H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

kevinelliott 06/19/2010 9:55pm
in reply to JoshR May 31, 2010 5:33pm

How do you propose they know who got a job who is no longer receiving benefits? They get their counts from receiving the claim forms each week that confirms people have not found work. Once you’re cut off unemployment pay, you don’t receive claim forms, and thus, they can’t assume that you have or haven’t found work. I highly doubt they can claim dubious or unknown statuses as unemployed. Thus, I think vmo1969 might actually be on to something. Think about it.

brokechristine 06/19/2010 7:47pm
in reply to xman69 Jun 18, 2010 12:25pm

It won’t be long and the news will start talking about the increase in guns and ammunition sales- a scene right out of Les Miserabe. The people will have to do what the people have to do- better make sure you protect your right to arms- that will be the next thing they try to take away now that they’re pissing the real America off. Part of why our troops are still away is that they won’t have a job when they come home either…..chew on that one awhile….

brokechristine 06/19/2010 7:31pm

Our leaders are worried about a welfare state. What they should be worried about is the unemployed rallying together with what little resources we have and taking a road trip to the capitol, making signs, using bullhorns and making an unemployment quilt with each square representing an American family who’s American dreams have died.

Unemployed1 06/19/2010 5:59pm

They are worried about the money to fund this bill and some parts of the bill should not pass. The unemployment extension should be on a seperate bill. If they are worried about funding unemployment bennefits, what will the do when people have to line up at the welfare office because they lost their unemployment? I am sure that none of us want that, none of us want welfare. We were eligbel for unemployment because we had our weeks in and the job market still sucks. Pass the bill, cant they seperate the unemployment part of the bill and then work on the rest? They need to stop worrying about who looks better in the end. Pass the damn bill already!

KASwann 06/19/2010 5:42pm

I do think Obama should over rule this darn thing and sign it in. HE knows that it is seriously screwed up. Bail out banks and no good auto makers and then let the people who are out of work lose everything? not funny. They really need to get working on this bill and get it passed.

leslierickard 06/19/2010 2:24pm
in reply to bhrodeoaz Jun 19, 2010 10:42am

It is bs, and it is very biased. Big Buisiness controls the media, the same way it controls the government. If they say jump the government jumps and the media is there to take their pics and report on who jumped the highest.

bhrodeoaz 06/19/2010 10:42am

Another thing i noticed was a CNBC report about last months jobs report boasted 438,000 jobs created. Big DEAL what they didnt say was 411,000 of those jobs were Temporary Census workers who are now back on the unemployment line. Bunch of biased bull shit if you ask me

bhrodeoaz 06/19/2010 10:36am

bhrodeoaz 06/19/2010 10:34am
in reply to RetiredPublicSafetydotCom Dec 16, 2009 6:36am
Then Senators who oppose this bill are attacking the middle class americans like myself who work in the construction industry. They want to piss and bitch and moan about boo hoo whos gonna pay for our unemployment.? Hmm i am gonna guess we are going to pay for it our selves, with the govts ability to throw trillions of dollars to banks, automakers supervising boards(not the workers), and yet they can not help out its own citizens. I know that with out the middle class construction workers NOBODY would have a car to drive built by americans, on roads that are built by american workers, to buildings and/or work built by american workers. Yet the senators bitch and moan wondering about taxes and shit. Set your political bickering aside step the f- up and take care of the people who put your fat asses in office. Otherwise we will getyou the hell out its simple.
mrepictruth 06/19/2010 10:16am
in reply to loganstorm Jun 19, 2010 3:28am

Welcome to debt slavery! America’s apathy made it so.

dankennedy73 06/19/2010 9:43am

Go check out Yahoo News. Just yesterday I read a story about corporations listing jobs that specifically deny unemployed from being able to apply. They want someone with a job already to apply because they believe the same crap everyone else does: if you’re unemployed it must be because you’re lazy and don’t want a job. What a load of bull! I would love a job, but I won’t even be considered by anyone for a decent job just because I’m unemployed.

dankennedy73 06/19/2010 9:26am
in reply to tmo520 Jun 18, 2010 8:07pm

To be honest, if you are wondering if our represntative hear us the answer is only when it is close to an election and even then it is only to pay us half heartened lip service. We need to stop voting for career politicians, we, “the everyday citizens of this country,” who have to endure the ridculous crap that comes from Congress and our respective state legislatures, need to start geting involved. Running for office ourselves and remembering always what it is like for our fellow citizens on the streets. That is why they don’t care. Most politician have never been poor, and of the few who have most of them have forgotten.

