H.R.4213 - Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010

• Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: Tax Extenders Act of 2009 as passed house.
  • Popular: American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Com- pensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

xman69 06/18/2010 12:25pm
in reply to tmo520 Jun 18, 2010 12:23pm

you got it only in america maybe another civil war should start up!

kevinelliott 06/19/2010 9:55pm
in reply to JoshR May 31, 2010 5:33pm

How do you propose they know who got a job who is no longer receiving benefits? They get their counts from receiving the claim forms each week that confirms people have not found work. Once you’re cut off unemployment pay, you don’t receive claim forms, and thus, they can’t assume that you have or haven’t found work. I highly doubt they can claim dubious or unknown statuses as unemployed. Thus, I think vmo1969 might actually be on to something. Think about it.

Spam Comment

tmo520 06/16/2010 3:15pm
in reply to loganstorm Jun 16, 2010 11:22am

i’m trying to follow this bouncing ball, but can’t seem to keep up! so there has not been a final vote yet? are you saying that tomorrow they will vote again and this time it will be minus the “stimulus” $25/week “extra”? OMG – i just don’t know what will happen if they don’t extend this. i guess we’ll all be filing for food stamps, welfare, medicade/medicare and whatever else is out there. i’m sick over this and can’t even sleep. to bad i don’t have a job with health benefits so that i could go to the doctor! OMG

peytonsplace007 07/13/2010 7:53am

This article proves what we’ve known all along. S. Kyl, the Republican Minority Whip out and out says to extend tax credits for the rich—EVEN IF IT ADDS TO THE DEFICIT!!! Yet he and his cronies are using the deficit argument in their attempts to not extend unemployment insurance. I expect some hypocrisy in politics, but this is a blatant slap to the face.

If I were wealthy, I would expect to pay more taxes. That’s just the way the cookie crumbles. In fact I would happily pay them as it shows I’ve got so much money, it doesn’t matter (ahhh, must be nice) and it is my belief we take care of each other, no matter your party or socioeconomics.

Kyl is delusional and needs medication.

Walnut12 06/16/2010 10:29am
in reply to ccofbuffalo May 21, 2010 7:32am

Walnut12 06/16/2010 10:33am

This bill not passing today for some reason doesn’t suprise me one bit at all. I have paid my taxes for 20 years and never collected unemployment until this past year. I just exhausted my first extension today and the guy on the phone tells me no one has any idea as to if I will get my tier 2 extension. It figures right us Americans that pay are way and do as we should are always the one’s left in the cold. While Congress plays with our lives and gets richer by doing so. How is is that we have money to help other countries but when it comes to helping our own we are broke. I am sorry but I am severly frustrated and this bill needs to be passed one way or another. To Congress, just remember every extra day that passes by millions of peoples lives spin down the black hole we call society in America today. Help “US” to live our lives! Figure this out soon.

loganstorm 06/16/2010 11:22am
in reply to Wormwood Jun 16, 2010 10:46am

They aren’t done voting on amendments yet (watch directtv,ch 351) so how can u say its been voted down??

klig103 06/22/2010 9:55am

PASS THIS BILL ALEADT!!

DrSnark 07/14/2010 1:34pm
in reply to oneofthe30millionunemployed Jul 13, 2010 7:52am

We need to move from typing Comments and calling politicians to focusing all our energy on action & I mean in the streets! In numbers that lamestream media can’t ignore. We are just COLLATERAL DAMAGE in a war that few besides The Ed Show even mention on TV. So we’re depressed& exhausted but we’ve got to start making noise in the streets. ACT-UP in the 80s changed political activism, FORCED politicians to deal with AIDS, got drug companies/FDA to push treatments through. The sick were stigmatized then as we are today. Sadly, most sheepAmericans don’t care about anything unless it affects them directly. I search daily for signs of a March SOMEWHERE – I know DC is far away but People! My experience is: off the computers and into the streets in a way that CAN’T be ignored! THINK about it, Nov will be too late for many of us. Fewer AIDS folks made a louder roar than we millions, and they were DYING. A call to political arms!

tybeedac 06/16/2010 9:34am

I am also one of the long term unemployed. I have two college degrees and 15 years experience in my field. Finding a job that even comes close to my old pay, is almost impossible. I have become one of the middle aged unemployable people. I have skills. I work hard. I want a job. Not only do we need longer extensions of current unemployment benefits, we need a real solution. I am tried of being poor. My husband was a general residential contractor. He hasn’t had real work for a couple of years. What I want is the government to provide small business loans with stimulus monies to people like us, so we can create or buy our own small business,hopefully end our joblessness. With the loss of income over the last few years, our good credit is gone. With a car repossessed, and we have many unpaid bills. Our credit score is in the toilet and through normal routes, we can never get any money to start a business. We are worth the risk, and we don’t want to live like we have anymore.

