H.R.4851 - Continuing Extension Act of 2010

To provide a temporary extension of certain programs, and for other purposes. view all titles (5)

• Short: Continuing Extension Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Official: To provide a temporary extension of certain programs, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: Continuing Extension Act of 2010 as passed house.
  • Short: Continuing Extension Act of 2010 as passed senate.
  • Short: Continuing Extension Act of 2010 as enacted.

JoblessInPa 04/17/2010 1:50am
in reply to TCBlackcat Apr 17, 2010 1:04am

But what does this do for people who exhausted Tier IV April 5th…. NOTHING as far as I can tell from what I’ve been digging up and I’ve been unemployed for well over a year and I lost my UC on the 5th like everyone else. So being long term unemployed I fail to see how this is supposed to get me two more months of UC when they dont mention anything about people that exhausted Tier IV on the 5th.

I turn in apps every day and almost never get a glimmer of hope, guess I’ll have to go hungry now and pray to god my car learns to run on E.

TCBlackcat 04/17/2010 1:04am

FL -Also ……. the payments will be retroactive to April 5th. Check out your local UC offices, and jump on it!

TCBlackcat 04/17/2010 1:01am

And yes, God Bless the President and those in Congress that had mercy on the unemployed suffering, so that we can again have the resources to survive and the money to try and regain jobs.

TCBlackcat 04/17/2010 12:59am

FL -FYI to all of you (even the long-term unemployed). The President has already signed the bill to extend the UC benefits, and this ALSO INCLUDES THE LONG-TERM UNEMPLOYED! Yeah! Finally. Have attached the info from the Associated Press. Have also viewed the same info on other sites, no matter what you read here that looks bleek. The long-term have to re-apply, and they are working to extend the entire deal thru the end of the year before it stops again at beginning of June (that is the only road-block right now). Just pray that they do this and it gets done before their next recess. God Bless all of you, and check out the attached link …….

thecoinbox 04/16/2010 3:31pm
in reply to USCITIZEN10 Mar 19, 2010 8:18am

Can’t say I’m overly pleased with the outcome of this bill. My Tier IV ran out 2 weeks ago. I don’t hold the government responsible to keep a roof over my head and sending checks coming until I get back to work but it sure would help.

God help those who follow me.

Blackarachnia 04/16/2010 2:06pm

For those of you who do not know this, #1 Obama signed this into law last night

1. this isn’t for all of those that have exhausted their unemployment, this caters to those who haven’t been on it. I was told by unemployment representative that since I have exhausted my Federal, there isn’t an extension available to me at this time.

I’m extremely frustrated that Congress went through all this trouble and didn’t include everyone, so how am I to keep my power on? (I received a 10 day termination notice yesterday) or pay rent?

Anyways, I hope this saves you a phone call. I was told I’ll know when I can file when I receive a notice in the mail stating so.

USCITIZEN10 04/16/2010 1:31pm
in reply to APascarella1 Apr 16, 2010 8:57am

WE PROBABLY HAVE TO START ANOTHER CAMPAING REGARDING THE TIER V,BECAUSE AS YOU SAID,THEY DIDN’T MENTIONED IN ANY OF THE MESSAGE IN INTERNET AND IN THE CONGRESS WEB PAGE.ALSO I CHECK RECENTLY THE EDD WEB PAGE AND ONLY HAVE OLD INFORMATION,THEY NEVER UPDATE THEIR PAGE AND NEVER ANSWER WHEN YOU SEND AN EMAIL,BECAUSE BY PHONE IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THEM.

USCITIZEN10 04/16/2010 1:25pm
in reply to Private Apr 16, 2010 9:32am

I THINK THAT THE BILL PASS AND OBAMA SIGNED ALREADY, SO HOPEFULY NEXT WEEK WE CAN HAVE SOME NEWS FROM EDD.FEW DAY AGO A RECEIVED A LETTER FROM EDD WHERE THEY WANT TO HAVE AN PHONE INTERVIEW WITH ME,PROBABLY BECAUSE I SENT ANOTHER APPLICATION AFTER MY TIER IV END. SO JUST WAIT UNTIL NEXT WEEK.

AnnetteNuck1 04/16/2010 11:42am
in reply to Private Apr 16, 2010 9:32am

Hundreds of thousands are in your position. The economy will never recover under these conditions. God help us because our government won’t.

