H.R.5618 - Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010

To continue Federal unemployment programs. view all titles (5)

• Official: To continue Federal unemployment programs. as introduced.
  • Popular: Restoration of Emer- gency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as passed house.

• debsuslovic 07/14/2010 7:21pm

I would like to know who I can bring a lawsuit against for the penalties I’m accruing every day for not being able to pay my July rent? I’m dead serious about this & I want more than anything to be able to bring a class action lawsuit against the government. I’ve NEVER been late paying my rent. I’ve worked & paid taxes since the age of 16 & I’m 54 now! But since my benfits ended as of 06/12, I’ve had absolutely no source of income. I’ve been living hand-to-mouth for the past 2 yrs since my job was eliminated due to the “economic downturn.” I WANT TO WORK, BUT NOBODY SEEMS TO WANT TO HIRE AN “OLD LADY” LIKE ME…even though I have an outstanding work history & references to match. I’m DISGUSTED with our so-called “representatives” who represent only the needs of the lobbyists whose bribes they accept on a daily basis. This has to stop, ladies and gentlemen. We can’t just sit around and complain about the way things are. As John Lennon once said, “Apathy isn’t it.” We have to ACT!

jrhill 07/15/2010 7:23am

sue Obama, Pelosi or Reid…

but of course they will probably just tell you the same old line “…the past 8 years of reckless policies”

which is code word for: “Not my problem, blame Bush. Blame Capitalism”

it’s typical Saul Alinsky…

so.. you should probably blame the 52.7% of the eggheads who sold their freedom and liberty for a $250 stimulus check and voted in the last presidential election. Really, it’s THEIR fault..not Soetoros….

sucks.. but that’s just the way it is

WasMiddleClass 07/15/2010 3:16pm

So you are claiming the Bush regime did nothing to take away our freedom and liberty? I think I remember some executive orders, among many other things. What about that (anti) patriot act?

If the Republicans were in power I never would have lost my job right?

Oh wait, they were in power when I lost my job, and when I couldn’t find another one for over a year, while telling me I didn’t need anymore unemployment benefits because things were not that bad out there.

Will they give the millions of unemployed their jobs back now?

• Sannybeth 07/14/2010 7:54pm

Petition to Reduce the Wages of Congress Men and Women from $174,000 per year to $50,000 per year.

• Sannybeth 07/14/2010 8:20pm

H.R. 4720 is a bill to lower pay for congress by 5%. How can we make it go through?

satdog 07/15/2010 6:17am

Congress needs to have the same pay as Normal working people they are no different! Each day people slide deeper in debt even if you could find work they can not pay their rent on the job offered. Get good JOBS in every state and community but this is not going to happen in a day or month. ALL Unemployed need an additional lifeline for at least one more year. ALL unemployed 99 , 43, 35, 26 what ever unemployed status need a BIll for new TIER or Tiers now! Congress knows this too many loosing jobs each day, week and not being counted in Unemployemnt systems to show lower counts. DO something right Republicans and Democrats and WORK TOGETHER! Deficits, Budget are not first when it comes to money you spend looking other places but when it comes to the people who put you in office you delay, block or spend without any problem on other un important needs!

jbbeesley 07/15/2010 7:40am

Yeah like that is going to happen…. That bill won’t pass…

• DrSnark 07/15/2010 6:20am

I’m happy to see responses like debsuslovic and sannybeth!! I assure you, we are FAR from alone…MANY are seeking direction and focus for action all across the internet, tired of weeping & waiting helplessly. Venting is fine but marching is better. I’m posting this call to action everywhere and searching old contacts, networking for possible emergency March – We must be prepared to PRESSURE passage of 5618 NOW – it will surely die with Vacation Recess! Reid MUST hold them till the job gets done. Will post all progress/info back here, please join in…Courage, People! We have nothing left to lose, let’s make them PAY…attention!

• jrhill 07/15/2010 7:24am

you guys want some economic stimulus?

Grab Obama, Pelosi, Reid and the rest of the tyrant statist democrats and phony republicans in Congress and flush them all down the toilet where they belong next election..

then you will see recovery…

WasMiddleClass 07/15/2010 3:17pm

Yes! the same recovery we had with Bush!

jrhill 07/17/2010 4:18am

under bush unemployment was teetering between 4.6 – 5.0%… until the dem majority congress sent it to 8.9 – 9.6%

sooooo…

your point?

• joblessnana 07/15/2010 9:30am

Congress, cut back on some of your pork. My employer paid unemployment taxes. I worked for same company 27 years. I am 60 and lost my job in Feb 2010 and can not find work, who wants to hire a person my age when there are younger and stronger people to fit the job. I studied for years and worked as a medical coder for a physicians office and thought I could get a job anytime. NOT SO. We all need help to put food on our tables. How about you congress, do you eat???

