S.1085 - Reuniting Families Act

A bill to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to promote family unity, and for other purposes. view all titles (3)

• Official: A bill to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to promote family unity, and for other purposes. as introduced.
  • Popular: Reuniting Families Act as introduced.
  • Short: Reuniting Families Act as introduced.

ajaykataria 05/27/2009 7:25am
+ 15

This bill helps the U.S. economy by -
1. Relieving the emotional stress on families that are waiting to re-unite, and hence helping them be more productive. A happy family can make decisions about job, career and other matters that will make them a more productive contributor to the society and economy.
2. The bill DOES NOT invite more immigrants to the U.S. that would challenge the American workforce. It merely helps make life easier for immigrants that are already in the U.S. and are already legal, tax-paying contributors to the economy.
3. The bill DOES NOT require a major shift in immigration policy. It is merely asking to adjust for some bureaucratic delays that were not intended to happen as part of the immigration law.

karmayogi 05/27/2009 7:48am

Yes this bill will go a long way in addressing the severe backlogs faced by talented professionals and scientists who have been waiting LEGALLY in the queue for ages without compromising the rights and opportunities of citizens of this country. Justice for all.

gmathew 05/27/2009 9:27am

This bill is a move in the right direction in the jungle of immigration. Once passed this bill will provide the much needed resolution to the unending wait for thousands of people legally waiting to be permanent residents. It will also send the message to those watching this great nation that this is a land that values the law and the people who take great pains to abide by the law of this land. I humbly request the lawmakers to support this bill and provide solace to people like me waiting for years to be a PR.

zeb1 05/30/2009 7:43am
in reply to ajaykataria May 27, 2009 7:25am

This bill will help to create the great number of jobs,when many individuals who are stuck for their Green cards, may get promoted or start the business, buy houses, if they get GC, which will contribute a big help to strengthen the economy.

pgoel 05/29/2009 2:56pm

This bill will relieve the anxiety of honest hardworking tax-paying legal immigrants and unite them with their family. My wife’s been staying away from me for the last 2 years as I cannot add her to my pending green card application till the visa bulletin dates become current. It has been retrogressed to 1 Jan 2000 now. At the current rate, it’ll take 9 years unless there is legislation to increase the number of available numbers. USCIS has gone a long way this year in pre-adjudicating pending immigrant applications; however they are also at a loss due to insufficient availability of visa numbers.

Congress must act now on this long due bill. Even the major newspapers support this modest measure.

abaratar 06/03/2009 2:15pm
in reply to ajaykataria May 27, 2009 7:25am

? Why do all of the comments that are pro this legislation from people(someone) who has created several accounts in the last 7 days. It appears that someone is AstroTurfing this board.

abaratar 06/04/2009 11:40am
in reply to abaratar Jun 04, 2009 11:14am

EXAMPLE

McLovin Jun 02, 2009 (2 days ago) Link Reply

I second the relief this bill will hopefully bring to LEGAL employment based (EB) immigration system. There are numerous educated skilled workers living legally in the US for many years. We live by the laws of the country and want to live our dreams and invest our hard earned money in the US. Unfortunately every aspect of their lives are left in a LIMBO due to lack of visa numbers and country based quotas in the Employment based green card process. (Employment Based skilled professionals waiting for their green cards should not be impacted by their country of origin). Provided an oppurtunity, every individual will work towards the upliftment of this country. God bless America.

abaratar 06/04/2009 11:43am
in reply to abaratar Jun 04, 2009 11:40am

EXAMPLE CONTINUE

gcretro May 31, 2009 (4 days ago) Link Reply

I second the benefits & relief this bill will hopefully bring to LEGAL employment based (EB) immigration system. There are several thousands of educated LEGAL skilled workers living legally in the US for several years (many who came as students for higher degrees). We pay taxes, live by the laws and want to become permanent residents and invest their hard earned money in the US. Unfortunately every aspect of their lives (personal & professional) is left is LIMBO due to lack of visa numbers and country based quotas in the Employment based green card process. (Employment Based skilled professionals waiting for their green cards should not be impacted by their country of origin).

