H.R.45 - Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009

To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Short: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes. as introduced.

• brian4jc 01/14/2009 11:45am
    + 72

Columnist David Codrea of Guns Magazine, calls it a “ridiculous affront to liberty.” “This is nothing less than a declaration of war on American gun owners,” Codrea writes in Gun Rights Examiner. – Drew Zahn, WorldNet Daily

One thing we don’t need is more restrictions on gun owners. Again, we find that the US Government is looking to impose laws that restrict those of us who are law-abiding citizens. If they think that a law of this nature will keep the criminals from having guns, they’re dead wrong. In each instance of gun restrictions, all we find is that the only people who have weapons are the criminals. Do we think that somehow criminals will see the light and turn in their weapons? No…only those of us who legally carry will be forced to abide or become criminals ourselves. Stay safe…stay armed.

Anonymous 02/04/2009 8:20am

This bill can well be the straw that broke the camels back when it comes to the Federal and State Governments attempt to register take away and restrict or control a private citizens right to own and bear firearms. This country could well be headed for a second civil war over the issue of firearm ownership and possession. And believe me its not the gun or firearm itself that Im talking about its the FREEDOM that they denote. It has been said that the tree of freedom has to feed with the blood of patroits from time to time, and this issue could well lead to that feeding.

Innocent people can and will be hurt if this bill is passed for it is the 2nd Admendment to our own Constitution that gives us the basic freedom to exist under the other amendments. Our right to own arms is there to keep Government Tranny away from our front doors and homes. This bill will give them and others the right to restrict take away and modify our Constitution as it now stands. Do not take these people lightly they entend to take away our freedoms as they now exist. I have no doubt of their intentions, and they should have no doubt that this county could be launched into a second civil war over just this issue. I for one will never give up my firearms, and for the lack of a better phrase, I will only say what has been said a thousand times before…they may have my firearms when they pry it from my cold dead fist.
    Anonymous 02/15/2009 8:27am
    + 45

Amen. This could well be the start of secession of the REAL America away from the Northeast states and Kalifornia.

They will not be able to build enough jail cells to hold those of us who will continue to maintain our firearms for the protection of ourselves and our families…and I speak as retired from 27 years of Law Enforcement. Gonna also have a hard time making cops enforce the proposed laws… There is a lot of truth to the saying “When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.”

Anonymous 02/19/2009 5:40am
    + 30

I couldn’t agree more the politicians of this country are a bunch of retarded corrupt idiots who on a daily basis basically force the hand of law abiding Americans. I simply cannot understand how the corrupt idiots think this bill would do anything to quell crime in America or anywhere else. I hate guns and war and violence and if I had a magic wish i’d rid the world of all firearms and munitions of any kind but we all know thats not gonna happen. So as the old saying goes if you take the guns away from the good people only the BAD people WILL have guns!!!!! As far as a civil war goes in the earlier comment I believe that person mispoke.I believe what he/she intended to say was that this country IS headed for a REVOLUTION , it’s only a matter of time now.

CAptive 04/21/2009 6:08am
    + 10

I agree with your point, but sadly, those corrupt politicians are neither retarded nor idiots. Talk of crime reduction is a thin veneer. They are crafty and determined opponents. Never underestimate your opponent. Control of arms is about control of the people. Consider:

100 to 120 M adults (potential voters) legally own firearms (BATF); Census est. 201M adult citizens; Usual est. for the 2008 election is 69M Obama, 59M McCain. Gun owners are a sleeping majority. No wonder Obama avoided “the gun issue”. Step one complete, The Party is back in power… step 2 is retain power.

HR 45 would, retroactively, make every gun owner a felon for doing nothing, literally. The bill provides 60 days to get your license for the guns you already own; how likely is it that the any federal agency can set up a licensing system in 60 days that can handle 100M people? This bill can be used not only to strip you of your right to arms, it can strip you of your right to vote. Think about that.

scarpe01 06/30/2009 9:29am

Captive,

I agree that talk of crime reduction is a thin veneer, but not one of true malice. Political animals are the biggest cowards that you will ever meet, and you can take that to the bank.

Its less about control, and more about not losing elections. Thats why we have a DHS and TSA, not because we need them. Air travel was no less safe on September 12, 2001 than it was September 12, 1985. But…nobody wanted to be the guy who said “we don’t need more security” after the next attack, if it ever comes.

You give these guys FAR too much credit.

danielstraley 06/14/2009 7:34am

sad as it seems the police well do as told, just as the National Gaurd did in the South after the hurricanes,

scarpe01 06/30/2009 9:32am

If its any consolation, I ran into a nice guy at a party a few years back. He told me that he was actually on the police force here. However, he decided he had to leave because “I realized that I had lost track of the number of times that my job asked me to absolutely ruin someones life for something that I did myself a thousand times”

Its sad the disrespect our country shows for our police forces by asking them to use the power of the state in ways that don’t make sense. However, not everyone just falls into line forever.

jackofmanytrades 01/02/2010 10:40pm

He was probably talking about marijuana use or stealing cable or something like that. I doubt he was talking about guns. But if he was, I’d be interested to know that.

1mattwhiting 07/14/2009 4:20pm

I’m confused about this statement. Are you trying to say that police will come to take you guns if the Feds tell them to. I hate to let you know that it would be a cold day in hell before most of the cops I know would help disarm Americans. I for one would not be in the group that would try to take a single gun away from a law abiding American. Because it would not be long before they would have to come to my house and take all my guns.

Seasoldier 09/05/2009 6:42am

Typical politicians, trying to get a bill passed on the sneak. They want my guns, come and try and get them.

