H.J.Res.5 - Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.

• Official: Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President. as introduced.

• spyderkl 01/30/2009 6:23am

Clearly, Rep. Serrano’s been smoking something he shouldn’t have. I cannot see the need for this bill. In fact, I agree with some of the other commenters; there needs to be term limits placed on other elected officials. coughmembersofCongresscough

• Anonymous 01/30/2009 6:14pm

Absolutely not. The founding fathers did not intend for senators and congress persons to make their service a life career.

• Anonymous 01/31/2009 10:11am

Do they really think Americans are THAT stupid? I guess they are hoping for the day that we ARE too stupid or complacent to care about our freedom. Sadly enough, we’re only a few generations away from the public school systems demoralizing our children enough to realize their dictatorial agendas … Unless there is a serious awakening by the people.

• morgaine101 01/31/2009 10:24pm

I am shocked and dismayed that this bill is even in existence. Understand, I changed my party affiliation to Dem. so as to be able to vote for Obama in the primary. I voted for him in the general election. I am glad he won and I believe he will create the change that is so necessary not just to our country, but to our world. However, term limits exist for a reason. Term limits are part of the checks and balances of our governing system. To do away with presidential term limits would be to invite dictatorship into our governing system.

• Anonymous 02/03/2009 2:54pm

The term limits on the Presidency was formulated and passed with good sound reasoning. The fact that the House and Senate terms were left out was unfortunate, for if they would have included them we wouldn’t be in the mess we find ourselves in at the present time. Chris Dodd and Barney Frank wouldn’t have been able to be the facilitators of the financial scam that was Fannie and Freddie. History repeats itself year after year because the career politicians are corrupt and everyone inside the beltway has been assimilated by the corrupt collective. If there were term limits and reduced perks and no retirement for politicians, we would see a much better class of people serving the nation, not a bunch of self-serving corrupt thieves.

rcoiteux 02/13/2009 4:39am

I agree. The architechs of this mess are now in CHARGE of repairing it…It kind of like the lunatics are running the assylum. IS this a good Idea.

We need to have the best of the best, smartest and most brilliant people representing us, but we allow these old school boys to run our world…..Spend our money and ruin our livelihoods…and they blame the banks.

Incredible how we have let this happen.

DKennedy 08/12/2009 7:22am

um.. no.

um.. no.They’re truly not ‘ruining our livelihoods’.. or any of that other dribble. Try to maintain some form of positivity.. our lives are far from ruined.. geez.

• greihing 02/03/2009 4:20pm

Jesus…Could you imagine what we would have if we had Bush (or Hoover or Grant)for an unlimited amount of terms!! With all the immediate problems we have going on in this country, this moron…Ahem…representative (and I use that term VERY loosely) this is the best legislation he could come up with???

• Bushface 02/04/2009 2:12am

I think all elected and appointed offices should have some time limits. We have too may semi-dictators now. Plus I tired of elected and appointed officials being call public servants, servants do not get rich doing what is legally expected.

• CobwebsMom 02/04/2009 3:02pm

Term limits are a good thing – let’s say that a President got into office through the fixing of electronic voting machine programs and questionable voter registration and miscounting votes…the fact that that President is limited to two terms by Constitutional law could be the difference between a Democracy and a Dictatorship…hmmmm, term limits, a good thing.

• theyellowbear 02/04/2009 4:30pm

The other thing that term limits on ALL politicians would do is return these people to the general public (i.e. “real life”) where they would have to earn a living, pay taxes and witness the madness from another perspective. Perhaps then we would see some responsibility from our elected officials?

• smw08054 02/05/2009 10:04am

They say that house guests and fish both stink after three days. Just think of how bad a president would stink after eight years in office. I say yes to presidential term limits, otherwise one person could end up appointing an entire Supreme Court bench, and extend his/her power for decades to come. It’s too close to a king or dictator for me.

• Spam Comment

• Anonymous 02/05/2009 3:54pm

Frankly I’m so angry that this was even proposed & signed by a citizen of this country that I can’t begin to settle on the strongest language to show my disdain.

How about WE change the Constitution TO INCLUDE time limits for idiots like this who don’t deserve to be in office?

As a side; This (OpenCongress) is the worst site for me to have ever stumbled across. Now, I have no way of turning a blind eye or deaf ear to the assinine proposals my (supposed)leaders are generating.

Now that I know this is here, theres’s no escape for me. I have to deal with what’s going on. It’s like I don’t have enough going on…now I actually have to keep up with these dolts.
    I hate it.

rcoiteux 02/13/2009 4:35am

I agree….Please contact every member of your own community, church, school and let them know that the politicians are taking us to the bring of catastrophe….