Do you believe McLovin and cgretro are two different people that just happen to thing up the exact same sentences? you see this over and over on this thread

capricorn 05/29/2009 5:58pm

Charge $5000.00 for every green card issued from recaptured visa numbers.

There are more then 200K visas Application are wasted. If 200K green cards are issued.

Grand Total of $10 Billion is added to the Economy.

All these 200K Green card holders will generate additional National revenue of 10 Billion every year due to the fact that, they are highly skilled and enterprising in nature , generating additional employment opportunity to the US economy.

This is the Golden opportunity, Pls re capture all the wasted Visas due Beurocratic delays.

We are not asking for creation of new visas, Just asking for Unused and recapturing of wasted Visas for all these years.

janorkar 05/31/2009 6:53pm

Legal Immigrants are proven to be a very peaceful/law abiding group.
-Majority of them are well to do and do have a good savings profile.
-They can (and want to) certainly invest into realty in USA and help the plummeting situation in housing markets here.
-Employment based immigrants are very skilled lot. They are waiting for that magical “Priority Date is CURRENT” news to take a plunge in entrepreneurship etc.
-For Employment based immigrants lack of visa numbers means they have to stick with same employer, their spouses can not work.
-Dear Senators please see the sufferings and emotional distress that is caused to legal immigrants due to lack of visa numbers for filing adjustment of status application with USCIS.
-AFAIK Barack Obama was one of the few guys who talked about Legal Immigrants and their plight.
-I hope he doesnt forget his promises after coming to power like indian politicians do!
-May GOD bless America and the great American Dream :

ashishgour 05/29/2009 3:12pm

This is a bill long due now..
It will not only relieve lot of people who are paying their taxes and following the laws and ofcourse helping the US economy from the anxiety of maintaining their legal status, stamping visas etc.
It will also allow most of them to start their own companies and help the US economy by creating more jobs.
Stability in terms of job and legal status means that most of us will also be able to buy houses instead of sending the US $ overseas to our home country..
I hope this bill is acted upon this year and its not sidelined as it happened last year with the recapture bill introduced by Zoe Lofgren.

emaan 06/23/2009 3:23pm

I agree I am also a green card holder who has to be separated from my husband for unknown time and in spite of saving to buy a house for us I spend my savings on airfare to go see my family!! and sure for a limited time which is insane!!

commanchiebob 06/07/2009 12:14pm
in reply to abaratar Jun 03, 2009 2:15pm

Mr. abaratar great catch! You might be able to track to URL with a utility and prove up your concern. My concern is the implosion of our health care rights. I am a health care professional and for the past 30 years. I have no issue with sick people who are uninsured or worse yet the working poor.
However, in the past 30 years I have never seen a uninsured sick person turned away for lack of coverage. I can tell you first hand that reuniting a Father and Son is a kind and generous offer. Consequently, my children will be left working harder and longer hours to off-set health care expenses.

Again sir, good catch.

CB

zafarx 06/08/2009 3:26pm
in reply to burke524 Jun 06, 2009 5:02am

burke524,

Looks like you have not read the bill, please read it. This is aimed at “LEGAL” immigrants, who abide by the law, PAY thousands of $$$ in taxes and have been contributing to the US economy “LEGALLY” for years.

As a matter of fact some of these people have been here “LEGALLY” for more than decades. And hence have contributed a lot to the country not only by paying taxes but as consumers as well.

If this bill passes many will be provided relief and they will purchase homes since the only thing stopping them from doing so is that they do not have Residency. This will bring up the housing market as well.

Therefore I urge people to support this bill as it has a lot of benefits not only for people residing in this country “LEGALLY” and needing their Green Card but also for the economy over all.

sebas1000112 06/29/2009 7:22pm

these bill is common sense and fits in our 2009 year. people there will be no amnesty forget about that i already put the definition down. amnesty means green card strait. is like i am an illegal and i go next day to immigration and i get a green card. these bills are totally different. first they help US citizens to get together with their families. not the other way around.

emaan 06/12/2009 5:19am

I simply voted yes because I just knew the real waiting time after I got married abroad to my beloved fiancee.. Its really frustrating to have a honeymoon then leave your husband for unexpected long time !!!this is disastrous for me I don’t really know what I should do this is destroying our lives ..should I give up all my career goals and keep saving to go back and forth !!! should I give up my marriage and just wait for their mercy to give me right to live with my husband!!! I am really so depressed I can’t even work or think about anything else

mamasud91 06/01/2009 11:09am

This will help the lawfully abiden immigrants who have been only seeking a fair shot at their permanent residence dream for a long time (typically as long as a decade).

