H.R.5618 - Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010

To continue Federal unemployment programs. view all titles (5)

• Official: To continue Federal unemployment programs. as introduced.
  • Popular: Restoration of Emer- gency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Popular: Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as introduced.
  • Short: Restoration of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2010 as passed house.

• ChiefICSW 07/09/2010 1:25pm

You, our representatives: Important heads up: There are still unemployed people in serious trouble out there! Just because (statistically!) Unemployment is (apparently) fallen, DO NOT FORGET US!… I represent this group. I am 55 years young. I’ve served my country for 21 years in the USN. I’ve worked for 14 more years after that. In June 2009, I was laid off. I’ve been searching since. I’ve lost my home. I’ve lost my car. I’ve lost my dog (had to put her down because the apartments I’m living in could not take her.). My son is going to college this fall, and I have no way to help him. I can barely feed us, and I’m not sure how I’m going to keep the lights on.

without Unemployment Insurance, I will no longer be able to pay for telephones & internet. Hard to search for a job without them. Next, I will lose my remaining car, my apartment. What’s next? A very large cardboard box for the six of us?

Stand up in the House and Senate and shout “I will not stand for this!!!”

• MysteryOne 07/09/2010 1:33pm

Unemployment is an insurance, paid for by the premiums our employers have contributed for us through the SUTA (State Unemployment Tax Act) and FUTA (Federal Unemployment Tax Act) payroll taxes. It is an employee benefit, the same as the health care, and vacation benefits paid for by employers in the employee’s behalf. When the company lays off more workers, the companies have to pay more into it. May be I’m stupid, but will someone explain to me how this then becomes an issue of funding with the Senate when we have such high rates of unemployment? What happens to the money they collect in taxes? The sad part is that our government seems to have spent that money on something else … maybe the war???? Then they want to try and make the unemployed look like the scum of the earth? Where’s the accountability? Where’s the transparancy?

LilMsMisses 07/10/2010 12:19am

Someone else said it best….. WE SHOULD ALL GO TO MEXICO AND COME BACK TO THE US ILLEGALLY…… WE’LL NEVER WANT FOR ANYTHING AGAIN!

• enrico17 07/09/2010 3:03pm

Not that we need any more bad news, but I just saw the fox report with Manchin where he stated he is a centrist, you know centrist like Ben Nelson. And asked would he appoint an interim senator like himself (meaning centerist) who would vote again govenment spending (you all know fox news is strongly republican) and he danced around the question saying he would appoint a good person. Reid better get his stimilus check book out.

• enrico17 07/09/2010 5:21pm

in my comment above I meant to say who would vote against govenment spending (not again government spending)

• LilMsMisses 07/10/2010 12:16am

Ive called senators offices…. had an interview… still no job…. I never even got a tier 1…. ~Brittney McDowell unemployed since 1/11/10

• Abaratarrr 07/10/2010 8:17am

looks like we are SOL till monday the 14th at the absolute soonest, WV
    has the keys to the car.

“CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) – Legislators will return to Charleston on Thursday to begin a special session aimed at clarifying the state’s succession process so a replacement can be named to fill the late Robert C. Byrd’s Senate seat.

Gov. Joe Manchin says the special session is needed because the state’s succession laws are ambiguous. He says there is a risk of judicial intervention if he names a successor under the current law."

• cschultz0254 07/10/2010 9:10am

You are not the only one my first 6 months is running out and me and my son are going to be screwed. My mom also lost hers after 6 months and is now trying to find other ways to pay the bills. We have both applied for lower paying jobs doing whatever and then you get the you are over qualified for this position speach. So what are we suppose to do?

• pray2010 07/10/2010 9:37am

time after time i’ve prayed they pass the bill and they have taken my faith every week since the start of this,people put your faith in the man upstairs.. the same day they cut off my eb is the same day i found out my father has cancer,from there on out things started taking a turn for the worst,i’m in college trying to better myself and i can’t even focus on my school work because of all this,the people at my wife’s job keep uping her tips to more than what she made cause by law if she doesnt make a certain amount through tips than the company has to pay her out their pockets but what say something and she loses what little income we have coming in this house and she’s a waitress our landlord looks for every chance she can to evict anyone so if for some reason we can’t pay rent on time than all 4 of us will be in the streets..long list of problems i can go on and on with those are just the minors..but instead of senators i trust in GOD.because no one cares about us like he does.

lovebug87 07/11/2010 9:57pm

That is very true. Both my husband and I are out of work. and he has been looking for a job but where ever he goes they say hes over qualified. And who is going to hire an 8 month pregnant woman. I was also in the military and it sucks for them to say that we are lazy and reling on unemployment when were not and I’m going to be ivicted monday

