H.R.45 - Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009

To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes. view all titles (2)

• Short: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Official: To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes. as introduced.

• FWHICHARD 08/19/2009 7:42am

I just don’t see how a firearm tax will solve anything. Appears to be another tax and spend “solution” that just increase govenerment involvement in our everyday existence. Please leave us alone.

• MADJACK 08/20/2009 12:04pm

JOIN AND SUPORT THE N.R.A. ,RIGHT NOW THEY ARE THE ONLY THING STANDING BETWEEN US AND A CIVIL WAR / UPRISING WITH ADMINASTRATION ! I’M ALL FOR THE MILLON MAN MARCH IDEA …..

• katfree56 08/20/2009 2:46pm

What in God’s name are you thinking, all you are doing is making it impossible for us regular Amaericans to defend ourselves against the criminals of this world, The get guns with out problems!!!! Don’t you get it!!!!!!!! You are taking away every right we as Americans have!!! I am ashamed to live in this country anymore, ashamed because our president is ashamed of us……… well Mr President the feeling is mutual. Keep it up and other countries will be having an influx of us as immigrants because it has become impossible for us to live here any more. I am a disabled lady who worked as a nurse for 23 yrs. I am barely able to scrape by on my SSA disability. think about that when you are making laws to take away more things from us Americans. ACLU….you are a joke!!!

• benth163 08/20/2009 3:45pm
    What can possibly be said about the idiocy of our appointed resresentatives. I can’t believe they can be that stupid about how a man must protect himself and his family. I give up…… I am ready to become a patriot, and I don’t necessarily mean becoming a martyr. They’ll know fear though when they come upon an individual who is not afraid of dying for what he believes, and believe me a Patriot is not a terrorist. But “terrorist” is the label they will place upon those willing to turn the tide of socialism. Patriot is usually the badge of honor placed upon the heroic a decade after the truth is learned. Mark my words folks, the time is near for all good men and women to stand for truth and justice against a government willing to steamroll its citizenry into tyrany !
  • merlin428 08/20/2009 4:18pm

Molōn labe Mr. President….

• quickthor 08/20/2009 5:02pm

Well if they pass a law like this, then we will all be able to thank the government for the new set of laws that will stop a robber from using a gun. I mean, “wait, if i don’t have this gun registered, i could go to jail” has most likely never gone through the mind of someone commiting a crime.

• mad2dogs 08/22/2009 7:23pm

Maybe the American people will finally wake up to the fact that the liberals only want what the “minority” wants and to hell with the majority. I thought this country was based on Mauority rules. Not any more, now its all about whats “politcally correct”. BULL CRAP Vote the anti-americans out.

• opie410 08/25/2009 1:44am

This is just the start of a long line of bills that will be introduced under this administration to try and take more of our “unalienable” rights away. Don’t these people realize that the people who break the law could care less about these types of laws??!! They will break them anyway…the good should not have to suffer for the bad in the USA!!!!!!

• gobbertherobber 08/25/2009 2:12am

New to this site-its good to see AMERICANS being AMERICANS.I would like to see congress go without armed escort or shut up eh rosie odonal!

• cspick 08/25/2009 12:09pm

Why is it better to have guns only in the hands of law enforcement, military and CRIMINALS? Who is going to protect YOU Mr. Congressman? Better still, who is going to protect ME? i guess I’ll just have to choose to be a criminal like you want most of our citizens to be.

• jojo20 08/26/2009 11:56am

The way to fix all of this is to elect people who represent the people and not them selves or there political view. WE MUST VOTE!

• rotax650 08/26/2009 1:30pm

If for some reason this bill would happen to go through (and I don’t see it doing that) or at least I really hope it don’t. Could you imagine the outcome of it!. It would cause more problems then they think.

Our great country isn’t so great when they try and take our rights away!!!What a major JOKE!!!

• darklord1279 08/27/2009 1:44pm

I agree with the “cold dead hands” comment. Has Mr. Rush seen Red Dawn?

• dfreeland311 08/28/2009 8:07am

Wow, someone just shared this with me at work. Like others said, Cold dead hands. And if they try to start removing firearms from all civilian’s homes, there will be quite a bit of opposition. Violent opposition, I would imagine. I for one will never register and pay taxes on my right to own a weapon, let alone give them up.

• crewchief1949 08/28/2009 3:51pm

Of all the agendas that have grass roots opposition, gun laws should have the most grass roots support of ANY bill, for if we do not preserve our 2nd amendment rights, all the others are cannon fodder. We NEED all the help we can get, because its obvious by the way the gov is pushing its communist health care plan that the masses are no longer being represented or obeyed. With most of the country against what the gov is doing, they are doing it anyways. What does that tell you. These morons in the gov want a revolution? Its gonna happen. They want my guns? They will get them 165 grains at a time. I never handed my weapon over to the Republican Guard in 1990, I sure as hell am not going to give to the tyrranical government. “From my cold dead hands”-Charleton Heston

• hocestbellum 08/29/2009 2:24am

STORY OF THE COME AND TAKE IT FLAG

When the Texas colonists in Gonzales, Texas were ordered by General Santa Anna’s army to surrender a small cannon they posessed, Joseph D. Clements delivered the message to the Mexican army: “I cannot, nor do I desire to deliver up the cannon…and only through force will we yield.”