• NoWork 07/15/2010 12:27pm

I too was laid off in October of 2008! I have applied for 100’s of jobs and have received but ONE phone, screened interview. I was asked about the employment gap on my resume. I provided a true answer and was told they were concerned about the gap. Total BS!!!

I have taken exam after exam for “new” county and city jobs. Seems like no one in HR is opening up emails. I am currently in the middle of the hiring process with the TSA. I have another exam with the Orange County Sheriff’s Corrections Division this weekend. I hope something comes soon!
    Why are we such a burden?Illegals and true lazy asses are leeching off the welfare system!
    Makes no sense! I am an Amexican who now strongly supports the deportation of illegals. Including those making $50,000 while incarcerated.
    We need to do WHATEVER it takes!
    Revolution is NOW! NO “peaceful” demonstrations!
    Violence if necessary! Especially on these corrupt, fake christian politicians!!!
    Question is, how do we organize?

jrhill 07/15/2010 5:29pm

whenever they ask you about an employment gap, just tell them you were trying to launch your own home business… or doing some consulting or something..

try to make it look like you were doing something constructive..

good luck!!

I’m with you on the illegals too! it’s total BS that people actually strive to do the right thing, follow the law, go through the process and get their green card, residency and citizenship. All that hard work..

then the others just sneak in over the border illegally to make life hard on everyone else.

take care!
    keep plugging away! and dont give up!

WasMiddleClass 07/15/2010 6:13pm

You say,

“in the middle of the hiring process with the TSA. I have another exam with the Orange County Sheriff’s Corrections Division”

Then you say,

“Revolution is NOW! NO “peaceful” demonstrations!
    Violence if necessary!"

Those words alone will get you excluded from those jobs you are (supposedly) trying for.

No peace? Violence?

Hmmmmm!

WasMiddleClass 07/15/2010 6:36pm

And I do agree with those thoughts on illegal immigrants.

• DrSnark 07/15/2010 1:19pm

LATE NEWS FROM the West VA EXAMINER!!
    UPDATE 7/15/10 @ 5:22 p.m.
    CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) —
    Gov. Joe Manchin will officially make an appointment to the vacant senate seat of longtime U.S. Senator, Robert C. Byrd, FRIDAY,
    July 16.

The Governor will hold a press conference in the Governor’s Reception Room at 2 p.m. to announce the appointee.
    Officials have told WSAZ.com that the appointee will be in attendance and will also give remarks.
    We will have a crew at the conference and will bring you the latest information on the appointment on WSAZ.com
    July 15, 3:52 PM

• WasMiddleClass 07/15/2010 6:27pm

2010 Unemployment Extension FAQ: Tier 5, 99ers Explained and Defined

(July 15) — America’s officially been out of the recession since last October, but you wouldn’t know it from looking at the nation’s jobless numbers. In fact, the number of Americans without work for the past 99 weeks recently reached an alarming, record-high 1.4 million, according to the Department of Labor (via The Washington Post).

That disheartening piece of news comes just days before the Senate is scheduled to vote on an unemployment extension package (on Tuesday, July 20), which would provide relief to many Americans now struggling to make ends meet, and particularly those who have been out of work for the past six months.

WasMiddleClass 07/15/2010 6:28pm

However, even if the new package is passed, it would not expand the number of weeks that unemployment benefits can be collected beyond 99, the current federal limit. As such, many people have now resorted to pressuring their representatives to add a new category for extended unemployed compensation: “Tier 5.”

As a result, the terms “99ers” and the “Tier 5” unemployment expansion have become major buzzwords in the debate over what to do about the nation’s jobless. With that in mind, Surge Desk defines the terms and explains just why the current unemployment situation is so precarious.

• rhian116 07/15/2010 7:05pm

We all know we need to march, that isn’t contested by anyone; however, being unemployed myself, I know the reason why we cannot march on Washington. We just don’t have the money. I don’t even know if I’ll manage to scrape together enough for one more month of rent, and I know I won’t have that money for the month after that. I can’t afford to go from Texas to D.C., and I know many of you can’t either. But I CAN afford to go to my local representative’s office and protest. Everyone says we need to march on Washington, but I offer a cheaper alternative, everyone march on your local representative’s office. There are more than enough unemployed and supporters to go with you so you won’t be alone. The problem is finding each other, and I’m working on that right now. I’m trying to find a sponser to help create a website so we can find one another. We need at least a week to prepare and warn every media outlet in our area what we plan to do, and then we need to all protest on the same day.

