H.R.45 - Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009

To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Short: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes. as introduced.

• richbegelfer 07/04/2009 9:24am

The only regulation of firearms that can have any effect upon criminals is regulation that imposes mandatory long jail time or execution (that’s the death sentence) for crimes committed with a gun. Any other attempt at controlling guns, their possession or use, is a violation of 2A. Does it need to be any more complicated than that? Simplify folks … simplify. This is not rocket science. We are headed for big social and governmental revolution here in the U.S., and it is not far off at all. I for one, will be armed in my home and out on the street so that I may defend myself and my family from criminals and any oppressive governmental actions.

• SFGA 07/04/2009 4:36pm

Happy Independence day fellow Americans.

I read this article today and it sent chills through me. Not because I didn’t know about the situation, but because it was a wake up call for me.

• SFGA 07/04/2009 4:59pm

There is also an article in the current Back woods home magazine that is not available to read on their website but should be read. It is called “An American dictatorship” and relates directly to the posts from Patriots above, and that knife rule he is helping fight.

It tells how federal agencies can pass rules that have the same affect on us as laws, but they are never voted on, and most people never learn about them until they are passed and it is too late to do anything about it. You don’t get to read about them and comment on them on sites like this before they are put into affect because they are only “rules” and not bills. Read up a little on that pocket knife “rule” posted above and you will learn how it works, and how it affects us all, just like any new law would.

That one is only the tip of the iceberg of many new federal agency “rules” in the works.

• Liberty1 07/04/2009 5:33pm

We Need To Think A Little Differently…

“I’ve been mulling over a couple of things for the past few months, and I know basically what I want to say, but there’s a whole bunch of concepts and threads that weave themselves throughout my thoughts. But, I’m going to try to keep myself on track and on point, and hopefully I can do it quick enough that you’ll have no problem finishing the article. The problem is that we are losing ground. By “we”, I’m talking about primitive skills guys, outdoors people, gun owners, knife lovers, and all the folks that embrace our heritage and the things that made our country unique and let us blaze a trail through the wilderness to create this great nation. I recently saw an article that made gun owners, conservatives, and republicans interchangeable—which they aren’t. But, in the eyes of the general population, we are all of the same ilk".

Liberty1 07/04/2009 5:35pm

“Myself, I am more of a conservative than a republican, and probably even more of a libertarian when it comes down to it. But, the thrust of that article that painted us with one broad stroke was that we were a declining population consisting mainly of middle-aged white men. Hmmm. I don’t think I’m middle-aged yet”.

Happy fourth everyone.

• katolac 07/05/2009 4:10pm

If all our freedom is taken away, will we even have a reason to celebrate fourth of July? Isn’t freedom what this holiday is all about?

shadow1372 07/05/2009 10:14pm

The only reason they pass new laws, is because the law-abiding are the ones that they directly affect. Otherwise, why make any laws at all?? The lawless aren’t going to change when a new law is made. They can’t control the lawless, only the lawful. So, to feel good about what they’ve done, they pass new laws to force authority over honest citizens, thus satisfying libs. By circumventing the the voting process on each item, they simply use the strong handed act of passing a bill into law, no matter how it affects the Bill of Rights.

The only way to remedy this, once passed, is through the Courts, and the way the SCOTUS is shaping up, the Constitutionalists don’t have much of a chance, except to join lawbreakers, or bow to the will of the law makers, who circumvent the will of the People without second thought. And what is sad is most people in America do not have a clue how this works, and half do not care….

• CowboyRick 07/06/2009 2:23pm

O’Bama has a plan, he will not take the guns away, but his servants will. They have already begun with this and many more “BILLS” we must be vigilant eventhough it may do no good. I do not see this Country going into Revolution or even Civil War, the people are too divided on too many fronts as always. There is no “COMMON GOAL” and it will pass into the night unfortunately.

Patriots 07/07/2009 2:13pm

Yes…..and….. no.

America was going under long before Obama got elected.

Who caused that?

That is the question I asked countless times as an old Republican.

So now what?

I wish I knew the answer.

• mjwooten 07/07/2009 4:38pm

You know, I don’t own a gun and really don’t care to. However, I believe firmly in the framers of the constitution and the second amendment. If I wanted to buy a gun, hey, I have no real issue with a background check and a waiting period..whatever the laws are in my state. But, the Federal Government does not have the Constitutional right to dictate to the states nor the people those very same gun laws. That, I believe is stated in the tenth amendment.

