H.R.45 - Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009

To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Short: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes. as introduced.

• MrKill816 07/25/2009 5:33pm

It is sad i opoose the bill due to the fact that as a veteran and before than Gun owner i support every law abiding citizens right to carry firearms and use them responsibly

apache01 07/30/2009 5:37pm

Yeah, I’m also a verteran, who like you, owned guns before service, grew up with em, and knew the dangers thereof at an early age. And I agree with you! I too, am against this bill completely, but do support HR17. BUT, sadly, our deceitful politicians here once again, in typical dictatorship fashion from BOTH parties, have attached this piece of garbage bill, to HR17. If people would push their Reps and Senators to SEPERATE the two bills, then we could get HR17 pushed thru without having to worry about this trash.

• Johntheveteran001 07/26/2009 10:08am

Any public offical that supports the bill of tratoirs act should be shoot. This is nothing more then a dirty trick bill to get and group of anti freedom supporters thier own way. Anyone that votes for or with this bill or group. That person can not be trusted as an American, and should be deported to another country so they can see the truth first hand. Or just shoot them which ever comes first.

• vfelkins 07/26/2009 2:56pm

This is a typical political move. Backdoor it! I stand on the 2nd Ammendment, the right to bare arms. I can’t immagine the gentleman from Illinois ingroduced this bill. I guess he want the criminal element to completely take over the state or is it just Chicago?

OVER MY DEAD BODY!!

• smokeyw 07/26/2009 6:44pm

The Second Amendment is a pillar of my Bill of Rights. I feel it was intended to guard me and my family from intrusive and arrogant leaders who often resort to political slight-of-hand to expand his/her powers, and diminish ours. This bill needs to be aired-out in the sunlight for all to see.

• AlphaOmega 07/26/2009 7:04pm

Marbury v. Madison, 5 US 137
    “The Constitution of these United States is the supreme law of the land. Any law that is repugnant to the Constitution is null and void of law.”

Murdock v. Penn., 319 US 105
    “No state shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and attach a fee to it.”

Shuttlesworth v. Birmingham, 373 US 262
    “If the state converts a liberty into a privilege, the citizen can engage in the right with impunity.”

Terrco 07/27/2009 8:52am

That’s well and good EXCEPT when you have kinder-care retards sitting on the bench in DC. Constitution becomes null and void when they speak. I vote to put them on the next ocean kayak headed east.

• AlphaOmega 07/26/2009 7:06pm

Boyd v. U.S., 116 U.S. 616
    “The court is to protect against any encroachment of Constitutionally secured liberties.”

Miranda v. Arizona, 384 U.S. 436
    “Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation, which would abrogate them.”

Norton v. Shelby County, 118 U.S. 425
    “An unconstitutional act is not law; it confers no rights; it imposes no duties; affords no protection; it creates no office; it is in legal contemplation, as inoperative as though it had never been passed.”

Miller v. U.S., 230 F.2d. 486, 489
    “The claim and exercise of a Constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”

apache01 07/30/2009 5:49pm

I hear ya, and agree!! Thing is, each and every Senater and Congressional Rep, as well as the Supreme Court Judges, and the President and Vice, ALL took the same oath to defend the Constitution of the United States of America, Just as each and every person who has ever served in the military. From ALL enemies, both Foreign and Domestic! So by them taking those oathes upon election, or “placement” into those offices of our government, and by willing taking a side to do ANYTHING contrary to the Constitution and the People of the United States of America, they are each and every one guilty of comitting High Treason against the People of America AND against the very Constitution they swore to uphold and defend. Not just ship them all out of office or the country, but prosecute all those offenders to the fullest extent of the laws of this land! Just as they used to deal with those who were traitors!

• americanmuscle 07/27/2009 3:12pm

All it comes down to is government control. The elites do not trust us with guns. They are not idiots as much as we believe they are. Gun laws only hurt law abiding citizens not criminals. The fact is that if we can not defend ourselves we have to rely on who else but the government to do it. When was the last time a police officer was right there to stop a robbery, rape, shooting, or some other crime. Not often, but there are others, or the victim, if armed that could stop it.

