ridinghero1990 06/28/2010 9:09am

Why would the House be working on a standalone unemployment extension, if a similar bill was sent to the Senate “last week?”

leslierickard 06/28/2010 9:53am

Okay…here’s the lastest update…one of the Colorado blogsites has reported that Sen. Stabinow WILL bring the stand-alone bill to the floor TODAY. It also reinserts the $25 stimulus money that was removed from the larger bill.

Abaratarrr 06/28/2010 10:17am

The bill includes a $25-a-week supplement dropped as Democrats pared the jobs bill back to meet the requirements of moderate deficit hawks, none of whom ultimately voted for the bill. It does not create any new tiers of unemployment benefits, instead restoring Tier IV benefits to the jobless. (Congress added or expanded Tiers I through IV last year, as part of its stimulus plan.)

Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine), who refused to cross the aisle for the jobs bill — objecting to, among other things, the closing of a tax loophole for “S corporations” — has said she will vote for a standalone UI bill. She urged Senate Democrats to take one up last week.