Unemployed1 06/17/2010 8:45am

This is unreal! I watched some of the Senate on CSpan and they do a lot of sitting and standing around. All the do otherwise, is argue about how each party is wrong. Why does it have to be about what democrats or republicans want? It should be about what we as americans want and need. I am not working and exhausted my 26 weeks. I did not realize they were ending this week, so now I have no money. I also thought that it would be extended since I was approved for the 599 because I am attending college. I called to find out why that did not kick in. I was told that I have to wait and see if I get this other extension first because I have to exhaust all other possibilities before i get the 599 extension. So as far as I know, I will get it, just not sure when. The politicians dont care, they have money and their bills are paid! I know there are many of us in the same spot here, I hope it all goes through and soon.

jmax929 03/22/2010 6:48am

I am reading comments,I have exhausted tier 3,so I guess there is no hope for me. I have been unemployed since March 2008.

oneofthe30millionunemployed 07/13/2010 6:18am
in reply to monday239 Jul 12, 2010 8:06am

Yep, it’s one of the reasons that the most qualified for the job is getting discriminated against. They just don’t want us. When they are hiring one person for a job and they receive thousands of resumes for it they are picking the one they will get the most stimulus money for.
That lie that they keep spouting about 1 job for every 5 people is a big fat lie too because I know they get thousands of resumes for every one job. They are not counting millions and millions of people in that number because they are supposedly so-called “discouraged workers.”
Also, I’ve noticed that the kids that are lucky enough to find a job aren’t getting very many hours. My daughter and all of her friends are having that problem. I believe it is because they get stimulus money for every kid they hire for the summer so, they are hiring 4 of them and giving them 10 hours each instead of 1 at 40 hours.
This country is messed up!!

oneofthe30millionunemployed 07/13/2010 6:05am
in reply to Jess01869 Jul 12, 2010 7:26pm

Your July 31st date is irrelevant to the situation. If they pass this and still make it retroactive like they are supposed to then you will get the back pay for the weeks you have missed whether it is before July 31st or not. When you re-file on July 31st for your new benefit year it will deny you at first because you haven’t worked recently but just ignore that and if the date extension is passed you will move on to Tier 2 anyway.

lordgotmilk 07/15/2010 7:16pm

Haven’t had time today to check back in here. Was glad to see the front page of the site. So, they are going to push through hr5618 for now. I’m not sure with how he worded it if they would then be working on hr4213 as well at a later date, which would bring back the extra $25. Anyways, to those who’ve been following along. We managed to get a little help. Our electric will stay on thanks to the local community action program. They paid most of what we needed to keep it on and then sent doctor letters in, so that they can’t shut us off due to medical needs in our home.

I’ve done the preliminary development of an Ohio based website for now. I’ll be fine tuning it and hopefully, with a little of the retro check, I’ll be able to buy the hosting and domain name. I designed it to go hand-in-hand with this site. It’s designed to be an easy to see showing of how our Senators are voting.

unemployeddad 06/21/2010 9:34am
in reply to Harmonzhouse Jun 21, 2010 9:30am

nope its right, killing time I guess

MsDubya 03/26/2010 1:45am

The GOP is once again blocking a bill to let unemployed move from One Tier to the Next AND TO ALLOW AN ADDITIONAL 53 WEEKS OF UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS FOR LONG TERM UNEMPLOYED.

kim2009 03/15/2010 4:54am

From http://progressillinois.com/quick-hits/content/2010/03/12/number-day-16 MediaMaven:
(post 1 of 3)

I recently received a message regarding this board.

I am from a DC PR agency, and while I cannot professionally endorse what you are trying to accomplish (conflict of interest purposes), I can provide you some information to help your cause.