• Moderated Comment

Anonymous 02/25/2009 3:17pm
    + 18

Amen to that. I live in Illinois which is 95% red outside Chicago. Ive been advocating Chicago become its own state so the rest of Illinois can be a good (red) state.

I keep hearing people bash Illinois for what Chicago does. Barak Obama – Chicago, Roland Burris – Chicago, Rod Blowjobavich – Chicago, DICK! Durbin – Chicago…

Please people dont blame Illinois for what Chicago does.

Anonymous 02/27/2009 7:59am
    + 16

I live in Indiana and have a “License to Carry a Handgun”, but I cannot carry it 12 miles to cross the border into Illinois. Or in Ohio or New Jersey for that matter. BUT I can go to Navada and get an out-of-state handgun license, and then I could carry my handgun in all the above mentioned states. Why? Try Chicago, Cleveland and Atlantic City, and their connection to the Navada gambling syndicate.

A Hoosier and proud of it (even if Indy and East Chicago put us in the blue column this election. We are also 95% red state!)

BKH 04/19/2009 3:22pm

Ohio has reciprocity for CCW holders and even though Cleveland is in court fighting for home rule the Police Union is advising it’s members to abide by the existing state law.

freebird 03/18/2009 5:07am

and the thing that stinks about this bill comin from this guy is he was the founder of the Illinois black panther party!now I don’t care what a person’s affiliations are,but just because he became another puppet for Daley,and went on to bigger politics,does not give him the right to ram his HYPOCRISY down the throats of law abiding citizens.

freebird 03/18/2009 5:09am

Bobby Rush I am talkin about sorry.

chefcj 03/22/2009 6:22pm
    + 16

You can be pro-gun but anti-republican. Why is it always red and blue, Democrat and Republican or Right and Left. I am an Independent (think for myself instead of letting a party define me), progressive ( not all change is good but change is necessary), moderate ( find the best solution for all those involved within reason) and a gun owner ( who believes HR 45 is a bad idea). I do not want to register my guns only to re-apply in 5 years with my little picture ID. What is next, making me out to be like a sex offender and listing to all my neighbors that a “gun owner” is in their neighborhood or that I fail to meet some new criteria when I re-apply therefore making me a criminal.

I blame ALL bad politicians and their pundits for all that they do. John Boener-R is just as destructive and counterproductive as Nancy Pelosi-D. They need to work for the people and not themselves.

Beachman 05/27/2009 8:47am

You can’t be a progressive and a moderate. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressivism, "The term “progressive” is today often used in place of “liberal”. It refers to communism. Although the two are related in some ways, they are separate and distinct political ideologies." It’s awesome to be a liberal if you look at the 19th century definition, but the 20th and 21st century definitions leave little to be desired if you treasure freedom. I know Independents like to sit on the fence, but you can’t have it both ways. It’s time for Independents to make a choice about what they believe in and stop making decisions based on moistening their finger and sticking it up in the air to see which way the wind blows.

randar 09/29/2009 9:07am

Actully us Moderates should form a new Party to combat the backward conservatism of the Repulicans and stop Democtatic parties destruction of out freedoms. Think of Moderates as the best of both worlds.

danielstraley 06/14/2009 7:42am

If the two partys were that differnt you would not have seen John McCain,He is usless to anyone that calls they selfs consertive!

ksredbluffwest 06/29/2009 12:26pm

It’s fence sitters (Independents) that stuck the USA with this disasterous Administration. Please get some principles and take a position on the issues. Either that or don’t bother voting next time. My children simply can’t afford it anymore. I saw all I needed to see with the below statement you made:

*John Boener-R is just as destructive and counterproductive as Nancy Pelosi-D.

What?

• Spam Comment

danielstraley 06/14/2009 7:38am

Anyone that has purchased a gun of any kind has already been recorded. do you think the recored of gun sales has not been tracked.

bjb55oops 07/22/2009 6:18pm

What about the state of Texas where you can purchase a gun in the streets. This doesn’t get recorded.

specoperator33 07/26/2009 12:59pm

Naturally, you are talking about criminal sale and possession of firearms.
    It’s not just a phenomenon exclusive to Texas….
    This bill would ONLY apply to law abiding citizens.

randar 09/29/2009 9:10am

I live in Texas. So tell me which street is this?

Bowtie41 08/17/2009 9:20pm

I agree.I live in Illinois about 5 miles from St. Louis,MO.I don’t know who the bureaucrats are trying to fool?Many,many times,people have gone across the river to get a gun illegally in bad neighborhoods,committed crimes,and chucked it out the window crossing the river bridge back home.All this resolution will do is make more criminals.All of my guns are registered,I would be stupid to use them for a crime.Just because it’s easy to get one illegally,doesn’t make it right.If they change the law,all of us law-abiding citizens who are either trying to protect our families,or enjoy the sport of shooting,will be labeled criminals.They need to get their heads out of their rears,and at least ATTEMPT to get the ILLEGAL weapons off the streets.I wonder if any of our senators/representatives,if they were ever confronted with a robber or worse with a gun,is going to ask..“Is that thing registered?”or how many keep their OWN guns that aren’t in the books?Just my 2 cents.

Bowtie41 08/17/2009 9:24pm

On second thought,forget all about concealed carry.Let us SHOW our LEGAL weapons,and I guarantee there will be less crimes,because the bad guys will know who not to mess with.

romoore14 08/18/2009 12:59am

Yes, very true Bowtie41! When the criminal sees your Glock on your hip he’ll definitely think twice before victimizing you! What better deterrent for crime plus it takes the guess work out of the equation for the bad guy on whether you are concealed carrying or not!