• IRAQVeteran060 07/10/2010 9:51am

As a US soldier I saw people die. I saw people in dispair and without going into detail I will say my life will never be the same because of this. I am a father of three beautiful children, I have a loving wife, I would consider myself a typical american. I am unemployed, have been for eight months now. I have applied for a total of 118 jobs I have had 11 call backs for jobs within the us… Only to find out that I am either not qualified enough or too qualified. Were are these so called Jobs that we are to lazy to find?? I used to be a soldier! but not now.. Some People would have considered myself a hero.. Instead I’m compared to a stray animal, called a bum, and aparently all I do with my unemployment is buy drugs. I will say this regardless of what happens monday these comments will not be forgotten.. Do what is right for the people of this great nation. Just imagine 12 million people with nothing to lose. What good can come of this honestly!!

jrhill 07/10/2010 10:47am

there ARE NO JOBS! that’s where they are…

This administration and Congress do nothing but lie.. straight to your face.

Turn on the TV, listen to Obama… all he does is blame and point the finger at the “last eight years of recklessness” (Code-word for: Not my problem, blame Bush)

listen to him speak… it’s all lies one after the next!

The only jobs being created are GOVERNMENT jobs – that’s it. How bout this, I’ll hire 1,000 people and pay them $20.00 to dig holes in a field. Then I will hire another 1,000 people and pay them $17.00 to fill the holes. THIS IS GOVERNMENT!!!

Wake up people! before it’s too late!

jrhill 07/10/2010 10:51am

see… I just created 2,000 jobs!!!

remember this, when you hear Biden and Soetoro talk about the “millions” of jobs that they have created or saved…

it’s all bold-faced lies!!

Face it! We were all duped into electing a no nothing, inexperienced ideologue to run our country. This is the sad truth…

But you cannot blame Obama… blame the 52.7% of the fools who sold their liberty for a $250 stimulus check. It’s THEIR fault! Not his…

You want jobs? Throw these bums out of congress and get some CONSERVATIVES in their to EMPOWER THE PEOPLE!! Not EMPOWER THE GOVERNMENT!!

THIS is the foundations of our Republic and the vision our founding fathers have. Abandon these foundations and you can only blame YOURSELF!

jrhill 07/10/2010 10:52am

lol.. see i’ve been out of work too long.. forgive my horrible spelling..

lol.. see i’ve been out of work too long.. forgive my horrible spelling..hehe

• enrico17 07/11/2010 4:11pm

Just read where Manchin will not be appointing an interim Senator until after the Thurs. special session, that is if they conclude all business that day. The earliest someone can be there is a week from this Monday. Do the math, see how many days before August recess. Why is he stalling, even as he says with pressure from Washington. Does he not want his state to be the deciding vote. Do we really want this guy as a senator with all the back tracking he is doing. If Reid waits for WV vote, and does not compromise with the Repbs, this bill if finished until Nov. We don’t need another Repub or Nelson in the Senate. God help this country.

• lovebug87 07/11/2010 9:51pm

I hope this bill passes I can only extend my rent for so long
    i had to ask for cash assistance to be able to pay my rent and yet that has not been approved. what am i supposed to do when I get kicked out of my house Monday the 12th with my 2 kids and to top it off im pregnant.

• peytonsplace007 07/12/2010 4:03am

There is so much speculation going around. This article says Manchin met w/ election officals last night (7.11) to discuss the interim selection process. The Thursday special session is geared more toward the permanent selection process and the November elections. So confusing, but sounds like there’s some hope the interim senator may be appointed soon…

• mike62397 07/12/2010 7:13am

Everyone talks about human suffering why are we not threatening to “knock off” a few Republican senators that keep filibusterer. They worry about home land security for good reason. Keep peace in the homeland and no one will get hurt. 2nd Amendment rights are at an all time high and I am not afraid to use them. I am only half way through my unemployment insurance and did land a job for 6 weeks to have my department cut yet again. It is unfair to have the benefits I have paid into held from me. They caused this mess giving tax breaks to companies like Google who send their work overseas to places like India now its time for them to make it right by the people and keep money in our pockets while they work on restoring our jobs. Mark my words if the Senate can’t get its act together the Kennedy assassination will look like nothing compared to what will happen to our senators. The people are pissed so LISTEN to the people! The repressed always fight to the death.

njcoolchik 07/12/2010 10:04am

After all these filibusters and the middle class working man suffer for the expenses of the rich, I turned in my Republican Voter Registration Card and will vote Democratic is this upcoming election. I cannot believe that elected officials cannot accomplish something that supports the economy in a proven positive method.

Time to put the famous FILIBUSTERS on line with us at unemployment. Let’s see how they like it.

