H.R.4851 - Continuing Extension Act of 2010

To provide a temporary extension of certain programs, and for other purposes. view all titles (5)

• Short: Continuing Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Official: To provide a temporary extension of certain programs, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Continuing Extension Act of 2010 as passed house.
  • Short: Continuing Extension Act of 2010 as passed senate.
  • Short: Continuing Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

JoblessInPa 04/17/2010 2:15am

Hows this for BS…

TCBlackcat 04/17/2010 3:18am

Thanks for the update. What a buzz-kill. So what’s new. Guess I was wanting help so bad that I mis-read the articles because it said long-term and re-apply. Now that I re-read the article, I see that nothing is coming for us that have exhausted everything. Well, I’ll keep pressing on for a job, and God Bless and God Help Us All.

USCITIZEN10 04/17/2010 4:51pm

I GUESS THAT IF NONE OF THE 99ERS GET A JOB AND THE CONGRESS DON’T DO ANYTHING FOR US,MOST OF US WILL HAVE TO GO TO BEG FOR HELP TO THE WELFARE.
    I’M 60 YRS OLD AND I DON’T THINK I WILL HAVE ANY LUCK GETTING A JOB AND WORSE WHEN YOU HAVE A HISTORY OF CANCER.GOOD LUCK FOR ALL OF YOU.

sbrawsm 04/19/2010 12:02am

I don’t know why you think you aren’t eligible. You have been unemployed less than 99 weeks. This bill covers the people who’s UC ended. This bill is for YOU and ME. (I have been unemployed 92 days, my benefits were exhausted on 3/31 – one week before you).

They were on vacation when my benefits ran out. I wasn’t worried at all until I read your post. From what I heard, this is for people that lost their benefits recently and are 99 weeks and under unemployed.

I don’t know what we will do after this :-(
    Unemployment in my state is 12% and it’s 14% for women.

sbrawsm 04/19/2010 12:05am

I meant 99 WEEKS, not days.
    I better be getting it because I will be screwed otherwise.
    They keep coming up with these job-killing new laws and policies.

USCITIZEN10 04/17/2010 5:12pm

WHY EDD KEEP SAYING THAT ALL THE 99ERS WON’T GET ANYTHING FROM THIS BILL?

BECAUSE WE EXHAUSTED ALL THE BENEFITS WE DON’T HAVE TO BE INCLUDE IN THE SYSTEM?

• pramsey 04/17/2010 6:24am

To the committee and all congressmen/women, please remove “, and for other purposes” from the title of this and all other bills in the future. This makes it obvious there is something in this bill that is completely unrelated to the title of the bill, such as “and grant the my cousin, the Unabomber, immunity from all further prosecution and punishment”

• MadPenguin 04/17/2010 8:16am

I think i get it now, If all of us thousands of long-term unemployed lose our benefits, and are no longer “in the system” …on paper it looks no different than as if we all suddenly went back to work,and the powers that be,can say what a wonderful job they are doing with the economy!!..can anyone say SMOKE AND MIRRORS!!

Blackarachnia 04/17/2010 7:22pm

I learned that trick here in NV (unemployment rate currently 13.4% but the truth is it’s more like 20%) back with the Tier IV. Other states were getting their first and second payments but we weren’t getting paid until just before Christmas with gloating that the unemployment has dropped for Nov. Is it possible because you weren’t accepting anyone’s filing????

When I spoke to unemployment on Friday, she did state she did notice a drop in unemployment filings, of course because Tier IV expired Feb 28 and we’re not able to file.

My roommate was bumped from SEB to Tier IV when it was released, but now that Tier IV has been exhausted for weeks, but he’s unable to access the remaining SEB balance. They tell him he has to appeal it. WTF

It bites, I’m sure I’m not the only one who cannot borrow money to pay their rent, to keep their power on (I received my 10 day turn off notice just a few days ago)

Wish you all luck as the government screws the little people again….

• Private 04/17/2010 5:19pm

Smoke and mirrors will blow away and shatter when mortgages aren’t paid and electricity is turned off.

Blackarachnia 04/17/2010 7:24pm

Not sure what you mean by blow away. Lost my house last year, lived in a motel for 5 months because I had no other place to go. Sold all my Transformers that were 20 yrs and older to make ends meet.

