H.R.847 - James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010

To amend the Public Health Service Act to extend and improve protections and services to individuals directly impacted by the terrorist attack in New York City on September 11, 2001, and for other purposes. view all titles (5)

• Short: James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010 as enacted.
  • Official: To amend the Public Health Service Act to extend and improve protections and services to individuals directly impacted by the terrorist attack in New York City on September 11, 2001, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Short: James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2009 as introduced.
  • Short: James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010 as reported to house.
  • Short: James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010 as passed house.

smbfec 05/05/2009 9:38am

I am one of the forgotten rescue workers who spent weeks and months in the “pit”. I do not seek glory or a pat on the back for what I did. I live with the choices I made. I wouldn’t change a thing except I hate to see my family watch me deteriorate. I can’t do things I used to, I have no energy, I can’t breathe, I can’t sleep. I am waiting for the inevitable and it sucks. I never smoked and now I am on all kinds of respiratory meds and a machine at night. Please pass this bill, I am not the only one in this position. Passage will help the people and families of those who dedicated their time and for some, their lives, to help others in need. God Bless America!

jkkdbm 02/09/2009 8:31am

This bill needs to be passed! My husband was there on 9/11 and suffered no ill effects until 2 years ago. He has had 3 operations and is now on all kinds of respiratory medications. It is a battle to get the medications covered and going to the doctors has become a full time job. He is waiting for the other shoe to drop. This is only the beginning, he can’t even go anywhere without a WTC coughing fit. His quality of life has diminished rapidly and he is not the only one. He will ultimately be another casualtly of 9/11 and be degraded along the way. Please support this bill for all the workers who survived that horrific day only to suffer in the subsequent years.
Thank you from a wife who is watching her former hulk of a husband wither before her eyes.

smitty 02/11/2009 9:54am

I’m a 40 year old retired cop from the First Pct. in lower manhattan. I was there the morning of 9/11 and worked over 2,100 hours in the pit the months that followed. My breathing ailments are too long to get into and I understand I will be heavily medicated for whatever time I have left. I’m writing this and urging passage of this bill for my kids sake. (Ages 8 & 6)What’s done is done but at least give me the peace of mind of knowing they will be taken care of. Ret. PO Dave Smith

jamesirc 10/11/2009 9:02am

God bless Firefighter John Mcnamara E234 who passed in aug 09. Richie Mannetta E276 and PO’s Diaz and Grossman from the 28 pct. All died this week of 9/11 related disease.

rescueman 06/25/2009 9:19am

I am a retired fireman who spent countless hours in “the pit”. There are no pictures of me down at the site because i was deep in bowels of what was left of these buildings.
i used to run marthons now i can’t walk up a flight of stairs with wheezing.i take eight medications and need a machne to sleep. i know there are men woman and children that are in worse shape than me, so i don’t complain. i just want to urge our elected officials to to pass this bill.

Drmini 07/13/2009 3:30pm
in reply to smbfec May 05, 2009 9:38am

I am one of the very forgotten ones. I was a pure volunteer on 9/11, was one of the first on the scene to help rescue Will and John, have pics to prove it. But after going in circles with the powers to be about my health and what seemed to be a correlation between Mt.Sinai losing our info and my health care getting cancelled I wonder if I would do it again. It would be nice to know that it all wasn’t for nothing. How quickly we were forgotten and treated like second class citizens. I never smoked and was in tremendously fit condition before my time at the WTC. Now I am plagued with respiratory and other health issues. All I hear is we’re studying it and we’ll let you know what if any help is available to you.So it’s about time those of us who volunteered, weren’t paid are remembered and at least given the dignity of good health care. We don’t have union benefits to fall back on. It was bad for all of us that were there, we were there when you needed us now be there when we need you.

wreckehead 09/04/2009 1:42am
in reply to CBCMan Aug 27, 2009 7:35pm

Since when is it that the military are better than ground zero workers.
Since my work at ground zero i almost died from mold infection in march 2002. I was in respiratory failure. I now have PTSD, Fibromyalgia, Thyroid cancer, chronic headaches, Acid reflux, Chronic fatigue, Sinusitis, Asthma,and concrete nodules in my lung. Wde share the same burdens. Many men are no longer able to work to support our familys.We cannot afford health insurance. I hope that as americans we are all united together. thank you and god bless.

esd2000 08/04/2010 8:46pm

It’s beyond reason how Congress can be so unsympathetic. These fools need to be fired now. Remember these clowns when it’s time to vote. We should never ever forget.