I have read some of the great post regarding amending HR4213. I would like to advise another vehicle to get your message out there – a press release. All a press release needs is a:

Headline (center space)
Summary (goes directly under heading – center space)

(double space)

Body

Contact Info:

oneofthe30millionunemployed 07/13/2010 6:08am

The Senate isn’t even talking about the extension and it’s not even on their schedule for this week. I’m starting to wonder if they are even going to pass this at all. They think everyone’s just going to disappear into a black hole and forget about it or something. Unbelievable!!!!

leslierickard 06/22/2010 6:34am
in reply to monday239 Jun 22, 2010 6:11am

I am a single mother of two, and a full-time college student. I do not qualify for welfare…beacause the unemployment I have received is considered “unearned income”. I also do not qualify for food stamps for the very same reason. My phone was cut off today, so its not looking like I will be getting a call about a job anytime soon. If this doesn’t pass my kids will be homeless next week, no job, no money…I really don’t know what to do. I have no family to help me out, I’m just stuck.

Ktula7 06/22/2010 7:51am

Just pass the damn bill already!!! We’re dying out here!

carterpc 06/22/2010 9:14am
in reply to nikki8712 Jun 22, 2010 8:59am

i worked in my job 37 years never collected unemployment. Id say my employers paid for my 99 weeks and then some. Sadly no one wants to hire us baby boomers that dont have a college degree and my heart goes out to the families struggling with this. This is disgusting that our government would try to do this to us..these people shouldnt get paid either and we are the ones who have made them rich beyond our wildest dreams. Their salaries are from taxes us hard working folks have paid and from money from lobbyists. they should be ashamed of themselves and our president should have the authority to override all of this political nonsense. I actually heard one of the politicians saying this was being done to make Obama look bad…SICK!

unemployedwife 06/22/2010 9:19am

I can understand cutting off after Tier 4. That is extremely long term and you have had plenty of time to at least get a minimum wage paying job. What about those of us who haven’t entered Tier 1 yet? My 26 weeks dried up this week and without that I can’t even continue my job search. Next week I will no longer have a telephone or enough gas in my 35 year old piece of crap car (lost my car that was only 5 months from being paid off to repossession) to get on the internet to search. Next I will lose my rented home, because I already lost the home I owned earlier this year. Today, I am ashamed to be an American.

monday239 07/12/2010 6:38pm
in reply to sassysally50 Jul 12, 2010 1:52pm

no one replying here has received 99 weeks, guaranteed. You’re barking up the wrong tree sassy.

textdog 07/13/2010 7:43am

hey everyone, i have been working on the big banks and the bailout, we have focused on the unemployment they caused. we’re anewwayforward.org.

we now have a petition going right after brian moynihan, ceo of bank of america to proactively lobby for the unemployment extensions — he has a responsibility to make this extension happen. Silent support is not enough! We hope you can sign – let’s get Brian!

please, please, we need to know what you think — the way in which the biggest banks can wreak havoc and get away with it is absolutely unfair and shows how broken things are!

please sign if you can, and tell others. we need to organize!!!!!!

kim2009 03/15/2010 7:39am

This article is a must read for those who want a Tier 5 extension.

littleindian 06/23/2010 9:50am
in reply to loganstorm Jun 23, 2010 8:16am

Does anybody Really know what time it is…..?

I never understood the words to that song until now!

rachel002 06/15/2010 4:35am
in reply to MTeinert Mar 18, 2010 7:32am

I have to agree with you on your comment. I was laid off from my place of employment 8 months ago and have been sending out resumes like crazy on a daily basis. I was making way more than what I get on unemployment! Do you think I love being on unemployment? Ummmm NO! But I have to in order to survive and keep a roof over my head. These people making the harsh and untrue remarks are people that have a job but have NO IDEA hard it is for the unemployed. Unless these people have or are going through hard times like us do not need to be leaving comments unless they have “been there and done that”. We need to take a look at why employers aren’t hiring new employees? It’s becuase they cut back on all their budgets and learned to work with “less” due to the recession. Why doesn’t congress force employers to hire a certain amount of “new” employers each month. Good luck in your job search and I wish you and your family the best! :)

sackerman4 06/17/2010 11:42am
in reply to Unemployed1 Jun 17, 2010 8:45am

Like you, Unemployed1, I was so busy trying to find work, I did not realize that my 26 weeks were up. It is terrifying to think that in two weeks, my bills will begin to go upaid and my mortgage will be in default.

I have a feeling, though, that H.R. 4213 will be passed. But, I hope it will be soon. We are all feeling the pinch and we are all scared.

Maybe the politicians can kick in some of their “kick backs”.