H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

loganstorm 06/21/2010 8:01am
in reply to njcoolchik Jun 21, 2010 7:31am

There is supposed to be a 10 minute debate before the 2:00 voting. Tune in at 1:45 EST to catch it all.

Harmonzhouse 06/21/2010 9:30am
in reply to Jess01869 Jun 21, 2010 9:18am

These politicians are just rediculous..what happened to the 2:00 vote? maybe my watch is wrong but it’s 2:30 on my watch.

rgreen001 06/21/2010 11:26am

This is really sad! Our Government cares more about other countries and illegal Aliens than its own Citizens.Gone are the days of proud to be American.

kevinelliott 06/19/2010 9:55pm
in reply to JoshR May 31, 2010 5:33pm

How do you propose they know who got a job who is no longer receiving benefits? They get their counts from receiving the claim forms each week that confirms people have not found work. Once you’re cut off unemployment pay, you don’t receive claim forms, and thus, they can’t assume that you have or haven’t found work. I highly doubt they can claim dubious or unknown statuses as unemployed. Thus, I think vmo1969 might actually be on to something. Think about it.

bhrodeoaz 06/19/2010 10:36am

Then Senators who oppose this bill are attacking the middle class americans like myself who work in the construction industry. They want to piss and bitch and moan about boo hoo whos gonna pay for our unemployment.? Hmm i am gonna guess we are going to pay for it our selves, with the govts ability to throw trillions of dollars to banks, automakers supervising boards(not the workers), and yet they can not help out its own citizens. I know that with out the middle class construction workers NOBODY would have a car to drive built by americans, on roads that are built by american workers, to buildings and/or work built by american workers. Yet the senators bitch and moan wondering about taxes and shit. Set your political bickering aside step the f- up and take care of the people who put your fat asses in office. Otherwise we will getyou the hell out its simple

kim2009 03/15/2010 7:39am

This article is a must read for those who want a Tier 5 extension.

leslierickard 06/19/2010 2:24pm
in reply to bhrodeoaz Jun 19, 2010 10:42am

It is bs, and it is very biased. Big Buisiness controls the media, the same way it controls the government. If they say jump the government jumps and the media is there to take their pics and report on who jumped the highest.

Unemployed1 06/19/2010 5:59pm

They are worried about the money to fund this bill and some parts of the bill should not pass. The unemployment extension should be on a seperate bill. If they are worried about funding unemployment bennefits, what will the do when people have to line up at the welfare office because they lost their unemployment? I am sure that none of us want that, none of us want welfare. We were eligbel for unemployment because we had our weeks in and the job market still sucks. Pass the bill, cant they seperate the unemployment part of the bill and then work on the rest? They need to stop worrying about who looks better in the end. Pass the damn bill already!

pattyddddd 06/21/2010 12:54pm

Ok…so they say they want to add drug testing! Well wouldn’t that mean that they would have to add procedures and places to take this test. Oh My!!! does that mean it would take more weeks to complete this process. Lets not forget that this process may or maynot have flaws. If they want to add this process it’s fine and dandy but do it in the next wave and approve what we need now!!!! I’m a little tired of these politican playing with our lives!

xman69 06/18/2010 12:15pm

What is wrong with this picture? Unemployment keeps rising even though our leaders say different, just because people who exaust their tiers are not counted anymore! I have friends that have been on unemployment 2 months longer than me but because my 2nd tier didnt run out before june 2nd i’m out in the cold why is that? i should get all my tiers as others have now it looks as i’ll be losing everything i own! i cant even buy food now or pay my bills, i will lose my home for sure!!! i want to work but ohio is so bad there are no jobs unless you work for the state they got plenty of work on bridges and roads but these people already make 25-30 bucks an hour doesnt seem fair. If you idiots in charge can bailout the banks and the automakers that alteady make millions but they can’t help the backbone of america us workers to no fault of our own lost or jobs with no hope in sight in finding decent work i mean who can live on 8 dollars an hour? PLEASE HELP US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xman69 06/18/2010 12:25pm
in reply to tmo520 Jun 18, 2010 12:23pm

you got it only in america maybe another civil war should start up!

whywasilaidoff 06/18/2010 7:31pm

THROW THE TEA IN THE BAY!
Too bad I was busy working and paying taxes all these years and didn’t have time to watch our legislators at work. Too bad I was laid off even though I had more seniority than most of my coworkers. I get angrier every moment that I watch what happens while the Senators waste precious time and money. Does anyone else yell at the screen when they are telling stories about movies they saw or spending hours wishing happy birthdays? Thank goodness for the Hollywood walk of Fame because that is one of the most importaint issues today. ???!!!
It makes me mad that my senators voted down this bill. Who are they representing? Get to work for us and do your job!
FOR THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE.
WE ARE BROKE.
WE NEED HELP!

