H.J.Res.5 - Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.

• Official: Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President. as introduced.

• amica_jeffersoni 06/05/2009 6:36am

This resolution is tantamount to the reestablishment of monarchy in this country. This effort is obviously meant to promote the extended presidency of one popular individual whom I will of course not name. You think any member of Congress who didn’t vote for our current President would go along with this idea?

• aharris 06/05/2009 2:38pm

How many so-called democracies in this world are run by dictators for life who stack the votes and never leave? Repealing the 22nd would inevitably lead to something like that no matter what party we’re talking about in power. HELL NO! The proper flow of power is from the people to the government and this bill weakens that still further. Pass this sucker, and I predict a revolt.

• burke524 06/07/2009 5:42am

I said from the day he was elected (not by me) that he would try to become Ruler for life. The PEOPLE need more power to get these so called leaders out of office if they are crooked or do not perform, which is now the case. What are we waiting for people. 2010 is just around the corner. lets get him and his crooked cronies out before it is too late. If he gets the majority of the populace on the dole they will keep him for life.

• burke524 06/07/2009 5:45am

Term limits should be enacted and enforced on all elected officials.

• DCW 06/07/2009 6:27am

Our congressional reps need term limits placed on them like the president already has.

• cbunce 06/09/2009 10:48am

This is a joke right?

• Zara 06/09/2009 12:27pm

if you don’t want the president in office for more than two terms don’t vote for him
    there is a reason the founders set the term lengths the way they did
    what if the senator or rep is perfect for the people they represent, what most of you seem to want is to still kick them even if you know the next guy will be worse
    and if you don’t want a person in office in general don’t vote for him or get someone to run against them don’t do something as radical as change the national government when there are simpler solutions.

• desertlife4me 06/10/2009 12:39pm

preposalt to throw Rep. José Serrano [D, NY-16]
    out of office for suggeting this

• coral5353 06/11/2009 9:01am

PRINCIPLE: AGAINST
    Protects individuals from extended policies that could permanently damage Constitution.

• Acct59 06/11/2009 9:28am

There should be limits on all respresentatives including the President…plus we should do away with the electoral college and let each vote count..I have stood in line waiting to vote only to be told that a president was already elected by electoral votes and my vote did not matter.

• MrPolitical1 06/12/2009 10:17am

We do have term limits people, its called elections, and it happens every 2 or 6 years for our representatives. And we should not have term limits for Presidents either, especially when Mr. Obama changes everything thats wrong with this country to the better.

RVTaylor 06/13/2009 7:19am

ACORN, voter fraud, Black Panthers and other radical leftist fronts forcing non-liberal koolaid drinkers away from polling places and getting away with it, the Mainstream Liberal Pravda, and a whole lot of unaccounted for foreign cash put this manchurian candidate in office. So don’t you even dare try to tell me about the populace being able to choose and change their leadership. There have been cleaner elections in banana republics than this one. I absolutely refuse to believe that any intelligent, informed, freedom loving person that has any sort of love and respect for this country and what it once stood for would have willingly voted socialism, nay, communism into power.

• Blessed88008 06/12/2009 2:12pm

Are they CRAZY???? They should limit the terms for ALL politicians and judges! If they pass this bill even elections will not prevent a dictatorship. (see ACORN scandal ie.. dead people voting and use your imagination for a list of nefarious possibilities). Only the mindless would go along with this idiotic bill which is just one in a long line of idiotic bills.

• RVTaylor 06/13/2009 6:57am

One way to stop some of the nefarious skullduggery going on in government now is to LIMIT ALL TERMS. These lifelong politicians ARE the problem and have forgotten that WE THE PEOPLE ARE THE GOVERNMENT and that they are there to represent OUR interests, not line their pockets with cash and become our biggest OBSTACLE. They have completely lost touch with reality and govern without regard to those they represent. There are many fine exceptions, but most of them are there (and you know who) to serve their own selfish interests while trying to control every aspect of our lives. DO NOT EXTENT THE TERMS OF THE POTUS – LIMIT ALL TERMS.

• Buckskin1 06/14/2009 7:47pm

Just what is the use in having Amendments and constitutional rights in the first place if it can become a bargaining chip later on or even be voted on again? I know for the longest time in my life I have failed to pay attention to the politics but now that I am it really makes me feel as though we have already lost the battle and the war isn’t looking too good either. I apologize to my country for being so unconcerned in my early years but I was too busy trying to make a living for my family and paying the bills and didn’t have the luxury of having the time or money to get involved. I know I am not the only one that had to do that. Term limits for everyone and WE THE PEOPLE set the salaries, cut out the pork and curtail lobbyist. It should be mandatory that all registered voters vote but then again that might not be a good idea since it would resemble Iran’s recent so called election. I could see the USA having an 80%+ voter turnout.