xman69 06/19/2010 5:56am
in reply to loganstorm Jun 19, 2010 3:28am

i feel for you loganstorm! i’m right behind you,guess i’ll have to resort to srlling drugs or something to make sure my family can eat. would rather just have a job :(

loganstorm 06/19/2010 3:28am

Well its official. I’ve lost my home. If I don’t have the rent paid by July 1, my children and I are homeless. I’ve worked all my life, I am not a deadbeat, I ran out my first 26 weeks of unemployment the day the extension ended. While on UI, I was looking for work aggressively. After awhile, I couldn’t even afford the ink for my printer to print resumes, but at least I had the rent paid so my children had a home. I have two degrees, one in child psychology and one in accounting/business management…and was looking even for waitress work and was turned down for being overqualified. When I told them to exploit me, they just laughed. If this bill doesn’t pass, get signed & go into effect in the next few days, I’m homeless. I’ve never been a whiner or a quitter, but I just don’t know what do do anymore. If it wasn’t for my kids, I might just give up for good.

tmo520 06/18/2010 8:07pm

i read everyone’s comments on here daily (and then some) and i wonder what we can do besides posting comments on this website. i have written my congressmen, etc. are they hearing us? this should have been handled weeks ago and tonight on ABC national news they reported that they don’t know how they are going to pay for it? funny, it didn’t seem to be that hard to use our hard earned $$s to bail out auto and banks. what else can we do to get this taken care of?

whywasilaidoff 06/18/2010 7:31pm

THROW THE TEA IN THE BAY!
Too bad I was busy working and paying taxes all these years and didn’t have time to watch our legislators at work. Too bad I was laid off even though I had more seniority than most of my coworkers. I get angrier every moment that I watch what happens while the Senators waste precious time and money. Does anyone else yell at the screen when they are telling stories about movies they saw or spending hours wishing happy birthdays? Thank goodness for the Hollywood walk of Fame because that is one of the most importaint issues today. ???!!!
It makes me mad that my senators voted down this bill. Who are they representing? Get to work for us and do your job!
FOR THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE.
WE ARE BROKE.
WE NEED HELP!

xman69 06/18/2010 12:25pm
in reply to tmo520 Jun 18, 2010 12:23pm

you got it only in america maybe another civil war should start up!

tmo520 06/18/2010 12:23pm
in reply to domer4 Jun 18, 2010 8:36am

agreed – it is BS. however, that is WHY we need to vote so that this type of thing doesn’t happen! bottom line is that this is another week with NO check. we help everyone all over the world (and most don’t even like us but they’ll take our $$), but we don’t help in our own backyard. hard to believe….

xman69 06/18/2010 12:15pm

What is wrong with this picture? Unemployment keeps rising even though our leaders say different, just because people who exaust their tiers are not counted anymore! I have friends that have been on unemployment 2 months longer than me but because my 2nd tier didnt run out before june 2nd i’m out in the cold why is that? i should get all my tiers as others have now it looks as i’ll be losing everything i own! i cant even buy food now or pay my bills, i will lose my home for sure!!! i want to work but ohio is so bad there are no jobs unless you work for the state they got plenty of work on bridges and roads but these people already make 25-30 bucks an hour doesnt seem fair. If you idiots in charge can bailout the banks and the automakers that alteady make millions but they can’t help the backbone of america us workers to no fault of our own lost or jobs with no hope in sight in finding decent work i mean who can live on 8 dollars an hour? PLEASE HELP US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sehall57 06/18/2010 11:55am

Is this going to come down to the President making an Executive decision to override Congress? Failure to pass legislation to extend unemployment deadlines is going to have a devastating impact on all levels in this country. How can our Senators be so blind as to not see THERE ARE NO JOBS and with employers taking the cold hearted position of excluding unemployed workers from consideration for openings Congress should be adding “Employment Status” to the list of Title 5 discriminatory conditions employers are barred from practicing. America’s employers are the ones who dumped all these workers onto awards of the state to take care of all in the name of higher dividends and profits for their shareholders. The government should be holding them totally, by proportion, accountable. They should not be allowed for creating this burden on America.

domer4 06/18/2010 8:36am
in reply to bluboy1313 Jun 18, 2010 5:45am

Looks like another week of no check. What a bunch of BS. Our government is so screwed up. This is a kick in the gut for all hard working Americans who are entitled to this benefit. I can’t believe they don’t understand what this is doing to peoples lives. And they wonder why people don’t want to take the time to vote.

bluboy1313 06/18/2010 5:45am

Yes, if this isn’t the poster child of this broken government wtf! They put so many issues together and make it impossible to have a straight up bill vote just for Unemployment and then the republicans have a new battle cry “oh we must not add to the budget!!!” WTF really is this the time for your BS now? We are watching and can see when the American people are down who really stands by them!
My God this is the third week… when it should have been handle before the break… IF the republicans belief in their cause they should return their pay to the Treasury then they too like many Americans can go without pay but their argument rings hollow when it is just a cheap tactic used when it doesn’t effect the elite rich…
A breaking new story is that many banks are now failing to repay their TARP loans!
Hey throw those bums out on the street just like they would do to us when we miss our house payments!!!
I would love to see some homeless bankers!!!

brokechristine 06/18/2010 5:39am

I am in the same boat laid of Nov 2009. I didn’t receive 99 weeks either- yep were competing with the first wave of layoffs from 2008- plus I live in a college town. Wonder if these representatives read the news about how employers don’t want to hire the unemployed. God help us.