domer4 06/18/2010 8:36am
in reply to bluboy1313 Jun 18, 2010 5:45am

Looks like another week of no check. What a bunch of BS. Our government is so screwed up. This is a kick in the gut for all hard working Americans who are entitled to this benefit. I can’t believe they don’t understand what this is doing to peoples lives. And they wonder why people don’t want to take the time to vote.

codemoney 07/08/2010 5:26am

I think were screwed.
1) WV Govenor won’t appoint someone…will run election in November. Can anyone wait for that?
2) Unemployment down ‘sharply’ 21,000. Course that is people who ran out and gave up on refiling. BUT…sounds like a good excuse to toss the bill.

plmcdowelltx1 06/21/2010 1:48pm

I am currently on Tier 3 (which has expired). In TX there is no Tier 4 but there is EB (an 20 additional weeks). I am raising two young children and have been unemployed for more than a year. The $392 I draw each week in unemployment is the only reason we are able to get by! I have worked, paid taxes and social security 30+ years. I am 25 years away from being able to draw social security, for which I am sure I will never see a dime due to government’s overspending and I’m not talking about overspending on unemployment extensions! I have also been a lifelong Republican but not anymore. When John Cornyn held the position of the Attorney General of Texas his office was absolutely no help while I was trying to recover more than $18K my exhusband owed me in back child support for my oldest child – now that he’s a US Senator, still no help. He and Kay Bailey Hutchinson will receive a nay vote from me come re-election time and hopefully from everyone else I can convince to do the same!

chrissy3384 06/24/2010 6:05am
in reply to loganstorm Jun 23, 2010 6:49pm

Hey I’m on the EB and my unemployment office told me that if and when they approve the extension that we all who is still on unemployment will be getting the extensions.

sackerman4 06/17/2010 11:42am
in reply to Unemployed1 Jun 17, 2010 8:45am

Like you, Unemployed1, I was so busy trying to find work, I did not realize that my 26 weeks were up. It is terrifying to think that in two weeks, my bills will begin to go upaid and my mortgage will be in default.

I have a feeling, though, that H.R. 4213 will be passed. But, I hope it will be soon. We are all feeling the pinch and we are all scared.

Maybe the politicians can kick in some of their “kick backs”.

ladias 06/17/2010 12:32pm

I made minimum wage as a waitress and loved my job. But when my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 brain, and lung cancer, I quit to take care of her. When she passed away I started receiving unemployment benefits. I have been searching for a job for a year and six months now, and still nothing. The unemployment I receive gets me buy month to month, and without it I don’t know what I am going to do. I believe congress should make a decision now!!! Help us already!!

Unemployed1 06/17/2010 8:45am

This is unreal! I watched some of the Senate on CSpan and they do a lot of sitting and standing around. All the do otherwise, is argue about how each party is wrong. Why does it have to be about what democrats or republicans want? It should be about what we as americans want and need. I am not working and exhausted my 26 weeks. I did not realize they were ending this week, so now I have no money. I also thought that it would be extended since I was approved for the 599 because I am attending college. I called to find out why that did not kick in. I was told that I have to wait and see if I get this other extension first because I have to exhaust all other possibilities before i get the 599 extension. So as far as I know, I will get it, just not sure when. The politicians dont care, they have money and their bills are paid! I know there are many of us in the same spot here, I hope it all goes through and soon.

tmo520 06/16/2010 3:15pm
in reply to loganstorm Jun 16, 2010 11:22am

i’m trying to follow this bouncing ball, but can’t seem to keep up! so there has not been a final vote yet? are you saying that tomorrow they will vote again and this time it will be minus the “stimulus” $25/week “extra”? OMG – i just don’t know what will happen if they don’t extend this. i guess we’ll all be filing for food stamps, welfare, medicade/medicare and whatever else is out there. i’m sick over this and can’t even sleep. to bad i don’t have a job with health benefits so that i could go to the doctor! OMG

sassysally50 03/26/2010 2:01pm

Unemployment Line Stays Long: Up to 26.4 Million Seek Full-Time Jobs

Unemployment is expected to remain above 9% for at least the next two years, according to Christopher Woock, research associate for The Conference Board, and other economists.

Can any one say “DEPRESSION”

Walnut12 06/16/2010 10:33am

This bill not passing today for some reason doesn’t suprise me one bit at all. I have paid my taxes for 20 years and never collected unemployment until this past year. I just exhausted my first extension today and the guy on the phone tells me no one has any idea as to if I will get my tier 2 extension. It figures right us Americans that pay are way and do as we should are always the one’s left in the cold. While Congress plays with our lives and gets richer by doing so. How is is that we have money to help other countries but when it comes to helping our own we are broke. I am sorry but I am severly frustrated and this bill needs to be passed one way or another. To Congress, just remember every extra day that passes by millions of peoples lives spin down the black hole we call society in America today. Help “US” to live our lives! Figure this out soon.