But here in NV, we only have one electricty company to choose from, and they raise their rates every year and annouce recording breaking profits prior to the raises.

• cmajik001 04/18/2010 9:03am

President Obama should look right here at home, before helping other’s when Americans are homeless!! I’ve lost both of my homes to foreclosure recently. WE NEED TEIR 5 !! Everyone Call your Senators, and Congressman and call the President!! Leave messages, everyday. This is what helped bring these Bills to the table. We need to act as one, and tell them. One person can’t do this alone, but if eveyone does this everyday, it will make something happen. It worked last time!!

• sbrawsm 04/19/2010 12:06am

The bill is FOR people have EXHAUSTED ALL TIERS.

Private 04/19/2010 3:26am

I do not believe that is the case. It is for people currently collecting from one Tier or another but it has no verbiage for those that have exhausted all Tiers. I keep watching my states unemployment website and so far, nothing suggests that they interpret this law any differently.

Abaratarrr 04/19/2010 7:50pm

No, this bill simply extends the deadline to sign up for the existing tiers of benefits, There are no additional weeks of benefits for those that have used up the 73-99 weeks of current benefits.

• lpmichalski 04/19/2010 8:31am

One site says its not for the longer unemployed who have exhausted all benefits, and other sites says it is. I am quite confused. Why would they leave the 99’ers out in the cold? This hasnt been any easier on us. Im losing my home, already lost both cars because I couldnt afford them, because of that I am being sued by the financial institutions my credit is ruined and for what? This is the way I wanted my life to be? Give me a break, at least if they arent going to extend our benefits tell the creditors to get off our a$$ until we can figure things out.

USCITIZEN10 04/19/2010 4:24pm

YES, I’M ALSO CONFUSED AND THE FUC….EDD DIDN’T UPDATE THE WEB PAGE AND ALSO THEY DON’T ANSWER THE PHONE. I SENT AN EMAIL TO THEM AND IS GOING TOBE A MONTH AND THEY DIDN’T REPLY TO ME, AND THEN THEY SAY THAT EMAIL IS THE FASTER WAY TO COMUNICATE WITH PEOPLE.

• lpmichalski 04/19/2010 8:31am

Why do we have to lose EVERYTHING for something that isnt our fault. Other countries get millions of dollars from us, but the Americans, we the people who worked hard for many many years have to sit and watch our dreams get taken away.

I have contacted the president, my states representatives, signed the petition

We need help! So HELP US!

• MadPenguin 04/19/2010 12:08pm

GET A LOAD OF THIS!!..http://www.slate.com/id/2250999/?yahoo=y
    it’s an article all about how much better EX-President Bush’s,(the one who got us all in this awful mess)home state of Texas,is doing in it’s economy than ANY and EVERY OTHER state in the country,..COINCIDENCE???….I THINK NOT!!!

• purplelilac3084 04/20/2010 5:30am

I am for extending unemployment since the government is not passing bills to create jobs! Every jobs bill they pass relates to unions, not the person who is looking desperately to find a job!
    What really makes me angry about this bill is that it has flood insurance, doctor payments, backpay for federal highway workers! Why should they get backpay? Shouldn’t they be collecting unemployment like the average american has to? These democrats are wasting our money, and don’t even blink an eye as to spend, spend, spend! 17 Billion dollars of stimulus so far, has been pork projects that are absolutely ridiculous! Senator Schumer of NY has been on television saying WE DO NOT care about pork! Well, he is definately wrong, and I will NOT vote for any democrat come November. I am sick and tired of the Socialist agenda that is destroying our FREEDOM and country!