AnnetteNuck1 04/16/2010 11:40am
in reply to APascarella1 Apr 16, 2010 8:57am

The best of luck to you. My former company may be sub contracting me for work hopefully soon. Hopefully, things will begin to pick up and we can all attempt to regain financial control of our lives.

AnnetteNuck1 04/16/2010 11:34am
in reply to thyckmadame Apr 16, 2010 10:26am

Frankly he is one of the biggiest and best bullshitter I have ever had the pleasure to hear speak.

AnnetteNuck1 04/16/2010 11:29am
in reply to thyckmadame Apr 16, 2010 10:26am

I dont soley President but listen here. When you pass a bill for healthcare that forces you to join or be fined its unconstitutional. Let me educate you on the fact that the Healthcare bill will not go into affect till his term ends. Isn’t that interesting? Additionally, he has placed such an Healthcare Bill ahead of the shape of the unemployed. Now lets get to the core. A real leader doesn’t cry “boo hoo this was a mess when I got it so don’t look at me to fix it”. The truth my dear is there has been a deficit for this country well before we were born. Another goodie, he bailed out banks, car manufactures & Haiti but was not smart enough to have built in a clause to the banks that they must begin to finance loans for infra structure “probably over your head” so that developers who were awarded Stimulas funds can access monies to place the very people that the banks put out of work. Your right he is no Jesus.

thyckmadame 04/16/2010 10:26am
in reply to AnnetteNuck1 Mar 25, 2010 4:39am

How can you possible blame the President for losing your job, when wasn’t even in office two weeks before it happened. Are you really blaming him for something I am sure that your previous employer had in the works months before. Come on and as messed up as the economy was before he took office, did you really think that he had a magic wand and could erase it what it took another administration 8 YEARS to mess up. Oh yeah I forgot, he is Jesus and he has that kind of power, come on. And yes I am one of the unemployed individuals are hoping simply for an extension on the unemployment, but even I know that at some point and time, it to must come to an end. And why wouldn’t a universal health plan be great. Apparently you dont have a job right now and need health insurance. What you should be thanking the Republicans for (and the Democrats) is for allowing our country to get into this situation in the first place. But of course, its all his fault right?

Private 04/16/2010 9:32am

So, nothing for those of us that have exhausted Tier IV. I am in my third week of no benefits and still no job. I wonder how many others are in the same predicament.

APascarella1 04/16/2010 8:57am

just information for everyone on here following this bill and the extention bill for the rest of the year. last night the extension bill was signed by president obama. the bill was recently amended to extend benifits into the beggining of june. (this comes straight form my states unemployment website) hopefully this gives congress the time it needs to help eveyone out untill the end of the year. and all you tier 4 finishers, good luck i still dont see anything that says they are looking at a tier 5. on a side note, pray for me. i finally have an interview after 6 months of being unemployed for a decent job that will pay more that min wage. (fingers crossed)

APascarella1 04/16/2010 8:35am
in reply to APascarella1 Apr 16, 2010 8:33am

it extenda current conditions (or should i say, conditions prior April 4th)so yes she will get the 25 extra as long as the requirements are met through your state unemployment rates. from what i know.

APascarella1 04/16/2010 8:33am
in reply to dlh Apr 16, 2010 7:28am

dlh 04/16/2010 7:28am
in reply to dlh Apr 16, 2010 7:27am

This week will be the first time she’s collected.

dlh 04/16/2010 7:27am

Trying to find out for my daughter whose unemployment will start this week, does this new bill give her the extra $25?

AnnetteNuck1 04/16/2010 7:23am

Well, I telephone my local office today. They could tell me absolutley nothing except for “we will be notifying you by mail of your eligibility. We do not no how many weeks that will take. Call back in 2 weeks”. They would not even look me up to verify my eligibility for Teir 3. So, what do I do in the meantime? Should I go to the welfare department? I can not believe what my many years of hard work has come to. Of course as I do every day I applied for new job listings both in and out of my field. Still with limited response. Thank you Senate for holding onto this bill for almost 30 days as it only took the House 1. I will see what I have left to sell off to keep a roof over me and my childrens head. At the age of 42 laid off for 14 months have worked since High School I find myself losing everything material, my pride and my confidence in providing for my children financial support. The Banks need to start lending to the building industry so they can utilize Stimulas Granted.