• ncccmedic 07/29/2009 5:16pm

Ah yes, welcome to the United Socialist States of America, not only does the government tell you that you must have health insurance now they want to tell you that it will be a simple bit of paper work to own a gun. Hell they already own a car company or two, and a few banks. Its time to wake up America and get your head out of the sand. Those who voted for “the change” are about to give us the biggest change this country has ever seen, and it’s not for the good. Maybe everyone needs to view the “We The People” web site. I think there is some truth to the slogan of re-elect no-one.

• leevankirk 08/04/2009 8:21am

I never thought I would have to go back to War after Vietnam but I will once again volunteer for this “war”. Lt Colonel Ret US Army RVN soldier

• leevankirk 08/04/2009 8:23am

The sponsor of this bill should be recalled. More of Illinois polical corruption.

• jcarbaugh 08/06/2009 2:19am

I’ll say this again:

Take a deep breath. This bill has no co-sponsors and is likely to die in committee. If, on some off chance, it makes it out of the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security and comes up for a vote in the House Committee on the Judiciary, then you can start worrying.

Anyone in the House can introduce a bill, but only a very small minority ever get voted on by the full House: http://assets.sunlightlabs.com/billvisualization/graphs/stagehistogram.html. This bill has no support and will never see a vote on the House floor.

JimT 08/08/2009 4:26pm

Even if President Obeyme gets this act of treason passed, many state governments have said they will not enforce or even recognize it as law. I live in Texas and I know it will never happen here. They will get my guns bullets first!

jcarbaugh 08/10/2009 5:37am

I am not aware that Obama has expressed support for this bill. Is there anything you can cite to backup your claim?

dfreeland311 08/28/2009 8:12am

I agree. I’ll pay this tax / give them my munitions 5.56mm at a time.

• ProBodyguard 08/09/2009 3:55am

How about a Million-Man March on DC?

How do you think the Congress and Senate would react to seeing 1,000,000+ armed citizens standing outside? What would Law Enforcement do? Try and disarm and arrest 1,000,000 armed citizens. Even 50,000 people marching on DC would make a huge impact.

IT IS TIME FOR ACTION. PEACEFUL, YET FIRM.

Sometimes drastic times require drastic measures.

Maybe it’s time for a Militia to be formed. A National organization of Gun Owners; not just the NRA. Choose a uniform that everyone can afford (511 is good) and create State, County and City Chapters – just like the Rotary, Lions, and Kiwanis!

Clean up DC, and then clean up the streets and borders.

jcarbaugh 08/10/2009 5:42am

Congress would be quite surprised to see a million armed citizens opposed to this bill standing outside the Capitol. They would be surprised because no one supports this bill except for the sponsor, Bobby Rush.

There are no co-sponsors on the bill and it will die in committee without ever seeing a vote on the House floor.

• billzbub 08/11/2009 1:23pm

Ron Paul supports this piece of rotting pig sh1t???
    WTF Ron?

jcarbaugh 08/11/2009 5:17pm

Where do you see this? This bill has no supporters (co-sponsors).

• Ateretk 08/12/2009 11:39am

Need we forget that the black market is still up and running? A sure way for the criminals to continue getting their weapons. Just as they are capable of smuggling drugs of every kind into the United States. Where is our liberty?

• mallory51503 08/13/2009 12:05pm

How many times do “We the People” have to go through this? Why can’t they understand that this will never keep the guns out of the hands of criminals! They should be making it easier for the us to own guns, then the bad guys will not be so eager!

• wowwhatsnext 08/16/2009 7:33am

Wow, what’s next? Plastic bagel knives and safety scissors? Find me ONE born and raised Texan who thinks this is going to work out. Good luck.

katfree56 08/20/2009 2:48pm

well I am not a texan born and raised but I do live here and I too find this bill ludicrous to say the least

• FallenMorgan 08/16/2009 5:46pm

Care to read the Second Amendment?

quickthor 08/20/2009 4:58pm

um, what?

• bikegunner 08/18/2009 10:54am

I thought Hitler was dead-guess he did survive.I have this from an old newspaper———-“This year will go down in History.For the first time,a cicilized nation has full gun registion!Our streets will be safer,our police more efficient,and the world will follow our lead into the future” signed,Adolph Hitler,1935

AnnetteBaker 08/18/2009 6:46pm

“First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Jew. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up, because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.” is just one of many variations of a poem attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group.
    Maybe we should make it “First they came for our guns…” Those who forget the past are condemed to repeat it.

• AlmostFreeAmerican 08/19/2009 6:01am

The only ‘carry permit’ I need is my birth certificate.