rhian116 08/14/2010 1:09am

I’m sorry, but this is incredibly stupid; not the bill, not that Anthony Weiner stood up against the Republicans, it’s stupid that this bill wasn’t passed unanimously by both sides. It’s stupid Republicans stopped this because they wanted to deny illegals health care if they were at Ground Zero. Who cares if an illegal was a first-responder? Or a second, third, whatever responder? The fact is, they still responded. They cared enough about their adoptive country to put their health and lives at risk to help those in need and they are deserving of hero status just as much as anyone else that went to Ground Zero to help, and they are just as deserving to be helped now by any American that is truly grateful, as I am, that they were there on that horrible day.

jkkdbm 04/28/2009 9:48am
in reply to redmond Apr 26, 2009 7:13pm

Redmond,

It is up to the powers that be to put into effect the proof you need to produce to prove that you were indeed involved in 9/11. You should also need to provide consistent medical documentation that shows the deterioration of your health. For those who are not fraudulent, this documentation should not be an issue. There are many, many people who are in dire need of the passage of this bill. I would not wish the consequences of 9/11 on anyone. Healthy men and women who were non-smokers are now chemically dependent on respiratory medications to make it through the day. Please do not have your judgement clouded by others. You want to hear about folks who were healthy first? That’s my FDNY husband, and at least 20 other FDNY rescue workers that I know, in addition to the multitude that I don’t personally know, who have MAJOR problems. They have developed ailments within the past few years.

rhian116 08/14/2010 1:07am
in reply to rhian116 Aug 14, 2010 1:05am

Also, as for the affording part, there are literally hundreds of different places tax payer money is being bled into for no reason whatsoever, like many Congressmen/women’s extra spending on random crap, or paying for their abuse cases. If we really wanted, we could find 7 billion from many different places and give that money to those that really deserve it.

TXProgressive 12/22/2010 2:09pm
in reply to scubabri Aug 01, 2010 5:54pm

I see a few things wrong with that logic.

1. The constitution doesn’t provide for social security, standard minimum wage, public education, and a number of other socially urgent things. Does that make them any less necessary?

2. If we can afford another 150 billion towards the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan on top of the already 700+ billion we’ve authorized for military spending this year, we can afford the 4 billion for this. I encourage you to look at the CBO estimates for the cost of it over it’s entire period of implementation

The last point seems sort of unsound. New Yorkers were not the only ones who helped in the immediate aftermath. Thousands of volunteers from around the country went to NYC to help clear debris. Those people were affected too. Should New York be forced to pay for all of them?

Pathwerker 12/22/2010 4:38pm
in reply to comsense Dec 20, 2010 2:31pm

Received an equal share. What is it with you people? You make it sound like they’re stealing from you. If this money were for your son’s medical care, you would be singing a different tune.

RedDonnaAnn 12/20/2010 7:41am
in reply to CBCMan Aug 27, 2009 7:35pm

Please do not use this board to push an off topic agenda.

Pathwerker 12/18/2010 4:41am
in reply to scubabri Aug 01, 2010 5:54pm

You appreciate it. Your welcome pal. Next time you need help call a republican.

Pathwerker 12/18/2010 4:46am
in reply to applemanmatt Dec 15, 2010 8:51am

You have the luxury of setting different priorities than the families of the sick and dying first responders. Show some respect for those who helped pull America back to it’s feet on those terrible days after 9/11, and put them somewhere near the top of your priorities.

MellyKat 12/17/2010 7:05am
in reply to applemanmatt Dec 15, 2010 8:51am

Human life isn’t a priority? Since the House did just pass the tax cut bill that will give tax cuts to everyone including the very rich, John Stewart said it best- “That is astoundingly good news for firefighters who make over $200,000 a year!” $858 billion dollars can be found for this piece of legislation, we can’t scrounge up $7 billion for the life and death battle that our First Responders are facing? I love our country but our government is a mess of paperwork, red tape, useless meetings and wasted tax dollars. Nothing gets done… except tax cuts and more spending. How’s that for priorities?

BostonGuy 12/21/2010 4:56pm
in reply to comsense Dec 20, 2010 1:33pm

Perhaps you could start by reading the Bill. Or at least read the summary. This is not a lump sum pay out to people. The money is used to cover the cost of medical treatments and various studies to determine why and how these people have been made ill, which in turn will hopefully result in effective treatments. The Bill also contains provisions so that it pays for itself.