I cannot understand why most people think that they deserve a free ride. WE WILL PAY for everything that we are about to do….LOWER TAXES…think again…

rcoiteux 02/13/2009 4:35am

• GiveMeLiberty 02/06/2009 6:24am

Aren’t there more important tasks at hand? Is there some need to distract us from the mayhem that our government is perpetuating? I hope all that read this and disagree with the bill personally contact the wonderful representative from NY and let him know in very clear terms that he has no support here!

• Anonymous 02/06/2009 9:24am

I encourage every one who disagrees with this bill to call, email, write, fax, spam, etc. the sponsor of this bill. Send the silly politicians a message that this is OUR country and NOT their own personal property. Let then know who is really in charge. Hey mister politician, be careful not tho wake up the sleeping giant, cause you guys in DC are making an awe full lot of noise!

• Anonymous 02/06/2009 12:38pm

nObama must have chosen this poor soul to be a sacrificial lamb to test the waters. I didn’t see anyone else supporting this junk.

• denali 02/06/2009 3:04pm

Term limits for ALL Washington Empire Builders…. sounds like a good deal to me. Send’em home after 2 terms works.

• leonardaj 02/10/2009 10:01am

Our Founding Fathers recognized the importance of change in leadership hence the term limits. Make NO CHANGES! Remember socialism, marxism, communism and now; Obamaism!

• niraj 02/10/2009 9:33pm

this is a test comment

niraj 02/10/2009 9:35pm

seems good for US people

• benflying 02/11/2009 2:46am

I would appear some insiders would like change our present government system to something close to a controlled government under one party and with its current wording, the hope is to keep Obama in past two terms. Wake up folks, good or bad he has not shown anyone what we can expect now much less in a one term. I willing to give him a chance but so far all I’ve seen is more talk than action and same in Washington insiders calling the shots. What happened to all talk we heard before the election? Where is the transparency we were promised? Beginning to sound like they are more concerned with their jobs than doing peoples business.

my911 02/18/2009 4:27pm

I’ve already seen plenty.
    Thugs for Cabinet posts.
    Tax dodgers with special pardons
    The sky ifs falling!…Catastrophe is coming!…the World ends tomorrow unless you give me a TRILLION
    …then he leaces the bill on his desk for a weekend while he p[ollutes his way to Chicago (for a haircut?).
    ….then he leaves the bill on his desk another day and 1/2 so he can sign it at a blatant campaign (yup 2012 is almost here) show after more pollution (747s DO Pollute)and waste of taxpayers $$$.

Do You need to wait to see more?..NOT me!

Washington is about 2 things
    1) Getting votes in the Bank
    2) So that re-election is assured

Citizen who?
    Taxpayer $$$ ?…gimme more!…send it all…your kids $$$ too…watch me spend it!

• smcnatt 02/12/2009 5:37am

The democratic congress is looking forward to more than 8 years of being in control – more than long enough to finish off our democracy.
    We cannot allow this bill to pass. We also need to finish the “career” aspect of congress and limit congressional terms. I would also suggest an automatic retirement of 70 years of age. I agree with the 4 years of military service. I also would like to see that both parents of a presidential candidate to have been born in America.

• flooridays 02/12/2009 6:35am

We’re already too close to having a ruling class in this country. To those who demand term limits, we already have them; they’re called elections. If you want term limits, motivate everyone in the country to vote against every incumbent for the next twelve years; do away with staff allowances for elected officials; make them do the people’s business via the internet… no more travelling to DC where they can do their damage in back rooms and in secret.

• tinman1 02/12/2009 3:12pm

OH HELL NO! Obama is not going to be emperor or king. Term limits are provided for the continuation of the REPRESENTATIVE Republic that is the USA. To repeal this Amendment would be to subjegate the entire populace to what will be tantamount to a dictatorship. Not that one doesn’t already exist in the form of Obama, Pelosi, and Reed et al now…

• BurningGiraffe 02/12/2009 11:35pm

We haven’t had a President this radical since FDR and Johnson. Of course the Corporate Socialists in this country are going to want to keep this guy in power for as long as they can. This bill is just a trial balloon though. It won’t gain any traction in the House. Representative José Serrano is safe in his district and it is unlikely to affect future elections.

rcoiteux 02/13/2009 3:57am

I support term limits for all elected officials….ESPECIALLY the Congress and Senate….I knew that the left wings would try to do this as soon as Obama hit the White house. I think Obama is probably a great guy to have a beer with, but I don’t want him running the country…Especially for LIFE!