• robert912 06/15/2009 6:43pm

This bill will not be allowed to pass-I guarantee it.

• trupeace 06/16/2009 9:44am

This probably will not make it out of Committee, but we should all keep an eye on it. There are several bills that have been passed that should not have made it out of Committee…like the FISA Amendment Act, for one!

• bettybbennett 06/16/2009 6:19pm

The most important point has been made, by placing no limits on how long a president can be in term is setting this nation up for a dynasty that will totally eliminate the democratic nation we have always been. We do not need a King except the King of all Kings “OUR LORD And Savior” to once again be placed in every home and every government office of out country.

• b58 06/17/2009 3:59am

This really sounds like a country take over and a dictatorship setup. I can think back to the campaigns and the elections and that should have turned the nations lights on when socialist kept turning up in the campaigns and now I see why I kept thinking something is wrong here. Now we have a president that never has proved he was an American born citizen and his financial back ground on the schools and colleges has never been released. And now they want to make it unlimited terms they can run. We have lost lives in the military fighting dictators and communist and terrorist to throw it away to a dictatorship. We need to keep it to two terms as president and two four year terms for the house and senate. I don’t think anyone needs to be a permanent fixture in office no matter who they are.

maureenfike 06/17/2009 9:36am

Right you are. We owe it to not only our country but as you say to the military men and women that fought on foreign soil to protect freedom, demmocracy and human rights, to fight what is happening on our own soil. As for the dictators doing away with term limits, it has happened in other countries along with the loss of human rights. No tenure for anyone including teachers and judges. No one should have a lifetime guarantee of a job. Their performance should determine their job security. I’m not so sure that all government jobs that represent the people shouldn’t be voted on. But I digress and we have more pressing issues at hand. God bless

• Blessed88008 06/17/2009 7:35am

After drafting the constitution Ben Franklin was asked, “Did we get a republic or a monarchy?”. He replied, “A republic… if we can keep it.” I say LET’S KEEP IT!

maureenfike 06/17/2009 9:18am

Are you kidding me? If this bill doesn’t wake up the “false idol” adoring left nothing will. I told my husband awhile back that this would be on BO’s agenda and would get “fast-tracked” like everything else. We must stay alert and share our information with all who do not have the time or resourse to stay aware of the path we are on. I am so grateful that I found this site. The American people should be very frightened. We think the worst could never happen because it never has but it will if we continue to be complacent, which is how we got where we are now. Remember: Evil prevails when good men do nothing.

• 120106 06/17/2009 9:27am

No more than two terms is needed, period. The two term limit amendment was enacted for a reason.

• Whackamole 06/17/2009 11:58am

This is an absolute JOKE! No co-sponsors to date. I cant help but wonder if this is not a purposed distraction. I do not live in Venezuela and Obama and his “Narcissitic Syndrome Disordered self” are not Chavez!

• Waiting2Trade 06/18/2009 7:13pm

I’m sure this is what the anti-Christ would love. But 2 terms is plenty, if you can’t get it done in 8 years then you don’t need another 4 years. I don’t serve a King.

• Nursehope 06/19/2009 9:45am

Everyone is acting like there wouldn’t be another vote. I think if the people want the President to stay then he should be voted in as many times as the people want.

boomer47 06/19/2009 7:22pm

Yes… just like these JA’s we’re stuck with in congress. They have a 38% approval rating and get reelected everytime what’s up with that? Something about this system is not working properly.

• akas 06/19/2009 10:39am

King and Queen of the America or Dictator of the United States..that is what our future holds if we don’t have term limits..Congress gets way to many special privileges now. Their own health and retirement plan..that’ very lucrative. What happen to these position be and honorable title to hold. At this point I’m hard pressed to find one that understands the definition of integrity or honesty.

• Nikita63 06/19/2009 1:52pm

After rerading the text of this Bill, I am furious that such a blatant
    attempt should be made to overturn a term limit on the office of President; especially at a time in our history when there is realistically only a single party in power. To me this is a spurious and dangerous bill if enacted into law as it makes it easier for a party
    to consolodate it’s hold on the office of President, practically without opposition. This cannot be allowed to become a law and I am
    currently informing everyoner on my contacts list to join this site and become INFORMED about the scurrillous practices in this leftist
    Congress. All Americans should be wary of bills such as this. They limit or eradicate our ability to control our own destinies by making it more difficult for us to utilize the power of the vote to make change WE THE PEOPLE can live with.

• boomer47 06/19/2009 7:20pm

We are already stuck with these politicians for too long by the rigged election laws. Two terms for president is enough. What we need to do is also limit the Senators to 2 terms and Reps to 4 terms. How about setting up a selective service system for legislators? Put all citizens names in a lottery and draw. Give everyone an equal chance to serve. Hard to see how the outcome could be a lot worse than what we have now!