Sara Seely DeWitt and her daughter Evaline made the flag, back then referred to as the Old Cannon Flag, now called the Come and Take It flag. Depicted on a white cloth was a cannon with a lone star above it, and the words “come and take it” beneath the cannon. It was Texas’ first battle flag, and first lone star flag.

A copy of this flag proudly flies over my property in Texas and “I cannot, nor do I desire to give up my 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms………and only through force will I yield. COME AND TAKE IT!

MGJESDAHL 09/01/2009 3:38pm

I am with you!!! My right. Damn them trying to take it away. A crook visits me he will pay the penalty. the crook seems to be our Government for God’s sake. What the hell is happening to the United States Of America as we know it. For Christ sake people wake up and see the devil coming at you. be armed!!

• CoolDrum3 08/30/2009 10:05am

This appears to be yet another gun control knee jerk reaction in response to unfortunate demise of Mr. Holt. The biggest problems I see with this are a)even more fees regarding firearms ownership (is this in excess of any state fess or in place of?), b) taking the power away from the states to regulate the sale, posession and transfer of guns, c) wrapping the whole process in some convuluted, bureaucratic red tape licensing process, and d) essentially signing your life away in order to possess a gun.

If this passes, in a nutshell…you will walk into a store and select your gun. You will then pay a fee to apply for the ability to purchase the gun (which we do already at the state level). Then, you’ll fill out tons of paperwork, including every possible means of identifying you (would you like a DNA sample Mr Rush?). This will all then be sent off to some desk in Washington and sit in queue. You’ll sit at home and wait weeks to months for your “license” to purchase said firearm.

• CoolDrum3 08/30/2009 10:14am

Continued from above…

This bill will kill the private gun shops, as well as gun show vendors.

Another interesting thing I took notice of, is that they are classifying a firearm only as a gun capable of receiving a magazine. If I really wanted to kill someone, I could just as easily do it with a single-shot rifle from 300 yards or a 6-shot revolver. Again, it’s a misguided knee jerk reaction singling out semi-auto handguns and rifles.

About the only positive thing that could come of this federal “licensing” process, is that our brothers in states such as California, New Jersey, and New York could actually purchase these types of weapons, as appears it wouldn’t be up to the state anymore.

• janhigh50 08/31/2009 2:27pm

I think instead of people in congress worrying about who or how many guns people own shouldn’t be a priority…Their priority should be createing more……JOBS…If there was more jobs then people could afford health care..People that register their guns arent the criminals, they have guns to protect their family…

• Lebelladonna 09/01/2009 10:35am

As a law abiding citizen that doesn’t even own a gun, I wouldn’t vote for this bill in any way, shape or form. Yes, Texas has a “trunk law” as does Virginia. You can sell a gun to anyone without transferring the registration. You keep the bill of sale so that if something goes amiss, you can prove that you sold the gun and on what date. BUT, do you really think that a citizen is going to sell their gun to someone they think/know would commit a crime with it? Get smart America, we have the right to protect ourselves, and the responsibility to protect our families.

• MGJESDAHL 09/01/2009 3:34pm

CHANGE THE 2ND AMENDMENT??? ARE YOU INSANE. GOD HELP THE U.S.OF AMERICA, PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM OUR RIGHT FOR GOD’S SAKES. I THOUGHT THIS WAS A FREE COUNTRY. VOTE THIS MAN OUT, HE IS NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• MGJESDAHL 09/01/2009 3:44pm

Lets Vote to take Mr Blair out of office, He doesn’t deserve to be paid by our tax dollars he is stripping from us. Send this self feeding egotist a message.

• MGJESDAHL 09/01/2009 3:47pm

Sorry I meant Mr. Rush. Too angry with all this. Wait till he gets robbed some day. Then maybe he will wake up. Go ahead and be the sitting duck, I will not follow you.

• mrwigs007 09/03/2009 9:53am

Wakeup congress!

Don’t you realize that you need CRIMMINAL gun laws not gun laws for the common citizen. With every gun law you try to pass you are punishing law abiding, permit holding, hard working, tax paying gun owners.

Let’s see the stats of crimminals commiting crimes with firearms who legally own firearms and have a permit to carry one.

• hocestbellum 09/03/2009 2:09pm

If you have not seen this video, it says a lot. Do a Google search on -

Suzanna Gratia-Hupp Explains the Real Purpose of the Second Amendment

• hocestbellum 09/03/2009 2:11pm

After watching the Suzanna Gratia-Hupp video you will know how important it is to VOTE THE SCUM-BAG LIBERAL/SOCIALISTS out of office! They will take away Democracy and Freedom in this country.

• howdareyoubetraythepeople 09/04/2009 3:31pm

next on the floor is all families will have to register their silverware all knifes and forks as well as all sharp pointy things will have to be registered and lets tax them too say $50 per item!!!! Hey lets pose a tax on the government officials. We can call it a stupidity tax for trying to willfully deceive the public with laws that they try to slip in under the radar.say to the tune of one million dollars. works for me!

• bigmac10 09/08/2009 5:00am

The trouble is that people commenting here are talking about what the Constitution says; unfortunately most of the Government does not care what the Constitution says. The Government wants to implement their own brand of the Constitution and they are sure we are too stupid to realise it! Let’s vote out the Congress and Senate and start fresh!

• lips2469 09/09/2009 8:22am

Is it possible to put these government people in our shoes for awhile and see if they can makes ends meet, keep their house, or see if they can live by these rules and laws themselves. They could not do it.