KASwann 06/18/2010 4:50am

I was unemployed in Nov 2009 and fell through some loophole as my benefits ended May 29th 2010. WOW 26 weeks and I have exhausted my benefits? I am competing with people who have been off for 52 weeks and more and I am off any benefits? Hardly seems right that I fell through this crack. Fix it please!! Take off the extra 25 bucks and let us have our regular extended benefits please!!! Make this bill pass and pronto!

I havent received the 99 wks others have, healthy white guy, havent resorted to crime, havent scammed anyone, look for work everynight and day, havent given up, regardless of the odds If my chrysler doesnt get paid, in 2 wks, which im 8 months away from paying off, they will come take it, i lose out on every dollar ive paid for the dang thing in the last 5 yrs, i was workin hard, no degree, but im a hard worker, drug free and their talking about us doing drugs, like we could afford them, Their the rich elites, laughing at us and taking our tax money and our parents too, going to strip clubs, dishing out money to criminals and other countries, Obtusity, we dont deserve that, and as far as drug tests go, they should be illegal, Against the constitution to force us to give our dna away to anyone, if i piss on anything it will be in there faces as i go down fighting. we all have our day, yours is a coming. Pass the extension bill, make it right or i promise you havent seen anything yet.

brokechristine 06/17/2010 10:42pm

Shame Shame Shame on the PEOPLE’S representation!!!! GOVT stop lying to make your numbers look good on how f’ing great things are- wake up!!!! Do you even read the news- employers won’t hire the “unemployed” hello is this ringing a f’in bell you self righteous bastards. PASS THIS BILL and bail out the PEOPLE until you finally figure out that your earlier decisions to ship our jobs oversees is now biting your assess off. It’s GOVT WASTE that has this country in a deficit- funding a war we WILL NEVER WIN- HELP YOUR OWN PEOPLE FIRST!!! How could you f’ers take a vacation on Memorial day weekend ok money to Haiti and stick the American people then- and since then- This is ridiculious!!!!! The unemployed like me due to GM closing my dealership after you gave them my money is too qualified for minimum wage jobs that they know you’ll leave at your first chance- so now I can’t get a job- pay the rent- buy groceries etc. Do I have to move to a foreign country to get help!!!! shit

Debbie119 06/17/2010 3:56pm

First off, I applaud Sen. Brown from Ohio!!! He think he said it just like it is. Secondly, many people have to pay more for their health insurance now and many many more lost their retirement that they thought was a guarantee. I would love to know what we need to do so that Congress and the Senate have to pay at least 50% of their health insurance and I would love to do away with their retirement plans. Thirdly, I have to do twice as much for the pay cut my company did that was company wide in order for all of us to keep our jobs. I think it is HIGH TIME, that they take a HUGE pay cut.

Widestance_Politics 06/17/2010 3:43pm

Congress will either come to their senses or they will be forced into it. When a person has supported his family, government, state, city, community etc. by working an honest job and paying taxes, only to find themselves in a situation where they receive a pittance(Unemployment Insurance), then have that refused by a civil servants personal philosophy or agenda, ultimately leading the victim to lose home, car, self-respect, dignity, faith in our system……that is when people will start pushing back, what is the worst that could happen? You get sent to a prison with a roof over your head and food in your belly? At least the crooks in there won’t deny that they are using you…..There are jobs in my area as long as you aren’t overqualified, and can convince them that fast-food or retail has been your life long career goal, and that you have no intentions of leaving them for that other career you have invested many years in……

ladias 06/17/2010 12:32pm

I made minimum wage as a waitress and loved my job. But when my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 brain, and lung cancer, I quit to take care of her. When she passed away I started receiving unemployment benefits. I have been searching for a job for a year and six months now, and still nothing. The unemployment I receive gets me buy month to month, and without it I don’t know what I am going to do. I believe congress should make a decision now!!! Help us already!!

sehall57 06/17/2010 11:56am
in reply to sehall57 Jun 17, 2010 8:03am

I thought we were fighting terrorism. Looks like we are fighting ourselves. The terrorists new weapon of mass destruction? – sitting back and watching America implode on itself.