Noyaha 07/12/2010 10:53am

I agree, there will be a lot of Republicans not going back to Washington,so they can stuff more money in their pockets.
    Wonder how Washington would feel if everyone in this country decided not to pay their income taxes.

• zen_maker 07/12/2010 7:24am

This recession is slow turning into depression! Please approve this bill already, while they went on vacation, I’ve starving, I can’t pay my rent, I can’t find any job! What do they want, to starve us to death?

• bwanazulu 07/12/2010 8:33am

If the bill passed on 7/1, why does the little progress diagram on “OC.org” indicated defeat on 6/28?

• catdam 07/12/2010 12:06pm

They added that sex offenders will be denied unemployment benefits if passed.Wow, that is unbelieveable because if it was not passed before then it will be now because of that one exclusion to deny sex offenders.It is not fair for those of us, such as myself who is married to a NON THREATENING sex offender.My husband was 18 when he had sex w/ a 17 year old “consentually”.But because she did not want to press charges the state charged him & he is now labeled a “sex offender”.We have been married for 10+ years & have 3 children together.If he were to lose his job today, then he would not be able to receive unemployment benefits to provide food and shelter for us.How can they exclude one type of violator and not other types like murderers, or drug dealers who do not deserve unemployment if they sell illegal drugs, or bank robbers.This is not fair and it is unconstitutional on so many levels.My husband does not deserve to be denied benefits if he is paying taxes just like everyone else is.

• Jess01869 07/12/2010 7:29pm

I never even hit Tier 2…it says I can file for a new claim July 31st unless benefits get extended by then…I’ve been without benefits now for 6 weeks, doing my job searches,land making my payment requests…does this mean I get back pay or screwed complete;y if I don’t qualify for the claim July 31st if benefits AREN’T extended before that day? I can’t get through the unemployment office to ask…can anyone shed some light?

• mkosinski 07/13/2010 4:16am

Hmmmm…. Last week the stats on this bill said it was passed in the House, today it says it was defeated? What gives? I guess getting our troops killed in Afganistan is more important than taking care of AMERICANS AT HOME! So now there are 2 million AMERICANS suffering becuase politicians can’t agree on anything? We, a family of 5 is sitting here with the eviction notice on the table. This isn’t because we are LAZY! We’ve spent a huge amount of time and money looking for work. What is it going to take to see why the ecomony is failing? People that don’t have money don’t buy products or services which causes companies to reduce overhead (JOBS). Why don’t all the politicians take a 75% pay cut, put the money into a pot and actually help the poeple that voted for them! I’m sure the Senators and Conressman are not suffering in the least. Another idea would be how about the Senators and Congressman putting all of us LAZY unemployed up in thier homes till the ecomomy improves!

• stilltrying 07/13/2010 4:28am

I’m really scared. My daughter needs her meds to live which my unemployment has been paying for. I’m not sure what these politicians think we are doing with the unemployment funds (here in AZ I get $265 a week before taxes, which is top of the line). We were barely getting by before but we were able to make it. I lost my job to India and I’m wondering how many people out there lost their jobs to another country? My anger was only compounded when I called Chrysler Financial to see if there was anything that could be done in our situation so that we would not lose our ONLY vehicle, only to be told that nothing could be done (you are welcome for the bailout you fu@##@s!!). By the way, THEIR CALL CENTER IS IN INDIA!! Maybe the motto of America should be “Buy American and support another country”.

mkosinski 07/13/2010 4:33am

Maybe we should all move to India or China! In the last “contract job” I had I watched that company close down its US manufacturing and move it all to China. That put nearly 1,000 people out of work. I’ve always thought that a very high tax should be created for companies that Outsource to foriegn contries. Someone needs to level the playing field for the American worker. How can we compete with foriegn worker that will gladly work 18 hour days for $2.00 an hour?

stilltrying 07/13/2010 4:45am

I couldn’t afford the boat fare to get there. I agree with the high tax for the idiots that outsource jobs. I typed medical records. I can’t put a number or percentage to it, so I will say many, many, if not most, of American’s medical records are now typed in India. Makes you feel safe and secure knowing that your personal, private and highly sensitive medical records are now strewn across the Internet, doesn’t it?!?

mkosinski 07/13/2010 4:57am

I don’t think I could afford it either, maybe a bill will get introduced to export all of us LAZY unemployed people to India or China! It’s a crying shame. I served our country for nearly 1/3 of my life, was placed in harms way many times. Got out of the military and worked in IT for another 1/3 of my life till it all was OUTSOURCED!!! Now I’m OVERQUALIFIED (aka too old) to collect garbage or flip hamburgers… Go figure.

stilltrying 07/13/2010 12:09pm

side note: Thank you for your service to the country. It’s not a paycheck but it is a sincere appreciation for your ability and sacrifice for my freedom and much appreciated :)