• Spam Comment

• Lynette1015 04/20/2010 8:16am

Whoopie!!!! They passed the bill but there is no money to go along with it,,,, how much loonger do we have to wait to get our tiers paid? Hell they are soo worried about the Health Care Bill problems that by the time we get paid for being unemployed we will have to pay the Goverment for fines for not paying for our Health Care. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE!!!!!! I need funds for a 4th tier so I can continue to LIVE… Wake up Washington and help the people who need it NOW>>>>>>>>>

• dant 04/21/2010 4:14pm
    Tier v people, Remember NELP. They have been silent and invisible on TIER V as each day week month goes by where we cant pay our rent buy groceries pay basic bills lose our houses our hope our dignity. When i went to the UNEMPLOYED FRIENDS websight and posted my thoughts on NELP I was immediately banned from the sight? WTF with unemployed friends like that who needs enemies? Tier V people do you notice that we seem to be coming up with our own ideas- march on washington petitions calling and emailing president press congress? We are fighting this alone from square one when an organization has all the tools and options and contacts with press and Washington like NELP. This is wrong. I get the impression that NELP thinks we should have found a job by now When jobs have never been more scarce!!!
  • dant 04/21/2010 4:27pm
    Keep calling and emailing the president and congress and the press!!! Fight the good fight do not go gently into that good night. Feel free to post my letter anywhere you think it might help. post it to unemployed friends and see what happens!!!! Dear Congress, Has your staff told you or showed you the thousands upon thousands of calls and letters in regards to TIER V UNEMPLOYMENT EXTENSIONS for the 2 million who have used 99 weeks and need a lifeline emergency extension? All house and senate are getting them in volume. Democrats and republicans. But the silence on TIER V is amazing!!! It seems to be falling upon deaf ears in congress!! A march on Washington is being planned now. Lives are in the balance on this!!! These Americans by no fault of their own Cannot find work after nearly two years!!! We are in an economic depression not seen since the 1930’s.
    colleengard 04/22/2010 6:34pm

I AGREE KEEP CALLING, WRITING, SENDING EMAILS, ETC, TO ALL YOUR REPRESENATIVES AND SENATORS DAILY I HAVE BEEN, TOGETHER WE ARE ALL ONE LOUD VOICE THAT DESERVES TO BE HEARD, WE NEED A HELPING HELP, WE PAID INTO THE UNEMPLOYMENT FOR YEARS, AND YEARS WE NEED A TIER 5 AND NOT JUST FOR A MONTH OR TWO DOES THE PHRASE “BROTHER CAN YOU SPARE A DIME” SOUND FAMILIAR AND SCARY!

• dant 04/21/2010 4:29pm
    An economic tsunami is coming to every shore in America soon. Economist will call it a double dip recession That was unexpected. I will call it a part 2 depression. The jobs that were added in March were federal census jobs that last only a few weeks so please for your own credibility do not play that card. This economic crisis was caused by the republicans and some democrats as well. Also the banks wall street and the rich are to blame. Then they were to big to fail and we bailed then out insteads of the working class and unemployed! shame shame shame. Please inform your fellow congressmen on both sides this TIER V greater than 99 weeks unemployment extension issue WILL cost them the election. Not health care not the rest. This TIER V will. do you have hearts?. Pay for this anyway you have to but pass it now. PLease wake your friends in WAshington. This is the worst job market in history!!!!!
  • CSIII 04/23/2010 5:49am

There is a bill in the Ways and Means Committee. HR4707 would extend the unemployment benefits until the end of the year. This would be Tier 5.

This bill only makes the Tiers, up to Tier 4 available for those whose time would have run out. If you exhausted Tier 3 (or Tier 4 if you state had very high unemployment), then this bill isn’t for you. You should look at HR4707.

• spamom 04/28/2010 7:13pm

Does anyone have an indication when the dates will be pushed back further for tier extensions? If not soon, I’m screwed too. My current Tier 1 expires June 5th:(

• TCBlackcat 05/01/2010 2:47am

FL -FYI for those that don’t know ……. new UC website posting that EB payment opportunity just approved by Senate for payments thru June 5th, and waiting for final approval to be signed. Need to check UC website for details and they say to view often for updates. This one will provide money for those that have exhausted everything, depending on when your EUC expired, as well as for others. I was surprised to see it based on what has been going on nationwide with all the delays. This may be limited to individual states; don’t know because it’s all so new. Praying that I fall within the benefit deadline of the EUC. Blessings to you all for ongoing benefits so that we can survive and get re-employed!

• ssari30 05/05/2010 11:51am

FYI TCBlackcat, what site did you get your info from?? I live in Maryland and my benefits ended back in January 2010. I have looked all over the internet and found nothing that pretains to what you are stating. Can you please elabrate more…. Thank You!