Much of the money that was previously paid out was to the families of the victims of 9-11. Those were the people killed on that day. This money is for the first responders who survived the collapsing towers in good health, but have since become ill due to the fine particles that were in the air in the weeks and months after the event.

rhian116 08/14/2010 1:05am
in reply to scubabri Aug 01, 2010 5:54pm

They are heroes of all of America, not just New York, so they deserve everything we can give them and more. As far as the constitution is concerned, I highly doubt any Founding Fathers could see needing to add an amendment that says, “Oh, and in the event that there is a horrible tragedy, anyone who tried to help and then suffered should get medical help.” Just because the constitution doesn’t specifically grant any rights, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t give them anyways. The constitution doesn’t DENY the right to help either. America was founded on LIFE, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, emphasis on the life part. And the happiness, too, actually; I don’t see how having respiratory problems is very happiness inducing. (And yes, I am fully aware that that quote is from the Declaration. That is the document where we first declared what our intentions for this country were.)

aserrano 01/04/2011 9:47am

Its ridiculous how I hear people complain about the cost of this bill and the many other excuses they want to put up. This country spends so much money on wars, aid to other countries and countless other “programs”, but when it comes to helping the ones that responded to a catastrophe and actually showed what it is to be human we balk at helping one another. I for one will never respond to another catastrophe like this one.

RedDonnaAnn 12/20/2010 7:47am
in reply to scubabri Aug 01, 2010 5:54pm

Thus the penning of The Bill of Rights, which allows us as Americans to amend our Constitution.

RedDonnaAnn 12/20/2010 7:45am
in reply to redmond Apr 26, 2009 7:13pm

So, if I hear you correctly, this man, this overweight, smoker whose hour count in the pit you challenge should have taken the position of “I am out of shape, I smoke, I have health issues, I should stay home and let somebody else respond to this tragedy” on September 11th?

Do I have that right?

scubabri 08/01/2010 5:54pm

Although I appreciate the work that the first responders did, I am apposed to this bill.

Before people flame me, 1. I cannot find anyplace in the constitution where this is authorized, and 2. We cant afford it.

Funds for this should be appropriated by the state of New York.

madvilletimes 12/19/2010 5:50am
in reply to applemanmatt Dec 15, 2010 8:51am

Done. Now let’s pass HR 847.

comsense 12/20/2010 1:33pm

Every person who worked at the WTC on or after 9/11 (Firefighters, Police, construction workers, Paramedics, etc.) was covered by Workman’s Compensation. All of their treatments and/or medical retirements are paid for by Workman’s Compensation. What then is this bill paying for? At 6.2 billion dollars for the Bill, if 25,000 persons were aided by this bill and received an equal share, that would come to $2,480,000 per person. That’s absurd.
If there are persons who were not covered by insurance regarding this event, and they volunteered and suffered some kind of health deterioration due to their help, they should be assisted. I am for helping those who were injured trying to help others, but let’s do it at a realistic cost. 6.2 billion dollars is way out of line. I sent money to the 9/11 charities for the victims. The government paid money to the victims. It appears it will never be enough for doing the job they choose to do and were paid well to take the risk to perform.

comsense 12/20/2010 2:31pm
in reply to comsense Dec 20, 2010 1:33pm

Excuse the math. If 2,500 persons were aided and received an equal share, each share would be $2,489,000.

xcrissxcrossx 07/30/2010 8:05am

I supported it, but this bill is sooooo long.

applemanmatt 12/15/2010 8:51am

I support this piece of legislation, but only after we extend tax cuts that will otherwise expire in less than a month. The Republican filibuster is 100% justified because we need to priotize. We can vote on this bill at anytime, but if taxes aren’t extended we will have a double dip recession as middle class families will pay higher taxes. There are a lot fo bills that I support, but we have to priotize.

CBCMan 08/27/2009 7:35pm

Tragic yes, but does it need a bill? I do not agree. Spend some time in the military and then try to get proper health care! Have a VA doctor tell you that they will not give you the treatment because they do not feel it is giving you enough relief. I do feel for the WTC survivors, but I do not think that a bill should do what the state is not willing to do.

redmond 04/26/2009 7:13pm
in reply to jkkdbm Feb 09, 2009 8:31am

While I agree there are likey many who deserve some assistance for their time working on the recovery, I am immensely distrubed that the poster child for this bill continues to be a person that I believe is using 9/11 for his own gain. Mr. Arrigo was overweight with significant health issue for more than 15 years. He traveled daily with a huge bag of nebulizers and other various drugs. Yes his health issues have worsened, but if you smoked at least a pack or two a day and also enjoyed the other type of smoking routinely how the heck can you say it is from 40+ hours at the pit? By the way if you read all his accounts, he was there 40hrs, 100 hrs, 2 months, 6 months…keeps seeming to change. Lets hear about folks who were healthy first then came down with issues and get the frauds out of this!!!!