H.R.45 - Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009

To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Short: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes. as introduced.

AlmostFreeAmerican 04/30/2009 10:25am

I could not agree with you more! I too am a military veteran (8 years)and a strong supporter of the Constitution. Like you, my oath was to uphold the Constitution – not the politicians, not unconstitutional codes or statutes. That oath does not have an expiration date. (Yes, I’m an Oath-Keeper.)

This bill, which needs to be stiffled immediately, is clearly unconstitutional and the ‘representative’ that introduced it should be run out of D.C.

Doesn’t anyone find it strange that Vermont, which consistantly boasts one of the lowest crime rates in America every year, allows its citizens to CARRY (concealed and unconcealed) their firearms in public; yet now the feds want us to get a license for the sake of safety? Hrmmm… sounds like they need to check their facts.

zsu2357 05/11/2009 4:18pm

got tour back!!

tharris3000 03/16/2009 3:41am

I don’t believe that I can improve on the sentiments or the reality of this comment. The first Civil war was started on a much lesser important issue. The Revolutionary war is more representative of what can unfortunately happen if the government (Democrats) continue to attempt on the 2nd Ammendment. It is the only one that ensures the existance of the others.

JamesGonzales 03/29/2009 11:03am

You are absolutely right about that…. What the Government WANTS the people to forget is that the 2nd. Amendment has nothing to do with hunting and only a little to do with self defense. The 2nd. Amendment was writen, and our RIGHT ot own and cary arms was guarenteed, in order to protect not only ourselves and our families, but mostly to give the people the means to defend ALL of our rights and the constitution against a corrupt Government, such as the one we are now (for quite some time) seeing.

Registration and licensing gives the Government the tools necessary to disarm (by force) and have TOTAL control over it’s citizens…

I DO NOT trust a government that doesn’t trust the people it governs. They are public servents, who work for us. The Constitution was writen so those rokes could not be reversed (unless we sheepishly let them be).

roadlesstraveled 05/04/2009 1:56pm

I worry. If they start this now, in 40 years there will be no such thing as self defense or gun ownership. Our jails will be filed of pot heads and (but not to be confused with) Bill 45 protesters, whom they will call “terrorists”.

Something innocent turned into something evil…buy Wallshington alone.

pcfixer 05/04/2009 4:28pm

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.—That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, —That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

scarpe01 06/30/2009 9:22am

Actually, its the big cities more than anything. People here (I am a Bostonian myself) don’t grow up around guns. We don’t have a culture of gun ownership, we don’t understand its importance to rural peoples.

I had the good fortune of having family in rural towns that I got to visit growing up. I got to experience the culture, got to learn that guns are just tools to be used, and not fearsome killing machines.

This is a cultural issue, and one that I only see being solved through education.

bignate 09/23/2009 12:58pm

Hey Bro, dont include ALL of “kalifornia” in that. Over half the population of this statis on your side. Beside’s most of us are not “from” here.

JohnHumphrey3 02/24/2009 2:36pm

I agree with your estimation on the ability of government to dienfranchise itself from the people. This is an attack on our freedoms as endorsed by those who want complete control of its citizenry by force. Yes, that is grounds for revolution or civil war.

Filtered Comment [ show ]

drsgt7 02/27/2009 12:09am

Hey lefty, did you read what you wrote, “a well regulated militia necessary to the security of a free state.” Sounds like ground for Civil War to me…you are obviously not a true student of the Constitution because you don’t even know what it means.

Hey go have some more Koolaid…I think I heard Jim calling you!

Anonymous 02/27/2009 6:24am

You’re missing the point ruick, it’s the beginning of the slippery slope. Go watch Red Dawn and pay attention to what the invaders do with the governments records of gun owners.

Anonymous 02/27/2009 6:40am

Please, Representatives, Senators, stop this robbery of my freedom. After reading what this bill is going to do, I now fear my government, I fear my President, and I fear the US representatives that introduced this bill.

I want the freedoms guaranteed to me in the Bill of Rights, I want my Second Amendment freedom. We the people are not stupid, we know what this is about, and we know what the outcome is. It is no secret that the authors of this bill wish to take all guns from all citizens. Please. Stop.

Those of you in support of this bill are cruel, totalitarian, mean spirited, and have no concern for American Freedom. I will remember every Representatives and Senators name in support, and so will many others.

I will be silent no longer.

-Anonymous (for honest fear of being one day thrown in jail for my viewpoint)

Anonymous 03/02/2009 1:55pm

You said

<<<<that is an interesting point you make….but I don’t think Ruick missed the point….he is athiest…yet he participates with the UCC church….who support gay marriages…my cousin is a member…it is their Constitutional right to their version of religious belief and what they will sanction as long as they uphold the Constitutional rights of others….they are entitled to their religious beliefs too…I’ve said in another post, if we believe in protecting and upholding our Constitution, we cannot eat parts of it and leave the rest to be demolished or reconstructed to fit specific appetites…right now it is people that believe guns kill people so we should ban them…the slippery slope started with Bush, he tried turning it into a vessel of discrimination(s) verses FREEDOMS…>>>>>

Anonymous 02/27/2009 10:18am

This law may not “change anything int eh constitution,” but I promise you it is just the first step. Obama and his minions know that if they tried to come in and take everyone’s guns away they’d have a revolt on their hands. They are craftier than that.
    Look at how Hitler took over Germany or what Hussein did in the Middle East. The same thing is happening here, but no one can see it! The more power we give them, the fewer freedoms we have. This is NOT the way our ancestors set up our government.