Bottom line, though. Anti gun activists think that all these regulations will stop the killing. It will not. You cannot change the human animal no matter how many choruses of “We are the World” you sing. If someone flies off in a rage, has “mental issues”, lacks the self control, they WILL find a way to kill or do harm to their intended target. You cannot change human nature. Only WE can control our actions. You cannot be legislated into submission, for we as humans, will only rebel. Criminals will not obey the law.

Patriots 07/13/2009 7:08pm

You said it well.

The law abiding people should have the legal means to defend themselves against those people that are willing to harm, or kill us for their own reason. We will all always have to, and have always had to live with people like that since day one.

These kind of laws only take away peoples right to defend themselves.

NO LAW will change what some will do.

These people were Felons, and could not legally own a gun at all.

Could a gun have stopped them?

Did the law stop them from doing this in my state?

CHESHIRE, Connecticut (AP) — Two parolees with long criminal records were charged Tuesday with breaking into a doctor’s home, forcing a hostage to withdraw cash from a bank and setting fire to the house several hours later. The doctor’s wife and two daughters were killed.

• spazmechanic 07/07/2009 6:24pm

ok, i believe that the gun law they are trying to pass will backfire worse then an old buick… Don’t think i will work out.. Trying to take the one to the things that makes this country free….

• simpsomatt 07/09/2009 11:00am

I am not totally opposed to gun control. I support some reasonable regulation of some types of weapons. I’m definitely not a fan of the NRA. But this bill is beyond belief.

The requirement for a license for almost any type of firearm is a little more than I’m willing to accept.

The requirement that licensed firearm owners must keep their guns away from people under 18 is ludicrous. I’m in favor of protecting kids, but it’s asinine to say that a 15-year-old can’t handle a firearm.

• ProConstitution 07/10/2009 4:01am

It is a known and well documented fact that gun control does not lower crime it increases it. The authors of the constitution put it in there for a reason. Read the Federalist papers. Our forefathers knew that any governement can becoming self serving and unmanageable. They left an out in the constitution to make sure the people always have the final say. It’ll just a matter of how long the people are willing to put up with governement overbearence. I beleive we’re getting close. Bottom line, more federal goverenment is bad, less is good. Read a history book.

• b58 07/10/2009 5:23am

Looks like more government control to me. Why don’t that bunch in Washington do what they were elected to do instead of sitting up there and taking thing away from us or passing some law against us. Instead of them working for us they are working against us. Congress must thing control of guns will control crime but if a criminal is going to kill or rob someone he can do that with a ball bat a butcher knife or rocks.Are they going to control all of that also. I will never vote for anyone that wants any kind of gun control.

• Barbara24 07/10/2009 8:38am

Government provided housing, government provided cars, government provided education, government provided health care, government provided climate, government provided cell phones, government provided food, government provided ad nauseum. Take my gun away? I don’t think so. We have an out of control government that doesn’t give a rat’s fanny about the American taxpayer. We don’t need a government provided Police State. The only thing between us and them is our right to defend outselves against tyranny from ANY source.

• JBavet 07/10/2009 3:04pm

A former police chief has said a few years ago before the “Brady Bill”; FIRST REGISTRATION, THEN CONFISCATION!

• sutahan 07/11/2009 11:31am

So, this bill would make all law abiding citizens criminals and guilty of a crime until they prove themselves innocent by licensing their once legally owned guns? Isn’t this a backward allusion to any citizen’s legal rights? Now going along with the so-many others that oppose this bill, aren’t the vast majority of crimes committed by criminals that purchased a firearm illegally? As if by some magical force they would license the illegal firearm once the bill is passed. This absurd bill won’t accomplish anything seeing that those whom illegally posses a firearm will continue to do so once the bill is past. The only thing this law will do is further control and punish the average law abiding citizen. Please reconsider the rights of all Americans, and vote against this bill, please.

• Patriots 07/13/2009 7:30pm

I honestly believe that the story I posted above could have ended, if it was my home, this way.

“Two parolees with long criminal records Tuesday broke into a doctor’s home, forcing a hostage to withdraw cash from a bank, and were killed by the armed homeowner”.