E5349 03/26/2010 1:59pm

No extension vote till they come back from their EASTER break ( April 12th). I wonder how they all sleep at night when there are so many of us running out of time and money. I don’t sleep well, considering I can’t find a job and my Tier 1 will run out and I will not be able to get Tier 2, thanks to those in Washington not taking care of bills HR4851 or HR4213 before they go home for two weeks. I spend my nights wondering how to feed my daughter and keep a roof over her head. I’m a single parent and the sole provider. I’ve never been on welfare or homeless, but I may be homeless soon. I will make sure that I vote in November. As far as I’m concerned both parties let us down. They were to busy fighting over the health care bill. Maybe they should walk a mile in the shoes of someone fighting just to survive. Must be nice to have a two week vacation. No worries or thoughts of being without food or shelter and no worries about those without jobs and without benefits. Thanks Congress.

rachel002 06/15/2010 4:35am
in reply to MTeinert Mar 18, 2010 7:32am

I have to agree with you on your comment. I was laid off from my place of employment 8 months ago and have been sending out resumes like crazy on a daily basis. I was making way more than what I get on unemployment! Do you think I love being on unemployment? Ummmm NO! But I have to in order to survive and keep a roof over my head. These people making the harsh and untrue remarks are people that have a job but have NO IDEA hard it is for the unemployed. Unless these people have or are going through hard times like us do not need to be leaving comments unless they have “been there and done that”. We need to take a look at why employers aren’t hiring new employees? It’s becuase they cut back on all their budgets and learned to work with “less” due to the recession. Why doesn’t congress force employers to hire a certain amount of “new” employers each month. Good luck in your job search and I wish you and your family the best! :)

loganstorm 06/16/2010 11:22am
in reply to Wormwood Jun 16, 2010 10:46am

They aren’t done voting on amendments yet (watch directtv,ch 351) so how can u say its been voted down??

peytonsplace007 07/13/2010 7:53am

This article proves what we’ve known all along. S. Kyl, the Republican Minority Whip out and out says to extend tax credits for the rich—EVEN IF IT ADDS TO THE DEFICIT!!! Yet he and his cronies are using the deficit argument in their attempts to not extend unemployment insurance. I expect some hypocrisy in politics, but this is a blatant slap to the face.

If I were wealthy, I would expect to pay more taxes. That’s just the way the cookie crumbles. In fact I would happily pay them as it shows I’ve got so much money, it doesn’t matter (ahhh, must be nice) and it is my belief we take care of each other, no matter your party or socioeconomics.

Kyl is delusional and needs medication.

PHoneycutt 06/10/2010 5:03pm
in reply to ProducerJoe Jun 06, 2010 2:05pm

Nothing is EVER said about the BILLIONS that we are giving to AFGHANISTAN – trying to convert them to DEMOCRACY – when that won’t EVER HAPPEN – BECAUSE IT IS A RELIGIOUS WAR. As soon as we leave, if we ever leave – remember Haliburton/Chency is involved – just like Haliburton/Cheney/BP is involved in the Gulf – things will go back just the way they were. They will be “blowing up” each other AGAIN!!!!! We don’t have any business being in Afghanistan. Would we allow them to come into our country and do what we are doing in their country? The leader of Afghanistan is having meetings with the Taliban and we are giving them BILLIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There, now we can “Pay as you Go” the Unemployment Benefits that are so desperately needed in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

klig103 06/22/2010 9:55am

PASS THIS BILL ALEADT!!

ca23 06/10/2010 7:09pm

Its going to come down to which Republican Senators will vote with us. These are the 4 repulicans who voted yes on our last extension. Lets direct our fax/call/email and ask them to extend benefits and add and extension for Tier 4 whose benefits have ended. Lets target them also. Its all going to come down to this. Lets do this!

-Scott Brown
-George Voinovich
-Susan Collins
-Olyimpia J. Snowe

scottbrown.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/emailscottbrown

voinovich.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact

collins.senate.gov/public/continue.cfm?FuseAction=Contact

snowe.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ContactSenate.
bergcycles1

tybeedac 06/16/2010 9:34am

I am also one of the long term unemployed. I have two college degrees and 15 years experience in my field. Finding a job that even comes close to my old pay, is almost impossible. I have become one of the middle aged unemployable people. I have skills. I work hard. I want a job. Not only do we need longer extensions of current unemployment benefits, we need a real solution. I am tried of being poor. My husband was a general residential contractor. He hasn’t had real work for a couple of years. What I want is the government to provide small business loans with stimulus monies to people like us, so we can create or buy our own small business,hopefully end our joblessness. With the loss of income over the last few years, our good credit is gone. With a car repossessed, and we have many unpaid bills. Our credit score is in the toilet and through normal routes, we can never get any money to start a business. We are worth the risk, and we don’t want to live like we have anymore.