TCBlackcat 04/16/2010 6:04am

FL -Long-term Unemployed

dlh 04/16/2010 3:25am

Don’t know if this will help us 99er’s, but couldn’t hurt. It’s probably been posted here before but just in case it was missed by some.

bonza32 04/15/2010 9:54pm

Once again the long term unemployed are tossed to the wolves…Ponder this: How many months of consecutive 160,000 new jobs would it take to re-hire over 7,000,000 unemployed Americans…

Yeah, things are getting better…in a year or three…

Try to get our elected officials to answer THAT question!

TBH, why isn’t the mainstream media asking the very same question and demanding a answer? We all know Senator Bunning’s feelings on the matter…give the guy credit to actually SAY what Congress is thinking…“Tough S—-!”

TCBlackcat 04/15/2010 6:55pm
in reply to dartcanyon Apr 15, 2010 2:14pm

Thanks for the info, but this does nothing for the long-term unemployed that have exhausted all of their benefits. Kudos for those that may still have something coming in:)

dartcanyon 04/15/2010 2:14pm
in reply to TCBlackcat Apr 15, 2010 1:40am

4/15/2010

Senators have given final passage to the Continuing Extension Act (H.R. 4851) by a vote of 59 to 38.

Prior to that action, they adopted a cloture motion on a substitute amendment to the bill offered by Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-MT). It passed 60 to 38. Based on an agreement reached before the votes, the substitute amendment was subsequently adopted and added to the legislation once cloture passed.

The Baucus substitute amendment keeps all of the same provisions currently in the bill but extends them for an extra month, through the end of May. This will, in theory, give House and Senate leaders enough time to work out differences and move forward on a larger bill to extend programs for the remainder of 2010.

This bill extends “jobless benefits, subsidies for the COBRA health insurance program and federal flood insurance through May 5,” according to the Washington Post.

4413bowen 04/15/2010 6:25am
in reply to 4413bowen Apr 15, 2010 6:23am

I live in Arkansas….if that may help.

4413bowen 04/15/2010 6:23am

I am a 30 year old single mother with one option left….that is to go to school. I cannot afford to go to school to better provide for my child if they do not pass an entension or revise the opening of new claims for those of us who haven’t worked in over a year. I have had 3 extensions and all is exhausted. Please help! I need to pay my car payment, car insurance, and put food on the table. That is not asking for much!!! I will take on the debt of school loans in order to “Hope” that a job will be easier to find with a degree.

juliegreene 04/15/2010 6:16am
in reply to AnnetteNuck1 Apr 13, 2010 5:12am

I too am a Republican and after working since I was 16, I find myself on the “other side” at 42. My UI benefits ran out on 04-03-10, after my elected officals went on break without voting on the emergency extension. The state of CO will not even accept applications for extended benefits until the bill passes. If the bill passes, I can apply and wait up to 5 weeks for benefits to start. I am facing for the first time letting a house go back to the bank – walking away from a credit card account and kissing my 700+ credit score goodbye. I know I am not alone. I am just at the end of my financial rope and the safety net that I was able to help support others with for the past 26 years with my hard work is gone when I need it the most.

Jans1116 04/15/2010 6:10am
in reply to AnnetteNuck1 Apr 13, 2010 5:12am

AnnetteNuck1, good one!

TCBlackcat 04/15/2010 1:43am

FL -continued …….

I have read many articles regarding this issue, and one says that the Senate is set to recess again in 6 wks, and that the long-term unemployed should prepare for a long hard summer. So what’s new, after the nightmare that we went through last Thanksgiving and Christmas (neither for me). While they were enjoying their 2 wks off for Easter, I wasn’t even able to buy my 2 granddaughters a basket. I have been suffering so much since layoff February 2009, that I’ve almost had to hybernate in order to simply survive. I can’t be a grandmother, and I can barely afford to even seek work. The UC office won’t even give you a gas card unless you not only get a job, but you have to get the job through their website (they give $40 one time, if the money is even still available). Just how do they expect us to go back to work? It takes money to make money. God bless all of you; and especially those of you that have to feed and care for an entire family.