• Patriots 07/13/2009 7:51pm

I dare any anti-gun people out there to look at these three women that died at the hands of criminals that by law could already not own a gun and tell me how any of these new anti-gun laws could have possibly protected them.

Did 911 save them?

Maybe the laws will take guns from the criminals just like the drug laws took drugs from the dealers?

Answer that please anti-gun people.

Their own gun could have protected them!

• obamasucks1 07/14/2009 1:34pm

I will gladly give up my firearms…when law enforcement and the Secret Service give up theirs. If banning guns will make us so safe, then they don’t need them either.

• epritchardoc 07/15/2009 5:55am

I haven’t owned a gun in 12+ years. But I’ll be damned if I’ll let some a-hole politician dictate to me that I have to have “papers” to own one. If that were the case, then what’s next, papers for my baseball bat?

• RAZDANTIGUNZ 07/15/2009 7:16pm

PAY ATTENTION TO THIS!I WAS RAISED BY A MARINE-1944-46.HE DIDNT OWN A GUN AFTER HE GOT OUT OF THE SERVICE SO I WASNT RAISED WITH ONE IN OUR HOUSE.I DO KNOW HOW TO FIRE A GUN BUT HAVENT OWNED ONE MY ENTIRE LIFE-MY FATHER PASSED AWAY IN 2008 BUT BEFORE HE DIED HE TOLD ME THIS COUNTRY IS IN TROUBLE BECAUSE OF IGNORANT PEOPLE.I SAY WAKE UP! EVERYONE NEEDS TO VOTE FOR WHAT IS RIGHT.I VOTE FOR THE RIGHT BEARARMS & EVERYTHING THAT GOES WITH IT.

• Joshea 07/16/2009 5:51am

I wonder does this include home made fire arms?

• NantachieRat 07/16/2009 10:37am

This

• NantachieRat 07/16/2009 11:49am

This bill does not have a single word in it about criminals, felons, prior convictions, criminal records or felon. I downloaded the PDF version off of the House website and did a full reader search of the text.
    This bill is sponsored by Rep. Bobby L. Rush of the Illinois 1st Dist. He claims, quote; "My colleagues and I in the CBC work tirelessly to stop the violence. I’ve even proposed a reasonable measure, H.R. 45, known as “Blair’s Bill,” that simply seeks to register guns as a way to aid law enforcement." end quote.

First, virtually no crime is committed by law-abiding gun owners, especially with guns. Second, it is a well proven fact that criminals do not obtain weapons through legal means. No one needing a weapon to commit a crime is going to be stupid enough go through the process of getting a license to own a gun, and then registering it. No criminal is going to come forward to have a gun registered.

• NantachieRat 07/16/2009 11:58am

Are you really pissed off yet? Good! Here is a link to Rep. Rush’s House website;

Here is an online contact form for Rep. Rush; http://www.house.gov/rush/zipauth.shtml

Give Rep. Rush a call at these two phone numbers. Try to call collect if possible!

Sharon Jenkins
    Washington, DC Office
    (202) 225.4372

Stephanie Gadlin
    District Office
    (773) 224.6500

And finally, here is a link to a PDF version of H.R. 45 on the House website;

• etmccoy 07/16/2009 3:38pm

If they try to inforce this law there will be a civil war on their hands. We use the guns to protect our family. We need them. My friend said that they will have to pry the guns from his cold dead fingers. No one that I know agrees with this bill. Guns are a part of life deal with it. How the heck are they going to infore it anyway. Cops own guns, what are they going to do about that? We as Americans of the United States of America have the right to own guns.

• jbeliera 07/17/2009 5:54pm

If it is the intent of the federal government( which right now I believe it is) to outlaw good guns then the only guns that will be out there will be bad guns. If guns are outlawed then only outlaws will have them. Wake up people this is the another nail into the coffin of the US Constitution. The anti gunners ( The Brady Bunch) are trying to drag this country down the road to perdition against our founding documents not to mention the destruction of our Second Amendment itself

• CowboyRick 07/17/2009 6:15pm

As for the Criminals-000 Buckshot changes alot of people’s minds and actions! The people need to unite to stop this travesty before it goes any farther. The only problem is people standing up for what they truly believe especially my fellow Americans!