• rhian116 07/15/2010 7:10pm

To continue my last: We need to begin protesting together, and we cannot quit after just one day. We must protest for days if necessary until every Republican and Democrat realizes we are not going to take their abuse any longer! We can ask our churches, our families, our friends, even complete strangers to come stand with us to protest not just for our unemployment, but to stop all the corruption and dorporate favoritism going on! Think about the impact we can have: hundreds of cities in the nation having the exact same protest going on at the same day covered by hundreds of newspapers, news stations, radio stations, and magazine, and we won’t go away after just one day. We need a demonstration this big! Is anyone with me on this?

debsuslovic 07/18/2010 1:32am

I created an account on forbyof.proboards.com, but where do I go from there in order to participate in what you’re suggesting? Thank you…

• rhian116 07/15/2010 7:27pm

If anyone is interested in this, or of helping me organize this, go to forbyof.proboards.com

• dbruneau5973 07/16/2010 7:23am
    I am in the same boat as everyone else here, but in FACT HR4213 is on the SENATE CALENDAR for July 20th. NOT HR5618. The link for the Senate Calendar clearly shows this. What does this mean? Well the extra steps that Donny said were trying to be avoided, will NOT be. It means, essentially from the time it goes for vote to invoke cloture on Tuesday, potentially 2 or even 3 weeks before it gets signed by the President and another week before we see anything. Once the voting in Senate is done, it will have to go back to the HOUSE for reconciliation and re-vote and then again back to the SENATE for the same. POTENTIALLY, this does NOT HAPPEN before the Congress leaves on their next break August 6th. THIS IS NOT GOOD! I know personally I am screwed! Bills are now so far behind and patience has worn so very thin. If this is the case we will be out on the street. Take a look at the link on the Senate Calendar… WHY ISNT THIS ON FOR JULY 20th?? Once again Congress Morons! Get Rid of them ALL
    mikeqhawaii 07/16/2010 9:50am

i have to believe the house/senate will address this before going on break. the whole purpose of the august break is to allow them to campaign in their home states. it would be extremely difficult for any of the democratic incumbents to have meaningful campaigns if they went on break without addressing it.

there is a big difference in a 10-day and 30-day break. constituents would see a 30-day break as a major let-down and would draw them into resemblance with the republicans who are being painted as the ones who don’t really care. they can’t afford to have that done. passing it would likely gain them votes in november. dropping the ball would cost them dearly, something they can’t afford right now as they’re already navigating “shit’s creek”.

i’d rather see 5618 pass. it’s faster (and i believe under senate rules it could still be substituted). but even if it’s 4213 i have to have faith this is going to happen before august break.

• Abaratarrr 07/16/2010 7:30am

“Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said yesterday that Manchin’s appointee will be sworn in on July 20. Minutes later, the Senate plans to take another vote on whether to restore unemployment benefits for the long-term jobless. The proposal fell one vote short on June 30, two days after Byrd died.”

Abaratarrr 07/16/2010 8:05am

it is 4213 that is scheduled for Tuesday so the chance of it passing are slim at best, that is the pork filled bill that cuts social security benefits that Snowe said that she will not vote for, Reid needs to allow a vote on 5618 but sadly he has already said 4213 or nothing, we are screwed.

mikeqhawaii 07/16/2010 9:27am

good morning my friend.

actually, during the 3rd vote both snowe and collins voted in favor of the revised 4213 before they left for july 4th break. during the 2nd vote (back in May i think) snowe in particular had a problem with 4213 in that she felt one of the new taxes in the bill was a “business killer”. prior to the second vote she was assured by reid it would be removed. so when it showed up in the bill she had no choice, at that time, but to vote “no”. once removed, both Maine senators voted for the bill, thus the 58 in favor vote back in early july. add reid and the upcoming senator from west virginia and we’ve got the necessary “3/5th vote” to overcome the republican filibuster.

personally, i would rather see 5618 (and it’s still a possibility) as it’s the path of least resistance. but it seems both bills will restore the benefits and both could pass the filibuster vote allowing the bill itself to be voted on.

good luck and aloha to you and yours.

mikeqhawaii 07/16/2010 9:29am

sorry, i meant june, not may for the second vote of 4213.

Abaratarrr 07/16/2010 11:15am

As you said if Reid will keep out the social security benefit cuts and the retroactive tax increase snowe will vote for 4213 and it will pass,the last time it had a chance to pass, before Byrd died, Reid added those provisions back to the bill the night before the vote so that it wouldn’t pass. then in the same day blocked a vote for a stand alone unemployment extension.

I hope you are right in that he will now let a bill pass because of the upcoming election but in 2008 Ried (and pelosi) would not allow an unemployment extension bill to pass until after the election with the promise being made that if oboma was elected there will be another 13 weeks of benefits(most states got 20 weeks out of that deal), they let benefits expire for 3 months that time. It was the same game they are playing now, they would not allow a vote for a stand alone extension and only allowed votes on extensions attached to lots of pork. Fortunately Pelosi is trying to help us this time around.