Wish this bill a good luck.

yvikrant 06/01/2009 3:53am

Please note that this bill DOES NOT ADD any new immigrants. It only approves the PENDING applications that are stuck due to inefficient processing by USCIS. This is not just good for the economy but this is MORALLY RIGHT THING TO DO – This is about fairness and treating people with dignity and respect. All the anti-immigrants who say “Oh we are for legal immigration. Our problem is with illegal immigration” should step up and support this bill instead of pretending that somehow they support legal immigration.

abaratar 06/20/2009 7:19pm
in reply to Avelino_Maestas Jun 06, 2009 5:46am

Avelino,
how is the paragraph below a talking point? A Talking point is something like “girls rule and boys drule” or “my body my choice”. A testimonial about someone’s wife who has been away for two years is not a talking point.

""""This bill will relieve the anxiety of honest hardworking tax-paying legal immigrants and unite them with their family. My wife’s been staying away from me for the last 2 years as I cannot add her to my pending green card application till the visa bulletin dates become current. It has been retrogressed to 1 Jan 2000 now. """""

silva9000 and pgeol both said the exact same thing, do you really believe both silva and pgeol use the same grammar, same words and have the exact same life situation? or was that just a “talking point”?

Did you also notice how the AstroTurf stopped after it was pointed out.

maushah 05/31/2009 4:22pm

The way it works today legal immigration takes more time than “illegal” immigration – this bill seeks to address the above and is one that should be supported by all.

fahadd 05/29/2009 8:27pm

This bill will go a long way, it will not only unite families but will also solve the housing crisis that our nation faces. Housing crisis is reportedly the major cause of the recent economic downturn. I sincerely hope and pray that honorable congress members will extend their full support to this bill.

Avelino_Maestas 06/06/2009 5:46am
in reply to abaratar Jun 04, 2009 11:14am

This often happens when an OpenCongress page is posted to sites that are advocating for or against a particular piece of legislation, or when a page is linked on a site like Digg or StumbleUpon. There is an influx of individuals who have never been to OpenCongress before: it is not a coincidence, but a logical outcome.

Several people may indeed be using similar “keywords” or “phrases”, but this is also expected: they’re called talking points.

I appreciate your concerns, but I have looked into the usernames and found no connection.

-Avelino Maestas
OpenCongress Community Manager

siva9000 05/29/2009 4:10pm

khaledsanad 06/01/2009 2:29pm

i am one of thousands HUMAN BEINGS suffering a lot, separated from his/her families, and nothing at hands able to do except asking you to help ..
support this bill and urge you to do your best and help us
i agree with this words This bill helps the U.S. economy by -

tony_pat 05/29/2009 5:48pm

Its high time that we reward those who follow the laws of the land and patiently wait for their turn to realize the American dream. This bill has my complete support.

gcretro 05/31/2009 7:23am
in reply to karmayogi May 27, 2009 7:48am

m_atique2009 06/08/2009 8:22am

This is a pure discrimination against Green Card holders or Lawful Permanent Residents that they have to wait for no reason due to caps. AS people say that this law is archaic and needs to be changed to end the suffering of families.

nagrajram 05/28/2009 6:00am

This bill will help reduce the backlog of Employment Based Immigration. I hope the Senators and Congressman would consider voting the bill to move in a positive direction

judy07 05/30/2009 5:19pm

I can think of several reason why this will beneficial for America:
a) These people are relatively younger and educated with high earning potential. They will help mitigate social security shortfall problems
b) These people are already in the work force and hence are not directly competing for the new jobs.
c) These people have been paying their taxes and doing everything by the books.
Hence I vote yes for the bill…

abaratar 06/04/2009 3:05pm