Anonymous 02/27/2009 2:11pm

Another believer that thinks the government is looking out for him. If they take away your rights slowly and just a piece at a time it doesn’t hurt so much. As a matter of fact people such as yourself bend over and take it with a smile on their face. Others believe this is one small part of a bigger picture and wish to stop it before it begins. I am with all the other people that want to fight to keep my right to bear arms without infringement or people saying how I have to store my guns. You think a robber or someone that wants to break in and hurt my family is going to wait until I get my gun out of “the safe place”? C’mon!!! Wake up!! I want to be able to put my gun where I believe to be the best place. Government get out of my house!!!!!

Anonymous 02/28/2009 5:30am

the Constitution also states the the Gov’t does not have the right to infringe on the rights we have already…therefore, for the Gov’t to enforce registration, id’s, and all IS an infringement…it also stops my right to protect my nontaxable property, and my family from the gov’t that is trying to do the infringing…sounds to me like YOu are the balbbering idiot.

woode3802 04/29/2009 11:41am

Gun Licensing is the 1st step to “CONFISCATION” They will know where and who has them, “EXCEPT THE CRIMINALS”. This has been the 1st step that any country has used to restrict and control LAWFULL Gun Owners. You forgot to add in your interpatation of the 2nd,that the fouding Fathers also put this in To prevent a CORRUPT TRYANICAL GOVT from taking away all our Right’s.

A Man with a Gun is a “CITIZEN” A Man Without is a “SUBJECT”

AlmostFreeAmerican 04/30/2009 10:31am

What part of “shall not be infringed” don’t you understand? The licensing scam IS an infringement. It is a way to control, track, and target We the People from securing the Right to protect ourselves from crime as well as a rouge government.

RBJ 03/06/2009 6:30am

I think sponsoring a bill to restrict citizens’ firearms is a foolish act for politicians in light of how they are expecting citizens and taxpayers to bail out their Wall Street and banking cronies.

We want our country to thrive economically and every other way. Right now we’re willing to pay pay pay pay pay if it will benefit America. But that can change. Or am I the only one who is beginning to think we have “taxation without representation”? Politicians need to buckle down, stop worrying about what perks and privileges they can glean for themselves while in office, do the job they were elected to do, stop fighting among themselves like kindergartners, and leave our right to keep and bear arms ALONE.

Repair the economic damage done to our country, by Washington, and focus on promoting citizens’ well being until that job is done.

skeeterriggs 07/15/2009 2:26am

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.—Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government.
    I know this was written about Britain, but I see it pertaining to present day more and more as Obama and Pelosi try to suppress our rights.

Foundersfury 08/18/2009 4:33am

Just as King George’s actions against the colonies firearms rights helped ignite the greatest freedom and liberty experiment known to man, this tyranny will also fall if they continue to under-estimate the resolve of the Sleeping Giant. Those of us who will defend this right because it gives us our freedom are far more in number than those who will surrender there rights to registration and confiscation. In addition those serving in the armed forces in great majority and police will not obey this order if it comes. They like Yamamoto know what it means to have a rifleman behind every tree.

Come and Take It….from my cold dead hands and MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS AMERICA and those who are resisting the tyranny that we are now faced with.

stearman59791 10/26/2009 4:44am

Hell, I remember good o’l Bobby Rush, cop killing Black Panthers in Chicago, but then all politicians from Chicago are criminals whats so new about this. You cant find a Democrat in Chicago that isn’t a criminal.

xraygirl30 11/12/2009 9:45pm

or any politician, for that matter!!
    I am starting to think we need a bunch of people who aren’t politicians running the government… and let us “common folk” start to take the country back.

GARYBELL12 02/19/2009 4:36am

Bad Bill, But what do you expect out of a Democrat? He will not be in congress long.

Anonymous 02/27/2009 10:20am

I hope you’re right, but am afraid this is just the beginning. Anyone on Obama’s side isn’t going anywhere, and anyone who helps him get more power he’ll keep even closer.

Anonymous 02/21/2009 9:54am

One only needs to look at Mexico to realize gun control does not work. Mexican citizens are not allowed to have guns of any kind (without a very hard to get permit).

Today criminals have over run the country to the point of near collapse. It is no longer safe to travel any where in that country.

Yet the criminals have enough guns to start a war! What do they care if they do one more illegal act.

The same thing would happen in the US. I for one will also become a criminal and will not obey this law.

Filtered Comment [ show ]

Anonymous 02/22/2009 12:33pm

The bill does not prohibit people from owning a gun? At what point does the governing body decide that your or I are not of “sound mind”. That is a purely subjective observation on anyone’s part. It could be that one does not think that I’m in my right mind simply because I do something they don’t like – smoke, drink, own old cars, maybe because I like dogs instead of cats. Accountability I can go for, but for them to create a government position to decide on the soundmindedness of its citizens is preposterous.

Anonymous 02/23/2009 7:06am

Exactly! The way you hear some politians talk, anyone who hunts or eats what they kill is crazy. Come on folks! Quit trying to control gun ownership and enforce the laws that are already on the books – MURDER, THEFT, RAPE, ETC! Do these politians honestly think that restricting a citizen’s right to own a weapon is going to make him or her less likely to commit a crime that they are ALREADY not likely to commit? Personally I say the whole political system needs to take a lesson from Bill Gates and Windows – it’s not working correctly; REBOOT IT!!